PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Mailbag: Ups and downs on the I-35 pipeline

Spurs Brazil
01-01-2008, 09:13 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA123107.spurs-mailbag-WEB.en.6e3e91e4.html

Spurs Mailbag: Ups and downs on the I-35 pipeline

Web Posted: 12/31/2007 02:53 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

If you were driving either or north or south between here and Austin at any point in December, there was a good chance you passed a future or former San Antonio Spur at a crossroads.

Darius Washington, Marcus Williams, Keith Langford and DerMarr Johnson all made the trip one way or another in the past few weeks.

The direction each player's car traveled was a good indicator of the direction of his career. This time, heading south was a good thing.

Going south to the big club in San Antonio were Langford and Johnson. Going north – and heading down – were Washington and Williams.

With their top two bench scorers – Manu Ginobili and Brent Barry – shelved with injuries, the Spurs raided their Developmental League affiliate in Austin in search of swingman depth.

It led to a busy convoy of NBA wannabes burning the Interstate-35 blacktop between Austin and San Antonio, as the Spurs shuffled through a host of ex-Toros.

Washington was jettisoned last week to make room for Williams, who was waived two days after the Spurs signed him (good thing they kept the receipt).

Both those players remain the property of the Toros, though it is unclear whether they will return to Austin or pursue other opportunities.

Theoretically, Washington and Williams are free to sign with another NBA team. Washington, a wildly talented rookie scorer who simply didn't fit the Spurs' prototype for a backup point guard, is likely to generate some interest.

Meanwhile, it is difficult to forecast the future of the two players who came south from Austin last week.

Langford, a rookie from Kansas who was dominating the Developmental League, still seems to be somewhat of a project player. Johnson is a former first-round draft pick desperate to shed his bust label.

Both players made their Spurs regular-season debut in garbage time against Memphis, and remain on the roster for now.

"We're just rotating some guys and trying to get a look," a non-committal coach Gregg Popovich said.

Both Langford and Johnson are under non-guaranteed contracts worth the minimum league rules will allow the Spurs to pay them. Their deals won't become guaranteed unless they are still on the roster Jan. 10.

It's a safe bet that only one will be, if that.

When Ginobili and Barry return, somebody will almost certainly be making that drive back to Austin.

Somehow, the drive north will seem longer than the drive south.

Now, on to your e-mails …

Why doesn't Pop play Robert Horry more. I have followed his career since coming in the league and he needs more playing time and should be told to shoot more. He can also play the three spot. He is too versatile a player to be playing only five or six minutes and don't give me that age issue. Rob cannot get into a rhythm playing few minutes.

–Hal Lassiter, Houston

Horry was an out-of-nowhere starter against Memphis, although by game's end he still had given away most of his minutes to Matt Bonner. There's a reason for that: Bonner is a better player right now.

Horry can still contribute, but at age 37 – sorry, it is an issue – it's unrealistic to expect him to provide more than an occasional "Big Shot Rob" moment. If the Spurs are lucky, those moments will come in the playoffs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Ian Mahinmi coming back from the D-League?

–Ridge Miller, Freeport

If all goes to plan, October.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Nuggets are going to win the championship. What do you think?

–Michael, Littleton, Colo.

I think the thin air in Denver might be going to your head.

Is Tony Parker the MVP for the Spurs? Or Duncan or Ginobili?

–Stanford, Melrose Park, Ill.

After watching the Spurs struggle during December with each of those three All-Stars trading time on the injured list, the answer to your question is: Yes.

Is Ginobili ever going to be considered seriously among the MVP candidates by the press?

–Guigui, Pompano Beach, Fla.

Probably not. On a national level, Tim Duncan is – and always will be – considered the Spurs' MVP candidate. Coming off the bench, Ginobili won't produce the kind of numbers necessary to garner MVP consideration.

He will have to make do with challenging for the league's Sixth Man of the Year Award. No shame in that.

Considering the Spurs' slow starts, why isn't Manu a starter? Pop has viable reasons, but in truth, Manu would and should start on any other team.

–John, Austin

True, but he doesn't play for any other team. The Spurs have always done things a little bit differently. Utilizing Ginobili as a reserve lengthens the Spurs' bench – there is a reason they lead the NBA in bench scoring – and allows Ginobili to spend significant minutes on the floor as the team's primary scorer.

