PDA

View Full Version : Is it me or Duncan is attempting more J's?

urunobili
01-05-2008, 09:10 PM
I actually like that...

The dominant 2002-2003 MVP used to hit that jumper with regularity and actually won several games at the buzzer in that season...

I think he is working on it so come playoff time will be a recovered part of his arsenal...

What y'all think?

:makemyday

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 09:16 PM
03-04 Mvp?

m33p0
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
i love it. as longtime duncan observers know, his jumper sets up the drive. triple-threat!!!
:cheer :cheer :cheer

KidCongo
01-05-2008, 09:22 PM
He's just shooting some shots to me

duncan228
01-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Duncan's regular season MVP's were in the 2001-2002 and 2002-2003 seasons.
His Finals MVP's were in 1999, 2003, and 2005.

urunobili
01-05-2008, 09:50 PM
sorry guys... i dunno what i was thinking i was referring to the 03 championship campaign... :depressed

duncan228
01-05-2008, 09:52 PM
sorry guys... i dunno what i was thinking i was referring to the 03 championship campaign... :depressed

It's okay.
The man has so much hardware it's hard to keep track of it all. :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Looking at his shooting chart, here:

http://icq.nba.com/hotspots/

you don't want Tim doing anything except shooting close to the basketball, or from the right high post. And if you check out 2006-7, it is the same!

Tim's jumper is not what it used to be, far more streaky. I think that has to do with his legs which don't have much lift any more..

Stick to drop-steps, spins, hooks and the odd banker, I say... oh, and bring back your left hand, please. :lol

S4Spur21
01-05-2008, 09:56 PM
How about some more dunks!

http://blogs.sltrib.com/trent/uploaded_images/jazz4501.JPG

Eh, 2 pts is 2 pts.

Solid D
01-05-2008, 09:58 PM
Is it me or Duncan is attempting more J's?

I haven't seen you attempting shots so I can't really compare you with Duncan.

m33p0
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
face up spin moves from 12 feet please.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2008, 10:28 PM
face up spin moves from 12 feet please.

You obviously never played the post. Spin moves are impossible face-up, you have to have your back to the basket.

I am a back-to-the-basket centre with good footwork derived from mimicing Hakeem and Tim, I know these things.

urunobili
01-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I haven't seen you attempting shots so I can't really compare you with Duncan.
i think you are smart enough to realize that "is it me" reefers to my opinion...

urunobili
01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
03-04 Mvp?
Fixed

Solid D
01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
i think you are smart enough to realize that "is it me" reefers to my opinion...

Just playin' with you. Moving "is" in front of "Duncan" would give me less of a opportunity to play around with the words. :)

SouthernFried
01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
You obviously never played the post. Spin moves are impossible face-up, you have to have your back to the basket.

I am a back-to-the-basket centre with good footwork derived from mimicing Hakeem and Tim, I know these things.

Gee, don't tell Parker he can't do a spin move facing a guy.

Tuffer for big guys to do a 360 spin facing a guy, easier to do a 180 with the guy on your back...but, impossible? Uh, I don't think so.

Timmy often faces up guys with a dribble. You don't have to have a guy on your back to play post, or to spin around them. If a big guy can dribble, he can do a 360 spin around someone in the post area.

Still, it's prolly something most big guys can't do, and more fundamental for them to try it with a guy on their back.

Oh yea, and it does seem like Duncan is trying to get the bank back in the bank. Mebbe it was just because that Knicks center was 10,000 lbs and he couldn't move him. Still, it's a great shot to have against 10,000 lb guys you can't move :)

ehz33satx
01-06-2008, 12:13 AM
I think the Spurs took way too many jump shots in this past game against the Knicks. They need to attack the basket with more regularity. Tony needs to use his speed to get to the basket and get a few more and 1's. I was screaming at the tv all night for them to attack the basket. The Spurs should have blown the Knicks away but nearly lost to them in the last few minutes of the game. It was mind numbing.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-06-2008, 12:16 AM
I think the Spurs took way too many jump shots in this past game against the Knicks. They need to attack the basket with more regularity. Tony needs to use his speed to get to the basket and get a few more and 1's. I was screaming at the tv all night for them to attack the basket. The Spurs should have blown the Knicks away but nearly lost to them in the last few minutes of the game. It was mind numbing.
I was angered somewhat when Duncan wouldn't drive it in, but Tony was sick and was tired so I don't blame him.

