PDA

View Full Version : Tom Brady Named 2007 NFL MVP

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Patriots QB Tom Brady rides records to MVP award
The Associated Press Published:
January 5, 2008

NEW YORK: Add Most Valuable Player to all the other accolades Tom Brady has been collecting.

The New England Patriots' record-setting quarterback drew all but one vote Saturday in romping to The Associated Press 2007 NFL MVP award in the same manner his team romped through its schedule, going 16-0. On the way to the first unbeaten regular season since Miami went 14-0 in 1972, Brady put on a performance for the ages.

The eight-year veteran who already has won three Super Bowls helped the Patriots tear through the record books by throwing for 50 touchdowns. He beat Peyton Manning's league mark by one, and also threw 23 of those TD passes to Randy Moss, which lifted the receiver past Jerry Rice's record of 22.

New England scored 589 points, another record, as was the Patriots' 75 touchdowns. Brady led the NFL with a 117.2 passer rating — no, not another record, but close to Manning's 121.1 in 2004. Only one full-time AFC starter, Jacksonville's David Garrard, had fewer than Brady's eight interceptions. And Brady threw 253 more passes than Garrard.

Brady also was tops with a 68.9 completion percentage, and his 4,806 yards were 383 more than runner-up Drew Brees of New Orleans.

The team declined to make Brady available for comment on the award. But there was plenty of praise to go around from teammates and Patriots owner Robert Kraft.

"To be honest, I'm surprised it took so long for him to get this recognition because he's sort of been our MVP since he stepped on the field in '01, in my mind, and the way he just took over," Kraft said. "He treats everyone in that locker room the same way he treats me or the coaches.

"And the thing that I've found most interesting is if you talk to role players or backups how he talks to them and motivates them. He treats them like they're going to the Pro Bowl, with that kind of respect."

Added Mike Vrabel, who has gone from a role player to a Pro Bowl linebacker over the years:

"He's our MVP. I think we've known that for quite some time. "I think his work ethic day in and day out (is most impressive). We get to practice against him so I think that makes us better. I think it makes us a better defense. He puts a lot of time into it. It's important to him. Going out there every week and then trying to play his absolute best is a priority for him."

Brady is the first Patriot selected NFL MVP. He drew 49 of the 50 votes from a nationwide panel of media members who regularly cover the NFL. Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre, the only three-time MVP, got the other vote.

Only in one game, a 20-10 win over the Jets, did Brady not throw for a touchdown. He had 12 games with at least three TD passes.

Those are great stats, but they hardly tell the entire story. Brady's leadership skills overshadow just about everything.

"Tom's one of those guys that goes out there and tries to perform and compete every week," center Dan Koppen said. "He gives maximum effort on every play and every game. What he did was outstanding, but I know he wants more than that. That's what you need in your quarterback."

The last two MVP awards went to running backs LaDainian Tomlinson (2006) and Shaun Alexander (2005). Before that, quarterbacks won four in a row: Peyton Manning in 2004 and in 2003, when he shared it with Steve McNair; Rich Gannon in 2002; and Kurt Warner in 2001.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/01/05/sports/FBN-NFL-MVP.php

Steve Irwin
01-05-2008, 02:20 PM
What A Surprise

J.T.
01-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Daunte Culpepper's elite resume of suckness in his post-Moss career should have indefinitely blocked Brady from this award and assured it went to Moss. Bad move. :td

mikejones99
01-05-2008, 06:39 PM
AFC cha mpionship NE Patriots 33 Colts 13

monosylab1k
01-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Tom Brady should have won MVP last year for leading an offense with Reche Caldwell & Doug Gabriel to a 12-4 record and then the AFC Championship Game.

KidCongo
01-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Record Breaking MVP's don't win Superbowls...

Slinkyman
01-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Record Breaking MVP's don't win Superbowls...

Doesn't he already have 3? :lol

J.T.
01-05-2008, 10:21 PM
This is kryptonite for the Patriots since they have continually been the team to eliminate teams with the MVP from the playoffs. Now that he is on their team, they will eliminate themselves with a massive choke against Indy.

