PDA

View Full Version : NBA: DerMarr Johnson's recovery path leads to Spurs

MoSpur
01-03-2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010308.01C.BKN_Spurs_Johnson.en.29a8c24.html

Jeff McDonald
San Antonio Express-News

DENVER — The memories of Sept. 13, 2002, come floating back to DerMarr Johnson in snapshots both vivid and incomplete, like morning-after recollections of a bad dream.
Stopped at a red light in suburban Atlanta. Two friends asleep in his Mercedes-Benz. Turning down the radio.

Then, fire and fury. Panic and pandemonium.

Now he's running down the street in the ghostly gray light of pre-dawn, in frantic search for help. It would still be a few hours before doctors will tell him he has broken his neck.

Johnson doesn't remember exactly how his car came to be wrapped around that tree, leaving everyone in it seriously injured but miraculously alive. He doesn't remember the 10 seconds that would inexorably alter the course of his NBA career.

"I just fell asleep at a red light," Johnson said, "and must have hit the gas."

More than five years after the crash, Johnson came to San Antonio last week still looking to resurrect his career from its wreckage.

He fractured four vertebrae in the accident, an injury that kept him out of the NBA for a year and a half. Two years after making him the No. 6 pick in the 2000 draft, the Atlanta Hawks gave up on him, setting in motion a tumultuous period that would see him play in seven cities and four leagues in five years.

Searching for depth on the wing following injuries to Manu Ginobili and Brent Barry late last month, the Spurs became the latest team to take a chance on the former lottery pick, plucking Johnson off the scrap heap of the Development League.

Tonight's game at Denver will be Johnson's second with the team.

To the Spurs, Johnson is a low-risk, high-reward signee: A 6-foot-9 swingman with seven years of NBA experience, signed to a non-guaranteed deal worth the veteran minimum. At worst, he is an inexpensive fallback option while Ginobili and Barry nurse their way back to health. At best, he can become a cheap but valuable perimeter-shooting threat on a team that puts a premium on such players.

Johnson is a career 33.6 percent 3-point shooter, a number that jumps to better than 35 percent if you discount his disastrous 19 of 88 campaign in Denver last season.

"He's been in the league, he's a good shooter," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "He knows the personnel of the league pretty well."

Johnson says he can still make good on his promise as a first-round draft pick. Given an opportunity with the Spurs, he aims to make his case.

"I haven't reached my peak yet," Johnson said. "I haven't played a lot of minutes, so I can still play a lot more years."

Friday the 13th

Until the day he broke his neck, Johnson never envisioned he would be 27 years old and still searching for a steady job in the pros.
"I had higher expectations of myself," he admits. "I'm living a dream, but it's been a struggle."

A first-round pick in the 2000 after leaving Cincinnati following his freshman year, Johnson seemed on a steady climb toward becoming an everyday NBA player.

In 2001-02, he averaged 8.4 points and 3.4 rebounds and started 46 games with Atlanta. He was poised to enter his third NBA training camp with high hopes of earning a regular starting job.

Then came the accident, and with it uncertainty.

Just before 5 a.m. that fateful Friday the 13th, Johnson was driving home from an evening at an Atlanta nightspot.

Before they reached Johnson's neighborhood, his passengers fell asleep. At a stoplight, Johnson joined the nap.

His next recollection is of one of his friends pulling him from the debris seconds before the car burst into flames.

"It was pretty scary," Johnson said.

Police toxicology reports later showed that alcohol did not play a role in the crash. Johnson's doctors, meanwhile, offered a sobering report.

They told him he probably wouldn't play basketball again.

Recovering from his injuries, Johnson did not play during the 2002-03 campaign, after which Atlanta declined to pick up his $3 million option.

Though he had survived his fiery crash, his career remained on life support.

Mile High letdown

After Atlanta let him go, Johnson wound up in New York, first as a member of Long Island's ABA team, then with the New York Knicks. He auditioned well enough during the Knicks' 2004 playoff run to earn a spot in Denver.
Each of his three season with the Nuggets was supposed to be Johnson's career breakthrough. Each season only brought more frustration.

He started 40 games in 2004-05, his first season with the Nuggets. Last season, he only played in 39, precipitating his departure from Denver.

"It kind of went downhill out of nowhere," said Johnson, who will make his return to Denver tonight when the Spurs play at the Pepsi Center. "I don't think it was anything I did. It just didn't work out in my favor for some reason."

Asked after Wednesday's practice what went wrong for Johnson in Denver, coach George Karl said it was a matter of guard numbers.

"You've got Kuba (Yakhouba Diawara), who can play. We've got Bobby Jones, who at times can play," Karl said. "It seems like teams get overloaded with guards."

Out of a job again, Johnson opened the 2007 season in the basketball bush leagues, first playing in Italy and then with the NBA Development League's Austin Toros.

He chose Austin, where he averaged 16.8 points and made 41.3 percent of his 3-pointers in 11 games, because of its affiliation with the Spurs. The team had been in talks with him since he left Denver.

Now, Johnson is back in the NBA hoping to stick. His fate remains in the Spurs' hands.

They have until Jan. 10 to decide whether to keep him. After that date, NBA rules require all non-guaranteed contracts to become guaranteed.