SenorSpur
01-06-2008, 01:54 AM
I simply want Duncan to do two things:

Stop bringing the ball down to his waist and allowing smaller guys to swipe at it
Stop clumsily dribbling across the lane and throwing up that off-balance, one-handed, fall away.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2008, 01:59 AM
Stop bringing the ball down to his waist and allowing smaller guys to swipe at it.

This was a big problem Duncan had early in his career, he would always swing it down low and get it poked away. Sometimes he falls into a period where he does it regularly again (like now). I don't know if it's when he loses focus, is tired, or what, but it's very frustrating to watch. When he was younger, I used to always yell at the screen about it.

ehz33satx
01-06-2008, 02:15 AM
I also did not like when they would walk the ball back up court. No running at all.
The Knicks had like 35 points in the paint compared to the Spurs 6 or 7 points in the paint. It was terrible to watch. At least we still won, barely. Against one of the worst teams in the league. The most exciting part was when Horry passed the ball up court to a wide open Finley for a lay in. Michael Finley has been kicking ass! One of the only bright spots lately. I can't wait for Manu and Barry to come back from injury.

SouthernFried
01-06-2008, 04:00 AM
Yeah, we're in that either-layup-or-3-pointer period of previous Spurs teams again. No middle game, cuz everyone's standing around the 3 point line waiting for Parker to drive it for a layup, or dish it to them for a 3 pointer.

I really dislike that type of game. Parker must be thinking..."christ guys, do something...don't make me drive it every fucking time."

Nobody but Finley has any type of middle game. Manu will be a big help for Tony, giving them someone else who actually drive the ball to the hoop and lay it up or dish it. Another Playmaker, cuz Vaughn aint one. Barry should help some with this too.

It'll come together.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-06-2008, 04:03 AM
Gee, don't tell Parker he can't do a spin move facing a guy.

Tuffer for big guys to do a 360 spin facing a guy, easier to do a 180 with the guy on your back...but, impossible? Uh, I don't think so.

Timmy often faces up guys with a dribble. You don't have to have a guy on your back to play post, or to spin around them. If a big guy can dribble, he can do a 360 spin around someone in the post area.

Still, it's prolly something most big guys can't do, and more fundamental for them to try it with a guy on their back.

Oh yea, and it does seem like Duncan is trying to get the bank back in the bank. Mebbe it was just because that Knicks center was 10,000 lbs and he couldn't move him. Still, it's a great shot to have against 10,000 lb guys you can't move :)

Admittedly, Tony and other guards do have a 360-spin move when at pace, and occasionally Tim breaks one out from the left 45 if his guy lays way off him, but most of his spin moves are 180 or 270 degrees going baseline. Very few post players use a 360 spin because it's something you can really only do while moving forward at speed. I should have been more specific, but since this thread is about Tim I wasn't really considering guards in what I wrote.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 04:31 AM

you're an idiot. does a 12 foot face up look like anything done at the low post? haven't you seen a duncan spin move facing the basket? go see one. you'd love it. actually, looks more like from 15 feet. he usually dribbles between his legs when setting that move up. last time i saw it was either in november or early december this season.

its an old example but it will do for the purposes of this demonstration.
"spin move facing up 14 feet away from the rim" at the 1:09 mark. watch the dribbling skills.
-hMS2xpant0

and haters say he's boring. sheesh.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-06-2008, 05:44 AM
Read the post directly above yours.

As for the low post area, I'd consider that it ranges out to about 12 ft. Depending on who is on you, and thus the way you want to play them, as a low post player you may want deep or mid position, but I still consider both the post. 15ft is no longer the post (or straight out it's the high post).

I know the move, he used to pull it out all the time when he had his athleticism, but he hardly ever breaks it out now because: a) his defender has to be slower than him for it to work, and, b) Tim's quickness is sadly largely gone.

So calling for him to go back to it is unadvisable. He gets away with it once in a while, but it'll never be a go to move for him again.

In no way am I a Tim hater, and don't call me an idiot so quickly next time. I wish Tim's game was as beautiful as it once was, but he gets it done in a much more grounded fashion these days. His jumper is streaky, so I hate to see him rely on it, but he will do moreso as he ages.

As I said nearer the top of the thread, I just wish he'd bring back his left hand as it would stop him missing so many layups and putbacks on the left block, and getting blocked on his hook drive into the middle from the right post (that should be a left baby hook, and he used to have one).

m33p0
01-06-2008, 06:02 AM
Read the post directly above yours.

