PDA

View Full Version : Manu MVP?

traitoravery
01-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Is Manu the MVP of this Team? With Manu and Brent out the Spurs Bench looks like crap and the Team barely looks like a playoff contender. Is it just January blues or is Manu the real MVP of this team?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-04-2008, 10:15 PM
No, Brent is.

duncan228
01-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Duncan is still the MVP of this team.

loveforthegame
01-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I think Duncan is the MVP of this team. No doubt the Spurs miss Ginobli. He brings instant offense and does so many things for other players and is another ball handler out there.

The Spurs are missing scoring off the bench with him and Brent out. Bonner had done well but no one else has really stepped up.

BonnerDynasty
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Having the team complete is MVP.

You can't take a piece out of the big 3 and expect them to win for long imo.

m33p0
01-04-2008, 10:28 PM
the mvp is the backbone of the team without whom all things a team does to win would be harder to achieved. no doubt manu and tony brings alot to the table. but the spurs' success is predicated on having a dominant big man on the post to create wide open lanes for penetration and working the perimeter when said big man is double teamed.
timmy is da man!

kobe_bryant
01-04-2008, 10:29 PM
manu by a left foot

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-04-2008, 10:47 PM
After this NY game, His fourth quarter presence is definitely missed, if anything we probably lose 1 1/2 as many games without him

lefty
01-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Beno...

Wait, he left :p:

bigfundamental21
01-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Duncan is still the MVP of this team.
I agree Duncan is the MVP. The rest of the team gets open looks because he draws so much attention.

Manu is the heart of our team though. His energy is contagious and he brings that killer instinct that we need.

Hemotivo
01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
Manu is the heart of our team

Kori Ellis
01-04-2008, 11:18 PM
If any of the Big Three were out for this extended period, we'd probably see similar damage to the team. They all bring something to the table that takes the pressure off of each other. When one of them is out, teams can collapse their defenses and cause all kinds of trouble for the Spurs offensively.

The fact that Tony still seems hobbled by his ankle and the Spurs defense isn't up to end-of-the-year standards yet makes things even worse.

Thank goodness Bowen hit those clutch free throws :smokin

Kori Ellis
01-04-2008, 11:19 PM
Oh .. and Tim is definitely the MVP of this team, if we have to pick one.

But we don't.

Kori Ellis
01-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Having the team complete is MVP.

You can't take a piece out of the big 3 and expect them to win for long imo.

Exactly.

ShoogarBear
01-04-2008, 11:22 PM
Thank goodness Bowen hit those clutch free throws :smokinA Google search for that phrase caused my computer to crash.

greens
01-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Is Manu the MVP of this Team? With Manu and Brent out the Spurs Bench looks like crap and the Team barely looks like a playoff contender. Is it just January blues or is Manu the real MVP of this team?

The Spurs just do not look like their usual self in the last couple of games...Manu brings a lot to the table, so I think his presence is incredibly missed...His offensive spark, passing, steals, etc...all the intangibles as well. Plus, Manu is the clutch player of the Spurs. So in the four quarters, especially, you really miss his presence...

The Big Three(well, actually, the Big Four, including Bruce) are the heart of the team, in my opinion. That's what makes the Spurs so good...the team chemistry aspect...Especially these four players...The Big Three offer so much offense and rebounding and etc...while Bruce defends the best players on the other teams every night. I'm shocked that Bruce has yet to win the DPY award! In my opinion, he has deserved it every year!

I think these four players are basically the MVPs of this team. I know that Tim is the foundation of the Spurs, the main leader, the main guy...I just think that in order to win playoff games/championships, you need your main players all playing in the game.

Lately, without Manu, the offense is really lacking...something seems really off. The game with Spurs vs Knicks should not have been so close in the first place! The last few games just looked really ugly...

And Manu has been out for the last 5 games already...I think he should play on Sunday...if 100% healthy.

So to answer the question, yes, Manu is indeed one of the MVPs of this team, for sure. And a HUGE part of the reason why the Spurs are losing lately is because one of their most important pieces is not in the uniform...

I'm just happy that the Spurs won today! I hate seeing them lose so much lately...

And I can't wait to see the Big Four playing together in a game soon...Right now, the Spurs just don't look the same at all without Manu...

urunobili
01-04-2008, 11:28 PM
The Spurs just do not look like their usual self in the last couple of games...Manu brings a lot to the table, so I think his presence is incredibly missed...His offensive spark, passing, steals, etc...all the intangibles as well. Plus, Manu is the clutch player of the Spurs. So in the four quarters, especially, you really miss his presence...

