PDA

View Full Version : Kori has been in San Antonio since when????

inconvertible
01-05-2008, 09:46 PM
http://sanantonio.about.com/mbiopage.htm

Kori Ellis
01-05-2008, 09:49 PM

J.T.
01-05-2008, 10:33 PM
omg bandwagoner

Melmart1
01-05-2008, 10:46 PM
:wtf What does it matter how long she has been here?

Leetonidas
01-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Kori came when the Jazz stopped being good and the Spurs started being the constant contender in the West. :lol

jaffies
01-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Tony Parker has been in SA longer.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2008, 10:49 PM
omg bandwagoner

I have never claimed anything different :lol

I still wasn't even a Spurs fan after the 99 title. I'm a Duncan fan first and foremost. So I have watched most Spurs games since he came into the league. I grew up a Suns fan. I spent a little time as a Jazz fan. I had Lakers and Clippers season tickets. So, in general, I'm just a basketball fan.

I didn't really start loving the Spurs til 2001 or so.

whottt
01-05-2008, 11:18 PM
I have never claimed anything different

I still wasn't even a Spurs fan after the 99 title. I'm a Duncan fan first and foremost. So I have watched most Spurs games since he came into the league. I grew up a Suns fan. I spent a little time as a Jazz fan. I had Lakers and Clippers season tickets. So, in general, I'm just a basketball fan.

And timvp married you with full knowledge of this?

TwoHandJam
01-05-2008, 11:23 PM
2001? Yikes! Bad postseason to start loving the Spurs. *shudder*

SouthernFried
01-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Pffft...I consider everyone who has jumped on the wagon after 1977 a bandwagoneer.

And not being born yet is just a lame excuse.

samikeyp
01-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Pffft...I consider everyone who has jumped on the wagon after 1977 a bandwagoneer.

And not being born yet is just a lame excuse.

Then 1974 is ok? :)

duncan228
01-05-2008, 11:25 PM
I'm a Duncan fan first and foremost.

This should put to rest any question about why I love Kori so much.

All right, there are lots of reasons, but I'm all about Duncan and Kori's articles about him have always been a joy to read.

midgetonadonkey
01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
omg bandwagoner

I guess bandwagoners can smell their own.

whottt
01-05-2008, 11:26 PM
There was nothing to bandwagon prior to 1999 btw.

duncan228
01-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Kori has done more for the Spurs since 2001 then any Spurs fan I've come across. Even those that have been fans since 1977.

Kori started SpursTalk.

samikeyp
01-05-2008, 11:30 PM
Long enough to create this site and make it kick ass. :toast

my2sons
01-05-2008, 11:34 PM
There was nothing to bandwagon prior to 1999 btw.

sorry, there were some awsome fights, nickle beer, blowing the roof out of the ol' arena, captain late, ice,....

i must disagree

samikeyp
01-05-2008, 11:35 PM
sorry, there were some awsome fights, nickle beer, blowing the roof out of the ol' arena, captain late, ice,....

i must disagree

Very true.....the old arena was a blast.

Man In Black
01-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I knew Kori when...Shaq tried to include her into his posse of "bitches". The then Ms. Townsend, said...UM NO!!!

:)

Went to a few games out at Staples;Was there the day her and LJ got hitched and try to call whenever I'm in SA. West Coast Spurs Fans are committed.

whottt
01-05-2008, 11:41 PM

i must disagree

Anyone that started following the team for those reasons isn't a bandwagoner.

Kori Ellis
01-05-2008, 11:44 PM
I knew Kori when...Shaq tried to include her into his posse of "bitches". The then Ms. Townsend, said...UM NO!!!

Went to a few games out at Staples;Was there the day her and LJ got hitched and try to call whenever I'm in SA. West Coast Spurs Fans are committed.

Remember the time we were at Staples and that 9-year-old Laker fan was staring you down when we cheering on the Spurs and talking smack :lol

Kori Ellis
01-05-2008, 11:46 PM
And timvp married you with full knowledge of this?

:lmao Yeah, I must be pretty damn good at what I do for him to get over the Jazz part :smokin

timvp
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
The only difference between Kori and most "Spurs fans" is she admits to hopping on the bandwagon. Most other Spurs fans try to pretend they've been on the bandwagon since 1945.

