PDA

View Full Version : The Best Player To Start An NBA Team With: Kobe, LeBron, Or Duncan

duncan228
01-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I know, it's the age old question. And it's from Hoopsvibe. :lol

But it only deals with these three players, and anytime I find good press on Duncan I have to post it! No matter where it's from! :)

http://www.hoopsvibe.com/nba-blog/the-best-player-to-start-an-nba-team-with-kobe-bryant-lebron-james-or-tim-duncan-ar46809.html

The Best Player To Start An NBA Team With: Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Or Tim Duncan?
By: Oly Sandor

It’s a controversial question. One that dominates watercoolers, playgrounds, and gymnasiums around the world: who is the best player to start an NBA team with?

Naturally, there’d be a range of opinions. The old school would champion classics like Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, or Oscar Robertson. Fans from the nineteen eighties would pick Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, or the great Michael Jordan.

And the debate would still rage if choices were limited to current players from the modern era. For example, would you build around the brilliant Kobe Bryant? How about opting for athleticism and all-round play with LeBron James? Then there’s Tim Duncan, the consummate professional and perfect teammate.

Of course, this question is perfect for the HoopsVibe masses. But let’s limit the choices to the three modern players: Bryant, James, or Duncan. Let’s also set criteria-we want readers to pick the one player who best establishes a culture of winning. Individual numbers and accolades are secondary.

As always, read the post, form an opinion, and tell us whether Bryant, James, or Duncan is the player you start your team with.

The case for Bryant:

He’s probably the greatest individual talent of all-time. Bryant can do it all: score at will, facilitate the offense, drop highlight dimes, and lockdown opponents on defense.

He possesses a tremendous work ethic. Bryant is constantly working on his game-simply put, Mamba is a perfectionist who lives and dies basketball.

He’s a winner. Bryant collected three consecutive NBA Titles with former L.A. running mate Shaquille O’Neal. And, over the summer, he showed his team-first colors, accepting a subordinate, defensive-stopper role with Team USA.

The case for James:

He’s the greatest athlete to ever play in the NBA. James possesses a rare combination of speed, grace, power and athleticism.

He’s Oscar Robertson reincarnated. James dominates all facets of the game and could be the first player since The Big O to average a triple-double over an entire season.

He’s a great teammate. During last season’s playoffs, James encouraged and supported teammates, getting a so-so supporting cast to overachieve.

The case for Duncan:

He’s a winner. Duncan is the superstar for a San Antonio franchise that’s won four NBA Titles. The Spurs, with The Big Fundamental, are always competitive.

He’s probably the greatest power forward of all-time, regularly posting 20-10 seasons. Duncan has fluid post moves and a deadly mid-range jumper. Oh yeah, he dominates on defense, too.
He’s a total professional. Duncan never causes controversy-unless you count telling off referee Joey Crawford. He gels with teammates, fans, coaches, and management.

Verdict: Duncan. By a hair.

Why: This is a tough decision. Remember, our purpose was to select the player who best creates and establishes a winning legacy.

Folks, that’s Duncan.

Stop hating on his methodical efficiency. And stop hating on what you perceive as a lack of personality. The four-man is a winner. During Duncan’s career, San Antonio has created a culture of excellence, winning NBA Titles or coming damn close each June to hosting a parade.

Bryant, after three straight NBA Titles, hasn’t set-up the same winning environment in Los Angeles. James is still young, so his body of work can’t measure up to the older Duncan.

Right now, Duncan is the modern player I start my NBA franchise with. All he does is win games and create an expectation where championships are the norm.

Oly Sandor is an NBA analyst and sports journalist based out of Vancouver, Canada.

stretch
01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
it would depend on how you wish to construct your team, but i would probably choose duncan. In fact, the only player in NBA history that I would start a team with over Duncan is Michael Jordan.

duncan228
01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
The reason I liked this article was that it took everything out of the arguement except these three players.

We can, and we have, argue for days over what one player you start with. There's too many choices, too many eras to pick from.

Of these three there's no debate over who I pick.

Texas_Ranger
01-02-2008, 03:24 PM
I'd pick TD.

PM5K
01-02-2008, 03:26 PM
It's not even about the players, with very few exceptions (KOBE and LEBRON not included) you'd generally want to build a team around a center, not a guard.

Tippecanoe
01-02-2008, 03:29 PM
theres also many other factors to consider. if im a franchise struggling financially, i'd pick lebron or kobe to boost ticket sales. if im strictly on winning championships NOW, i'd pick duncan. if im building a team for the future, i'd pick lebron.

WalterBenitez
01-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Tough question and very controversial if we don't put criterias

1. I'd go with TD not only because of his SuperStar caliber, but also because he's a team player

2. About skills, Oh I am very sure I'll go with Kobe; you would enjoy his individual game day after day.

3. Future answer LBJ if he develop a roster around him.

JamStone
01-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Tim Duncan is the logical choice. However, I think in today's NBA, I may opt for LeBron James instead. I think today's game favors the superstar slasher. And, I think Tim Duncan's greatness at least right now is heavily assisted by coaching and great teammates while LeBron gives his team a chance to win despite coaching and teammates. Now, add the dynamic personality LeBron has (and it has to be a consideration when starting a franchise) compared to Tim and a now more introverted Kobe Bryant, I think LeBron would be the best choice of those three.