The Big Three(well, actually, the Big Four, including Bruce) are the heart of the team, in my opinion. That's what makes the Spurs so good...the team chemistry aspect...Especially these four players...The Big Three offer so much offense and rebounding and etc...while Bruce defends the best players on the other teams every night.

I think these four players are basically the MVPs of this team. I know that Tim is the foundation of the Spurs, the main leader, the main guy...I just think that in order to win playoff games/championships, you need your main players all playing in the game.

Lately, without Manu, the offense is really lacking...something seems really off. The game with Spurs vs Knicks should not have been so close in the first place! The last few games just looked really ugly...

And Manu has been out for the last 5 games already...I think he should play on Sunday...if 100% healthy.

So to answer the question, yes, Manu is indeed one of the MVPs of this team, for sure. And a HUGE part of the reason why the Spurs are losing lately is because one of their most important pieces is not in the uniform...

I'm just happy that the Spurs won today! I hate seeing them lose so much lately...

And I can't wait to see the Big Four playing together in a game soon...Right now, the Spurs just don't look the same at all without Manu...
Really liked your post.
I think Manu is the best Finisher of the team. we should have been saying for YEARS the big 4... i definitively sense that franchise inside doors thinks that way too... Timee TP Manu and Bruce are the engine of the Spurs Spirit... it complementary players & team chemistry makes them champions :music

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-04-2008, 11:31 PM
A Google search for that phrase caused my computer to crash.
:lol

greens
01-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Really liked your post.
I think Manu is the best Finisher of the team. we should have been saying for YEARS the big 4... i definitively sense that franchise inside doors thinks that way too... Timee TP Manu and Bruce are the engine of the Spurs Spirit... it complementary players & team chemistry makes them champions :music

Thank you! And yup, I completely agree. What makes them champions is the team aspect and especially the Big Four. I've been saying it for a while that it should be called the Big Four, as opposed to the Big Three...After all, the Big Four won 3 championships together (TD, 4, of course). Bruce's defense is so equally important...Surely, everyone who saw the finals last year can see how amazingly he defended Lebron especially...And Manu is definitely the finisher of this team, the clutch player...

You need all the pieces to win...

Pistons < Spurs
01-05-2008, 12:00 AM
The beautiful thing about the Spurs of the last 3 years or so, is that there is no MVP. It's all about team. Certain nights and games might present a hero to talk about. But overall it's the fact that main players are so consistent. The main 4 know what to expect from each other. And none of them are looking for individual success. It's all about the TEAM. The DNA of the team dictates that no one person is more important than another.

The Spurs ( and to a lesser extent based on success, my Pistons ) represent what a team is all about. Any given night, someone can be the guy to carry them ... offensively or defensively. And the others don't feel slighted.

Obviously missing a key piece of the team forces the team to struggle, but that makes me question the caliber of the bench more than anything else.

I'd like to think that missing one of the main 4 wouldn't be as difficult as it's looked for the Spurs of late. Of course also missing Barry is key.

I'm just hopeful that next Thursday sees a mostly healthy Spurs team host my Pistons, and we're given another great game to watch.

lefty
01-05-2008, 12:00 AM
The beautiful thing about the Spurs of the last 3 years or so, is that there is no MVP. It's all about team. Certain nights and games might present a hero to talk about. But overall it's the fact that main players are so consistent. The main 4 know what to expect from each other. And none of them are looking for individual success. It's all about the TEAM. The DNA of the team dictates that no one person is more important than another.

The Spurs ( and to a lesser extent based on success, my Pistons ) represent what a team is all about. Any given night, someone can be the guy to carry them ... offensively or defensively. And the others don't feel slighted.

Obviously missing a key piece of the team forces the team to struggle, but that makes me question the caliber of the bench more than anything else.

I'd like to think that missing one of the main 4 wouldn't be as difficult as it's looked for the Spurs of late. Of course also missing Barry is key.

I'm just hopeful that next Thursday sees a mostly healthy Spurs team host my Pistons, and we're given another great game to watch.

:tu

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
+ 1

I know, they're just too well balanced of a team. I think it's refreshing to have a team that isn't entirely dependent on one individual player.

m33p0
01-05-2008, 12:40 AM
manu by a nose

timvp
01-05-2008, 01:17 AM
Is Manu the MVP of this Team? With Manu and Brent out the Spurs Bench looks like crap and the Team barely looks like a playoff contender. Is it just January blues or is Manu the real MVP of this team?The Spurs weren't exactly setting the world ablaze when Duncan and Parker missed playing time. Plus, any bench is going to look like crap if you take away the two best players.