I remember the post-Gervin, pre-Robinson days when you couldn't find a Spurs fan. Even in 1997, the Rockets had like 2,000 times more fans on the internets than the Spurs.

timvp
01-05-2008, 11:49 PM
:lmao Yeah, I must be pretty damn good at what I do for him to get over the Jazz part :smokinThat was almost a deal breaker :madrun

inconvertible
01-05-2008, 11:54 PM
omg bandwagoner

:lol

Kori Ellis
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
Okay ... even though I'm a bandwagoner, I had season tickets by myself to the Lakers/Clippers in 1998-02, and I used to go heckle the hell out of the Lakers when they played the Spurs. One time I was almost thrown out by security :lmao

I also flew to San Antonio in 99 to watch playoff games. So, it's not like I wasn't a Spurs fan a little bit. But I was more rooting for Duncan than anything else.

I did root for the Lakers and Jazz when they weren't playing the Spurs though.

And I did grow up in Phoenix, so I was a Suns fan from when I was young (during Alvin Adams, Gar Heard, Walter Davis, Larry Nance, Kyle Macy, Truck Robinson, etc time).

You can thank Kyle Macy for SpursTalk. Because if I didn't have such a crush, I would have never become a big basketball fan, then eventual Spurs fan, etc. :lol

inconvertible
01-05-2008, 11:56 PM
born in s.a. 1969, spurs fan since 1974.....please don't ban this born and bred spurs fan.

:flag:

whottt
01-06-2008, 12:02 AM
I remember the post-Gervin, pre-Robinson days when you couldn't find a Spurs fan. Even in 1997, the Rockets had like 2,000 times more fans on the internets than the Spurs.

Which is exactly why I said there was nothing to bandwagon prior to 1999.

If this forum had existed back in the 80s through the early 90's there would have been about 10 posters on it.

My entire circle of diehard Spurs friends pre message board consisted of about 6 regulars, maybe 10 if the Spurs were on a hot streak.

Diehard fandom as it exists now is entirely due to the Spurs winning championships.

I was actually made fun of for being a Spurfan at times.

The Spurs got zero media coverage, zero star coverage and zero respect...Gervin being as well known as he was was something of a miracle in itself.

Half the time you didn't even know the score and stats of some of the games until the day after.

On top of all that...there was barely a time when the Spurs could lay claim to being the best team in Texas...the Rockets had all the star power(and finals appearances).

It's not like there was anything to brag about back then...other than George Gervin and David Robinson. That was it...

CubanMustGo
01-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Even in 1997, the Rockets had like 2,000 times more fans on the internets than the Spurs.

in 1997, teh internets had yet to hit San Antonio

whottt
01-06-2008, 12:07 AM
Okay ... even though I'm a bandwagoner, I had season tickets by myself to the Lakers/Clippers in 1998-02, and I used to go heckle the hell out of the Lakers when they played the Spurs. One time I was almost thrown out by security :lmao

I also flew to San Antonio in 99 to watch playoff games. So, it's not like I wasn't a Spurs fan a little bit. But I was more rooting for Duncan than anything else.

If it makes you feel any better the Showtime Lakers were my second favorite team...I lived in Hermosa beach during the 87, 88 seasons and part of the 89 as well they were the team I followed, when the Spurs were sucking.

Keep in mind that the Showtime Lakers were pure class and fun to watch, and they should forever be kept apart from the stank that was the Shaq Kobe Lakers.

inconvertible
01-06-2008, 12:11 AM
http://www.thegoogleontheinternets.com/georgebush02.jpg

..........he has heard that there are "rumours on the internets"

timvp
01-06-2008, 12:15 AM
Which is exactly why I said there was nothing to bandwagon prior to 1999.

If this forum had existed back in the 80s through the early 90's there would have been about 10 posters on it. Yeah once upon a time, the Spurs online message board community consisted of about five people: Spurs Fan, timvp, Ghost Writer, exstatic and Flava Flav.

My entire circle of diehard Spurs friends pre message board consisted of about 6 regulars, maybe 10 if the Spurs were on a hot streak.

Diehard fandom as it exists now is entirely due to the Spurs winning championships.

I was actually made fun of for being a Spurfan at times. Yeah being a Spurs fan was a joke. Even Mav Fan could pull the Cowboys card. Spurs fans had regular season wins to hang on to :lol

I really don't care if a Spurs fan became a fan yesterday, as long as they are on the bandwagon now I'll gladly take them.