J.T.
01-05-2008, 10:22 PM
AFC cha mpionship NE Patriots 33 Colts 13

goddam pats fan hate the great Indianapolis Colts

KidCongo
01-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Doesn't he already have 3? :lol

ment in the same year

bostonguy
01-05-2008, 11:27 PM
best qb of all time...Tom Brady.

Vinny Del Negro
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
The guy who voted for Favre is probably the same douche that didn't vote for Shaq in 2000. Trying to be special via fucking up an obvious unanimous vote. D-bag.

KidCongo
01-06-2008, 01:09 AM
D-bag.

like u

ducks
01-07-2008, 09:29 AM
he was clearly not the mvp this year
if you take other players off of other teams they are more important then brady

it will be funny if he loses in his first game like dirk did

san antonio spurs
01-07-2008, 03:23 PM
he was clearly not the mvp this year
if you take other players off of other teams they are more important then brady

it will be funny if he loses in his first game like dirk did
He's not Manning.
Choking isn't in his DNA

J.T.
01-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Fuck Tom Brady and his illegitimate TD record.

J.T.
01-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Fuck Tom Brady and his illegitimate TD record.

I meant illegitimate son, my bad. Honest mistake.

FromWayDowntown
01-07-2008, 03:36 PM
goddam pats fan hate the great Indianapolis Colts

et tu, J.T.?

By the way, saying the Pats will choke against Indy says outright that you believe the Pats to be the better team -- it would be an odd prediction to say that an inferior team would lose because it choked.

J.T.
01-07-2008, 03:40 PM
et tu, J.T.?

By the way, saying the Pats will choke against Indy says outright that you believe the Pats to be the better team -- it would be an odd prediction to say that an inferior team would lose because it choked.

16-0 > 13-3 last I checked.

san antonio spurs
01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
I meant illegitimate son, my bad. Honest mistake.
I know that you are 21 and all, but aren't you a lil bit older for those remarks?

FromWayDowntown
01-07-2008, 04:13 PM
16-0 > 13-3 last I checked.

Right, but you seem to suggest elsewhere that you believe the Colts are better. If that's true, I'm not sure why you're hiding behind records to call the Patriots' demise at the hands of the Colts, if it happens, a choke.

It just would seem to me that you'd want to characterize that differently.

Interesting also that you call out Pats fans for hating the Colts but seem to have no problem with anyone hating the Pats.

J.T.
01-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Right, but you seem to suggest elsewhere that you believe the Colts are better. If that's true, I'm not sure why you're hiding behind records to call the Patriots' demise at the hands of the Colts, if it happens, a choke.

It just would seem to me that you'd want to characterize that differently.

Interesting also that you call out Pats fans for hating the Colts but seem to have no problem with anyone hating the Pats.

Well, with all the media love the Pats have been getting if they lose to the Colts, everyone will say they choked and give the Colts little credit. I don't see what makes me any different. Of course I think my team is better. We handled them for most of the game and had some lapses at the end of the game that I don't think will happen the second time around, and I don't think they would have meant anything if Marvin played and/or Gonzalez and Clark didn't get hurt during the course of the game.

But yeah I have my excuses. Sue me for hating the Pats like the rest of America and thinking my team has a good shot at knocking them off their cloud.

Jessica Simpson
01-07-2008, 05:42 PM
My Tony should have won the Mp3! He is way cuter!

monosylab1k
01-07-2008, 05:50 PM
We handled them for most of the game and had some lapses at the end of the game that I don't think will happen the second time around, and I don't think they would have meant anything if Marvin played and/or Gonzalez and Clark didn't get hurt during the course of the game.
I could say the same thing about last year's Championship Game. We handled the Colts for most of the game and had some lapses at the end of the game that wouldn't have happened if Rodney Harrison had played and Rosevelt Colvin hadn't gotten hurt.

But that would just be an excuse.

FromWayDowntown
01-07-2008, 06:01 PM
I'm not sure I'd say that the Colts "handled" New England for most of that game -- I think I'd say that the Colts made a couple of big plays (mostly Addai's touchdown right before halftime) and managed to hang in there with the Patriots.

ploto
01-13-2008, 09:51 AM
You have to love the game he played against Jacksonville- or you don't love football.