PDA

View Full Version : best team in the country

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 07:04 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3176724

Dre_7
01-02-2008, 07:12 AM
But are they as good as the SC team of 2 yrs ago that was comsidered the greatest team ever in CFB (well until that Rose Bowl against UT, lol)? Fuck EPSN.

SC lost to Stanford and Oregon. If Dixon doesnt get hurt, Oregon is in the Rose Bowl against IL.

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 07:48 AM
But are they as good as the SC team of 2 yrs ago that was comsidered the greatest team ever in CFB (well until that Rose Bowl against UT, lol)? Fuck EPSN.

SC lost to Stanford and Oregon. If Dixon doesnt get hurt, Oregon is in the Rose Bowl against IL.

wrong, they are in the national championship game and SC is still in the Rose Bowl...nice try though. furthermore, if you want to play the what if game...if Booty doesn't get hurt SC beats Oregon (they only lost by 7).

lebomb
01-02-2008, 08:16 AM
Its all bullshit.......noone knows who can beat who on any given day. USC could fall to anyone if the other team is playing with passion.....or maybe not. Who the fuck knows, so this argument is foolish. :rolleyes

Extra Stout
01-02-2008, 09:01 AM
In other sports, they have a method of settling arguments about which team is the best at the end of the season. What they do is have the best teams play a tournament, and the team that wins the tournament is declared champion.

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 09:03 AM
In other sports, they have a method of settling arguments about which team is the best at the end of the season. What they do is have the best teams play a tournament, and the team that wins the tournament is declared champion.

lol. hey, you want to send me some beer?

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 09:10 AM
hmm...everyone is all over SC's nuts right now. but, then again, they are the best.

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 09:16 AM
lou holtz just put his top 5 (today) at:

1. SC
2. Georgia
3. Oklahoma
4. Ohio State
5. ?

...hilarious, his top 3 isn't even in the title game. all this talk is good though, more pressure for a playoff. btw, holtz said you could see another split national title with either USC, Georgia, and Oklahoma since only the coaches poll is made to vote for the BCS title game winner.

Go SC!!!

JamStone
01-02-2008, 09:20 AM
USC did "LOOK" like the best team in the country. Too bad they aren't.

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 09:42 AM
USC did "LOOK" like the best team in the country. Too bad they aren't.

SC is probably the best...true.

BeerIsGood!
01-02-2008, 11:21 AM
other than Georgia, SC got the weakest opponent who really didnt belong in the bcs bowl. I'm not going to say they aren't the best in the country, but the Rose Bowl sure didnt prove anything. There are so many potentially good matchups that a playoff could have brought this year that its a shame we have to settle for that BS yesterday.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-02-2008, 12:05 PM
You cant call a team who isnt in the National Championship game and havent won it in 3 years the "best team in the country" especially when they have 2 losses with 1 being at home to Stanford.

NoMoneyDown
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Wow. That has got to be one of the biggest USC kiss-arse articles I've seen from ESPN. The writer uses the Illinois game as the litmus test for a USC/tOSU match-up??? Are you kidding me??? LMFAO! What about Stanford? I guess since Ohio State never gets the opportunity to play them then it doesn't count?

On a similar note ...

BTW, anyone see where Oklahoma was pleading with the BCS to play someone higher ranked than WVU? They lost to TWO UNRANKED teams and have the gall to want to play someone else besides a team that only lost to one unranked team. LMAO! Not only do I hope WVU wins because of Rodriguez's unprofessional departure, but also because OU needs to get their heads out of the clouds and realize they are far from being 'all that'.

BeerIsGood!
01-02-2008, 12:52 PM
I want OU to get smoked because they're a bunch of dirty okies mixed in with traitorous Texans. Fuck them.

Ballcox
01-02-2008, 12:54 PM
^lol, a usc team that LOST to 41 point dog Stanford? Puuullllease. :lol

leemajors
01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
simply greatness.

Vinny Del Negro
01-02-2008, 01:40 PM
traditional bowl tie-ins robbed the fans of usc vs. georgia. that game would've been the sicknastiness that could've really started some arguments.

tlongII
01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
USC IS the best team in the country right now. No question. Yes, they lost to Stanford but SO WHAT? No team has gone thru the season unscathed this year.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-02-2008, 02:54 PM
USC IS the best team in the country right now. No question. Yes, they lost to Stanford but SO WHAT? No team has gone thru the season unscathed this year.