However, Spurs fans who date back to at least the '90's are generally better able to keep things in perspective compared to Spurs fans who have just lived the glory years. And they generally are able to be a fan of the whole team instead of just one or two players.

inconvertible
01-06-2008, 12:18 AM
you forgot cs292......back in the dusty garza days.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 12:29 AM
i was a celtic fan back then. more accurately, a bird fan. didn't become a duncan fan until i saw a clip of timmy kneeling on the free throw line for missing a game winning free throw.

timvp
01-06-2008, 12:34 AM
You can thank Kyle Macy for SpursTalk. Because if I didn't have such a crush, I would have never become a big basketball fan, then eventual Spurs fan, etc. :lol

http://www.nba.com/suns/images/macy_k_drive.jpg

Kori Ellis - The original ploto.

:smokin

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-06-2008, 12:35 AM
:lmao "original ploto"

Kori Ellis
01-06-2008, 12:36 AM
http://www.nba.com/suns/images/macy_k_drive.jpg

Kori Ellis - The original ploto.

Hey .. I stood in line for hours at a shoe store to get my picture taken with him in 1981. :lol

Now he's just an old bald guy. :lmao

J.T.
01-06-2008, 12:39 AM
Somehow my bandwagoner joke was construed as trolling/me being a jerk. I think I'm going to quit posting here because I fail at forums.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Somehow my bandwagoner joke was construed as trolling/me being a jerk. I think I'm going to quit posting here because I fail at forums.

I knew you were joking. :lol And I don't care if people think I'm a bandwagoner.

timvp
01-06-2008, 12:41 AM
Somehow my bandwagoner joke was construed as trolling/me being a jerk. I think I'm going to quit posting here because I fail at forums.While we are at it ... how long have you been a Colts fan.

:stirpot:

whottt
01-06-2008, 12:44 AM

:dramaquee

If I quit the forum every time someone posted a stupid reply to one of my posts, I'd have quit the forum a bunch of times. Instead I start arguments with these people...it's cathartic.

timvp
01-06-2008, 12:46 AM
True.

:dramaquee

I became a Spurs fan after they signed Barry.

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 12:48 AM
Yeah being a Spurs fan was a joke. Even Mav Fan could pull the Cowboys card. Spurs fans had regular season wins to hang on to

And the occasional division title which meant you stood in line for Midwest Division Championship shirts!!

I thought it was cool when I was a sophomore in high school and got to use some floor seats at the Arena...I know now that I got them because nobody really wanted them! Believe it or not, there were some people who didn't want to see Marc Iavaroni start for the Spurs! :lol

whottt
01-06-2008, 12:49 AM
Yeah once upon a time, the Spurs online message board community consisted of about five people: Spurs Fan, timvp, Ghost Writer, exstatic and Flava Flav

See, to me you guys were some kind of new fangled fan...the idea that there would even a be a message board/ newgroup devoted to the Spurs never even crossed my mind, in fact the first time I encountered one was the night that the Spurs won the title when I found the MySantonio site....I think I visited it and some of the others about 10-20 times prior to the 2001 season.

And that site was dead.

Then again, I didn't even own a PC until 1997.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 12:50 AM
:lmao
this thread is hilarious!

J.T.
01-06-2008, 12:51 AM
While we are at it ... how long have you been a Colts fan.

:stirpot:

Since 2001 when I took a high school trip to Indy and hung out at the mall all day, wandered into the food court and had lunch with some Colts fans who converted me.

I have never claimed to have been a pre-Manning Colts fan but I have been around for the whole Dungy era. I'm nowhere near as lame as monosylab1k who probably trolled google and wikipedia for a week before deciding to out himself as a Pats fan so he could play the "I've loved them forever!" card.

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 12:52 AM

True. That was a dark time in Spurs fandom. It was amazing how many Celtics, Lakers and Rockets fans became Spurs fans about 1990.

SequSpur
01-06-2008, 12:53 AM
All of you are post 99 bandwagoners. The only thing you remember was Avery's shot against a team that was going to get their ass smoked anyway. Nevermind the other shitty years he was here.

Fillmoe
01-06-2008, 12:54 AM
so you must remember that ass whooping the niners put on you guys before the famous "playoffs" speech

SpursFanFirst
01-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Since 2001 when I took a high school trip to Indy and hung out at the mall all day, wandered into the food court and had lunch with some Colts fans who converted me.

