PDA

View Full Version : The NBA's Most Dynamic Trios

duncan228
01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/hawks/stories/2008/01/05/nbainsider_0106.html

Boston's group tops trio charts

By Sekou Smith
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Fans in Boston have been working overtime for an appropriate nickname for the three stars — Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen — that have helped transform the fortunes of the franchise this season.

"The Boston Three Party" is a bit clunky but scores points for historical perspective.

And Boston's Big Three has shot up the charts this season, crashing the party on our list of the NBA's most dynamic trios (and the emphasis here is on the bottom line and not just the stat line):

1. Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen — Boston

Don't worry about their statistical impact, individually or combined. The impact of these three All-Stars begins and ends in the won-loss column. The Celtics' league-leading 27-3 record is all that should matter. But in case you want to nitpick about each man's individual contributions, just know that all three of them average better than 19 points per game and no other player on the roster averages more than 9.6. Rajon Rondo would be the Celtics' Ringo Starr. The rest of the supporting cast will need to either be upgraded or play above their pay grade come playoff time. But with the Big Three leading the way, the possibilities are endless.

2. Chris Paul, David West and Tyson Chandler — New Orleans

These upstarts are not only making noise here, but they're also causing a major ruckus in the Western Conference standings (21-11) and Southwest Division race. With Paul running the show, West as his go-to-scorer inside and Chandler cleaning the glass, blocking shots and defending the paint, the Hornets are poised to continue this surge deep into the postseason. If Peja Stojakovic can find the consistency on his jump shot and Paul makes it through the season without any significant injury, Byron Scott's crew could make some serious noise in the postseason.

3. Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace — Detroit

If we were working with four man units the Pistons would shoot to the top, with Tayshaun Prince being the fourth Musketeer. Truth be told, you could sub him in for any one of the three players on this list and that trio would still rank among the league's very best. Billups is the director and big shot maker when the Pistons (25-7) need a bucket. Hamilton is the No. 1 option and the player most likely to score 20 on you. But Wallace, just as he did when he helped the Pistons to the 2004 NBA title, is the player that brings it all together for Flip Saunders' team on both ends of the floor.

• Three more sets of terrific NBA trios:

1. Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion — Phoenix

These guys do it, and do it big, every night. Now if they could just do it in the playoffs. (:lol)

2. Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Howard and Jason Terry — Dallas

They're still one of the most explosive scoring trios, even with Terry coming off the bench.

3. Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili — San Antonio

They've spoiled NBA fans around the globe with their steady and (minus Duncan) spectacular play, especially during the playoffs.

• And another three to complete the triple play:

1. Allen Iverson, Carmelo Anthony and Marcus Camby — Denver

It's hard to tell which player deserves top billing in this group, Iverson or Anthony, but Camby has earned his tag as the grunt of this group.

2. Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu — Orlando

Howard and Lewis are supposed to be All-Stars. But have you seen Turkoglu's late-game heroics lately? He's been off the charts.

3. Jason Kidd, Richard Jefferson and Vince Carter — New Jersey

This crew might be a bit past their prime, everyone but Jefferson, but they're still as dangerous as any trio here when they're playing their best.

m33p0
01-05-2008, 09:25 PM
so, duncan, manu and tony relegated to also-rans.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
ROFL What a bullshit list.
Paul, West, and Chandler better than Tim, Tony, and Manu?
Shenanigans.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2008, 09:41 PM
so, duncan, manu and tony relegated to also-rans.

That's what I thought.

