PDA

View Full Version : Trade Rumors that could affect Spurs

bigfundamental21
01-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Check out what Marty Burns is saying about a possible Mavs trade for Kidd.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/01/04/mavs.notes/index.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/01/04/mavs.notes/index.html)

Evaluating period

Stand pat? Pursue Kidd? Mavs are weighing options

Posted: Friday January 4, 2008 2:27PM; Updated: Friday January 4, 2008 2:52PM

Last summer's Kevin Garnett trade might not be the only blockbuster deal that could affect who plays in the 2008 NBA Finals. If Jason Kidd winds up getting traded, it could provide a similar jolt in the West. Especially if he ends up in Dallas.
The Mavs have always been aggressive when it comes to personnel decisions. They know they are contenders for the NBA title, but they also know the Spurs are still the team to beat. That's why owner Mark Cuban, general manager Donnie Nelson and coach Avery Johnson will be watching closely over the next few weeks to see if they should make a serious bid for Kidd.

"My response to [the Kidd trade rumors] is that we like our team," Nelson told SI.com.

"We're not afraid to make [a trade] if we feel it can take us to a different place ... but we're not so sure we don't already have the pieces."

Nelson's stance is revealing because the Mavs are considered by many around the league to be the most likely destination for Kidd, should the Nets decide to trade the perennial All-Star. The Lakers and Cavaliers also have been mentioned prominently, but neither appears to have the right combination of players that would interest New Jersey. Dallas could offer a package that includes a rising star in Devin Harris, along with a shooter like Jason Terry or Jerry Stackhouse, a decent big man with an expiring contract in DeSagana Diop and a future first-round draft pick.

The question for the Mavs is, Do they want to risk breaking up part of their core for the 34-year-old Kidd? Dallas has been a tough team to get a read on this season. The Mavs already have 11 losses, compared to 15 all of last season, yet for the most part they have played well against the league's elite.

Are they just pacing themselves this time around? Or is there a fundamental flaw in their makeup that will prevent them from ever winning a title? And would a hard-nosed defender and playmaker like Kidd be enough to put them over the top?

"Where we sit right now, we're all looking up at San Antonio," Nelson admitted. "We have to see what we have before we make a knee-jerk decision or reaction.

"We feel we're in a good place. Historically, we've never been afraid to make that kind of decision. But we just want to make them for known reasons."

itzsoweezee
01-05-2008, 04:13 PM
if that's all they have to give up, dallas would be stupid not to do that trade.

SouthernFried
01-05-2008, 04:33 PM
One of Dallas best attributes, is their quickness. They'd lose that with Kidd.

One of their worst attributes, is team play...they'd gain that with Kidd.

If I was Parker, I know who'd I'd rather guard. Bring on Kidd.

I don't like Dallas. Not because they could contend...because they are a team of punks. Kidd could change a lot of that. But, I personally feel he would hurt their playoff chances rather than help them.

So, I would like Dallas a lot better with Kidd, and they wouldn't be as competitive (imho) either.

I can live with that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-05-2008, 04:55 PM
Please do this trade. The Mavs would go from having someone who could stay in front of Parker in Harris to having someone playing point who has been abused by Parker for the last several years in Kidd.

And Diop has actually had some decent stretches defending Duncan in the past, it would be even better if they sent him out as well.

T Park
01-05-2008, 04:58 PM
If the mavericks traded Terry and Harris for Kidd.

That personally would get rid of alot of the advantage that dallas has over SA.

I root for this trade to happen honestly.

theroc5
01-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Yep so would I. I dont see how Kidd would help them much.

SenorSpur
01-05-2008, 05:52 PM

I agree. Kidd is a great player, but has no championship pedigree. He'd be an instant "step-up". He'd create offense for the Mavs both in transition and the half-court for them, which they absolutely DO NOT have now. He'd make them appreciably better, but I don't think he allows them to match up as well with the Spurs as they do now.

Devin Harris is much more of a threat to Tony Parker and the Spurs than Kidd is. However in the long run, Dallas would be worse off with Kidd because their window of opportunity would be significantly shortened. I guess it depends on how desparate they really are. Either way, I say bring him on.

remingtonbo2001
01-05-2008, 06:07 PM
I think Dallas is trying to make up for botching on the Steve Nash situation a few years back. They have seen the results of youth without adaquete leadership. I think they expected Dirk to really fill that leadership void, and maybe some vetern leadership to rub off from Finley. They should've never gotten rid of Nash. Had they kept him I believe Dallas might have won in 2006.

ludda
01-05-2008, 06:49 PM
I think that a Harris + whatever trade for Kidd would be in our advantage, but on the whole would make the Mavs better. (Depends though on the whole package for Kidd)

Kidd has amazing court vision and would create easy buckets, something the Mavs lack and Harris is quick, but like most of the team not a very smart player.

But the window would also be smaller (if not already quite small) for a ring, though at the same time, you don't know how long Nowitzki will be effective (already a decline this regular season)...

DazedAndConfused
01-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Dallas needs a damn interior threat. Get a two-way Center and there is nobody in the league that could stop a fully healthy Mavs squad. Why they have stuck with Diop and Dampier for so long is beyond me..........

VaSpursFan
01-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Dallas needs a damn interior threat. Get a two-way Center and there is nobody in the league that could stop a fully healthy Mavs squad. Why they have stuck with Diop and Dampier for so long is beyond me..........

i agree...Dallas would be a nightmare if they had a legit low post presence.

KidCongo
01-05-2008, 08:58 PM
lol kidd is 2 points off a tripledouble almost at end of 3rd.

itzsoweezee
01-05-2008, 09:07 PM

but somehow, according to the people on here, devin harris is some kind of stud not worth giving up for the second best point guard in the league. the idiocy never ceases to amaze me.

tp2021
01-05-2008, 11:43 PM
as a spurs fan, i would welcome the trade b/c we would match up better with the mavs as a result. but, i will admit that i love jason kidd, and as a j. kidd fan, i dont want him to be a mav. i cant like a maverick! but i cant hate j. kidd either...

m33p0
01-06-2008, 02:21 AM
he wouldn't be having triple doubles if his inept frontcourt would just rebound the balls they're supposed to rebound in the first place.

peskypesky
01-06-2008, 02:40 AM
Jason Kidd as a Mav almost scares me. OK, it kinda does scare me. He's one of the best point guards to ever play the game and he's putting up as good numbers as he ever has. Anyone who doesn't think he presents a bigger threat than Devon Harris is a fool. Sure, Harris is quick, but who worries you more on the Suns, Barbosa or Nash?

DazedAndConfused
01-06-2008, 02:58 AM
I don't know how many more years Nash has on his contract but he did state in the press that he wouldn't mind going back to Texas (most likely to the Mavs). That would make things interesting if he could still play at a high level.

T Park
01-06-2008, 03:16 AM
Jason Kidd is a fantastic player don't get me wrong.

But its all about the matchups between Dallas and san Antonio.

If they trade, Harris, Terry, and Diop or whatever, for Kidd, look at the how the advantage swings the Spurs way.

Bowen focuses totally on shutting down howard, and not switching between him, and Nowitzki, and Terry.

Terry is someone who MURDERED the Spurs in 06.

Honestly, if they get rid of Harris AND Terry, that swings the momentum BACK to the Spurs, AND, give a series to the Spurs.

Budkin
01-06-2008, 03:31 AM
I so want this trade to go down. Terry and Harris are the biggest Spur killers on the team and Harris always plays well against Parker. Additionally, I think Diop defends Timmy better than anyone else in the league.