Off topic, but I have to ask...WHY would your high school take a trip to Indy when there are so many other places to go?

Melmart1
01-06-2008, 12:57 AM
Off topic, but I have to ask...WHY would your high school take a trip to Indy when there are so many other places to go?
And I have to ask, how are you a Colts fan? JT take a lot of shit about bandwaggoning, but you never seen to get questioned ...

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 12:58 AM

I have never claimed to have been a pre-Manning Colts fan but I have been around for the whole Dungy era. I'm nowhere near as lame as monosylab1k who probably trolled google and wikipedia for a week before deciding to out himself as a Pats fan so he could play the "I've loved them forever!" card.

Do you think you will be a post-Manning Colts fan?

I wonder how many who claim to be Spurs fans when TP, TD and Manu are gone. There may be about 5 of us left. :lol

J.T.
01-06-2008, 12:58 AM

Some national marching band competition that's held at the RCA Dome. I wasn't a participant so I pretty much just got to hang at the mall and hotel the whole time. I had a good time.

timvp
01-06-2008, 12:59 AM

I have never claimed to have been a pre-Manning Colts fan but I have been around for the whole Dungy era. I'm nowhere near as lame as monosylab1k who probably trolled google and wikipedia for a week before deciding to out himself as a Pats fan so he could play the "I've loved them forever!" card.At least you didn't pull the pre-Manning card. My BS detector would have exploded :tu

I used to be a fan of the Spurs, Oilers and Expos. I only got one left. Luckily, it's a pretty good one.

SpursFanFirst
01-06-2008, 12:59 AM
And I have to ask, how are you a Colts fan? JT take a lot of shit about bandwaggoning, but you never seen to get questioned ...

Actually, I in Indy.

*um, that would be..."Actually, I LIVE in Indy."

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 01:01 AM
At least you didn't pull the pre-Manning card. My BS detector would have exploded :tu

I used to be a fan of the Spurs, Oilers and Expos. I only got one left. Luckily, it's a pretty good one.

Holy shit! You're a jinx! :lol

Fillmoe
01-06-2008, 01:02 AM
kings fan since j will was drafted.... 98!

Melmart1
01-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Actually, I in Indy.

*um, that would be..."Actually, I LIVE in Indy."
So why aren't you a Pacers fan?

J.T.
01-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Do you think you will be a post-Manning Colts fan?

I wonder how many who claim to be Spurs fans when TP, TD and Manu are gone. There may be about 5 of us left. :lol

I will. When you spend several years rooting for one team, it becomes a part of you. And I feel like part of my soul dies every time I touch something with a Cowboys star on it.

Melmart1
01-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Shit, I will be one of those five. If I haven't given up on the Rangers, what makes you think I would ever give up on the Spurs? :lol

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 01:04 AM
I will. When you spend several years rooting for one team, it becomes a part of you. And I feel like part of my soul dies every time I touch something with a Cowboys star on it.

Then it balances out because my soul is enhanced when that happens. :)

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 01:05 AM
Shit, I will be one of those five. If I haven't given up on the Rangers, what makes you think I would ever give up on the Spurs? :lol

You and me against the world, baby!

SpursFanFirst
01-06-2008, 01:07 AM
So why aren't you a Pacers fan?

I don't mind the Pacers, and I'd like to see them do well...I just wish they weren't an embarrassment to this city. But, if I didn't work nights/weekends, I'd probably have tickets.

Long story short, I grew up in San Antonio; still consider it home. I've been a Spurs/Cowboys fan since I was a child.
Now, I live in Indy. I wasn't a Colts fan until I moved here, but it's hard not to get caught up in being a fan of a team when you live in that city.

Oh, and I also lived in South Bend for several years...the Irish grew on me.

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't mind the Pacers, and I'd like to see them do well...I just wish they weren't an embarrassment to this city. But, if I didn't work nights/weekends, I'd probably have tickets.

Long story short, I grew up in San Antonio; still consider it home. I've been a Spurs/Cowboys fan since I was a child.
Now, I live in Indy. I wasn't a Colts fan until I moved here, but it's hard not to get caught up in being a fan of a team when you live in that city.

Unless you live in Lions country, then its pretty easy.

SpursFanFirst
01-06-2008, 01:09 AM

:lol Well, I did live in Minneapolis too, and never latched on to the Vikings...but then I only lived there a year.

timvp
01-06-2008, 01:09 AM
Holy shit! You're a jinx! :lolAfter this run is over, Spurs fans disappear and the Spurs move, I'll know who is to blame.

