PDA

View Full Version : How will the Celtics fare against the West elite?

Supergirl
12-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Who will they lose to? On the road or at home?

Extra Stout
12-31-2007, 10:00 AM
They'll sweep Phoenix, and split against the other two.

Supergirl
12-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't think they'll win both games from any of the teams.

Tippecanoe
12-31-2007, 10:29 AM
we'll sweep everybody!!! :drunk

Supergirl
12-31-2007, 10:41 AM
we'll sweep everybody!!! :drunk

Is that what you honestly think, or are you being a homer?

Tippecanoe
12-31-2007, 10:48 AM
Is that what you honestly think, or are you being a homer?

of course its not what i honestly think. we'll probably split all three series, maybe even win the phoenix one. so 3-3, 4-2, one of those.

SpursDynasty
12-31-2007, 02:05 PM
They'll go 2-0 vs. Dallas, 2-0 vs. Phoenix.

0-2 vs. the Spurs.

By the way, don't you at least need a championship to be called elite?

Supergirl
12-31-2007, 02:11 PM
They'll go 2-0 vs. Dallas, 2-0 vs. Phoenix.

0-2 vs. the Spurs.

By the way, don't you at least need a championship to be called elite?

No, I don't believe that's in the definition of "elite."
Most sportswriters would consider the top teams in the West to be the Mavs, Suns, and Spurs. Most sportswriters think those teams have the best chance of winning the championship, too, if the champ stays in the west.

(The only real threats to the champ not staying in the West are Boston and Detroit, IMO --and most sportswriters seem to agree with this)

I am asking this poll because I read an article which noted that the Celtics, who have been on quite a tear lately, do not actually see any of the top 3 teams in the West until Jan 31. The only team they've played who is considered a genuine championship contender is Detroit, to whom they lost at home. Orlando is the only exception, and they're 1-1 against them.

Armando
12-31-2007, 05:27 PM
I say they split with the Spurs and might be able to take both games from Dallas and Phoenix. I think they pose more problems for the Mavs and the Suns then the Spurs.

Pistons < Spurs
12-31-2007, 06:03 PM
I think they'd do no worse than 4-2.

The biggest factor would IMO be how much travel, days off and/or back to backs were involved with the scheduling for them and the other 3 teams during those games.

dirk4mvp
12-31-2007, 06:04 PM
1-6

Ray Allen will hit a game winner against the Suns.

ajh18
12-31-2007, 06:39 PM
Here is a look at when Boston plays these 3 teams.

Dallas:
Jan 31, home
Mar 20, away, 3rd game in 4 nights

SA:
Feb 10, home
Mar 17, away, 1st of b2b with Houston

Pho:
Feb 22, away, 3rd game on 5 game road trip
Mar 22, home

IBased on the schedule, I would say that Boston loses the Mar 20th game in Dallas, and the Feb 22nd game in Pho. Then they split with SA. If they take all the rest, it's at best a 3-3 record.

Tippecanoe
12-31-2007, 06:42 PM
1-6

thats not physically possible :lol

SpursDynasty
12-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Boston has played 1 game against a real elite, Detroit, and lost that one game.

Armando
12-31-2007, 09:21 PM

On free throws. Billups needed free throws to win the game by 2 points. Less not forget that so far the Celts are 3-0 vs Toronto the division champs. I disagree with calling Detroit a real elite after the last 2 playoff seasons.

