PDA

View Full Version : Should Spurs look at JR Smith again?

AFBlue
01-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Kid got his second DNP in a row and no medical condition was listed as a reason.

It's clear he's in Karl's doghouse again and has found himself out of the rotation altogether.

Facts for:

- Spurs have previous interest, almost pulling off a deadline deal a few years back that didn't get completed in time.

- Spurs are in search of cheap young wing players that can shoot....and while he's no D-league bargain, Smith certainly fits those categories.

- Spurs have a couple assets that could be utilized. IIRC, Spurs got a trade exception from the Beno deal that might work. The other deal would be to send back Elson. Both would be accompanied with a pick I assume.

Facts against:

- Smith has had off-court issues in the past couple years that might deter the Spurs FO

- Smith has also had some on-court mental lapses that might land him in the doghouse as much here as he is in Denver

- Unless the Spurs get some cash back or make the move with Elson, getting Smith might put them over the lux tax threshold.

- Johnson, Langford, Williams, or any number of D-league players could offer both short-term and long-term solutions at the wing position most likely for a cheaper price.

Bottom Line: Smith is a wildly talented young player that has landed himself in Karl's doghouse and could probably be had on the cheap. But the reason he's in the doghouse is his propensity to make mental mistakes and probably some off-court baggage, so he might not be worth it.

I just thoght I'd throw it out there and see what people thought....good, bad, feasible?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I'd rather give Johnson and Langford some time.

Hemotivo
01-04-2008, 11:51 PM
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8291/reid120499su7.jpg

urunobili
01-04-2008, 11:56 PM
no thugs please... prefer to give DeMarr a chance

tav1
01-04-2008, 11:58 PM
I'd rather the Spurs did not take a chance Smith. I think standing pat is their best option, with the hope that Udoka becomes more comfortable with their system between now and the playoffs.

If they did rekindle old flames, I'd prefer they flirt with someone like C-Mags. Barry, Elson and a 2nd round pick might get it done. That works under the cap and would save the Spurs 1.5 million this season. They could still keep D. Johnson, too. If they want to gamble, Maggette is not a bad option. He only has one more year on his contract, with an option this summer. If he walked, no one would cry.

AFBlue
01-04-2008, 11:59 PM
no thugs please... prefer to give DeMarr a chance

Not trying to say you're wrong about thuggary, but DeMarr isn't exactly an upstanding citizen either. He's had off-court issues of his own.

Darkwaters
01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
Even if he were playing for free and had entered the seminary I doubt I could welcome JR Smith with open arms.

lefty
01-05-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't want JR...

Plus, he chocked badly against us last playoffs, so no

AFBlue
01-05-2008, 12:09 AM
If they did rekindle old flames, I'd prefer they flirt with someone like C-Mags. Barry, Elson and a 2nd round pick might get it done. That works under the cap and would save the Spurs 1.5 million this season. They could still keep D. Johnson, too. If they want to gamble, Maggette is not a bad option. He only has one more year on his contract, with an option this summer. If he walked, no one would cry.

I was all for the Maggette deal last year, but similar to last year, it seems the Spurs FO is content to stick with this core group of rotation players for 07-08.

If the Spurs do make a trade, which I admit is a BIG if, I think it would be for smaller players that may or may not factor into the equation this year....like they did last year with Williams-for-Ely.

Smith could be swapped for a guy that plays a limited role on this team (Elson), and he would be an option at the wing position down the stretch, but not necessarily counted on for production.

TDMVPDPOY
01-05-2008, 12:12 AM
keep udoka and DJ plz

what we need is not more wing players...but a fukn backup PG immediately

Darkwaters
01-05-2008, 12:54 AM
keep udoka and DJ plz

what we need is not more wing players...but a fukn backup PG immediately

Agreed. Vaughn is a stop gap at best...so why have we been without a true backup for nearly two years?

Udoka could very easily come around as a nice piece next season and Dermarr has a pretty nice chance of panning out as well. We're looking better on the wings for the future now than I thought we would.

m33p0
01-05-2008, 12:54 AM
corey maggette will be available?

-------------------------
averages for the season:
rebounds 6.2
steals 1.16
blocks.16
turnovers 2.92
foulds 3.08
assists 2.7
points 19.9
playing 34.6 minutes a game

checking the trade machine, he has 2 years left on his $7mil a year contract. any thoughts on him?

BeerIsGood!
01-05-2008, 02:18 AM
Agreed. Vaughn is a stop gap at best...so why have we been without a true backup for nearly two years?

Udoka could very easily come around as a nice piece next season and Dermarr has a pretty nice chance of panning out as well. We're looking better on the wings for the future now than I thought we would.

Who are you going to get that takes care of the ball as well as Vaughn, plays defense as well as Vaughn, and makes a relatively similar salary? TP is the man at the point and there isn't anyone with big time talent willing to play second fiddle. Even if there were, that would be an expensive backup PG and money horribly spent.

Armando
01-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Why give Popovich that headache?

DazedAndConfused
01-05-2008, 03:17 AM
Trust me you don't want JR Smith. He's a known headcase, I'm sure Pop could handle him but why do that to yourself?