This time I'll just follow them.

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
After this run is over, Spurs fans disappear and the Spurs move, I'll know who is to blame.

Cool...I'll drive.

Tek_XX
01-06-2008, 01:11 AM
Does it really matter when a person becomes a fan of a team. I became a Spurs fan when i moved here in 95, and you can't blame a someone from out of town knowing much about the Spurs. The media doesn't exactly hype them up. I must admit thou that i was a bandwagon bulls fan in the late 90's as well as a spurs fan.

SpursFanFirst
01-06-2008, 01:11 AM

Funny story about the Lions...
Ryan Diem and Jeff Saturday come into the station every Sunday to do a round table with our sports guy, and one weekend, they were asked which stadium is their favorite to play in.
The answer? Ford Field because it's the only stadium where fans of the home team will root for the visitors. :lol

J.T.
01-06-2008, 01:13 AM
Does it really matter when a person becomes a fan of a team. I became a Spurs fan when i moved here in 95, and you can't blame a someone from out of town knowing much about the Spurs. The media doesn't exactly hype them up. I must admit thou that i was a bandwagon bulls fan in the late 90's as well as a spurs fan.

Unfortunately it matters a lot because rooting for an out-of-state team to some people is tantamount to cheating on your wife.

spursfan09
01-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I have never claimed anything different :lol

I'm all hey! She started the best forum for Spurs on the whole interent. She doens't need to prove herself! Fuck that! yeah I'm drunk/

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 01:16 AM
Funny story about the Lions...
Ryan Diem and Jeff Saturday come into the station every Sunday to do a round table with our sports guy, and one weekend, they were asked which stadium is their favorite to play in.
The answer? Ford Field because it's the only stadium where fans of the home team will root for the visitors. :lol

I don't think its necessarily when you start being a fan of a team but when you leave a team that bothers people. To me, and this is just a personal opinion, you stick with a team no matter what happens. When people bail on a team that starts losing, some tend to see that as a bad thing.

I agree with you JT, as a Spurs fan up here, I hear the whole "you're in Michigan, root for the Pistons" thing.

Tek_XX
01-06-2008, 01:19 AM
Unfortunately it matters a lot because rooting for an out-of-state team to some people is tantamount to cheating on your wife.

I understand the sentiment. I can't stand local Laker fans, especially when there's really nothing to Bandwagon for.

Man In Black
01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Remember the time we were at Staples and that 9-year-old Laker fan was staring you down when we cheering on the Spurs and talking smack :lol

Punk kid:madrun ...Spurs should've won that particular game, I should've spit in that kid's coke :smokin lucky for him...I'm civil.

Horry For 3!
01-06-2008, 01:26 AM
I was a Spurs fan all my life but I wasn't a die-hard til 97 when we drafted Timmy. Before then I liked Rockets (when Horry was there, I also liked Hakeem) and the Bulls (because of Michael Jordan) as well.

J.T.
01-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I used to root for Michael too. But I think everybody rooted for Michael in some capacity.

Horry For 3!
01-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Yeah, I used to root for Michael too. But I think everybody rooted for Michael in some capacity.
Yeah, I was gonna say, probably a lot of people liked the Bulls in some sort cause of him.

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 01:35 AM

I did in Barcelona and at UNC...oh and when he was beating Utah. :)

Horry For 3!
01-06-2008, 01:37 AM
I did in Barcelona and at UNC...oh and when he was beating Utah. :)
Him, Worthy, Perkins were the reason why I became a North Carolina fan. I am probably more of a North Carolina basketball fan than Texas basketball fan.

J.T.
01-06-2008, 01:41 AM
I am still waiting for Lebron to follow in Micheal's footsteps and make Space Jam 2 where the aliens steal the talent of Kobe, Nash, Duncan, D12, and Melo... but I think Hollywood knows there's no way Lebron wins that game.

Horry For 3!
01-06-2008, 01:41 AM
But North Carolina is the only college I root for outside of Texas in any sport. It is North Carolina and Texas for basketball and every other sport it is Texas all the way.

Kori Ellis
01-06-2008, 01:42 AM
Punk kid:madrun ...Spurs should've won that particular game, I should've spit in that kid's coke :smokin lucky for him...I'm civil.

