PDA

View Full Version : Best Spur of all Time?

airjer15
12-31-2004, 09:42 AM
Who would you all say is the best Spur of all Time? I say David Robison, I would say David was even better than George Gervin

Sec24Row7
12-31-2004, 09:49 AM
Timmy

Not really arguable in my opinion.

Two Finals MVP's.

Two Regular Season MVP's.

Dave had 1 MVP and his team then collapsed in the playoffs when he got schooled by Hakeem.

Timmy is still going too.

airjer15
12-31-2004, 09:51 AM
its hard to compare the 2 cause David was old when timmy came along, plus Timmy had a better supporting cast for his Titles

SLOVENIAN 8
12-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Rasho! :lol :hat LOL

Sec24Row7
12-31-2004, 10:28 AM
David had another Hall of famer on the team when he lost to Hakeem in the Western Conference Finals.

He also had at least 1 other person who is getting their number retired, probably two.

samikeyp
12-31-2004, 10:33 AM
While anything is arguable, I would have to agree and say Duncan.

Slo spurs fan
12-31-2004, 10:34 AM
100% Sequspur!

Jimcs50
12-31-2004, 10:59 AM
DRob in his prime was more athletic and could do more things greatand spectacular. TD is more steady and has very little weaknesses. FT shooting is his only weakness. Ice was the best offensive player by far, nobody could guard him one on one.

johnny00
12-31-2004, 11:01 AM
While Timmy would seem to be the obvious choice,my heart lies with the Iceman.

SequSpur
12-31-2004, 11:12 AM
Tim Duncan

Frenchise player
12-31-2004, 11:17 AM
Tim Duncan is the most important player in the Spurs history, Spurs wins their only two title with him.

airjer15
12-31-2004, 11:19 AM
Ice was the best offensive player by far, nobody could guard him one on one.

What about Davids 70 point game, has any other spur ever done that, David in his prime was outstanding at offence

PM5K
12-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Gervin was good but for me if I have to choose between a guard like Gervin that can score and a center/forward like Duncan or Robinson who can score, rebound, and block shots I go with Duncan or Robinson.

Now between those two Robinson has simply put up better numbers, there is no question in my mind that Duncan has never done what Robinson could do in his prime.

Having said that I've always been dissapointed with Duncan because as good as he is I think he can be better. The performance he put up against the Nets in the Finals was something special.

As far as winning Championships, it's not really fair to compare different players from different times with different teams and different opponenets, including a wealth of hall of fame centers as competition (Ewing/Mutombo/Olajuwon).

kginsa
12-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Two words: Timmy Duncan

johnny00
12-31-2004, 11:48 AM
David in his prime was outstanding at offence
If you can ever get a video or highlight tape/DVD of Gervin playing in his heyday you'll see some of the smoothest moves ever on a hardwood floor made by a Spur or any other NBA player ever! He wasn't called the Iceman for nothing.

boutons
12-31-2004, 12:07 PM
I think Iceaman would have been so much better if he had more muscles. :)

Sec24Row7
12-31-2004, 12:22 PM
And did less Cocaine.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-31-2004, 12:40 PM
David Robinson had a better all around game then Duncan has

Sec24Row7
12-31-2004, 12:42 PM
David had a better all around game?

Are you NUTS?

Holy crap.

ALVAREZ6
12-31-2004, 12:44 PM
I think we all agree that Duncan is the answer to this one.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-31-2004, 12:48 PM
Ice Ice Baby.

For those of us who saw 'em all in person, we know there was no one like the ICEMAN.

Solid D
12-31-2004, 12:51 PM
Don't forget about Tim Derk aka. The Coyote!

He's been there through the "Ice Age", "The House of David" and Tim Duncan's era (not sure what to call it yet...maybe "Duncan and The Golden Age".

Sec24Row7
12-31-2004, 12:59 PM
How many shots did David make in his Career with his right hand?

Solid D
12-31-2004, 01:04 PM
Remember when David played Timmy in one-on-one and beat Timmy because he kept stepping out of bounds over by the Gnomes?

samikeyp
12-31-2004, 01:10 PM
I saw Ice play and he is still my personal all-time favorite Spur, he was an average defender at best. He has even admitted as much. Jimmy Franchise is right though, offensively, Ice was the best. But if you are talking all around player, I still say TD. And no, if someone does not agree with you, they are not nuts. :rolleyes

Sec24Row7
12-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Well, yeah, if you are going to bring that up.

samikeyp
12-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Remember when David played Timmy in one-on-one and beat Timmy because he kept stepping out of bounds over by the Gnomes?

The gnomes were part of a Stern Conspiracy [/lakerlanny] :lol

whottt
12-31-2004, 03:24 PM

Are you NUTS?

Holy crap.

Are you???????

Scoring title
Defensive player of the year
Rebounding title
Blocked shots title
Once averaged 4.8 assists per game
Once averaged 2.3 steals per game
Scored 29 ppg
4.5 blocks per game
70 point game
Quadruple double

Duncan is playing a career low in minutes per game and yet we are off to the best start in team history(one predicted by myself I might add)..

Duncan's done what?

Looked good shooting that bank shot?