If they truly were the best, they wouldnt have lost that game and could have been in a different situation. Last year they lost to Oregon State and UCLA so were they the best team in the country that year too? They are a very good team no question but they arent the best team in the country. If they were, they would be playing in the BCS Championship game. Saying that is just like saying Kansas is the best team in the country despite losing to Missouri.

MosesGuthrie
01-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Further proof why we need a playoff or at least a plus one.

Dirk Nowitzki
01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
Further proof why we need a playoff or at least a plus one.

I'm actually okay with the BCS. Hawaii sucked and werent even bcs worthy. Thing is if you have a weak schedule, change up your non-conference games and play an elite team or 2 and DONT lose to them or teams you shouldnt lose to. You do a playoff and the team that gets left out will bitch about it.

NoMoneyDown
01-02-2008, 03:17 PM
If they truly were the best, they wouldnt have lost that game and could have been in a different situation. Last year they lost to Oregon State and UCLA so were they the best team in the country that year too? They are a very good team no question but they arent the best team in the country. If they were, they would be playing in the BCS Championship game. Saying that is just like saying Kansas is the best team in the country despite losing to Missouri.

Amen. The funny thing is that LSU (like USC) lost to TWO teams that are currently UNRANKED in the BCS. Oklahoma also lost to TWO teams that are currently unranked in the BCS. However, there are a few teams that have only lost to ONE (currently) unranked team, or, like Ohio St. and VTech, -0- unranked teams. This season has just been downright crazy to say the least. But to say USC is the best team right now just because they pummeled Illinois in the Rose Bowl is funny.

Extra Stout
01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
You do a playoff and the team that gets left out will bitch about it.
In an 8-team playoff, the big controversy would be about Hawaii getting in instead of Kansas or Missouri. Is there anybody out there seriously arguing in favor of Missouri or Kansas being the best football team in America right now? No?

Do you see how that is different from, say, an undefeated and SEC-champion Auburn team getting screwed a couple of years ago?

tlongII
01-02-2008, 04:03 PM

That is baloney. Neither Ohio State nor LSU should be in the BCS Championship game. Both would get worked by USC.

JamStone
01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
That is baloney. Neither Ohio State nor LSU should be in the BCS Championship game. Both would get worked by USC.

The thing about college football is that unless the match up actually happens in a bowl game, that is still pure conjecture.

BeerIsGood!
01-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Texas just pounded the Pac 10 co champs raw without lube. I think they're the best team in college football.

Dre_7
01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Didnt USC-loving EPSN say that OK would win it all in a playoff?? So all this is moot. Okla is the National Champion. ESPN has spoken!! All hail ESPN!!

LaMarcus Bryant
01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Texas just pounded the Pac 10 co champs raw without lube. I think they're the best team in college football.

LOL colt mccoy fumbled four fucking times and we still beat the mighty pac 10 co champs.

And USC faces the most one dimensional undeserving bcs bowl team of all time.

Horry For 3!
01-02-2008, 07:40 PM
hmm...everyone is all over SC's nuts right now. but, then again, they are the best.
If they were the best, they would be playing for a National Championship right now.

They aren't... whoopsie.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-02-2008, 07:42 PM
illini!!!! I'm so scarrred!! 0o0oo0o0o0o

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 08:01 PM

SC beat them worse on the road and with ASU playing better.

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 08:04 PM

tis true. i love all the t.u. fans brining up irrelevant things like losing to stanford...fact is, SC is almost healthy and they just put up 49 points and 633 yards on Illinois whom beat ohio state @ home. both rose bowl records...SC's the best and Georgia very well might be #2.

tonight's game will tell us even more, i like ou over west virginia.

johngateswhiteley
01-02-2008, 08:10 PM
other than Georgia, SC got the weakest opponent who really didnt belong in the bcs bowl. I'm not going to say they aren't the best in the country, but the Rose Bowl sure didnt prove anything. There are so many potentially good matchups that a playoff could have brought this year that its a shame we have to settle for that BS yesterday.

thats the best point from you t-sips. when the bowl match ups were announced i was actually pissed off we were playing illinois. my roommate thought it would be closer than most people thought...but he's a big 10 apologist. from the beginning i wanted to see USC vs. Georgia...and it should have happened, b/c the ROSE BOWL had the NUMBER ONE PICK!!! arghh...