Remember all that whole section of people that were booing us from above :lmao That was a fun day even though the Spurs lost :(

Man In Black
01-06-2008, 01:48 AM
I kept telling those fools that win or lose, wherever I go...I'm dressed appropriately for I AM THE MAN IN BLACK!!!

m33p0
01-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I was gonna say, probably a lot of people liked the Bulls in some sort cause of him.
i was rooting for the lakers, trailblazers and the suns against the bulls. never liked kemp, so fuck sonics. fuck utah too.

KidCongo
01-06-2008, 05:17 AM
I am still waiting for Lebron to follow in Micheal's footsteps and make Space Jam 2 where the aliens steal the talent of Kobe, Nash, Duncan, D12, and Melo... but I think Hollywood knows there's no way Lebron wins that game.

Sometimes i dream, that he is me, i just wanna be like lebron

m33p0
01-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Sometimes i dream, that he is me, i just wanna be like lebron
great..... JT!!! THIS IS YOUR FAULT!!! :ihit

MannyIsGod
01-06-2008, 05:45 AM
I was hardcore in the mid 90s. I didn't really know my shit (cue Timvp linking me talking about trading Elliot pre 97) cut I loved this team big time.

IceColdBrewski
01-06-2008, 06:44 AM
It's gonna be funny to see what happens to this forum when/if the Spurs have to rebuild after the Duncan era. If there's a drought of losing seasons, I'm guessing at least half of the posters here disappear. But I won't be one of them. I suffered through those dark years in the mid-to-late 80's and stuck with them. Jumping on the bandwagon of another team was never an option.

jamanuel
01-06-2008, 08:45 AM
This thread is cool, reminiscing old times with their present and former favorite sports and players. As for me and as far as I could remember I started liking basketball back in 1986. That time I like the Detroit Pistons, Lakers, and the Chicago Bulls. My favorite players were Bill Laimbeer(spelling?) Magic Johnson, James Worthy and the most recent-before finally committing to MANU and the SPURS- was Toni Kukoc. So, I just hope that Manu will stay with the Spurs until he retires or else another story of a next team is yet to tell and the rest is history. :dramaquee :dizzy I don't even want to think about it. :nope :nope :nope :nope I rather :bang :bang :bang :bang

samikeyp
01-06-2008, 02:54 PM
It's gonna be funny to see what happens to this forum when/if the Spurs have to rebuild after the Duncan era. If there's a drought of losing seasons, I'm guessing at least half of the posters here disappear. But I won't be one of them. I suffered through those dark years in the mid-to-late 80's and stuck with them. Jumping on the bandwagon of another team was never an option.

+1

whottt
01-06-2008, 03:11 PM

I am pretty much a frontrunner...if my team sucks I generally don't follow them as closely. I get no enjoyment from bad sports. I usually won't bangwagon another team but it just depends if I liked the players on that team at that particular time...I will root for a team I like to win it if my team won't. I bandwagoned the Baltimore Ravens the year they won the Superbowl...because I liked their intensity. I bandwagoned the Showtime Lakers during the Spurs last down era...they weren't my favorite teams, they were just the teams I rooted for to win since my team wasn't going be winning anything.

If the Spurs go 21-61...I probably won't be following them near as closely. Because that will suck. Losing sucks. Bad teams suck.

30 years as a Texas Ranger fan has taught me this...ironically enough, I've never followed another baseball team, not for one instant.

Plus if there are great players I liked a whole lot, once they retire it's kind of melancholy watching the team try and replace them. Not a fun feeling.

It was full 2 years before I could really get into the Cowboys again after Emmitt retired.

The Spurs are on a near 20 years streak of being title contenders in one form or another though...I won't say I've followed them closely every year of that time...but most of the time I have, more than any other team in any other sport, longer than any other team in any other sport, and ironically enough basketball is probably my third favorite sport after football and baseball

It's not just that the Spurs have won most of that time...it's that David Robinson is my all time favorite pro athlete...in a landslide. No one else even comes close.

First thing I am going to want to do when the Spurs run is over is catch my breath. I'll be taking a break from basketball for a while...

All you guys that will live and die with lottery/bad teams...