703 Spurz
01-02-2008, 05:26 PM
TD first, James second, Bryant third.

Rummpd
01-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Duncan is the right choice but going back in history hard to argue against Jabbar as well.

meta2007
01-02-2008, 06:06 PM
TD was the no.1 pick 10 years ago, and LJ was the no.1 pick 5 years ago!

I think that's enough to say!

JamStone
01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
TD was the no.1 pick 10 years ago, and LJ was the no.1 pick 5 years ago!

I think that's enough to say!

Interesting how TD was drafted 10 years ago and LJ drafted 5 years ago yet their draft classes are 6 years apart.

:lol

djohn14
01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
I feel LeBron would get my vote because he will be here for a long long time. I hate to say it but Duncans time is starting to come. He still has a few more great years left. Kobe almost got my vote but LeBron is a better passer and rebounder and with a good supporting cast, which he dosent have, could be the greatest player ever...in my openion. Now if this is a best player to start and NBA team with in their prime, I'd have to go with Duncan because you need that dominate big man.

urunobili
01-02-2008, 06:55 PM
TD over ANYONE in bkb History

meta2007
01-02-2008, 06:57 PM
I know TD was the no.1 pick in 1997, and LJ was the no.1 pick in 2003. Exactly, TD was drfited 10.5 years ago, and LJ was drafted 4.5 years ago. Is that correct?

I said 10 and 5 just mean a concept. TD and LJ were both the no.1 pick, but LJ still has long career left. Of course, TD has four rings, but LJ has none.

If you could do time travel, TD might be the best choice. But if you want to bulid a team now, LJ may be a more reasonable choice.

Interesting how TD was drafted 10 years ago and LJ drafted 5 years ago yet their draft classes are 6 years apart.

:lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Duncan without a doubt. Start with a dominant big man first and then build around that. Its much easier to get effective role players who play positions 1-3 but trying to get a 4-5 who makes a big difference is hard to find.

bigfundamental21
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
No doubt about it that Duncan is the correct choice. If anyone argues that, just look at what he has done for the Spurs franchise since he was drafted. He is the common denominator in all of our championship wins and he is the consumate team player. You don't see Kobe giving up money just so his franchise can go out and get better talent. You don't see Tim demanding a trade or bad mouthing the Spurs front office through the media. You don't see Lebron raising the level of his teammates. Kobe and Lebron are tremendous athletes and stars in their own right, but you must always pick a player that will work hard AND get along with his teammates AND always put the team first. And that person is Duncan.

By the way, duncan 228. Thanks for posting this article!

DDS4
01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
Dude forgot to mention the drama that comes with Kobe. Chemistry killer.

bigfundamental21
01-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Dude forgot to mention the drama that comes with Kobe. Chemistry killer.
Exactly!

m33p0
01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
I feel LeBron would get my vote because he will be here for a long long time. I hate to say it but Duncans time is starting to come. He still has a few more great years left. Kobe almost got my vote but LeBron is a better passer and rebounder and with a good supporting cast, which he dosent have, could be the greatest player ever...in my openion. Now if this is a best player to start and NBA team with in their prime, I'd have to go with Duncan because you need that dominate big man.
i believe the intention is to assume all of them are of the same age and stage in their careers.

in my view, the supporting cast in san antonio has alot to do with duncan's ability to mold his game around his teammates. remember, pop didn't like manu and tony's freelancing style at the beginning.

BonnerDynasty
01-02-2008, 08:15 PM
TD because he has enough common sense/lack of ego that he doesn't have to be the center of attention.

He just does his job and does it better than anyone who has ever played that position.

DazedAndConfused
01-02-2008, 08:19 PM
1st of all if I had my choice I'd start a team with a healthy Shaq or Kareem. But if we're talking current players then obviously TD is my choice. You win championships with elite centers, not shooting guards.

meta2007
01-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Actually, MJ is a shooting guard, and I would start a team with him.

1st of all if I had my choice I'd start a team with a healthy Shaq or Kareem. But if we're talking current players then obviously TD is my choice. You win championships with elite centers, not shooting guards.

inconvertible
01-03-2008, 02:51 AM
Dwight Howard

freemeat
01-03-2008, 08:26 PM
theres also many other factors to consider. if im a franchise struggling financially, i'd pick lebron or kobe to boost ticket sales. if im strictly on winning championships NOW, i'd pick duncan. if im building a team for the future, i'd pick lebron.

I agree.

That being said, the best answer to this question doesn't appear on this short list: Dwight Howard. If the front office in Orlando doesn't seriously screw up, DH should finish with at least a few rings on his fingers.

Obstructed_View
01-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Dwight's outlook benefits from a complete lack of competition. Mike Tyson looked like a good heavyweight when he was knocking out Tony Tubbs and Tyrell Biggs.

