PDA

View Full Version : Is this Shaq's last season?

peskypesky
01-05-2008, 03:05 AM
Anyone think he'll come back for another season? I can't see it. He doesn't want to retire without another Championship, but his skills are diminished, his team sucks, Zo is gone...he's injured half the time....

lefty
01-05-2008, 03:07 AM
Yes

itzsoweezee
01-05-2008, 03:23 AM
he's getting paid a shitload of money. of course he's coming back.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 09:32 AM
He'll come back for the money.

exstatic
01-05-2008, 11:01 AM
he's getting paid a shitload of money. of course he's coming back.
+1

Armando
01-05-2008, 11:01 AM
He will be back but I think 08-09 is it for him. On another note is great to see Dwight Howard leading the vote for All Star. I still can't see how Shaq won the votes last year despite not playing at the time.

exstatic
01-05-2008, 11:03 AM
He'll play to the end of his contract, or until Miami buys him out at 100%. He will absolutely NOT leave any years at $20M per on the table. Are you people mental?
Expect to see his blubbery ass lumbering up and down the court for 40-65 games per year until 2010. Miami was fucking stupid to give him a five year deal when he was clearly already circling the bowl, healthwise, and his backup is on borrowed time.

JamStone
01-05-2008, 11:09 AM
LMAO he has two years left on his contract after this season is over.

Armando
01-05-2008, 11:10 AM
He'll play to the end of his contract, or until Miami buys him out at 100%. He will absolutely NOT leave any years at $20M per on the table. Are you people mental?
Expect to see his blubbery ass lumbering up and down the court for 40-65 games per year until 2010. Miami was fucking stupid to give him a five year deal when he was clearly already circling the bowl, healthwise, and his backup is on borrowed time.

Is fine if Riley wanted to give him a 5 year deal but he should have put in a team option for the final year. Now the Heat this off season will have a hard time getting free agents like Gilbert Arenas with Shaq's cap sapping contract.

exstatic
01-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Is fine if Riley wanted to give him a 5 year deal but he should have put in a team option for the final year. Now the Heat this off season will have a hard time getting free agents like Gilbert Arenas with Shaq's cap sapping contract.
Shaq had the negotiating position. Can you imagine if he refused to sign because of a team option that Miami demanded be put in there? The fans would have burned down the arena. Miami is pretty much stuck with him for the next 2.5 seasons.

Armando
01-05-2008, 11:26 AM
Shaq had the negotiating position. Can you imagine if he refused to sign because of a team option that Miami demanded be put in there? The fans would have burned down the arena. Miami is pretty much stuck with him for the next 2.5 seasons.

Yeah but how many teams that season had the cap room or were going to make a play for Shaq? I don't think Miami had any serious threat from another team to sign Shaq. I doubt Shaq was going to spurn the Heat and go to Atlanta over a team option.

samikeyp
01-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Sadly no...he will squeeze every last dollar out of anyone who will pay him.

exstatic
01-05-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah but how many teams that season had the cap room or were going to make a play for Shaq? I don't think Miami had any serious threat from another team to sign Shaq. I doubt Shaq was going to spurn the Heat and go to Atlanta over a team option.
I'm not disagreeing that Miami was stupid, there's just nothing to be done about the current state of their cap. They're stuck with the Fat Man until his contract expires, unless someone trades for him in the summer of 2009 to clear capspace for 2010.

JamStone
01-05-2008, 11:32 AM

Shaq had already compromised because he wanted 4 years at $25 million per year. He agreed to the fifth year because it still meant a $100 million contract at a slightly reduced per year rate. There's no way he was going to agree to a team option where he wouldn't get the full $100 million. It wasn't about him going to Atlanta. He was still in the power position.

Armando
01-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not disagreeing that Miami was stupid, there's just nothing to be done about the current state of their cap. They're stuck with the Fat Man until his contract expires, unless someone trades for him in the summer of 2009 to clear capspace for 2010.

It is sad to see Shaq's career end like this. He does not seem to get the idea the game has past him by. I thought Miami was better with Mourning in the games.

Armando
01-05-2008, 11:38 AM
But is always easy in hindsight to say this.

m33p0
01-05-2008, 11:54 AM
the man has too much pride to go out with a whimper (which is what his exit will be no matter what). i'd say yes. but then again, looking at my vBookie Cash, my predicting abilities doesn't really amount to anything.

Armando
01-05-2008, 11:56 AM
He was saying early this week that the Heat will get in as the 8th seed and beat Boston in the 1st round.

bdubya
01-05-2008, 02:32 PM
He's not about to retire. But the truth is, LAST year was his last season.

exstatic
01-05-2008, 02:38 PM
+1

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 02:39 PM
+2

VaSpursFan
01-05-2008, 02:43 PM
his ego keeps him around for the next 2 years...but his performance on the court will continue to be abysmal

itzsoweezee
01-05-2008, 04:25 PM
i love it. the same guy that talked shit about other washed up centers playing past their prime is doing the same thing. i want him to become a laughing stock. a novelty. a 350 pound freak who people pay money to see, try to play basketball.

dbreiden83080
01-05-2008, 11:47 PM
If it was just about Pride it would be his last season because he has to know he has nothing at all left he and the Heat could not be more done. He will be back for the money though, the Heat may try to buy him out this summer.

daslicer
01-06-2008, 12:20 AM
The sad thing about him is that he actually still believes he's the best bigman in the league. I was a reading a dime magazine interview a few days in which he stated he was still the most dominant bigman in the league. The guy has always had a huge ego and its his ego that will kill him in the end. I can only imagine a year from now his teamates won't take him seriously when he's 450 pounds and getting 5 and 5. Shaq in a year or so will be on the same level as a scrub like Diop or possibly worse.

Armando
01-06-2008, 01:00 AM
The sad thing about him is that he actually still believes he's the best bigman in the league. I was a reading a dime magazine interview a few days in which he stated he was still the most dominant bigman in the league. The guy has always had a huge ego and its his ego that will kill him in the end. I can only imagine a year from now his teamates won't take him seriously when he's 450 pounds and getting 5 and 5. Shaq in a year or so will be on the same level as a scrub like Diop or possibly worse.

Teams don't even bother double team him anymore. Thats how far he has fallen. Teams now double Wade and let the defender go 1 on 1 with Shaq.

Kobulingam
01-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Believe it or not guys, but Riley was willing and ready to give Shaq a 5 year, 125 million (25 per) contract. Shaq took a 5 per year paycut to give Riley flexibility to build the team.

howbouthemspurs
01-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Shaq sux

baller12
04-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Well it is about time he is almost catching up to bret farve not in age but in experience

alamo50
04-10-2008, 05:00 PM
3 more years.

Jack Sommersset
04-10-2008, 05:23 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!! Money plus he looks like he enjoys playing with the Suns. Amare and Nash. Why wouldn't he love it.

I wonder if Armando knows Shaq Daddyy plays for the Suns nows.