Kamnik
01-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Screw that punk.

He does not deserve to ever wear another NBA jersey...

Bruno
01-05-2008, 08:42 AM
No.
And even if Spurs want to have a look at Smith, they can wait this summer and signing him. He will likely be an unrestricted free agent.
My fantasy trade target, among realistic options, for the deadline is Ryan Gomes.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Kid got his second DNP in a row and no medical condition was listed as a reason.

It's clear he's in Karl's doghouse again and has found himself out of the rotation altogether.

Facts for:

- Spurs have previous interest, almost pulling off a deadline deal a few years back that didn't get completed in time.

- Spurs are in search of cheap young wing players that can shoot....and while he's no D-league bargain, Smith certainly fits those categories.

- Spurs have a couple assets that could be utilized. IIRC, Spurs got a trade exception from the Beno deal that might work. The other deal would be to send back Elson. Both would be accompanied with a pick I assume.

Facts against:

- Smith has had off-court issues in the past couple years that might deter the Spurs FO

- Smith has also had some on-court mental lapses that might land him in the doghouse as much here as he is in Denver

- Unless the Spurs get some cash back or make the move with Elson, getting Smith might put them over the lux tax threshold.

- Johnson, Langford, Williams, or any number of D-league players could offer both short-term and long-term solutions at the wing position most likely for a cheaper price.

Bottom Line: Smith is a wildly talented young player that has landed himself in Karl's doghouse and could probably be had on the cheap. But the reason he's in the doghouse is his propensity to make mental mistakes and probably some off-court baggage, so he might not be worth it.

I just thoght I'd throw it out there and see what people thought....good, bad, feasible?

Nice breakdown, not going to happen because of emboldened reasons.

If Beno and Malik could'nt get out of Pop's doghouse, do you think JR ever would?

SenorSpur
01-05-2008, 12:43 PM

averages for the season:
rebounds 6.2
steals 1.16
blocks.16
turnovers 2.92
foulds 3.08
assists 2.7
points 19.9

checking the trade machine, he has 2 years left on his $7mil a year contract. any thoughts on him?

I know he's not a popular choice on this board, but I still like Maggette for the skills that he brings to the table. I said it last year, the Spurs could stand to benefit from his midrange game, getting into the paint, rebounding and FT shooting. I like him so much more than Smith.

Darkwaters
01-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I know he's not a popular choice on this board, but I still like Maggette for the skills that he brings to the table. I said it last year, the Spurs could stand to benefit from his midrange game, getting into the paint, rebounding and FT shooting. I like him so much more than Smith.

I whole heartedly agree with this sentiment. But Maggette's price tag is also quite a bit bigger. JR Smith is an outcast that the Nuggets would love to part with. Maggette is a guy that plays a crucial role for his team though and is in their plans for the future right now. Not to mention how much more Maggette makes than Smith and the assets that it would require to pry him away vs. Smith.

lefty
01-05-2008, 12:51 PM

averages for the season:
rebounds 6.2
steals 1.16
blocks.16
turnovers 2.92
foulds 3.08
assists 2.7
points 19.9

NO

SenorSpur
01-05-2008, 12:52 PM
I whole heartedly agree with this sentiment. But Maggette's price tag is also quite a bit bigger. JR Smith is an outcast that the Nuggets would love to part with. Maggette is a guy that plays a crucial role for his team though and is in their plans for the future right now. Not to mention how much more Maggette makes than Smith and the assets that it would require to pry him away vs. Smith.

I believe Maggette is an unrestricted FA after this season.

Armando
01-05-2008, 12:54 PM
The Spurs should go for Arenas. Just seeing Popovich having to deal with him would be fun to watch.

lefty
01-05-2008, 12:55 PM
The Spurs should go for Arenas. Just seeing Popovich having to deal with him would be fun to watch.
:lol :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 01:00 PM
I believe Maggette is an unrestricted FA after this season.
He still has one more year after this season, at $7M.

AFBlue
01-05-2008, 01:00 PM
No.
And even if Spurs want to have a look at Smith, they can wait this summer and signing him. He will likely be an unrestricted free agent.
My fantasy trade target, among realistic options, for the deadline is Ryan Gomes.

Both Gomes and Smith are restricted FAs this summer. Just FYI.

AFBlue
01-05-2008, 01:01 PM
He still has one more year after this season, at $7M.

Yes, but he has the choice to opt out of that final season and enter the FA market.

Not sure why he'd do it, because there will only be one or two teams under the cap enough to give him a raise over his current salary.

exstatic
01-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Yes, but he has the choice to opt out of that final season and enter the FA market.

Not sure why he'd do it, because there will only be one or two teams under the cap enough to give him a raise over his current salary.
Bonzi Wells and Sprewell, that's all I have to say. If you have a contract or an offer comfortably above the MCE in a tight market, you keep or take it. The only reasons to opt out are if you have a blowup season (he isn't) or if you want to lock in long term and the team is agreeable (Maggette doesn't seem happy enough to lock down).