I don't know how this is even a debate. In all fairness, Wade should be on this list ahead of Kobe and Lebron since he's from the same class as Lebron and actually won a title with a lesser Shaq than Kobe had. All of those guys are an order of magnitude below Duncan, and only a fool would take someone over him.

peskypesky
01-04-2008, 12:31 AM
it would depend on how you wish to construct your team, but i would probably choose duncan. In fact, the only player in NBA history that I would start a team with over Duncan is Michael Jordan.

I agree with you 100%.

Duncan's Spurs have been the winningest team in ANY sport over the past 10 years, so you'd have to be a complete MORON to even consider Lebron or Kobe over Duncan.

Jordan might very well be the only other player I'd choose over Duncan. And maybe Kareem. Kinda have to consider Shaq as well. 4 Championships. 5 Finals appearances.

But I'd go with Duncan or Jordan.

ancestron
01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
(In best Stan Kelley voice) Tim Duncan! Timmm Duncannn!!!

41times
01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
This is one of my favorite topics/questions because to me this should be how an MVP is judge.

In other words, if you lined up every player on one side and every GM on the other and start picking......Who would be the first, second, third etc. player taken. To me that's the value.

and In my opinion, if you poled every GM in the league as to who they would pick if their choice was only between Lebron and Duncan, I would say that 90% would pick LeBron. This is no knock on Duncan because LeBron would get chosen above just about anybody in the leagaue right now. If we were talking Duncan 5 years ago the numbers might be slightly different.

I myself would pick LeBron over probably any player in the league for the following reasons:

He is young and still developing his game.
His size and skills are terrific.
He can average 25-30 pionts per game
He can average 7-10 rebounds per game
He can average 5-7 assist per game
He can average 1-2 blocks per game.
He can play above average defense.
He could play every position on the floor if needed.
And he is damn fun to watch.

He needs to shoot free throws way better because he gets fouled A LOT. If he shot 80% from the line he would be almost unstoppable becaue you could not afford to foul him when defending him.

And for those people who are still wondering how the hell the sorry ass Cavs made it to the Finals last year.............well you already know the answer. LeBron.

m33p0
01-04-2008, 11:18 AM
This is one of my favorite topics/questions because to me this should be how an MVP is judge.

In other words, if you lined up every player on one side and every GM on the other and start picking......Who would be the first, second, third etc. player taken. To me that's the value.

and In my opinion, if you poled every GM in the league as to who they would pick if their choice was only between Lebron and Duncan, I would say that 90% would pick LeBron. This is no knock on Duncan because LeBron would get chosen above just about anybody in the leagaue right now. If we were talking Duncan 5 years ago the numbers might be slightly different.

I myself would pick LeBron over probably any player in the league for the following reasons:

He is young and still developing his game.
His size and skills are terrific.
He can average 25-30 pionts per game
He can average 7-10 rebounds per game
He can average 5-7 assist per game
He can average 1-2 blocks per game.
He can play above average defense.
He could play every position on the floor if needed.
And he is damn fun to watch.

He needs to shoot free throws way better because he gets fouled A LOT. If he shot 80% from the line he would be almost unstoppable becaue you could not afford to foul him when defending him.

And for those people who are still wondering how the hell the sorry ass Cavs made it to the Finals last year.............well you already know the answer. LeBron.

well, of course everyone would choose lebron if you factor in their current age. if they were all youngsters, who would you choose?

m33p0
01-04-2008, 11:21 AM
I agree with you 100%.

Duncan's Spurs have been the winningest team in ANY sport over the past 10 years, so you'd have to be a complete MORON to even consider Lebron or Kobe over Duncan.
Jordan might very well be the only other player I'd choose over Duncan. And maybe Kareem. Kinda have to consider Shaq as well. 4 Championships. 5 Finals appearances.

But I'd go with Duncan or Jordan.

487-199 regular season wins and 3 championships since winning the 1999 finals against the knicks which, coincidentally, is visiting san antonio tonight. :toast

41times
01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
well, of course everyone would choose lebron if you factor in their current age. if they were all youngsters, who would you choose?

If both players were 22 i would probably still choose LeBron because at 22 Lebron was pretty advanced but it would be a much closer vote.

Now if you are saying the same age say at 22 again, who would more people take, Duncan vs. Shaq?

The problem with the arguments for Duncan like...."Because he is a winner" "4 rings" "80% wins" etc etc.......Consider this, if you swapped Lebron James for Tim Duncan straight up the day the LeBron came into the League. Lebron would have at least 2 rings by now if not more and Duncan would have Zero.
Lebrons team would have won 80% of their games and the Cavs 55% and everyone would be calling Lebron "a Winner"

Duncan is a Champion/Winner in part because he is a product of his surroundings. Remember the Spurs were good the year David Robinson got hurt and the Spurs tanked the remainder of the season to get the number 1 pick. So Timmy came to a really good team. LeBrons team was SHIT and still is for the most part.

So you can not compare careers because it is apples to oranges. You can only compare talent.