PDA

View Full Version : Spurs-Nuggets Preview

duncan228
01-03-2008, 12:02 PM
http://www.nba.com/games/20080103/SASDEN/preview.html

Spurs-Nuggets Preview
By Mike Votta, STATS Senior Writer

The San Antonio Spurs own the best defense in the Western Conference, but injuries to some of their key players have caused their play on the other end of the court to be less consistent.

The Spurs will try to build on their highest scoring game in more than a month on Thursday when they visit the Denver Nuggets.

San Antonio (21-8) is yielding just 91.9 points per game, fewer than any other team in the West, and is in a virtual tie for the best record in the conference with Phoenix. However, the Spurs have dropped five of their last nine games, averaging just 86.8 points in those defeats.

Tim Duncan, who is averaging 18.3 points and a team-high 10.2 rebounds, missed the first two of those defeats with a sore right knee and sprained right ankle. Tony Parker, who leads the team with 20.3 points per game, missed four games during the stretch with a sprained left ankle, and top reserve Manu Ginobili, who averages 19.2 points, has missed the last three games with a sprained left index finger.

Even without Ginobili, however, the Spurs beat Memphis 111-87 on Sunday in their highest scoring game since a 116-101 win at Seattle on Nov. 25.

"Our defense besides the first quarter was really good. First quarter was terrible," Parker said. "When you play good defense, it creates easy offense, you create fast-break transition and wide-open 3s."

Parker and Duncan each had 24 points, and Duncan chipped in 17 rebounds. Parker has averaged 21.3 points and six assists in four games since returning, and Duncan has averaged 20.3 points and 13.4 rebounds in seven games since his return.

On Sunday, the Spurs trailed 32-22 after the first quarter, when they allowed the Grizzlies to shoot 75 percent. However, they tightened up their defense to breeze to their third win in four games.

"We're a good basketball team when we play defense, and then we back it up with rebounding then everything flows from that," coach Gregg Popovich said. "We did that tonight after the first quarter and got it done."

Michael Finley chipped in a season-high 22 points, reaching double figures for the eighth straight game.

"Every shot I take, I hope it goes in," Finley said. "Tonight it was just going in a lot more for me and I think I just had a good rhythm offensively."

The Spurs beat the Nuggets (18-12) in five games in the first round of last season's playoffs and won 102-91 at home in the first meeting between the teams this season on Dec. 15. Parker, who leads the Spurs with 20.3 points per game, missed that game with a sprained left ankle.

The Nuggets have scored in triple digits in all but two of their wins - and reached 99 points in those two exceptions - while being limited to double figures in all but four of their defeats.

Denver ended a three-game winning streak on Sunday, falling 105-95 at home to Golden State in the finale of a home-and-home set with the Warriors.

Carmelo Anthony had 26 points and 10 rebounds for Denver, which shot just 35 percent two days after winning 124-120 at Golden State. Allen Iverson, however, managed only 13 points on 2-for-12 shooting after scoring 39 on the road.

"Every time I tried to penetrate they would bring a lot of people to me to make me give up the ball," Iverson said. "I just missed a couple of shots and struggled the whole night."

Supreme_Being
01-03-2008, 12:04 PM
One of the more overrated teams versus one of the more underrated team. Seems like a good watch to me.

duncan228
01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Spurs.com:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/080103.html

Spurs vs. Nuggets Preview

Probable Starters:

T. Parker
Guard
20.3 PPG
M. Finley
Guard
10.4 PPG
B. Bowen
Forward
6.1 PPG
T. Duncan
Forward
18.3 PPG
R. Horry
Forward
1.2 PPG

Injury/Inactive Report

Manu Ginobili (sprained left index finger) is out.
Barry (torn plantaris muscle, left calf) is out.

The Spurs will try to build on their highest scoring game in more than a month on Thursday when they visit the Denver Nuggets.

San Antonio (21-8) is yielding just 91.9 points per game, fewer than any other team in the West, and is in a virtual tie for the best record in the conference with Phoenix.

The Spurs beat Memphis 111-87 on Sunday in their highest scoring game since a 116-101 win at Seattle on Nov. 25.

Tony Parker and Tim Duncan each had 24 points, and Duncan chipped in 17 rebounds. Parker has averaged 21.3 points and six assists in four games since returning, and Duncan has averaged 20.3 points and 13.4 rebounds in seven games since his return from injury.

The Spurs beat the Nuggets (18-12) in five games in the first round of last season's playoffs and won 102-91 at home in the first meeting between the teams this season on Dec. 15. Parker, who leads the Spurs with 20.3 points per game, missed that game with a sprained left ankle.

The Nuggets have scored in triple digits in all but two of their wins - and reached 99 points in those two exceptions - while being limited to double figures in all but four of their defeats.

Denver ended a three-game winning streak on Sunday, falling 105-95 at home to Golden State in the finale of a home-and-home set with the Warriors.