At some point during every game, Duncan and Parker sit, and Ginobili is basically allowed to run amok. This wouldn't happen if Ginobili were a starter.

Do you think there will be changes if the Spurs don't repeat? The NBA is about making roster changes.

–Nigel, Chicago

New Year's Eve is a little early to be fielding this question, but … yeah, there will probably be roster changes no matter what happens.

Barring something unforeseen, Horry will retire. Brent Barry has an expiring contract and could go the same route. Francisco Elson and Michael Finley also have expiring deals.

The Spurs will have roster space and a modicum of cap space to work with, so some change is not only possible, but probable. Win or lose a title, however, we wouldn't hold our breath for some sort of wholesale change.

m33p0
01-01-2008, 09:23 AM
I think the thin air in Denver might be going to your head.
:lmao

At some point during every game, Duncan and Parker sit, and Ginobili is basically allowed to run amok. This wouldn't happen if Ginobili were a starter.
this should be the standard answer to all the "why manu isn't a starter?" questions. somebody please put this on cue cards and handed to every spurs fan.

SenorSpur
01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Interesting point in the article

Theoretically, Washington and Williams are free to sign with another NBA team. Washington, a wildly talented rookie scorer who simply didn't fit the Spurs' prototype for a backup point guard, is likely to generate some interest.

So if Washington does not fit the Spurs' prototype for a backup PG, then what is the prototype? Perhaps another 30+ year-old, veteran journeyman-type?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-01-2008, 11:39 AM
So if Washington does not fit the Spurs' prototype for a backup PG, then what is the prototype?
I'm guessing that the Spurs are looking for a pass first-shoot second player like Vaughn to even out the point guard duties with Tony, and since Washington was more of a scorer than a passer like Tony, the Spurs lost interest in him.

remingtonbo2001
01-01-2008, 01:49 PM
im still baffled by the F.O. giving up on Washington so soon, or it at least appears that way. Maybe they figured the cut would further motivate him, possibily keeping their eye on him over the next season or two. Who knows?

LaMarcus Bryant
01-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I still cannot even come close to understanding and accepting why we are pissing away the rights to a backup pointguard with potential miles and miles beyond a backup point guard we kept for years and years that did jack shit and showed no promise.

unbelievable

Bruno
01-01-2008, 02:54 PM
Spurs FO is horrible, they have dumped a midget SG who wasn't better than CJ Watson.

T Park
01-01-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah what the hell does that Spurs FO know.

The dorks sitting behind computers are WAYYYY SMARTER!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
01-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Darius led the D-League in turnovers and had an assist/turnover ratio of .91 -- he just wasn't making much progress. Well coached teams like the Utah Flash figured him out pretty easily and took him out of his game.

thispego
01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Interesting point in the article

So if Washington does not fit the Spurs' prototype for a backup PG, then what is the prototype? Perhaps another 30+ year-old, veteran journeyman-type?
it was washingtons dunk attempt against the lakers(?) that did him in

ChumpDumper
01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
It was the four charges against the Flash that did him in.

703 Spurz
01-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Spurs FO is horrible, they have dumped a midget SG who wasn't better than CJ Watson.

Yeah, one of the worst FO's in the league :rolleyes

some_user86
01-02-2008, 12:29 PM
Yeah, one of the worst FO's in the league :rolleyes

I don't think you get the joke there.

BeerIsGood!
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
I can't believe the Spurs would give up on such a great prospect just like they gave up on that great prospect James White!

Wait, where is James White! playing these days?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-02-2008, 01:12 PM
He plays in Turkey on a team called Fenerbahce Ulker, where he averages 9.3 points and 2.9 rebounds per 24 minutes.

smeagol
01-02-2008, 01:15 PM
The dorks sitting behind computers are WAYYYY SMARTER!!!!!!

Are you calling cbf a dork?

MoSpur
01-02-2008, 02:17 PM
Washington looks to score more than pass. I think the Spurs want a backup PG who can just hold the fort while Parker sits. That means do not turn the ball over and score only when you're open. IMO

ChumpDumper
01-02-2008, 03:07 PM
I think the Spurs were hoping they might be able to get a player who could kind of duplicate Parker's game while he was out. Washington has the raw tools to do that but really needs to work more on his decisionmaking and court vision when he drives.

remingtonbo2001
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
I think the Spurs were hoping they might be able to get a player who could kind of duplicate Parker's game while he was out. Washington has the raw tools to do that but really needs to work more on his decisionmaking and court vision when he drives.