I give you props...you're better fans than I am...you're also masochistic.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-06-2008, 03:13 PM

E20
01-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Way before I was born, my Mom's egg was a half spurs fan and my dads sperm was a half spurs fan and when they combined they made a 100% grade spurs fan. I was a spurs fan when I was first concieved and didn't know what light was, but knew what the Spurs were. [/best story]

J.T.
01-06-2008, 07:22 PM
I think E20 may be the one person out there who sucks more at forums than I do.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Way before I was born, my Mom's egg was a half spurs fan and my dads sperm was a half spurs fan and when they combined they made a 100% grade spurs fan. I was a spurs fan when I was first concieved and didn't know what light was, but knew what the Spurs were. [/best story]
.... damn. no smiley could show how i reacted to this one...... :down:

ShoogarBear
01-06-2008, 07:46 PM
When the Spurs go bad, I will revert to my Maverick roots.

E20
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I think E20 may be the one person out there who sucks more at forums than I do.

.... damn. no smiley could show how i reacted to this one......
That's the sign of a good entertainer, always leaving them wanting more.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 07:54 PM
That's the sign of a good entertainer, always leaving them wanting more.
or wanting less.... :lmao

ShoogarBear
01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah once upon a time, the Spurs online message board community consisted of about five people: Spurs Fan, timvp, Ghost Writer, exstatic and Flava Flav. If you're saying "online" = "World-Wide Web", maybe.

There were a few of us on USENET back in the late 80s.

slayermin
01-06-2008, 09:16 PM

I'm not gonna claim I was a hardcore Spurs fan during this time. But I did watch Spurs games because I was a fan of Alvin Robertson. I was hanging on the hope he would turn things around for the Spurs.

LilMissSPURfect
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM

+ 2 & 3

LilMissSPURfect
01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
I want another MANU!!!!!! coz dang when his time comes.....

dang
dang!

florige
01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
I knew you were joking. :lol And I don't care if people think I'm a bandwagoner.

If you are a bandwagoner you sure don't post like one. Breaking down plays and seeing who missed what assignment and when. I thought I knew alot about the Spurs prior to coming to this site. Thats why now I live in the club..... :lol People here always give me grief like how do you like that boring team. They got lucky last year or whatever. But when I try to make a bet with them they don't want to.... :king

remingtonbo2001
01-07-2008, 12:07 AM
After this run is over, Spurs fans disappear and the Spurs move, I'll know who is to blame.

You didn't follow the Oilers to Tennessee? :nope

I've tried to love the Cowboys. I like them, but at heart I will always be an Oilers fan.

As for the Spurs. The first game I can remember (6yrs) was the 90' Western Conference Semi's against Portland, when Strickland through away our chance at a championship. If you went through the pain of the 95' W.C.F., or even the disasterous 96-97 season, then you are a geniune SPURS fan.
After that, well, then it depends...You can still be a genuine Spurs fan, but your application must be submitted for review. :spin

Oh wait....if you cried after the .04 incident...or punched a whole in your wall...then you are a genuine Spurs fan!

jamanuel
01-07-2008, 12:16 AM

+10. There's no way we can beat you on that! Who dares? :clap :clap :clap

san antonio spurs
01-07-2008, 01:47 AM
So Timvp is the reason they(expos) left my city??? We did everything we could, but his jinx powers were too much to overcome. :bang

ShoogarBear
01-07-2008, 02:15 AM
The Expos? :lol

I saw a game in Olympic Stadium in the early 90s against the Astros. What a dump.

Anyway, I just figured out why timvp was an Expos fan:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/expos_35/30.jpghttp://www2.jsonline.com/sports/brew/image/2000/vlad423.jpg

T Park
01-07-2008, 02:43 AM
Season tickets since 88 89.

Watching Frank Brickowski and Caddy Anderson man the front court was pretty enlightening to say the least.

m33p0
01-07-2008, 02:46 AM
You didn't follow the Oilers to Tennessee? :nope

I've tried to love the Cowboys. I like them, but at heart I will always be an Oilers fan.

As for the Spurs. The first game I can remember (6yrs) was the 90' Western Conference Semi's against Portland, when Strickland through away our chance at a championship. If you went through the pain of the 95' W.C.F., or even the disasterous 96-97 season, then you are a geniune SPURS fan.
After that, well, then it depends...You can still be a genuine Spurs fan, but your application must be submitted for review. :spin

Oh wait....if you cried after the .04 incident...or punched a whole in your wall...then you are a genuine Spurs fan!
didn't cry nor did i punch a hole on the wall. but i didn't watch the rest of the playoffs either believing the spurs got robbed. does that count?

timvp
01-07-2008, 02:49 AM
So Timvp is the reason they(expos) left my city??? We did everything we could, but his jinx powers were too much to overcome. :bangMy bad. :depressed

The Expos? :lol

I saw a game in Olympic Stadium in the early 90s against the Astros. What a dump.

