PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: No Ginobili? No problem

Kori Ellis
12-31-2004, 03:02 AM
No Ginobili? No problem
Web Posted: 12/31/2004 01:39 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA123104.1D.BKNspurs.blazers.gamer.5cf9ebda.html

PORTLAND, Ore. — With Manu Ginobili unable to play Thursday evening because of a neck strain, the Spurs took the floor without one of their regular starters for the first time this season.

Were it not for the nifty gray suit Ginobili wore, many in the Rose Garden crowd of 18,677 might not have noticed he was missing.

Coach Gregg Popovich plugged in Brent Barry and the Spurs rolled, routing Portland 114-80 for their fourth consecutive victory.

Tony Parker scored 18 points in 29 minutes. Tim Duncan added 19 points, nine rebounds and five assists. Beno Udrih contributed 12 points and a career-best 10 assists.

But it was Barry's 15 points in 27 minutes that stood out most.

"It really helps that Pop has the confidence in me to play me," Barry said, "but it's also nice to remind my teammates and the staff that I'm capable of contributing. And it's even nicer to remind myself of that."

Ginobili said he was feeling considerably better and might be able to play tonight against the Los Angeles Clippers. Popovich, however, might have more incentive to give him more rest after watching his team's performance Thursday.

In addition to his 15 points, which was one off his season high, Barry had six rebounds. More important, he helped ignite a game-opening 17-2 run from which the Trail Blazers never completely recovered.

Barry got the chance to start after Ginobili injured his neck in the fourth quarter of Tuesday's victory over Phoenix. After jumping for a rebound, Ginobili fell flat, hard onto the court.

"At the moment, it didn't hurt that much," Ginobili said. "But as soon as it got cold after the game, I couldn't move my neck."

Ginobili improved after receiving treatment Wednesday and Thursday, but he and Popovich agreed it was best for him not to play. Though the injury is not considered serious, Popovich estimated it might take a week for Ginobili to feel completely comfortable.

"It could be a blessing in a way because getting a minor injury like this gives me a way to just sit him for a night," Popovich said. "In the long run, it's probably good for him."

As much as Ginobili needed the rest, Barry needed minutes. He lost his shot, then his spot in the rotation to Devin Brown. Prior to Thursday, he hadn't played 20 minutes in a game since Nov. 27.

Though Barry entered Thursday having connected on just 29.2 percent of his 3-point attempts, second-worst among the Spurs' shooters, he had shown promise the previous three games. He didn't fret about missed shots. His team defense also had improved.

"If he came into a game and not even hit a jump shot, he could be effective for us," Popovich said. "He's a great passer, he can run the floor on the break, he can use his length on defense."

Barry showed all of that and more against Portland. Two minutes into the game, he blocked a shot from Zach Randolph, the Trail Blazers' 6-foot-9 power forward.

After Portland climbed within 25-20, Barry stuck a 3-pointer to slow the momentum. He followed by intercepting a pass from Ruben Patterson, creating a fast-break opportunity that led to a pair of free throws for Udrih.

Over the next seven minutes, the Spurs tacked 15 points onto their lead.

While the Spurs were missing Ginobili, Portland was not without its own problems. Shareef Abdur-Rahim played after sitting out the previous six games with a hyperextended right elbow, but his return nearly coincided with Theo Ratliff's exit.

Ratliff injured his left shoulder after falling down at midcourt a little more than halfway through the opening quarter. He never returned, leaving a 6-10 void in the middle of Portland's defense.

Six different Spurs had at least five rebounds. The crowd booed Portland after Parker strolled through the lane and plucked an offensive rebound out of the air.

"You need (Arvydas) Sabonis," one front-row fan yelled at Trail Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks.

Said Cheeks: "I wish I had him."

The Spurs outrebounded Portland 49-39, which allowed them to run floor. They distributed a season-high 34 assists, while the Trail Blazers made only 30 shots. Blazers forward Darius Miles committed an inbounds violation on one third-quarter play when he inexplicably stepped over the baseline.

"It was my worst game since I've been here," Cheeks said.

Barry had something to do with that.

whottt
12-31-2004, 03:21 AM
"If he came into a game and not even hit a jump shot, he could be effective for us," Popovich said. "He's a great passer, he can run the floor on the break, he can use his length on defense."

Bode!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone got that "owned" Kerr JPG?

And don't worry...I don't expect any props. The fact that we are no longer losing games stupidly is props enough...Thank you Pop, for getting it....and I'll enjoy the 65+wins to boot.

T Park
12-31-2004, 03:32 AM
"You need (Arvydas) Sabonis

They need a healthy Ratliff.

Sabonis, are you kiddin me, the dude looked like he trudged in wet cement.

ShoogarBear
12-31-2004, 08:59 AM
It's definitely a good long-term view to get TD and Manu as much rest duriing the regular season as they can.

The effects of the Olympic grind won't really become crucial until the playoffs.

boutons
12-31-2004, 09:18 AM
"effects of the Olympic grind"

... are long gone, totally fictitious. Manu and Tim started the season fully rested and fully energetic, by their own and everybody's accounts. They don't have any stored-up fatigue that will spill out next March.

samikeyp
12-31-2004, 10:43 AM
I disagree bro. With the grind of an NBA season, those type of things will not show up until after the break. Doesn't mean that it will happen but it doesn't mean it won't. I sure as hell hope it doesn't. Getting Tim and Manu and really all the starters rest when they can now is good. That will help in the post-season.