Precisely....With good coaching and some dedication I figured Washington, over time, would learn these things.

Didn't James White have attitude issues? Could the same be said for Washington?

ducks
01-03-2008, 09:45 AM

After watching the Spurs struggle during December with each of those three All-Stars trading time on the injured list, the answer to your question is: Yes.

SenorSpur
01-03-2008, 10:38 AM
This so-called "revolviing door" is a bit concerning. At what point do the Spurs start developing talent? They have the pipeline and the infrastructure in place. However, they seem to get the least from the domestic talent pool than most other clubs.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2008, 12:14 PM
This so-called "revolviing door" is a bit concerning. At what point do the Spurs start developing talent? They have the pipeline and the infrastructure in place. However, they seem to get the least from the domestic talent pool than most other clubs.That's true from an NBA draft point of view, but I disagree as far as the Toros are concerned. The Spurs have played their cards very well for the most part stocking the Toros' roster with both quality D-League players as well as some with NBA potential.

The needs of the Spurs are different from most crappy NBA teams. The club can't really spend a lot of time developing inexperienced late-round draft picks because they want to win championships. That's why they bought a D-League team. If you ask when the Spurs are going to start developing talent, you haven't been paying attention.

da_suns_fan
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM

:rolleyes

Im not sure Parker is even as important as Bruce Bowen.

You take Parker off the Spurs and they're still championship material.

Can't say the same for Ginobili or Duncan.

td4mvp21
01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
:rolleyes

Im not sure Parker is even as important as Bruce Bowen.

You take Parker off the Spurs and they're still championship material.

Can't say the same for Ginobili or Duncan.

I hope the Suns think of Parker as insignificant too.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Keep all the Suns on the roster and they still aren't championship material.

SenorSpur
01-03-2008, 01:14 PM
That's true from an NBA draft point of view, but I disagree as far as the Toros are concerned. The Spurs have played their cards very well for the most part stocking the Toros' roster with both quality D-League players as well as some with NBA potential.

The needs of the Spurs are different from most crappy NBA teams. The club can't really spend a lot of time developing inexperienced late-round draft picks because they want to win championships. That's why they bought a D-League team. If you ask when the Spurs are going to start developing talent, you haven't been paying attention.

What I'm paying attention to is the absence of a 3rd point guard. Obviously, Washington has his flaws, but we were led to believe that the club favored his long-term potential to that of Beno. Now they have nothing behind TP and JV. At some point, you've got to pick a guy, ride with him - even if he is occupying the 14th or 15th spot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Keep all the Suns on the roster and they still aren't championship material.

:lol

ChumpDumper
01-03-2008, 01:40 PM
What I'm paying attention to is the absence of a 3rd point guard. Obviously, Washington has his flaws, but we were led to believe that the club favored his long-term potential to that of Beno. Now they have nothing behind TP and JV. At some point, you've got to pick a guy, ride with him - even if he is occupying the 14th or 15th spot.Even if he sucks?

There are actually a few point guards available who would do fine to finish out the season if that's all we're looking for. Few projects are going to do better than Manu or Barry at this time in actual games, so I'd worry about that only if both were going to be out for months.

Personally I'd like to see Langford developed as a combo guard because he can do a fair job of running the point. If not, I have trouble understanding why the Spurs haven't picked up CJ Watson already, but we haven't reached a crisis mode by a long shot.

tomcat
01-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Interesting that you mention Langford as combo material. I actually think that is what the Spurs have in mind as Pop is giving him time at the point in practice.

Little bit of inside info from his girlfriend who is an intern with the Austin Toros! Cutie pie she is.

ChumpDumper
01-03-2008, 01:54 PM
That makes the most sense to me. He is short for a shooting guard but has excellent size for the point, and his attacking style that Pop has encouraged makes me think that Langford has replaced Darius Washington as the Tony Parker Lite project.

I'm not allowed to talk to the cute interns or dancers.... :frying:

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 02:08 PM
:tu go Keith.

SenorSpur
01-03-2008, 02:14 PM
A coouple of questions on Langford.

What kind of handle does he have?
Does he have prior PG experience?
Could he be used at some point at the NBA level - in a pinch?