Dirk Nowitzki
01-02-2008, 08:35 PM

USC doesnt deserve to be there either. Losing to Stanford and to Oregon did them in. It is simple. DONT lose to Stanford especially when you are at home. Win the games on your schedule. It isnt either of those teams faults that USC dropped in the rankings. The "best team in the country" doesnt lose to Stanford at home.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 06:39 AM
SC is now second all time in bowl wins....only 1 behind Alabama. we'll probably catch them next year.

...greatness.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 07:25 AM
USC's last 5 wins were an average score of 31-8...all bowl teams.

...greatness.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10553727

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 08:57 AM
6 straight seasons of 11 or more victories....yes ELEVEN.

Thunder Dan
01-03-2008, 09:03 AM
http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2007/10-07/stanford_usc_football_400.jpg

lebomb
01-03-2008, 09:19 AM
All of yall are talking straight out of your asses......NOONE knows who #1 is period.....so please kindly STFU.

Have a great day.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 09:27 AM
All of yall are talking straight out of your asses......NOONE knows who #1 is period.....so please kindly STFU.

Have a great day.

sure i do...SC.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 09:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls07/bowls?game=rose

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 09:38 AM
i'm not saying SC deserves to be the best team...they just are.

Thunder Dan
01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
alright they lost to Stanford. That is like the Red Sox getting swept in the playoffs by the Durham Bulls (Devil Rays's AAA) then people still trying to make an argument as to why the Red Sox are still the best team in baseball dispite that horrible series. I mean Stanford is 20-48 since 2002 and they went to USC and won with a backup QB.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 10:12 AM
alright they lost to Stanford. That is like the Red Sox getting swept in the playoffs by the Durham Bulls (Devil Rays's AAA) then people still trying to make an argument as to why the Red Sox are still the best team in baseball dispite that horrible series. I mean Stanford is 20-48 since 2002 and they went to USC and won with a backup QB.

revisit the box score. SC vastly outplayed Stanford, the score was 9-0 at the half and John David played the entire second half with a broken hand. sometimes things like that happen...it doesn't mean SC isn't the best team in the country. SC also lost @ Oregon by 7 points with the backup QB (Booty still out with broken hand).

...shit happens, but its not like SC straight up had 2 losses b/c of playing poorly. injuries are part of the game, sure, but it shouldn't detract from the Trojans being the best team in the country...right now.

degenerate_gambler
01-03-2008, 10:13 AM
i like ou over west virginia.

need a bookie, dude?

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 10:13 AM
the Trojans get more pussy than anyone.

Marklar MM
01-03-2008, 11:45 AM
the Trojans get more pussy than anyone.

They also get their cocks sucked by more guys then anyone else.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 11:49 AM
They also get their cocks sucked by more guys then anyone else.

nope, different Trojans different times.

FromWayDowntown
01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
So, basically, everyone should forget the Stanford loss because USC is allowed a mulligan on that -- that must be the special "USC had a hurt QB" mulligan (because, of course, Oregon wouldn't be entitled to anything like that; losing their QB did nothing to the Ducks' season).

As for the Oregon loss, well, you can't hold the Trojans accountable for that since they were made to play with their backup quarterback; everyone knows that USC isn't in a position to recruit a backup quarterback who can beat ranked opponents on the road.

USC might well beat other teams in the country right now, but they won't win the game that might have forever marked them as that. Instead, we'll have the years of Trojan fans' apocryphal accounts of the greatness of their 2-loss 2007 football team.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
So, basically, everyone should forget the Stanford loss because USC is allowed a mulligan on that -- that must be the special "USC had a hurt QB" mulligan (because, of course, Oregon wouldn't be entitled to anything like that; losing their QB did nothing to the Ducks' season).

