View Full Version : Defensive Stats

td4mvp21
01-02-2008, 12:44 AM
So, interesting defensive stats:

RPG: 41.89 (17th in league)
Opponents: 38.82
Margin: 3.06

Opponent FG %: 45.5% :pctoss

BPG: 3.75 (29th in the league, ahead of fucking New York)
Opponents: 4.79

The only one that I am happy with is the rebounding. It shows the Spurs are hitting the boards this year and its nice to see the margin go up from the past 3 years. Closer to vintage Spurs basketball. A contributing factor is Oberto-he's averaging 6.1 rpg in only 21 mpg. :tu

The blocking and Opponent FG% is disgusting. Duncan is only averaging 1.8 blocks per game-he could be blocking 3 shots per game. I know his minutes are lower but still, Duncan is an exceptional defender. Also, we all know about the opponent fg%. I really think it's the paint we are having problems with-although that's just a guess, I have no statistics to back it up.

I'd like to see those two statistics drastically improve over the season.

remingtonbo2001
01-02-2008, 02:20 AM
The low BPG is due to Duncan/Elson/Horry missing a large amount of games this year. If the three had participated in the full schuedle up to this point that number would be much higher.

Without those three...ESPECIALLY DUNCAN...we tend to lean more on perimeter defense...instead of forcing shooters to the inside.

I'd imagine our SPG is higher at this point in the year.

Tek_XX
01-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Are blocks really that important of a stat?

mystargtr34
01-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Spurs defense is all about footwork and positioning - cutting off the driving lanes etc. Then we have 21 back there to erase any mistakes and alter close shots and make them tough.

some_user86
01-02-2008, 05:46 AM
I find it more telling that our defense isn't up to snuff when our opposition FG% is .455, ranking us at 21. Our 3pt opposition FG% is .341, ranking us at 9. That's just pathetic. I know, I know, it's only December/early January...

m33p0
01-02-2008, 06:41 AM
Are blocks really that important of a stat?
only if a team can secure the ball afterwards. and it does indirectly affect opponent fg% in that they will have to think about a shotblocker lurking somewhere behind them.

m33p0
01-02-2008, 06:43 AM
I find it more telling that our defense isn't up to snuff when our opposition FG% is .455, ranking us at 21. Our 3pt opposition FG% is .341, ranking us at 9. That's just pathetic. I know, I know, it's only December/early January...
good news is that pop and the rest of the team knows it can be better. the team will work towards attaining the level they had last playoffs as the season progresses (with fingers crossed).

TDMVPDPOY
01-02-2008, 06:52 AM
stats are important to determine who wins awards, since the nba and media craves all over it

ps. like that dpoy last season who was exposed as the poser he is....tim duncan and bruce juice owns

We born to be bad
01-02-2008, 08:13 AM
So, interesting defensive stats:

RPG: 41.89 (17th in league)
Opponents: 38.82
Margin: 3.06

Opponent FG %: 45.5% :pctoss

BPG: 3.75 (29th in the league, ahead of fucking New York)
Opponents: 4.79

The only one that I am happy with is the rebounding. It shows the Spurs are hitting the boards this year and its nice to see the margin go up from the past 3 years. Closer to vintage Spurs basketball. A contributing factor is Oberto-he's averaging 6.1 rpg in only 21 mpg. :tu
only 21mpg? :wow

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...EN.28fa8eb.html

Lineup shuffle: It will be interesting to see how Popovich fills the starting center position in games to come. Robert Horry was a late addition to the lineup Sunday against Memphis — so late that Fabricio Oberto was actually introduced as the Spurs' starter.

It was an unexpected switch, considering Horry had played 11 minutes, seven seconds total in the previous three games combined and hadn't started a game all year.

After the game, Popovich was mum on whether the move might be permanent.

[email protected]

:wow it seems to be our need is greater than your :p: please bring us Oberto! Oberto >>>>Skinner