Armando
12-31-2007, 10:10 PM

Last season if I am correct Detroit lead the season series 3-1 over the Cavs. Did that help them at all in the East finals? You can't put to much into what teams they beat or don't beat in the regular season. By that logic the Cavs should have swept the Spurs in the Finals. Miami in 2006 is good example they were

0-2 vs Mavs
0-2 vs Suns
0-2 vs Spurs
1-3 vs Nets
0-2 vs Denver
1-3 vs Detroit

Each one of those teams except the Mavs were division leaders. Yet the Heat won the title despite their losing record against the elite teams that year. As Rasheed likes to say you make statements in the playoffs.

dirk4mvp
12-31-2007, 10:15 PM
thats not physically possible :lol

When the Celtics get their W over the Suns, D'antoni will bitch the league and have an extra game scheduled on with the Celtics, so yeah it's possible. :drunk

Armando
12-31-2007, 10:17 PM
When the Celtics get their W over the Suns, D'antoni will bitch the league and have an extra game scheduled on with the Celtics, so yeah it's possible. :drunk

I get the feeling the Celts will run the Suns out of the building. Imagine the big 3 playing the Sun's game. KG will feast on Stoudemire's matador defense.

dirk4mvp
12-31-2007, 10:19 PM
I get the feeling the Celts will run the Suns out of the building. Imagine the big 3 playing the Sun's game. KG will feast on Stoudemire's matador defense.

I think Marion and Pierce will cancel out each other for the most part. And all Raja Bell has to do is contain Ray. But I agree.. Garnett will rape the everloving shit out of Amare.

Armando
12-31-2007, 10:22 PM
I think Marion and Pierce will cancel out each other for the most part. And all Raja Bell has to do is contain Ray. But I agree.. Garnett will rape the everloving shit out of Amare.

Pierce will give Marion fits with his ability to draw fouls and you know the Celtics will have Rondo will attack Nash on defense.

icem
01-01-2008, 05:52 AM

KG and ray allen ALWAYS scorch the suns.... i dont see them as any competition for boston at all.

Supergirl
01-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I agree that the Suns are the poorest matchup for the C's with mediocre defense in the middle to contain KG.

The Spurs are in the best shape: KG and TD always effectively cancel each other out, and Bowen does a good job on Pierce. It will be interesting to see if Rondo can even begin to contain Parker, I think he and Manu are the real keys.

The Mavs are athletic enough to give them real problems, much like the give the Spurs problems. This is why I predicted them splitting the series with all the teams, but they could take both from the Suns.

Tippecanoe
01-01-2008, 01:15 PM
i think the real key for the celtics is for the bench to not get completely demolished. one of tony allen/house/posey is gonna have to step up big time, because i doubt pierce is willing to start the game on the bench.

traitoravery
01-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Are the Mavs still considered the West's Elite? I say no.

SpursDynasty
01-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Are the Mavs still considered the West's Elite? I say no.

If we HAD to pick the elite teams of the West - we could say SA, Phoenix, and Dallas.

But realistically, it's hard to call anyone in the West elite other than the Spurs. Dallas is a joke after losing in the first round and choking in the Finals, and Phoenix continues to come up short in the postseason...

So, the Spurs are really the only West team we can call elite.

Besides the Spurs, who else has won the championship this decade from the West other than the Lakers?

dirk4mvp
01-01-2008, 06:05 PM
If we HAD to pick the elite teams of the West - we could say SA, Phoenix, and Dallas.

But realistically, it's hard to call anyone in the West elite other than the Spurs. Dallas is a joke after losing in the first round and choking in the Finals, and Phoenix continues to come up short in the postseason...

So, the Spurs are really the only West team we can call elite.

Besides the Spurs, who else has won the championship this decade from the West other than the Lakers?

So the Lakers are just as elite as the Spurs are.

Armando
01-01-2008, 06:20 PM
i think the real key for the celtics is for the bench to not get completely demolished. one of tony allen/house/posey is gonna have to step up big time, because i doubt pierce is willing to start the game on the bench.

Posey has been in Finals games and is a good defender and 3 point shooter. Just ask the Mavs. The bench for them is not the greatest per say but they are good enough plus they might add someone elase they do have 2 spots open. Personally I think they should try for Cassell or Sergio Rodriguez in Portland. I know Cassell is like 100 years old but he still has enough left to give the Celts 15-20 minutes a game off the bench.

shelshor
01-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Celtics sweep the Suns and Mavs, split with the Spurs