As for the Oregon loss, well, you can't hold the Trojans accountable for that since they were made to play with their backup quarterback; everyone knows that USC isn't in a position to recruit a backup quarterback who can beat ranked opponents on the road.

USC might well beat other teams in the country right now, but they won't win the game that might have forever marked them as that. Instead, we'll have the years of Trojan fans' apocryphal accounts of the greatness of their 2-loss 2007 football team.

thanks for putting words into my mouth. you are consistent FWD, you love to assume...love it. :tu

JamStone
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
nope, different Trojans different times.

Matt Leinart Trojans? Matt Leinart times?

FromWayDowntown
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
thanks for putting words into my mouth. you are consistent FWD, you love to assume...love it. :tu

or hold you to your own words:

sometimes things like that happen...it doesn't mean SC isn't the best team in the country.

SC also lost @ Oregon by 7 points with the backup QB (Booty still out with broken hand).

I guess by assuming things, you're saying that I'm assuming that you actually meant what you said?

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
or hold you to your own words:

I guess by assuming things, you're saying that I'm assuming that you actually meant what you said?

you're on a roll bra!

FromWayDowntown
01-03-2008, 12:51 PM
you're on a roll bra!

Witty retort.

johngateswhiteley
01-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Witty retort.

well, you're posts are ridiculous and full of assumptions. why should i waste my time?

FromWayDowntown
01-03-2008, 12:57 PM
well, you're posts are ridiculous and full of assumptions. why should i waste my time?

What assumptions, exactly? You basically said that the Stanford loss was no big deal and that the loss at Oregon was somehow excusable because USC played with its backup QB. I pointed out, relying on your specific statements (the ones that I quoted) that no other team in the country gets that sort of excuse-making on its behalf. You accuse me of assuming things, but again, the only assumption I can find in my post is an assumption that you actually meant what you wrote. I'd be happy to address whatever other "assumptions" you think I'm making, but for now, I'm simply holding you to what you said.

leemajors
01-03-2008, 01:07 PM
jgw is getting worked over today.

Ballcox
01-03-2008, 01:48 PM
^stay away from logical arguments with jgw, he's a fucking tool like his worthless usc team. I think he was driving by the campus one day and decided to become a usc fan. :lol

Thunder Dan
01-03-2008, 01:58 PM

who has a better argument.. Ohio State losing to Illinios by 7 points after a blown fumble call into the endzone (if you have no idea what I'm talking about read below) or USC losing to Stanford at home because JDB was hurt and had to be replaced by another 5 star QB?

On the first play of the game an Illinios player ran almost 75 yards and when he was tackled he fumbled the ball through the endzone which should have been a touchback and Ohio State's ball. Because of a replay malfunction (according to the Big Ten), the play was never looked at on replay, even though it was obvious to everyone what happened. They scored a TD from that drive, and Ohio State loses by a touchdown. I'm not one for making excuses, but if USC wants to cry about stuff, then I guess Ohio State fans can gripe that they could be undefeated

JamStone
01-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Sorry Buckeye fan but that's pretty weak. OSU still lost to Illinois, and at worse was a close game. USC TRUCKED Illinois and it was never close.

romad_20
01-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Sorry to all of ya'll but UGA is the best team in the country right now. Moreno only ran the ball 9 times and dominated the game. Everyone wanted to see the USC/UGA rose but the BCS knew the winner of that game would have probably split the National title and threw another wrench in their shit.

Extra Stout
01-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Sorry to all of ya'll but UGA is the best team in the country right now. Moreno only ran the ball 9 times and dominated the game. Everyone wanted to see the USC/UGA rose but the BCS knew the winner of that game would have probably split the National title and threw another wrench in their shit.
Yeah, UGA looked unbeatable against... Hawaii.

Marklar MM
01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Michigan is the best team in the country. :rolleyes

sa_butta
01-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Michigan is the best team in the country. :rolleyeshttp://images.footballfanatics.com/productImages/_144000/FF_144404_s.jpg.:toast

romad_20
01-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Yeah, UGA looked unbeatable against... Hawaii.

