PDA

View Full Version : Jeff McDonald: Pop playing possum?

Spurs Brazil
01-03-2008, 05:02 PM
http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/archives/2008/01/jeff_mcdonald_p_3.html

Jeff McDonald: Pop playing possum?
DENVER -- Gregg Popovich says Manu Ginobili is out for tonight's game against Denver with a sprained index finger. Denver coach George Karl isn't so sure.

He has a suspicion that Popovich is playing possum.

"Pop's pretty honest, but he can try to trick up the game," Karl said after shootaround this morning. "Ginobili makes every shot he takes in this building. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the court."

Apprised of Karl's concern, Popovich re-iterated his plan to keep Ginobili in street clothes again tonight. Playing possum?

"I wouldn't do that," Popovich said. "I wouldn't want George to spend all day working up something to defend him for nothing."

Given Popovich's well-documented history of playing it safe with injuries, we believe him when he says Ginobili will be inactive tonight.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Whatever floats Karl's boat, I guess.

ancestron
01-03-2008, 05:12 PM
Karl's such a cynic.

Obstructed_View
01-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I thought Manu set basketball back fifty years. George needs to brush up on his "no comment".

TMTTRIO
01-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Karl is a little too obsessed with worrying about what Manu's going to do but I guess he still has nightmares of the '05 playoffs and what Manu did to him :lol . I would be more concerned at this time about stopping Tim, Tony, and the rest of the team .

timvp
01-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Hmmm ... I wonder how much longer Manu will be out. The Spurs are about to play four games in five nights, so perhaps the Spurs will hold him out until the second set of back-to-backs.

Whatever the case, hopefully Ginobili waits until he's close to 100% before returning. The last thing I want to see is for him to return too soon and then re-injure it.

MoSpur
01-03-2008, 05:30 PM
I know Manu really wants to play. I think if Manu begs him enough, Pop will put him in tonight.

ancestron
01-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Don't get me wrong I would love to see him play as much as anyone, but you have to consider that Manu pretty much only knows how to play full throttle and the risk of him injuring the finger again and missing even more games is too high. I seriously doubt he plays tonight, even though I love seeing him go up against Melo and co.

BonnerDynasty
01-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Yeah Karl. I'm sure Pop wants to play head games and start his injured all-star player for a meaningless regular season game.

Tek_XX
01-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah i can't see Pop wasting any mental activity worrying about confusing Karl. And he enjoys having the opportunity to rest Ginobili. So i wouldn't expect to see Manu until he's close to 100%

Obstructed_View
01-03-2008, 07:41 PM
George thinks he's an intellectual, and that others need to outsmart him in order to beat him. If that were the case the Nuggets wouldn't have nearly as many wins as they do.

SenorSpur
01-03-2008, 07:43 PM
Maybe Manu will be out until after Jan 10th

exstatic
01-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Karl needs to recognize that Denver isn't worth playing mind games with. Nobody cares.

NuGGeTs-FaN
01-03-2008, 08:44 PM
hey ! i care :smokin

Not much about GK, but about the Nuggets i do. They may have some questionable characters on their team but i signed up as a Nugget fan and thus i have to support the team no matter who is leading them or playing on them :smokin

Pop >>>>>>>>>>> GK :clap :lol

mikekim
01-03-2008, 08:52 PM
I actually wouldn't be surprised either way. I know that's sort of a cop-out but I think that's how I feel about it. I can count on Pop's prudence but I can also count on Manu's desire to play...I guess Pop has the final say, so Manu not playing has the slight edge.

SequSpur
01-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Pop is dumb anyway