PDA

View Full Version : Constructing the perfect player. Kenny Smith.

Tippecanoe
01-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Thought this was a fun read. bolded the spurs parts for spurs fans :lol

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArYy.oM.0z4oehKt1LYxqPu8vLYF?slug=ks-perfect010208&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Constructing the perfect player
By Kenny Smith, Yahoo! Sports
January 2, 2008

Kenny Smith
Yahoo! Sports

As the New Year arrives and I think of all the greats who have blessed the basketball courts in my era, Michael Jordan is often called the perfect player. If he wasn’t perfect, he was very close.

That got me wondering on how to construct the perfect player Frankenstein-style. Which parts of which players would I use?

The first part, which allows the body to function is the heart. This has to come from the player who has no fear of failure and a killer instinct: Kobe Bryant.

The brain obviously is also vital. I need someone who understands his strengths and limitations and also understands his players and coaches to a great degree. That’s Jason Kidd.

ADVERTISEMENT
Vision helps separate the truly great players from the very good ones. And no one sees the floor quite like Steve Nash.

If this is going to be the perfect player, he shouldn’t lack for athleticism. Not only should he be able to go by people, but also through or over them. Give me LeBron James’ combination of speed, quickness and muscle. There are faster players baseline to baseline than James, but they don’t have his size and leaping ability.

The hops go to Josh Smith. He’s the new-age Dominique Wilkins.

The strength of a basketball player is underrated. Skinny players like Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton don’t need bulk to dart around screens. But give a player the strength of Dwight Howard and now you have a monster.

The longer the wingspan, the better the ability to grab rebounds, deflect passes and make other plays your opponents can’t make. So give me Kevin Garnett’s reach.

The best players shoot with a quick release. They can get off a shot while their defender is still flatfooted. Which is why I’ll need Ray Allen’s wrists.

Soft hands are essential. You want someone with a good touch who can catch all kinds of passes. That would be Tim Duncan.

The feet give you balance. They help you change direction, tightrope the baseline and stay in front of your man on defense. Give me the feet of Manu Ginobili.

The other parts that make up a great player aren’t as tangible. Like timing. The best shot blockers have great timing. Jump too soon and your opponent can duck into you and draw a foul. Jump too late and you’ll get dunked on. I want the timing of Marcus Camby.

Savvy comes from experience. The most battle-tested players know what to expect before it happens. And few players are more battle-tested than Chauncey Billups.

Patience is important. Great players know when to attack. They know how to set up their opponent with a fake. They don’t rush and they rarely force a bad shot. Is there anymore more patient than Duncan? He’s my first and only two-time part member.

Lastly, no one likes a sore loser or a bad winner. That’s why I value sportsmanship. To be a true winner, you have to be gracious. Like Michael Redd.

Now this is a player who’s truly the sum of his parts.

JamStone
01-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Forgot to bold this part:

Patience is important. Great players know when to attack. They know how to set up their opponent with a fake. They don’t rush and they rarely force a bad shot. Is there anymore more patient than Duncan? He’s my first and only two-time part member.

duncan228
01-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Duncan has the best hands in the business.
And he's mentioned again for his patience. (You didn't bold that! :lol)

You could also make the arguement that he would fit the heart, the brain, the wingspan, the feet (his footwork is incredible), the savvy, and the graciousness.

It seems to me that Duncan could fit more catagories listed than any other player.
But, I'm all about Duncan. :)

duncan228
01-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Beat me to the missing bold JamStone!

bigfundamental21
01-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Duncan has the best hands in the business.
And he's mentioned again for his patience. (You didn't bold that! :lol)

You could also make the arguement that he would fit the heart, the brain, the wingspan, the feet (his footwork is incredible), the savvy, and the graciousness.

It seems to me that Duncan could fit more catagories listed than any other player.
But, I'm all about Duncan. :)
You couldn't have said it better duncan228. For all of those reasons, I will always choose Tim in any debate about what player I would want to start a team with. Duncan is not only a smart, fundamentally sound, and patient player, but he also has a competitiveness and drive that makes him work hard year after year. He is also selfless and the epitome of a team player. I am glad the article refers to him twice, but like you said, Tim could easily fill many more of those parts.

m33p0
01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
If this is going to be the perfect player, he shouldn’t lack for athleticism. Not only should he be able to go by people, but also through or over them. Give me LeBron James’ combination of speed, quickness and muscle. There are faster players baseline to baseline than James, but they don’t have his size and leaping ability.

The hops go to Josh Smith. He’s the new-age Dominique Wilkins.

The strength of a basketball player is underrated. Skinny players like Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton don’t need bulk to dart around screens. But give a player the strength of Dwight Howard and now you have a monster.

The best players shoot with a quick release. They can get off a shot while their defender is still flatfooted. Which is why I’ll need Ray Allen’s wrists.

except for these parts, isn't he describing tim duncan?

he has left alot of bigs flat-footed especially in his earlier years.

The feet give you balance. They help you change direction, tightrope the baseline and stay in front of your man on defense. Give me the feet of Manu Ginobili.
did kenny smith, the kenny smith, the same kenny smith who refuses to give manu ginobili his props despite of all the evidence barkley and magic have given, said something good about manu?

"who are you and what have you done to kenny smith?"

The first part, which allows the body to function is the heart. This has to come from the player who has no fear of failure and a killer instinct: Kobe Bryant.
i'll take manu's heart over kobe's any day, twice on sundays.

exstatic
01-02-2008, 08:04 PM
I stopped reading when he chose Kobe for the heart. Yeah, what an exhibition of heart last summer, Kobes.

m33p0
01-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Chris Webber has the best hands in basketball...even though he is not currently employed.
his hands are so good, he tends to hold the ball 5 seconds longer than needed or intended.

debo
01-02-2008, 10:13 PM
what about the beard of Baron Davis?

BonnerDynasty
01-02-2008, 10:16 PM
what about the beard of Baron Davis?

QFT

Cry Havoc
01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Give me the heart of Cherokee Parks!

peskypesky
01-03-2008, 12:15 AM