One can argue that Manu is the best player on the team but pointing at how the team plays without him isn't going to win the argument.

Without Vaughn - 7-1
Without Ginobili - 4-2
Without Barry - 3-2
Without Duncan - 2-2
Without Elson - 1-2
Without Parker - 1-3

Unless, of course, you want to argue Elson as the second best player on the team.

:smokin

TMTTRIO
01-05-2008, 01:25 AM
Out of Tim, Tony, and Manu he's probably the easiest one to replace with other players but I still think we have really missed what he brings to the game and they just seem to struggle without him. It looks like we'll continue to see how they do without him for a while longer.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010508.04D.BKNspurs.ginobili.2f7092f.html
"I am to see the doctor again (Wednesday)," Ginobili said. "But, hopefully, I can play the next game."

The Spurs play the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday afternoon at Staples Center.

SpursWillOwn
01-05-2008, 02:19 AM
aft lookin at how Manu played when Duncan and Parker were out, I'm pretty convinced Manu can't be Spurs' MVP long term. He is seriously the best streaky player around the league, pretty much because he doesn't have the stamina to keep the intensity up all the time. Unlike Parker and Duncan, not that we don't miss Manu but he isn't the all season MVP.

greens
01-05-2008, 02:44 AM
The Spurs weren't exactly setting the world ablaze when Duncan and Parker missed playing time. Plus, any bench is going to look like crap if you take away the two best players.

One can argue that Manu is the best player on the team but pointing at how the team plays without him isn't going to win the argument.

Without Vaughn - 7-1
Without Ginobili - 4-2
Without Barry - 3-2
Without Duncan - 2-2
Without Elson - 1-2
Without Parker - 1-3

Unless, of course, you want to argue Elson as the second best player on the team.

:smokin

I thought in the last five games without Manu, the team went 3-2...Manu did miss five games...Or are you also counting the game where he re-injured his finger and only played for like one minute in the Clippers game...Okay, that would probably make it 4-2...

I agree I don't think numbers can tell the whole story...But it's obvious that in the last few days, the Spurs have been looking pretty badly...for whatever reason that is. And a huge part due to Manu not playing...After all, for a time, he was the leading scorer on the team, now the second leading scorer...

I just think out of the Big Four, each one is as important...I think TD is the leader and will always be the leader of the team...but you also need Manu, Tony, and Bruce...

For me, it's the whole team aspect...

timvp
01-05-2008, 02:48 AM
I thought in the last four games without Manu, the team went 2-2...Manu did miss four games...Or are you also counting the game where he re-injured his finger and only played for like one minute in the Clippers game...That would make it 3-2, not 4-2...Yeah, I counted that game against the Clippers where Manu played about a minute. And I just re-looked and it's 4-2.

peskypesky
01-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Tim is the MVP, but Spurs do not repeat without Manu. In fact, they might not make it past the second round of playoffs without him. He is a game-changer.

greens
01-05-2008, 02:53 AM
Yeah, I counted that game against the Clippers where Manu played about a minute. And I just re-looked and it's 4-2.

Whoops...my bad. I also originally forgot to add up today's win since it's so recent. So yup, counting the Clipper game, that would make it 4-2. :)

EDIT: LOL, you're fast...I was just re-editing my previous message once I realized I forgot to add today's game...

BornForMiracle
01-05-2008, 02:56 AM
aft lookin at how Manu played when Duncan and Parker were out, I'm pretty convinced Manu can't be Spurs' MVP long term. He is seriously the best streaky player around the league, pretty much because he doesn't have the stamina to keep the intensity up all the time. Unlike Parker and Duncan, not that we don't miss Manu but he isn't the all season MVP.

Yes, maybe Manu are not the most important. But please look at the opponents when we lost the game. Without Manu, we only won LAC、Chicago、Memphis&Knicks, none of them wins more than 40%. And we lost the game against Denver(who wins 62.5%,last time we won just twenty days ago)&Toronto(51.5%).

ChumpDumper
01-05-2008, 02:59 AM
So Manu should get injured when we play better opponents.

porscha
01-05-2008, 04:13 AM
manu is the mvp...in my heart...always

Typhoon
01-05-2008, 05:22 AM
manu is the mvp...in my heart...always

gay.............

WalterBenitez
01-05-2008, 06:26 AM
Nop ... I have to chose one I'll go with TD

But in Many games is TP, Manu, Elson, Bruce (last night), Finley, etc...

The difference among league is that are a few teams like Spurs, Det, now Boston (3 boys ahead), but certainly only a Superstar can't carry an entire team to get a championship.