Carmelo Anthony had 26 points and 10 rebounds for Denver, which shot just 35 percent two days after winning 124-120 at Golden State. Allen Iverson, however, managed only 13 points on 2-for-12 shooting after scoring 39 on the road.

duncan228
01-03-2008, 12:18 PM
Sports Network

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=79850

Nuggets welcome Spurs to Pepsi Center

(Sports Network) - The San Antonio Spurs will hit the road tonight for a showdown against the Denver Nuggets at the Pepsi Center.

The Spurs just went 3-1 on a four-game homestand and recorded a 111-87 win over the Memphis Grizzlies the last time out on Sunday at the AT&T Center. Tim Duncan had 24 points, 17 rebounds and seven assists, while Tony Parker added 24 points and nine assists to lead the defending champions.

Michael Finley posted 22 points and seven boards, as the Spurs avenged a loss in Memphis earlier this month after Rudy Gay ended it with a buzzer-beating three-pointer. The Southwest Division-leading Spurs have dropped three in a row on the road and are 5-6 away from home this season.

In injury news for San Antonio, guard Manu Ginobili (finger) is questionable for Thursday's battle with Denver. Ginobili has missed the last three games.

Denver, meanwhile, will try to get back on track when it closes out a short two-game homestand versus the Spurs. It is 12-5 at the Pepsi Center this season, but had a three-game winning streak stopped with Sunday's 105-95 home setback to the Golden State Warriors in the back end of a home-and-home series.

Carmelo Anthony led Denver with 26 points and 10 rebounds, but the Nuggets shot just 34.5 percent from the floor and never recovered. Allen Iverson ended with 13 points in a losing cause. The Nuggets are tied with Portland atop the Northwest Division.

On the injury front for Denver, center Marcus Camby (illness) is probable for Thursday's game, while forward Kenyon Martin (hamstring) is questionable.

Thursday's matchup between the Spurs and Nuggets is the second of four meetings this season. San Antonio posted a 102-91 victory on December 15 at the AT&T Center and has won five of the last eight meetings.

San Antonio has won two of three and four of its last six at the Pepsi Center.

duncan228
01-03-2008, 12:29 PM
http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=158916&t=0

Hot betting trends: Spurs at Nuggets
By COVERS.com STAFF

San Antonio Spurs at Denver Nuggets - 1 1/2, 201 1/2

Spurs

Spurs are 5-0 ATS in their last 5 games vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
Under is 4-0 in Spurs last 4 games following a S.U. win.
Under is 4-0 in Spurs last 4 games following a SU win of more than 10 points.
Under is 4-0 in Spurs last 4 games playing on 3 or more days rest.
Under is 4-0 in Spurs last 4 after scoring 100 points or more in their previous game.
Under is 4-0 in Spurs last 4 games following a ATS win.
Under is 19-3 in Spurs last 22 vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
Under is 4-1 in Spurs last 5 Thursday games.

Nuggets

Nuggets are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 when their opponent scores 100 points or more in their previous game.
Nuggets are 4-1 ATS in their last 5 games overall.
Over is 4-0 in Nuggets last 4 Thursday games.
Over is 7-0 in Nuggets last 7 games following a S.U. loss.
Under is 22-4-1 in Nuggets last 27 vs. a team with a winning S.U. record.
Under is 9-2 in Nuggets last 11 games vs. a team with a winning % above .600.

Head to head

Spurs are 5-0 ATS in the last 5 meetings.
Spurs are 6-1 ATS in the last 7 meetings in Denver.
Under is 10-2 in the last 12 meetings in Denver.
Under is 22-5-1 in the last 28 meetings.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 12:33 PM
Is Nene playing?

m33p0
01-03-2008, 12:56 PM
:flag: :flag: :flag:

urunobili
01-03-2008, 02:30 PM
make it happen tonight baby! :danceclub

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Nene and Kmart will be playing

ancestron
01-03-2008, 02:58 PM
This should be a good game.

txstr1986
01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
This is going to be a good game and Duncan's going to have a monster night.

tp2021
01-03-2008, 03:49 PM
i only wish manu was available...he's always DESTROYED the McNuggets in the playoffs. i guess pop's protectin him from another carmelonhead takedown.

Bruno
01-03-2008, 06:50 PM
I have the feeling that Spurs will lose tonight.
Anyway, this game is the start of the toughest stretch in Spurs calendar. Between today and the ASG, Spurs will have 22 games, 7 at home and 15 on the road. Spurs will have 6 b2b to play before the ASG.
I would be surprise if Spurs still have the WC first seed after these 22 games.

NugzFan
01-03-2008, 11:55 PM
One of the more overrated teams versus one of the more underrated team. Seems like a good watch to me.

never heard the nuggets considered underrated...but thanks. :clap

td4mvp21
01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
never heard the nuggets considered underrated...but thanks. :clap

That's because they're not. Teams that lose in the first round every year aren't exactly underrated.

NugzFan
01-04-2008, 12:13 AM
That's because they're not. Teams that lose in the first round every year aren't exactly underrated.

he said it - not me. hell i was surprised to read it too.

td4mvp21
01-04-2008, 12:18 AM
he said it - not me. hell i was surprised to read it too.

:rolleyes

NugzFan
01-04-2008, 12:19 AM
:rolleyes

:downspin: