PDA

View Full Version : Why are we so bad in crunch time?

TDfan2007
01-04-2008, 08:40 PM
This team is just awful in crunch time. Is it just me, or do we lose most games decided by less than 5 points? I don't know what it is but we always seem to make stupid little mistakes/choke in crunch time and lose games. Tim used to be our guy in crunch time but that doesn't look to be the case anymore and Manu, for all everyone says about him being so good in crunch time, hasn't hit a game winner in his career and often makes mistakes down the stretch in close games.

And please, cut the crap with the "it's only January", "SPAM", "look at the calendar", etc. excuses because we've had this problem for a long time. As a matter of fact, it's what lost us the 06 series against Dallas.

BonnerDynasty
01-04-2008, 08:49 PM
If I see Duncan dribble the ball and have it stripped one more time...

SenorSpur
01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
No, it's not just you. It's a valid question you bring up. For all the experience, savvy veterans and overall corporate knowledge on this team, it does make you wonder why this team isn't crisper and sharper in crunch time?

It's almost as though you can set your clock and predict how and when the Spurs will falter down the stretch in recent tight ball games. A turnover here, a defensive breakdown there, missed rebound or whatever. Pick any of the recent losses versus Denver, Memphis, Phoenix, Fakers and of course, let's not forget last season's road loss to Orlando on the Dwight Howard alley oop at the buzzer.

Obviously they can't win EVERY ballgame and a team will have lapses during the season. This isn't a "sky is falling" type of situation because they generally play their best ball later in the season. Furthermore, I realize this criticism comes off as senseless bitching for a team that is defending the NBA championship. However, that's all the more reason to expect more from a methodical championship-level team like the Spurs.

m33p0
01-04-2008, 09:10 PM
the spurs have been very unlucky in close games last season. if you take away all the close games the spurs lost last year, they actually have a far superior record than dallas.

the '06 semis against the mavs, manu had a chance to clinch the deal with that missed layup. he did, however had a deep thigh bruise that limited his lift.

anyway, execution down the stretch is a mental thing. its about imposing one's will over another. this team is one of the best in doing that, on both ends, when it counts.

and it is only january.(sorry, had to sneak that in :lmao )

T Park
01-04-2008, 09:12 PM
why must people get freaked out over meaningless games in wich they are missing 2 key rotation players?

SenorSpur
01-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Missing key rotation players isn't the reason. You can find these types of mental breakdowns dating back to the "06 season

mVp
01-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Don't push the panic button yet :lol

Budkin
01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
I think it's just a matter of back luck really. Sometimes it's sloppy play but often times we've gotten bad breaks.

SouthernFried
01-04-2008, 10:37 PM
why must people get freaked out over meaningless games in wich they are missing 2 key rotation players?

:tu