PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year from New Mexico!

Jimcs50
12-31-2007, 08:42 PM
I want to go home!!!

Hope all of you have a great New Year's eve and a safe one too.

We are coming home tomorrow and can not wait to get home. Our ski trip has not been all that great.

First day, my son wipes out and hurts his knee. He tells me that he heart a popping sound when he fell, and that is not good. He managed to ski down the rest of the run(Blue) and we drove back down to our hotel in Santa Fe. We are here with another couple who happen to be physcians, and that night they looked at his knee and they tell us that it is probably a torn ACL or at best a torn medial meniscus( just like his dad 2 years ago) :depressed

I do not know how he skied down the rest of the run, if indeed it is his ACL.

We called our neighbor, the Orthopedic doc and we have an appointment for an MRI on Wednesday at 7:30, he will see him at 8:30, so we hope that we will hear better news, and he will not need surgury.

More fun:

Last night at 1 am, the hotel fire alarm starts blaring an ear piercing shrill, which wakes me out of a sound sleep. My wife tells us to get up and get out of the room. You do not know how ill prepared you are in the middle of the night to get clothes on and grab what you need to get out of a hotel quickly, until you actually have to do so.

We throw on some clothes as fast as humanly possible and feel the door like you are supposed to, then open it and see everyone running for the stairs at the end of the hallway. We make it down the stairs, me, my wife and my gimpy son, then get outside into the 19 degree weather. I notice my wife did not grab her coat, and she is in a short sleeved tee shirt and sweat pants. I also did not get my wallet or car keys, so I run back up the stairs to the while my wife is screaming at me to stay put outside. I get back to the room, grap her coat, my wallet and car keys and high tail it back outside.

Three fire trucks and three of Santa Fe's finest arrive in in about 5 mins. We all are standing outside while all go into the hotel to find what the fuck is going on. They find out that there was a small fire in the maintainence closet that set off the smoke alarms but not the sprinklers.

After an hour and a half freezing our asses off, they clear everything so we can all go back to our rooms. :elephant

What a way to end the year. Hope the new year is a whole lot better.

angel_luv
12-31-2007, 08:53 PM
Happy New Year. :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-31-2007, 09:02 PM
That sucks. I have friends from Tucson up who are up in Santa Fe right now. Their mom is with them and had to go into the hospital on Christmas eve and is still in the hospital up there.

Sounds like my 'land of enchantment' hasn't been all that enchanting for peeps this year.

On a lighter note, my baby brother was just snowboarding in Santa Fe yesterday and had a great time, so it's not all bad news from the city different.

ShoogarBear
12-31-2007, 09:05 PM
Next time, stay in the U.S.

T Park
01-01-2008, 02:49 AM
No offense to anyone, but you couldn't pay me enough, to go to New Mexico on vacation.

Hope your son feels better jim.

Kori Ellis
01-01-2008, 03:03 AM
No offense to anyone, but you couldn't pay me enough, to go to New Mexico on vacation.

You have obviously never spent much time there. It's one of the most beautiful places in the country and a great place for family vacations - camping, hiking, fishing, skiing, etc.

Happy New Year Jim (and everyone else). I hope it's not a torn ACL.

Jimcs50
01-01-2008, 10:30 AM
You have obviously never spent much time there. It's one of the most beautiful places in the country and a great place for family vacations - camping, hiking, fishing, skiing, etc.

Happy New Year Jim (and everyone else). I hope it's not a torn ACL.

Thankyou Kori.

TPark, Kori is right, NM is beautiful and the people are friendly as heck. We went to Los Alamos yesterday and to the science museum and had a great time, and learned a lot about our weapons program and about the history of the atom bomb race to end the war. I highly recommend it to anyone......also the Los Alamos area is beautiful.

Jimcs50
01-01-2008, 10:37 AM
That sucks. I have friends from Tucson up who are up in Santa Fe right now. Their mom is with them and had to go into the hospital on Christmas eve and is still in the hospital up there.

Sounds like my 'land of enchantment' hasn't been all that enchanting for peeps this year.

On a lighter note, my baby brother was just snowboarding in Santa Fe yesterday and had a great time, so it's not all bad news from the city different.

Ed, the skiing is quite good. I did not know til I got there that Santa Fe's ski resort has the 2nd highest base elevation in the country at 10,200 feet. The top of the mountain where we skied is 12,100 feet so the snow is perfect. They get over 200 inches of snow a year too. Everyone said that the resort was the most crowed it has ever been the last few days and stil we had hardly any waits at the lift lines, so all in all, I do recommend any skiers in here to come here.

Jekka
01-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Ed, the skiing is quite good. I did not know til I got there that Santa Fe's ski resort has the 2nd highest base elevation in the country at 10,200 feet. The top of the mountain where we skied is 12,100 feet so the snow is perfect. They get over 200 inches of snow a year too. Everyone said that the resort was the most crowed it has ever been the last few days and stil we had hardly any waits at the lift lines, so all in all, I do recommend any skiers in here to come here.
My family has skiied there many many times - not only is the skiing pretty good (not the most difficult mountain by any means, but I don't need every place I ski to be A-Basin), but my mom who has back problems and can't ski has Santa Fe in which to entertain herself while we're on the slopes.

New Mexico is one of my favorite places in the world :)

travis2
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I didn't care much for living in New Mexico (of course, I was in Alamogordo at the time...:rolleyes), but I agree it is a great place to visit.

Hope your son is OK, Jim...

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-02-2008, 12:20 PM

B2B, I now have that proof you needed that there is a God.

baseline bum
01-02-2008, 12:47 PM

New Mexico looks like crap when you're driving through it on I-10, but it's actually a really cool place. Lot's of great hikes through Pueblo ruins, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, in the mountains, and so on.

thispego
01-02-2008, 01:14 PM
wait wait wait wait, there's a NEW Mexico now?

Jimcs50
01-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Bad news.

Had MRI done this morning and doc told us that ACL is torn, just as feared.

:depressed

Jimcs50
01-02-2008, 01:46 PM
New Mexico looks like crap when you're driving through it on I-10, but it's actually a really cool place. Lot's of great hikes through Pueblo ruins, Carlsbad Caverns, White Sands, in the mountains, and so on.

IH 10 goes through the southern part of NM. The northern part in the mountains is quite breathtaking....huge difference.

Texas is quite ugly in a lot of the state, but there are some beautiful parts too....remember that.

travis2
01-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Bad news.

sorry to hear that...

Kori Ellis
01-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Bad news.

That sucks! Sorry!

tlongII
01-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Bad news.

Bummer. There goes the athletic scholarship offers... :depressed

CubanMustGo
01-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Sorry to hear about the ACL.

And Jim's right, judging NM by any small part of it is as bad (or worse) than saying "Texas is all flat, hot, and dusty."

thispego
01-02-2008, 02:14 PM
how old is your kid Jim? was he skiing or snow boarding?

Jimcs50
01-02-2008, 02:38 PM
how old is your kid Jim? was he skiing or snow boarding?

He was on snow blades.

The doc did not know how he was able to ski down the rest of the run with his injury....he is a real trooper....I would have had them carry me down on one of those stretchers. :lol

travis2
01-02-2008, 02:42 PM

He was on snow blades.

The doc did not know how he was able to ski down the rest of the run with his injury....he is a real trooper....I would have had them carry me down on one of those stretchers. :lol

especially if the ski patrol was female, right? :D

Jimcs50
01-02-2008, 02:46 PM
especially if the ski patrol was female, right? :D

You got that right...I would have a great view of her ass all the way down.

:lol

come to think of it, my son would have requested that too, had he thought about it, as he is a walking hormone. :)

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Sorry about your kiddo's knee, Jim, but I'm sure he'll bounce back better than ever. :)

I can tour guide anyone who wants to see the beauty of NM......for a nominal fee.

thispego
01-02-2008, 03:40 PM

He was on snow blades.

damn that sucks, especially that he didnt get some skiing in before the accident

tlongII
01-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Sorry to hear about the ACL.

And Jim's right, judging NM by any small part of it is as bad (or worse) than saying "Texas is all flat, hot, and dusty."

Texas is what it is.

Hot.

Flat.

Dusty.

Jimcs50
01-02-2008, 03:57 PM
damn that sucks, especially that he didnt get some skiing in before the accident

He was on his 3rd trip down the mountain.

I think what might have contributed to this is that my friend, the doctor and his son went up with Brent the run before, whan I was with my wife and they took him down a Black run on his second trip down. We had not skied in a year and I think that Black run so early in the trip fatigued his muscles and that was what made him susceptable to this injury. I was kind of pissed about it, but let it go. Oh well.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2008, 02:15 AM
I can tour guide anyone who wants to see the beauty of NM......for a nominal fee.Does this include the much-discussed female ski patrol's asses?

travis2
01-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Does this include the much-discussed female ski patrol's asses?

Only if Jim doesn't get there first...

Sportcamper
01-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Glad you are enjoying your latest vacation Dr. Jim….

I get a few days off in August...Was thinking of heading up to Bakersfield...

Jimcs50
01-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Glad you are enjoying your latest vacation Dr. Jim….

I get a few days off in August...Was thinking of heading up to Bakersfield...

Camper, Bakersfield, eh? I was driving home one early Sunday morning through Bakersfield listening to gospel music on the colored radio station and the preacher said, "You know you always have the Lord by your side" And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran twenty red lights in his honor.

I had an arrangement to meet a girl, and I was kind of late and I thought by the time I got there she'd be off with the nearest truck driver she could find, much to my surprise, there she was sittin in the corner a little bleary, worse for wear and tear was a girl with far away eyes.

ShoogarBear
01-03-2008, 02:01 PM
"Colored radio station?"

Damn, you are old.

travis2
01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
"Colored radio station?"

Damn, you are old.

Obviously a cut and paste...the spelling gave him away...:lol

Shelly
01-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Yikes! That sucks! Hope he has a speedy recovery!

Jimcs50
01-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Obviously a cut and paste...the spelling gave him away...:lol

This is a Rolling Stones' song. The word Bakersfield flashed me to the song.....