The order should be Spurs, then Pistons (since both have won championships), then Celtics and on down the list.

m33p0
01-05-2008, 09:46 PM
sheed doesn't agree either

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2088/2168562983_371f1b734c_o.jpg

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-05-2008, 09:57 PM
sheed doesn't agree either

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2088/2168562983_371f1b734c_o.jpg
:lmao

duncan228
01-05-2008, 10:00 PM
I almost posted this in NBA Central because our big three were so far down the list.
I guess the dependable, predictable, winning ways of our big three just doesn't rank up there anymore.
He does call our play "steady and spectacular," but "minus Duncan." Maybe we lose points because Duncan isn't flashy! :lol

m33p0
01-05-2008, 10:05 PM
I almost posted this in NBA Central because our big three were so far down the list.
I guess the dependable, predictable, winning ways of our big three just doesn't rank up there anymore.
He does call our play "steady and spectacular," but "minus Duncan." Maybe we lose points because Duncan isn't flashy! :lol
damn... trade duncan now! we need to be number 1 on all opinions! fuck the championships! its what people think that matters!

oh, wait. news is from from atlanta. never mind. screw them.

resistanze
01-05-2008, 10:09 PM
2. Chris Paul, David West and Tyson Chandler — New Orleans

:lol

SpursDynasty
01-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Dirk, Howard, and Terry are NOT a trio by a "big three" NBA definition.

Howard and Terry are pretenders. For them to be a big three, each one individually has to be able to take over a game on their own...Howard and Terry don't individually take over games. They just throw up jumpers at the right times.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-05-2008, 10:15 PM
New Orleans trio over the Spurs trio (and for the matter, TD, Tony, and Manu come in at #6)?

It must be all those world championship banners hanging in the rafters down in New Orleans :lol

What a fucking idiot. Boston gets it for their W-L record, but the Spurs crew doesn't get any love despite having multiple rings? What the hell is in the water down in Atlanta?

Vinny Del Negro
01-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Me, my beer and my remote >>>>>>>>> Carter, Kidd and Jeff

m33p0
01-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Me, my beer and my remote >>>>>>>>> Carter, Kidd and Jeff
my right index finger + my left mouse clicker >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Carter, Kidd and Jeff

greens
01-05-2008, 11:09 PM
So between Tim/Manu/Tony, that's 3 championships(TD 4)...yet, they are way down on the list...wow...basically almost an after thought...

ludda
01-05-2008, 11:10 PM
the criteria is obviously not based on capability of winning rings.

I liked the dig at the Suns though.

mavs>spurs2
01-05-2008, 11:16 PM
Dirk, Howard, and Terry are NOT a trio by a "big three" NBA definition.

Howard and Terry are pretenders. For them to be a big three, each one individually has to be able to take over a game on their own...Howard and Terry don't individually take over games. They just throw up jumpers at the right times.

Howard, Terry >> Manu, Parker

SouthernFried
01-05-2008, 11:19 PM
It's the fucking media, whadya expect? Boston is all the new rage! Next year somebody else.

They don't live anywhere near San Antonio, and mebbe have visited once in their lives. They are who they are.

"Oh, yeah...we can't forget San Antonio and all those rings. They're pretty good too."

and so it goes...

himat
01-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Dumb list.

Spurs should be first

NO has no business to even be in the top 3

Detroit does not have a trio they might be on the list for the top 4 or 5.

m33p0
01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
http://www.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/1/12/O_RLY.jpg

last matchup
manu >>>>>>>>>>>>mavs

urunobili
01-05-2008, 11:37 PM
at what? Poker? Choking?

ludda
01-05-2008, 11:41 PM
he's just giving shit to Spurs Dynasty...no one can truly be that dumb.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/36/LarryOBrienTrophies.jpg/800px-LarryOBrienTrophies.jpg

>

http://www.storefixtures2000.com/images/AlphaTrophyCase.jpg

fify.

mavs>spurs2
01-06-2008, 12:25 AM
***Disclaimer***

Any posts by or in response to SpursDynasty are not to be taken seriously..even if they do happen to be true in this case :smokin

m33p0
01-06-2008, 12:44 AM
***Disclaimer***

Any posts by or in response to SpursDynasty are not to be taken seriously..even if they do happen to be true in this case :smokin
oh, okey. :spin

spursfan09
01-06-2008, 01:17 AM

:rolleyes

Manu, Parker more rings>>>>> Howard, Terry

spursfan09
01-06-2008, 01:18 AM
Oh yeah and fuck that! the Spurs have own 3 of the past 5 championships. Our big 3 fucking rock!