"Hopefully," Johnson said, "I can stay here for the rest of the season."

If he can pull that off — and given his rocky career path Johnson realizes nothing is certain — all the pain of his past might actually be worth it.

Every now and then, memories of that frightening morning five years ago come back to Johnson. The bad dream is never far away.

There is only one way he knows of to keep it at bay.

"I've just got to get in the right situation, get in the rotation," Johnson said. "And do some things to let people know I still can play."

MoSpur
01-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Pretty lenghty, but pretty good story on him. I am sure lets of us know about his story.

SenorSpur
01-03-2008, 02:10 PM
Sounds like he's a good kid who, at one time, had a very bright future. Have to admire his persevereance and determination. He's got some substantial NBA experience under his belt so far. If he can apply it here, this will be a no-risk situation for the Spurs. Either way, I hope it works out for him - whether here or somewhere else.

Spurs Brazil
01-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Jeff McDonald: Special homecoming for newest Spur
DENVER -- Not long after joining the Spurs last week, DerMarr Johnson took a quick look-see at the upcoming schedule. It is with great interest that he noticed the destination of his first road trip as a Spur.

Denver.

The Spurs play there on Thursday.

Johnson played three mostly wasted seasons in the Mile High City before his sort-of-mutual departure this offseason. The Nuggets made it clear they had no plans to re-sign him. By that point, he was playing so little he probably didn't want to return to Denver anyway.

But he doesn't mind being back in Denver now.

"I loved Denver, the city, the fans and my teammates," Johnson said after a Wednesday workout in San Antonio before the Spurs left for Denver. "I had a good time playing there, but I thought my career was really about to pick back up. Then it kind of went downhill out of nowhere."

Why?

"I don't think it was anything I did," he said. "I stayed there all summer and played all summer. I never missed a practice. I got better and did the same things I'd always been doing. It just didn't work out in my favor for some reason."

Meanwhile, over in Denver, Nuggets coach George Karl took the high road in discussing his former benchwarmer. When asked about Johnson's recent call-up from the Developmental League's Austin Toros, Karl was complimentary.

"He's had an interesting career," Karl said. "When I heard he was playing in the D-league, I thought that was good. And then to be rewarded, I think is even better."

So, why didn't Johnson cut it in Denver? According to Karl, there were two reasons: Yakhouba Diawara and Bobby Jones.

"You've got Kuba, who can play," Karl said. "We've got Bobby Jones, who at times can play. It seems like teams get overloaded with guards."

Of course, on the list of acceptable reasons to be cut, "jettisoned in place of Yahkouba Diawara and Bobby Jones" probably doesn't rank very high.
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/01/jeff_mcdonald_s_2.html

urunobili
01-03-2008, 02:28 PM
i like his story... i wish him the best and a championship ring with us to his resume... :)

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-03-2008, 02:30 PM
GK is a douche, thats why DJ isnt in Denver. Same reason Yakhouba and Bobby wont be there soon, coz douchebag would rather play sucky atkins and anthony carter

nfg3
01-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Low risk with the possibility of a high reward - I like that combo. Hopefully he can deliver and that's a pretty sad tough luck story. Good luck to him.

SenorSpur
01-03-2008, 03:00 PM
After all that adversity, you can't help but root for him.

Mr. Body
01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Guess who also was a tall, skinny wing player from Cincinnati who couldn't rebound for anything?

His upside is that he can be plugged in now here and there and not make a hash of things. He knows the NBA, as the article mentions, and doesn't need to learn that game. That said, you can't say he has much more to show on the court; he's basically what he is at this point, a guy who can hit shots here and there, maybe play a little defense, but won't give you many productive minutes and rebounds for shit. It's a good pick-up, but this is no panacea.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 03:08 PM
"You've got Kuba, who can play," Karl said. "We've got Bobby Jones, who at times can play. It seems like teams get overloaded with guards."
:lmao :lmao :lmao

AFBlue
01-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Guess who also was a tall, skinny wing player from Cincinnati who couldn't rebound for anything?

His upside is that he can be plugged in now here and there and not make a hash of things. He knows the NBA, as the article mentions, and doesn't need to learn that game. That said, you can't say he has much more to show on the court; he's basically what he is at this point, a guy who can hit shots here and there, maybe play a little defense, but won't give you many productive minutes and rebounds for shit. It's a good pick-up, but this is no panacea.

Except that this tall, skinny Cincy alum can shoot the ball!

White was a project that the Spurs weren't willing to wait on, while DeMarr actually might help this season and has some room to grow as a player.

Of course, all of this is pointless if he's waived on/before 10 Jan, but he does seem to have the potential to stick with this team long-term if he gets his head right and subscribes to the Spurs' way of doing things.

SenorSpur
01-03-2008, 04:21 PM
With the right attitude, commitment and determination, he may even become version 2.0 of the Anti-Spur (formerly SJAX). He already looks the part, with the headband, cornrows and high socks. :lol

MoSpur
01-03-2008, 04:27 PM
The headband and cornrolls reminded me a lot of Stephen Jackson. It was weird.

Hemotivo
01-03-2008, 04:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2899826

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2933463