PDA

View Full Version : Jeff McDonald: Bonner answers call of the bench

Spurs Brazil
01-01-2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.010108.bkn.Spurs.notebook.EN.28fa8eb.html

Pro basketball: Bonner answers call of the bench

Web Posted: 12/31/2007 10:39 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs reserve Matt Bonner enters every game with the same scrappy mentality.
"Whether I get in for 30 seconds or 30 minutes," Bonner said, "I'm going to play hard and put the effort forth on things I can control."

Though Bonner's job description never changes, his workload has. With the Spurs' bench decimated with injuries of late, Bonner — a 6-foot-10 forward — has emerged as the team's most valuable reserve.

Afforded extra minutes with Manu Ginobili and Brent Barry both sidelined, Bonner has responded with three consecutive double-digit scoring efforts off the bench.

He had 18 points in Sunday's victory over Memphis, his second-highest scoring outing of the year.

Perhaps more important to the Spurs than any statistical number, however, is the vigor Bonner has been able to provide off the bench — tapping out rebounds, defending inside and generally pounding on opposing players.

"He always plays with energy," coach Gregg Popovich said. "He's just that kind of player. He's physical and he's always ready to go."

Proof of Bonner's productivity: Over the past three games, the Spurs are 41 points better with him on the court than off of it.

Finger protection: After missing the past three games with a sprained left index finger, Ginobili's status remains up in the air for Thursday's game at Denver. When he does return, Ginobili will wear a protective plastic split on his injured digit.

The left-handed Ginobili admits the contraption will make shooting the ball a bit uncomfortable.

"But if it's a choice between that and sitting," Ginobili said, "the choice is easy."

Lineup shuffle: It will be interesting to see how Popovich fills the starting center position in games to come. Robert Horry was a late addition to the lineup Sunday against Memphis — so late that Fabricio Oberto was actually introduced as the Spurs' starter.

It was an unexpected switch, considering Horry had played 11 minutes, seven seconds total in the previous three games combined and hadn't started a game all year.

After the game, Popovich was mum on whether the move might be permanent.

Rest for the weary: With no games between Sunday's victory over Memphis and Thursday's trip to Denver, the Spurs will get a much-needed break heading into the New Year.

The team did not practice Monday and will not practice today. A brief workout is scheduled for Wednesday before the Spurs board their flight for Colorado.

[email protected]

m33p0
01-01-2008, 09:13 AM
Spurs reserve Matt Bonner enters every game with the same scrappy mentality.
"Whether I get in for 30 seconds or 30 minutes," Bonner said, "I'm going to play hard and put the effort forth on things I can control."
perfect role player mentality. :tu

Proof of Bonner's productivity: Over the past three games, the Spurs are 41 points better with him on the court than off of it.
:tu :tu :tu

JPB
01-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Not to mention he's perfect from the FT line.

21/21 so far.

Darkwaters
01-01-2008, 10:10 AM
I do really like Bonner. Hes obviously had difficulties this season at times, but he can be a quality guy in this system. While the opportunity cost of Bonner was high (too high) I still am glad hes on the team.

Bruno
01-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Bonner has had a slow start but he has played well lately. He is a valuable role player.

T Park
01-01-2008, 03:28 PM

Wow the Bonner haters have to cringe when they see that.

Ronaldo McDonald
01-01-2008, 05:20 PM
bonner is an easy guy to like because he plays hard every second of every game, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, and can shoot.

imo he's basically is a combination of an unathletic robert horry and malik rose with better decision making and less turnovers.

Tippecanoe
01-01-2008, 05:26 PM
cue sequ's "bonner sucks"

Dex
01-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm not sure how much I like the idea of Ginobili playing with a splint.

Sure, the Spurs offense is a little weaker with him out. But it downright sputters if he plays, but plays crappy. Plus it's only giving him another chance to aggravate the injury further.

It's still only January, and we've got the best record in the West. I'd rather see him rest than to be playing with a taped up shooting hand.

loveforthegame
01-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm not sure about Ginobli returning either. At least he'll have a protective splint on there but how much will it effect what he does out there? I wonder if they're having him play a couple games to see if they can go ahead and waive Langford and Johnson before the 10th?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-01-2008, 11:02 PM
I would sit Manu out for a little longer and give some time to Langford. I have a feeling we got something special in this guy.

SequSpur
01-01-2008, 11:14 PM
the more bonner plays, the more the spurs lose. fact.

Tippecanoe
01-01-2008, 11:21 PM

too easy :spin

SouthernFried
01-02-2008, 12:42 AM
What exactly is the matter with Manu's finger? Ligaments or bone? Either needs adequate time and rehab to heal properly. 6 weeks on fairly common injuries. Not sure exactly what Manu's problem is.

BonnerDynasty
01-02-2008, 01:10 AM
I guess one must be a cleanly shaven frenchman for Sequ to like you.

ancestron
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
Bonner's face looks funny when he shoots free throws

m33p0
01-02-2008, 09:54 PM
What exactly is the matter with Manu's finger? Ligaments or bone? Either needs adequate time and rehab to heal properly. 6 weeks on fairly common injuries. Not sure exactly what Manu's problem is.
stretched ligaments which is causing the joint on his left index finger to be unstable (and liable to bend in any direction its not normally used to. ouch.)

m33p0
01-02-2008, 09:56 PM

too easy :spin

:lmao