howbouthemspurs
01-06-2008, 08:51 AM
One of the most arrogant list ever!

carina_gino20
01-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Those Spurs happen to have 10 rings between them. More than all of those on that list have combined. Great logic. :dizzy

703 Spurz
01-06-2008, 12:09 PM

:dramaquee

debo
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
(and the emphasis here is on the bottom line and not just the stat line)

if thats the case, the bottom line is that our big 3 win rings, we should be number 1

JamStone
01-06-2008, 12:52 PM
if thats the case, the bottom line is that our big 3 win rings, we should be number 1

Then Magic, Worthy, Kareem should be high on that list too.

I think the guy is talking about right now, this season.

And, look at what the Hornets are doing. It might be a little premature to place them that high, but this season, that Hornets team has played unbelievably.

spursfan09
01-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Then Magic, Worthy, Kareem should be high on that list too.

I think the guy is talking about right now, this season.

And, look at what the Hornets are doing. It might be a little premature to place them that high, but this season, that Hornets team has played unbelievably.

Even if it is this season. Spurs have a better record than Hornets. Maybe its cuase the Spurs haven't really been healthy and playing together all season. Anyways they are still too low on that list. With Tim Tony and Manu you can't lose.

1Parker1
01-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Even if I wasn't a Spurs fan...I don't think it's a question who the best trio in the NBA is. KG, Allen, and Pierce are excellment, but we're about 27 games into the regular season. I'll wait until the postseason to see what they do and surpass them to the best trio in the NBA.

freemeat
01-06-2008, 08:10 PM

Howard and Terry can't touch the six rings of Manu and Parker.

Seriously, they're not allowed.

td4mvp21
01-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Parker is definitely better than Terry. No question. Ginobili and Howard is tough. Howard is definitely the harder one to stop.

Armando
01-06-2008, 08:25 PM
PGA tour

remingtonbo2001
01-07-2008, 12:18 AM
New Orleans trio over the Spurs trio (and for the matter, TD, Tony, and Manu come in at #6)?

It must be all those world championship banners hanging in the rafters down in New Orleans :lol

What a fucking idiot. Boston gets it for their W-L record, but the Spurs crew doesn't get any love despite having multiple rings? What the hell is in the water down in Atlanta?

Maybe it isn't what's in the water, but the lack of water.

I suspect this writer is suffering from delusion caused by massive dehydration.

JamStone
01-07-2008, 12:36 AM
Even if it is this season. Spurs have a better record than Hornets. Maybe its cuase the Spurs haven't really been healthy and playing together all season. Anyways they are still too low on that list. With Tim Tony and Manu you can't lose.

So you would be fine saying Billups, Hamilton, and Rasheed are a better trio than Manu, Tony, and Tim since the Pistons have a better record?

And, the Spurs are not undefeated when all three play.

spurspf
01-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Parker is definitely better than Terry. No question. Ginobili and Howard is tough. Howard is definitely the harder one to stop.

For the Spurs maybe, but ask any other team in the league, who would you rather try to stop, Howard or Manu? I think they would rather try to stop Howard.

spursfan09
01-07-2008, 12:54 AM
So you would be fine saying Billups, Hamilton, and Rasheed are a better trio than Manu, Tony, and Tim since the Pistons have a better record?

And, the Spurs are not undefeated when all three play.

I don't give a shit what you think really. If you want to believe that then go ahead. And I didn't mean for it to seem like I'm saying that they are undefeated. I meant no matter what Tim and Tony and Manu are bad ass, like you can't lose with them. It's not a bad choice. Next time I won't be so literal.

bostonguy
01-07-2008, 01:16 AM
I would say Boston has easily one of the best trios in the league. I'd only put the Spurs ahead of them.