PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Ginobili not ready to go yet

BornForMiracle
01-05-2008, 01:49 AM
Spurs notebook: Ginobili not ready to go yet

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010508.04D.BKNspurs.ginobili.2f7092f.html

Web Posted: 01/05/2008 12:30 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News

Spurs guard Manu Ginobili spent most of an hour on the AT&T Center court before Friday's game against the New York Knicks, running through conditioning and shooting drills. He worked on one-on-one moves, including drives to the basket.
He looked like a player ready for a game, and early-arriving fans who had witnessed Ginobili's workout must have wondered why he did not suit up against the Knicks.

Ginobili may have wondered why, too.

"Don't get me in trouble," he said when a reporter approached him as he cooled off on the Spurs' bench after his workout.

The decision to hold Ginobili out of a fifth-straight game to protect a sprained left index finger disappointed the ultra-competitive guard from Argentina, but he understood the rationale.

For one thing, Ginobili explained, he still has some difficulty dribbling while wearing a specially designed finger splint.

"It is not difficult to grip the ball for my shot," he said, "because the shot comes off the fingers. But the tape and padding has to go around my hand and on the palm of my hand. Dribbling is hard because the ball needs to slide in the hand and the tape makes it difficult."

"I am to see the doctor again (Wednesday)," Ginobili said. "But, hopefully, I can play the next game."

The Spurs play the Los Angeles Clippers on Sunday afternoon at Staples Center.

TMTTRIO
01-05-2008, 01:52 AM
I'd say rest him until he's fully healed. Hey he can sit both Sunday and Monday's game as long as he's back by Thursday (I got some tickets for that one :lol ). I know he's looked anxious sitting on the bench but I'd rather have him 100%. Hopefully the other guys can get it together for a while.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-05-2008, 01:56 AM
I'd rather have him sit out Sunday's game since that's going to be before he sees the doctor.

I don't care how antsy he is. :lol

timvp
01-05-2008, 02:03 AM
"I am to see the doctor again (Wednesday)," Ginobili said.Sounds like the plan is to hold him out until the Pistons game. Best to just keep him out until it gets to the point he can't re-injure it.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Sounds like the plan is to hold him out until the Pistons game. Best to just keep him out until it gets to the point he can re-injure it.
:lol

I think Lebron was out around this many games with his sprained finger so it's still okay with me. If our team wasn't as theoretically deep as it is compared to other seasons, Pop wouldn't be so conservative.
On the other hand, besides helping us win, Manu *does* help bring that "wow" factor to our Spurs' regular season games. Five games seems reasonable but seven games is pushing it.

timvp
01-05-2008, 02:39 AM
I think Lebron was out around this many games with his sprained finger so it's still okay with me. Yeah, it looks like LeBron missed two weeks with the injury. If Manu plays next game, he will have missed two weeks.

WalterBenitez
01-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Hey POP free the boy

"because the shot comes off the fingers. But the tape and padding has to go around my hand and on the palm of my hand. Dribbling is hard because the ball needs to slide in the hand and the tape makes it difficult."

BTW more turnovers are coming :p:

bigfundamental21
01-05-2008, 08:34 AM
We can't risk Manu coming back too soon. It is hard to watch the team play without him, but we want Manu at 100%. The rest of the team just has to play through his absence. Unfortunately, we have been struggling, but it is only January. There is still a long way to go and at this point in the season it makes no sense to rush a player back, especially a player as valuable as Manu.

Gino20
01-05-2008, 02:01 PM
I doubt visiting the doctor will reveal anything new about Manu's injury. From the article, it's more about him feeling more comfortable wearing the splint. I have a funny feeling we will see him for the upcoming roadtrip against the cali teams....

SouthernFried
01-05-2008, 04:39 PM
When he doesn't need a splint to play...is when he should come back.

I don't like seeing people play with casts or splints. If they still need those things, they should be letting it heal first.

Face masks and tooth guards are more preventative. Casts and splints are more recuperative.

remingtonbo2001
01-05-2008, 06:18 PM
It's JANURARY!

There is absolutely no reason to bring him back before THURSDAY.

LaMarcus Bryant
01-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I can't believe yet again I'm the only one who is acknowledging the overall horrible news of him being out 2 weeks with an injury to the index finger of his shooting hand...he was shooting very good this season and i doubt he regains that fully for the rest of the season after this type of injury.