What do you want them to do, they played who they had to play. It was a lose/lose for them. If they win, they're suppose to, if they had lost or it was close it would have been the biggest upset ever. They also dominated everyone they played the last 6 games of the season, including Fla, Auburn, and Kentucky. UGA hasn't lost since Oct 6th, OSU has lost since and LSU and USC have lost twice since then, so tell me again why UGA isn't the best team in college right now?

NoMoneyDown
01-03-2008, 03:22 PM
What do you want them to do, they played who they had to play. It was a lose/lose for them. If they win, they're suppose to, if they had lost or it was close it would have been the biggest upset ever. They also dominated everyone they played the last 6 games of the season, including Fla, Auburn, and Kentucky. UGA hasn't lost since Oct 6th, OSU has lost since and LSU and USC have lost twice since then, so tell me again why UGA isn't the best team in college right now?

Georgia may very well be the best college football team right now, but it's all subjective. USC beat Illinois, so maybe they should be the best team. WVU just kicked the snot outta #4 Oklahoma, so they definitely have a say-so in the matter, too. Missouri just pasted Arkansas, who beat LSU not too long ago, so maybe they are the best team. And what if VTech kicks Kansas all around tonight - will they be the best team currently? Nobody knows as everyone has a good argument about who is the best team.

JamStone
01-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Appalachian State definitely the best team in college football. Three time (three peat) national champions!

:lol

romad_20
01-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Georgia may very well be the best college football team right now, but it's all subjective. USC beat Illinois, so maybe they should be the best team. WVU just kicked the snot outta #4 Oklahoma, so they definitely have a say-so in the matter, too. Missouri just pasted Arkansas, who beat LSU not too long ago, so maybe they are the best team. And what if VTech kicks Kansas all around tonight - will they be the best team currently? Nobody knows as everyone has a good argument about who is the best team.

I agree, I'm just sticking up for my team in this pointless arguement :lol

NoMoneyDown
01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I agree, I'm just sticking up for my team in this pointless arguement :lol

This season definitely proves there needs to be a better system in place. Teams (like WVU) are penalized if they lose a game later in the season rather than earlier (like Georgia). LSU is a good ball team, but they lost TWICE to teams that are now UNRANKED, and yet they got in the NC. How's that for screwy? Just more fodder for those people wanting a PO type of post-season.

MajorMike
01-03-2008, 04:48 PM
^stay away from logical arguments with jgw, he's a fucking tool like his worthless usc team. I think he was driving by the campus one day and decided to become a usc fan. :lol

Actually, he heard snoop dog was a SC fan and he needed more street cred.

Thunder Dan
01-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Sorry Buckeye fan but that's pretty weak. OSU still lost to Illinois, and at worse was a close game. USC TRUCKED Illinois and it was never close.

Illinios vs Stanford

who wins?

JamStone
01-03-2008, 05:34 PM
Illinios vs Stanford

who wins?

Probably Illinois, but I'm not sure.

That has nothing to do with what I said. I don't think USC should be in the title game. I'm just saying you can't say Ohio State is definitely better than USC. Ohio State had a horribly weak schedule themselves. They are in the title game by default. I don't say they OSU shouldn't be in the title game. They do because everyone else fucked up.

I'm saying you can't start justifying a close loss to Illinois in Columbus as evidence to why Ohio State is more justifiably in the NC game over USC when USC just double penetration anally fucked Illinois the other day.

Thunder Dan
01-03-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm saying you can't start justifying a close loss to Illinois in Columbus as evidence to why Ohio State is more justifiably in the NC game over USC when USC just double penetration anally fucked Illinois the other day.

I was making a weak argument to compare with the weak argument that USC lost to Stanford because their QB got hurt. I don't actually think tOSU deserved the call because it did happen at the beginning of the game, and they had the rest of the game to make plays to win. I was just scraping for weak arguments because that what USC fans do with the Stanford loss

Horry For 3!
01-03-2008, 11:33 PM
It doesn't matter who the best team in the country is, the only thing that matters is who has the Championship after the season is over.

West Virginia looked pretty damn good, they would of been undefeated if it wasn't for Pat White getting hurt.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Ting Brothers = only play for best team in the country

BeerIsGood!
01-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Ting Brothers = only play for best team in the country
http://images.bruinsnation.com/images/admin/TingsPomPom.jpg