Won two titles with Drob guarding Shaq?

Duncan has had a better surrounding cast nearly every year of his career.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but it's hardly crazy to say Drob was a more versatile player...I'd say the fact he won a scoring title and was the defensive player of the year pretty much proves he was..being only the second guy in NBA history to lead the league in blocks, boards and scoring helps make his case also...

slayermin
12-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Rodman!!! Just Kidding.

It's gotta be TD, right?

Kori Ellis
12-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Isn't it way too early for Tim to be considered the best Spur of all-time?

Maybe when his career is said and done.

1Parker1
12-31-2004, 05:22 PM
LOL. I vote for Tony Parker as the best Spur of all time :)

samikeyp
12-31-2004, 05:57 PM
I hope that comes true. If it did, there would be a string of titles.

Sense
12-31-2004, 06:13 PM
Tim Duncan.

Phenomanul
12-31-2004, 06:40 PM
It really doesn't matter, they were all on our side..... I actually hope we can win at least 4 or 5 more titles in the Duncan era... the team has the talent to do so.... after which the LeBronasty will begin....

Those who were looking for a name of this era don't ask Barkley.... he already dubbed it the "Groundhog Era"

2pac
12-31-2004, 08:04 PM

Are you NUTS?

Holy crap.

Robinson was a much better defensive player.

Two players have won the Scoring title, rebounding title and blocks title - RObinson and Kareem.
DPOY

JFK
12-31-2004, 08:10 PM
up to this point i'd have to go with David Robinson

RobinsontoDuncan
12-31-2004, 10:50 PM
Are you???????

Scoring title
Defensive player of the year
Rebounding title
Blocked shots title
Once averaged 4.8 assists per game
Once averaged 2.3 steals per game
Scored 29 ppg
4.5 blocks per game
70 point game
Quadruple double

Duncan is playing a career low in minutes per game and yet we are off to the best start in team history(one predicted by myself I might add)..

Duncan's done what?

Looked good shooting that bank shot?

Won two titles with Drob guarding Shaq?

Duncan has had a better surrounding cast nearly every year of his career.

You are entitled to your opinion of course, but it's hardly crazy to say Drob was a more versatile player...I'd say the fact he won a scoring title and was the defensive player of the year pretty much proves he was..being only the second guy in NBA history to lead the league in blocks, boards and scoring helps make his case also...

i was tempted to post some of the essays (i'm gonna call them essays because thats how long they are) that you had previously written on the subject that i have taken the liberty of saving, but i had a feeling you would probably write another one once you saw the post... WHOTTTTTT

RobinsontoDuncan
12-31-2004, 10:53 PM
You want to get an idea of Drob in his prime...I'll try and piece together what he looked like out of modern players..

Offense - Amare Stoudamire, now comes the closest IMO...only Drob was bigger, better, and faster...better dunker, better passer, better PCT shooter, better FT shooter, better jumper.

But the way Amare looks on offense is very similar to what Drob looked like...A bigman with superior speed...as fast many as point guards in the NBA, and powerful hops...On offense lots of jumping and alley ooping and finishing jams...Drob could play in a half court offense passably, he was still next to impossible to guard with one man, either he got fouled on his move to the basket or someone got dunked on or laid up upon,...but it wasn't his strength, running was...

Whether Drob was on O or D...you could always tell he had been in the military...his back was always perfectly straight and you could say he played his entire career standing at attention. His Jumper was kind of funky looking too...like he was on a pogo stick or something...perfectly straight body..you could say he jumped at attention too...it was like one of those kids games where you hit the button and the man shoots the basketball at the hoop..It was very mechanical looking, but it worked.

His dunks were fucking awesome...Dunno why he was never in a dunk contest....Drob may have been a nice guy but his dunks were nasty, evil, ugly and mean...and mofo's did not like getting dunked on by him because he'd make them look like they should be playing in a CBA game. Even better, there were a ton of them his first few years in the league :I don't care how street and how much of a balla they were...Drob's dunks were nastier. I think that's why he was never accepted by the ballas of the league...it just wasn't right to them for a christian nice guy to be able dunk like that. I've seen more than one guy want to fight Drob rather than get dunked on by him again.

Defense - This is the tough one... A cross between Ben Wallace and AK-47...He put up stats like Wallace...but he looked liked AK-47 does when he is defending in the paint...lots of high jumping blocks and quick hands that could steal the ball. Only like with Amare...Drob was better than both these guys in just about every aspect...better shotblocker, better steal artist, quicker, and stronger.

I'll give Wallace this...he's a better rebounder...but that's it...AK-47 isn't in Drob's league as an actual defender in any category...but visually they looked similar when playing D. Shotblocking was his forte...Drob was arguably the greatest shotblocker in history prior to his injury...not just in NBA history...in history period...

Get this...in 1996...

He held just about every shotblocking record in NCAA history(since broken)...
and at the time of his injury he was the all time leader in blocks per game in the NBA...
and he was the career leader in blocks in the Olympics...

That's a lot of freaking block records there for a guy who really didn't even play high school ball and really didn't even play his first year of college....he had only had about an 11 year basketball career at that point in time...

