PDA

View Full Version : Stoudamire Wants a Trade or Buyout

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
Agent says Stoudamire will seek release or trade
By Ronald Tillery
Originally published 04:06 p.m., January 3, 2008
Updated 04:06 p.m., January 3, 2008

BOSTON — Grizzlies veteran point guard Damon Stoudamire will seek a trade or contract buyout, his agent said Thursday.

Stoudamire was removed from the starting lineup in favor of first-round draft pick Mike Conley. Stoudamire was on the inactive list for the Grizzlies' victory Wednesday over Indiana. Aaron Goodwin, an experienced NBA agent with a star-studded client list, called the decision to relegate Stoudamire to an insurance player at the point unacceptable and disrespectful.

A 13-year veteran, Stoudamire started in 29 games for the 9-22 Grizzlies. He averaged 7.3 points on 39-percent shooting and 3.9 assists in 20.5 minutes.

Head coach Marc Iavaroni, however, prefers to commit to a youth movement at the point with Conley starting and second-year player, Kyle Lowry, coming off the bench.

Conley will make his second NBA start Friday when the Griz play the Boston Celtics.

“For the Grizzlies to demote Damon because of his age and because of the team’s record is unacceptable,” Goodwin said. “They’re going to have to do right by Damon — move to get him out of there or restructure his contract so he can be bought out. Mr. Heisley is a good, compassionate man. But we’re not going to sit back and watch Damon’s career rot.”

Goodwin referred to Griz owner Michael Heisley, who said the team will try within reason to accommodate Stoudamire. Heisley, though, cautioned that the team will consider a lot more than Stoudamire’s personal desire if something is done.

“I have deep affection for Damon Stoudamire,” Heisley said. “I was invited to and went to his wedding in Hawaii. He’s been a stand-up guy. We’re not going to treat Damon in a cavalier manner.

“If the opportunity presents itself, I’d love to see Damon play for a championship team. But that means we have to make a trade and somebody has to want him. We all think the world of Damon. We want to do what’s in his best interest as long as it’s in the best interest of the Grizzlies.”

Stoudamire is under contract through the 2008-09 season. He is scheduled to earn $4.65 million in the final season of a four-year deal he signed in 2005. Stoudamire’s contract is also laden with language that determines his salary for 2008-09 based on the minutes he averages this season.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jan/03/agent-says-stoudamire-will-seek-release-or-trade/

kingsfan
01-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Let me guess, he wants to go to Boston?:lol

lefty
01-03-2008, 09:38 PM
Good backup for TP ???

But could he fuck up the chemistry ? :wtf

m33p0
01-03-2008, 10:20 PM
damon stoudamire - jailblazer for life.

Obstructed_View
01-03-2008, 11:13 PM
I was so surprised at how maturely he initially reacted to Conley's being made the starter. I'm no longer surprised.

Armando
01-03-2008, 11:42 PM
I see a trip to Boston very soon.

JamStone
01-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Boston wouldn't want him even if he came cheap. There are very few NBA teams that would really be interested in trading for Damon, probably none that are title contenders even if he came cheap after a buyout.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-04-2008, 12:35 AM
How is this even newsworthy?? :wtf

m33p0
01-04-2008, 11:55 AM
How is this even newsworthy?? :wtf
initial reaction. at first i thought it was gonna be about amare. i got suckered in. :sucker

exstatic
01-05-2008, 02:40 PM
The Grizz will never win an NBA title with Damon as their PG.

:smokin

VaSpursFan
01-05-2008, 02:45 PM
who wants a 50 year old 5'9 PG?

ChumpDumper
01-05-2008, 03:17 PM
He should probably want to stop sucking first.