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 01:10 PM
I would also love for Maggette to be on the Spurs, but the way I view it we would need to get rid of 3 of the 5 players in order to get him a regular amount of time: Barry, Finley, Johnson, Langford, or Udoka. Johnson I'd say cancels out because of their lack of playing time this year. The Clippers might be interested in Langford for his age, his stats in the D-League, and his capability to shoot threes. And with the way Finley is playing this year, the Clippers would probably demand one of the players be him. And with Udoka's contract not fitting the bill in terms of salary comparisons, the trade would have to be either Finley+Barry+Langford for Maggette+cash or Finley+Barry for Maggette.

AFBlue
01-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Who are you going to get that takes care of the ball as well as Vaughn, plays defense as well as Vaughn, and makes a relatively similar salary? TP is the man at the point and there isn't anyone with big time talent willing to play second fiddle. Even if there were, that would be an expensive backup PG and money horribly spent.

Add to those concerns the fact that Pop doesn't seem to trust anyone to be brought in to run the team.

It's far more likely, as we've seen, that the Spurs will plug-n-play with their wing players rather than their PG.

Bottom Line: For this year it's Parker/Vaughn and the emergency third stringer is either Barry or Ginobili.

AFBlue
01-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I would also love for Maggette to be on the Spurs, but the way I view it we would need to get rid of 3 of the 5 players in order to get him a regular amount of time: Barry, Finley, Johnson, Langford, or Udoka. Johnson I'd say cancels out because of their lack of playing time this year. The Clippers might be interested in Langford for his age, his stats in the D-League, and his capability to shoot threes. And with the way Finley is playing this year, the Clippers would probably demand one of the players be him. And with Udoka's contract not fitting the bill in terms of salary comparisons, the trade would have to be either Finley+Barry+Langford for Maggette+cash or Finley+Barry for Maggette.

All of that and....

You still did not address the fact that the Spurs are FAR less likely to make a deal that will get rid of regular rotation players and have Pop starting at square 1 with his rotation and minutes.

IF the Spurs make a trade it's much more likely to be for a player that has a chance to impact the rotation, but may not. They are also more likely to trade a player that is not currently in the rotation....and the only way they get Maggette is to give up a guy like Barry, who was in the rotation prior to his injury.

Bottom Line: Looking at history, the Spurs wouldn't make a trade that gives away a regular rotation player for another player that will likely expect guaranteed minutes.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 01:21 PM
All of that and....

You still did not address the fact that the Spurs are FAR less likely to make a deal that will get rid of regular rotation players and have Pop starting at square 1 with his rotation and minutes.

IF the Spurs make a trade it's much more likely to be for a player that has a chance to impact the rotation, but may not. They are also more likely to trade a player that is not currently in the rotation....and the only way they get Maggette is to give up a guy like Barry, who was in the rotation prior to his injury.

Bottom Line: Looking at history, the Spurs wouldn't make a trade that gives away a regular rotation player for another player that will likely expect guaranteed minutes.
I agree completely. I know the Spurs FO won't let that happen. I was just trying my best to give a decent scenario.

AFBlue
01-05-2008, 01:24 PM
One more in the "for" category....

The Spurs were at least interested in Kyle Korver, which tells me they're still looking for a sweet-shooting wing player and are willing to give up smaller pieces (Elson, etc.) to get them.

AFBlue
01-05-2008, 01:31 PM
I've changed my stance....

Rasual Butler is apparently available.

He is a 6'7 G/F with 3pt shooting range an seemingly no off-court or character issues.

ELSON FOR BUTLER!

Bruno
01-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Both Gomes and Smith are restricted FAs this summer. Just FYI.

A player isn't restricted if his team doesn't make a qualifying offer.
Smith qualifying offer will be high ($2.3M) and Denver is in the luxury tax area. I don't see Nuggets making a qualifying offer, that will cost them $4.6M, to him if they continue to bench him. In that case, Smith will become an unrestricted free agent.

remingtonbo2001
01-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Spurs will not trade Finley. PERIOD.

Elson is the only person I would put on the trading block. Maybe Barry, but that would be very risky in terms of messing with team chemistry.

I like what Demarre has brought to the team thus far. Hopefully he will begin to pick up on our defensive schemes. He just needs to maintain a high level of work ethic and I think with time he'll fit right in to our system. That being said, there is no need to make a trade in my opinion.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
On Gomes, I thin Minne will want to keep him - he was the second best Boston player in the KG trade after Jefferson.

AFBlue
01-06-2008, 01:04 AM
On Gomes, I thin Minne will want to keep him - he was the second best Boston player in the KG trade after Jefferson.

Agreed....

Gomes started and played 40 minutes in last night's game. Provided they can reach a reasonable deal with him this summer, I expect him to be in a Minnesota uni for a long while. Even if not, I expect them to tender him a qualifying offer and match any reasonable deals.

The guy on the T-Wolves that came over in the KG trade that is intriguing because of his upside and lack of PT with Minny....is Gerald Green.

Green is getting NO playing time in Minnesota and is a 21yr old G/F with a sweet shooting stroke and excellent athleticism. Under the right coach, he could be a STUD.

The Spurs could see about trading for him and give him essentially a six-month tryout before deciding whether to retain him this summer, as he would be a free agent.