If you you try to sum it up all in one player the closest guy who matches Drob's versatility is KG...But Drob wasn't the perimeter player, rebounder or passer that KG has become...in everything else he was better...and he was much more of a tougher inside player on offense and defense.

Career - Garnett....If you want to see kind of what it was like being a Spurfan back then and the frustrations we went through...imagine what it's been like being a TWolf Fan up until the last 2 years...A one man team pretty much surrounded by journeymen. The one man brings it every night in the regular season because he has too...and has to put up numbers...he has to put up 20-10 for his team to win, to carry his team just far enough to get it's ass beat by a more balanced, talented, and just plain superior team.

Only like with the other comparisons...Drob was better...KG used to carry his team to a 5 or 6 seed and finish second or third in the division, get bounced in the first round...Drob never finished lower than second place in the division, he won the division as often as not, and he'd get us to the second round about the same.

Does it sound like I am romanticizing him by collecting all these elite defensive and offensive players? Perhaps...Does it sound like that would be the most efficient player ever? An NBA fantasy league dream?

Well that's exactly what Drob was, as his record 5 IBM efficiency awards, won in a league with Shaq, Hakeem, Magic, Barkley and Jordan all active players... attest...and he was that versatile...as his being the only man besides Kareem to lead the league in blocks, boards, and scoring proves...as his being the 1st player in NBA history to finish ranked in the top 5 in blocks steals and rebounds, all in the same season, also proves. Oh yeah..and the only guy other than MJ to win a scoring title and a DPOY award. Or to look at it another way...Drob won a scoring title, scored 70 in a game...once lead the Spurs in assists.....and he'd be the first to tell you that he was a defensive player...not an offensive player.

That description is about what DRob looked like and what his career was like...only he was better than that description...and don't listen to the haters...Hakeem got him for 6 games and Drob got him 90% of the rest of the time....if he hadn't been surrounded by journeymen guards and aging vets he would have won an NBA title. He wasn't soft...at the same time he wasn't clutch either...he was more like consistent...he'd hit a shot and then he'd miss a shot and it usually ended up being about 50%...

Although his J was kind of streaky...

It wasn't very often that he'd get super hot and score 17 in a row like Duncan did....at the same time...he didn't get very cold either....and the only way to stop him was to double team him or more...and that's exactly why he had such frustrating playoffs against the Rockets and especially the Jazz...

Then i figured what the hell, ill post one of your essays anyway

Rummpd
12-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Right now Robinson but after a decade = if Duncan another Title or two and MVP either regular or finals = best of all time.

Zmaj
12-31-2004, 11:35 PM
Robinson

2pac
01-01-2005, 12:24 AM
I think that if Pop ran the Spurs throughout the Robinson era the way he does now, SA would have had multiple finals appearances at the very least.

If we had the scouting then that we do now - we would have been amazing.

Dwayne S drafted a couple slots before Elden Campbell?

juncan
01-01-2005, 04:09 AM
Tim Duncan > David Robinson

Admiral is great.

alamo50
01-01-2005, 05:35 AM
Duh!

samikeyp
01-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Ed Nealy. :)

TwoHandJam
01-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Tim's career will be great because he's destined to have a huge supporting cast but I have to agree with Whottt that Robinson, at least up to this point, is the superior player. Tim still has prime years left to prove otherwise but David's accomplishments in his prime with a much lesser supporting cast indicate that he was, at least individually, the better player.

Rick Von Braun
01-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Right now, David Robinson.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-01-2005, 03:52 PM
but hell they're both first ballot hall of famers

samikeyp
01-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Dallas Comegys.

pjjrfan
01-01-2005, 09:01 PM
David Robinson, I don't believe there has ever been a more gifted athlete, 7 ft tall, athletic, quick, fast, and the most unigue human speciman I have ever seen in any sport. I agree with Whott that Amare reminds me a great deal of DRob but I think that David was even more talented and unigue because of his size.

ShoogarBear
01-01-2005, 09:22 PM
DRob and Duncan are unquestionably superior players, but without Ice, the Spurs wouldn't have been included among the ABA teams admitted to the NBA in 1976.

DRob and Duncan are the "best", but Ice is probably the "greatest".

whottt
01-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Sadly, once again Zarko Paspalj is grossly overlooked in a discussion of the greatest Spurs.

Stop the hate.

2pac
01-01-2005, 10:52 PM
DRob and Duncan are unquestionably superior players, but without Ice, the Spurs wouldn't have been included among the ABA teams admitted to the NBA in 1976.

DRob and Duncan are the "best", but Ice is probably the "greatest".

Without DRob, the Spurs would have left San Antonio long ago.

ShoogarBear
01-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Without DRob, the Spurs would have left San Antonio long ago.

You miss the point.

Without Ice, there wouldn't be a team in San Antonio or anyplace else.

2pac
01-01-2005, 11:04 PM
I understand the point. They would have folded like many others.

Gervin saved them then.

Robinson saved them when McCombs was selling.

Duncan got them a new arena. (Way to put it in the wrong place, punk!)

RobinsontoDuncan
01-01-2005, 11:27 PM
i dont think he was attacking you pac.