As for the low post area, I'd consider that it ranges out to about 12 ft. Depending on who is on you, and thus the way you want to play them, as a low post player you may want deep or mid position, but I still consider both the post. 15ft is no longer the post (or straight out it's the high post).

I know the move, he used to pull it out all the time when he had his athleticism, but he hardly ever breaks it out now because: a) his defender has to be slower than him for it to work, and, b) Tim's quickness is sadly largely gone.

So calling for him to go back to it is unadvisable. He gets away with it once in a while, but it'll never be a go to move for him again.

In now way am I a Tim hater, and don't call me an idiot so quickly next time. I wish Tim's game was as beautiful as it once was, but he gets it done in a much more grounded fashion these days.

okay. peace. i did see him pull off the move last november (or was it december, might even be the portland game). he still gets away with it especially against young guys. the older generation already knows the move.

the hater tag is for those outside the site (like they'd be able to read this, duh). i'm just sick and tired of all the boring tag they put on duncan.

urunobili
01-06-2008, 08:38 AM
i watched the 2002-2003 DVD yesterday night after i posted this thread.. his turnaround Jumper looked INCREDIBLY effective back then...

SouthernFried
01-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Man...that's a sick Video!!!

Tim's a Monster.

Sometimes I forget

m33p0
01-06-2008, 10:09 AM
i watched the 2002-2003 DVD yesterday night after i posted this thread.. his turnaround Jumper looked INCREDIBLY effective back then...
effective? he sent karl malone to his summer vacation with that shot! packed his bags for him, too! :lmao

Supreme_Being
01-06-2008, 11:01 AM

You can never be more informed than Duncan228. Never.

urunobili
01-06-2008, 11:39 AM
well... i was actually more looking to get her opinion on the topic but it seems my mistakes with the dates scared her away :depressed

duncan228
01-06-2008, 03:09 PM

Only about Duncan.
I claim no basketball knowledge anywhere near some of the posters on this board. I love this game, I've been an NBA fan since Larry Bird's rookie season, but I continue to learn from the high basketball IQ people here on ST.

But as far as Duncan is concerned I don't think there's much I don't know.

boutons_
01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
"karl malone"

... sent Tim fishing by playing him really tough in the 04 playoffs, often pushing him way out on the wing where Tim played statue of liberty and was reduced to taking bank shots, which he didn't hit with any effectiveness.

Pretty much the way the Denver bigs abused Tim a couple nights ago.

duncan228
01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
well... i was actually more looking to get her opinion on the topic but it seems my mistakes with the dates scared her away :depressed

You didn't scare me away! :lol

I think Duncan's game has adjusted as he has matured. He never had a great outside game but he could hit those jumpers regularly enough that opposing teams had to come out to guard him.

His post game is what always impressed me. His footwork, his ability to block out, his rebounding on both ends of the court.

His bank shot has always been a favorite of mine, but in these last couple of seasons it seems to run hot and cold. I have faith it will be there steady for the Playoffs.

As this team has been built around him he is now able to adjust his game based on the opponent and what his own teammates are doing. His incredible knack for passing out of double and even triple teams and hit the open man is wonderful to watch.

I think some of the higher turnover numbers we're seeing are due to the other teams focus on him and parts of his game being predictable. By going out and putting up a few jumpers, (if he makes them), it throws the defense off a little. His ability to mix it up serves him, and his team, well.

Duncan was more athletic in his younger days but his game never depended on that. His game is intelligent. His basketball IQ off the charts. He does what he needs to for his team to win. And he's got the hardware to prove it.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 07:10 PM
"karl malone"

... sent Tim fishing by playing him really tough in the 04 playoffs, often pushing him way out on the wing where Tim played statue of liberty and was reduced to taking bank shots, which he didn't hit with any effectiveness.

Pretty much the way the Denver bigs abused Tim a couple nights ago.

yeah, but.... but....

okay, no comeback from me except this...

kWqwvE5KVW8

and this....
3IT2j-RamsU

one4all
01-07-2008, 06:57 AM
I think he should try more. At times. He should gain more confidence in that dept as well. Sometimes he hesitates a lot even when he is wide open.

I still remember his sweet jump shot from the corner at 2005 Game 7 in the 4th or 3rd quarter....