Anyway, I just figured out why timvp was an Expos fan:

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/mlb/photo/photogallery/expos_35/30.jpghttp://www2.jsonline.com/sports/brew/image/2000/vlad423.jpg:lol

Good guesses but the correct answer is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38462000/jpg/_38462697_alou_all_300.jpg

Felipe Alou is the Godfather of Dominican baseball. He was the first Dominican player and has God-like status on the island. Alou was a coach for the Expos since the mid-70's which made a lot of Dominicans hardcore Expos fans during that time. While he didn't become manager until 1992, I had been a fan since I was old enough to understand what baseball was.

I'm not sure what day sucked more ... the day the strike killed the Expos best ever team in 1994 or the day when the Expos died.

travis2
01-07-2008, 07:44 AM

I remember that! :lol

And I remember when some posters thought she was a he...

travis2
01-07-2008, 07:49 AM
Some national marching band competition that's held at the RCA Dome. I wasn't a participant so I pretty much just got to hang at the mall and hotel the whole time. I had a good time.

BOA Grand Nationals. My kids have been twice.

travis2
01-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Kori may not have been IN San Antonio...but she's been around since before the MySA board days...back in the E-N bulletin board days.

Jimcs50
01-07-2008, 09:29 AM
Kori may not have been IN San Antonio...but she's been around since before the MySA board days...back in the E-N bulletin board days.

Kori was one of us (CosmicCowboy, Travis, Crazy One) that are still posting in here that was on that board. She did come in after Spurs won the first championship.

SpursIndonesia
01-07-2008, 12:24 PM
This should put to rest any question about why I love Kori so much.

All right, there are lots of reasons, but I'm all about Duncan and Kori's articles about him have always been a joy to read.

I still remember the 'It's Time Duncan' article or something like that back in summer 02 IIRC, back then in SR website. :smokin

FromWayDowntown
01-07-2008, 01:02 PM
I've been with the Spurs since my neighbor took me to a game in 1979 or 1980, when I was an 8 year old. I might have been the only child in San Antonio to seek out AM radio to listen to Sam Smith call games without some prompting from a parent, but my parents had no interest in the Spurs back then. I didn't understand the way things worked for a couple of years -- playoffs were more or less no different than regular season games -- but I learned those things by following the Spurs. My best friend's father worked for Handy Dan as an accountant and could get good seats to games through that position, so he'd take my buddy and me to games when my parents wouldn't. In fact, because of that connection, I have seen at least one Spurs' home game in every season since 1982-83.

I remember the day of the draft lottery in 1987 and sitting there hoping against hope that the Spurs card would come up. I remember seeing that the Spurs hadn't fallen where they were supposed to (4th) and that the Clippers' had. I remember seeing Phoenix's card come up and knowing that the Spurs had gotten the best #1 pick since Hakeem. And I remember the draft that year, and listening to Rick Barry go on and on about how David Robinson should not sign a deal for a year and then become a free agent and sign with the Celtics or Lakers.

I have recently been transferring games I've had on VHS tapes to DVD and watching those games as I do that. This weekend, I transferred all of the 1995 West Finals (other than Game 1) and 1 game of the 1995 West Semis against LA. As I watched, I recalled that Games 1 and 2 of that series -- the conference finals -- weren't broadcast in San Antonio on national TV and were available here only by pay-per-view. I still remember sitting at the kitchen table at my mother's house for Game 2, with a basketball scorebook in front of me, tracking the game by keeping score and getting madder and madder at Dennis Rodman as that first quarter wore on.

Frankly, I wish I had known about internet forums before I found the last precursor to this site, because in that time, I couldn't find too many people who could talk Spurs basketball intelligently. I didn't even consider the possibility of a place like this until about 2000, and then I was quite reluctant to participate, seeing that so many of hte posters in that time were much more basketball-sophisticated than I was. I kept reading, and finally decided to take the plunge in about 2002 -- for good or for ill.

And I'll be one of those 5 who are still here when the inevitable occurs.

Kori Ellis
01-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I still remember the 'It's Time Duncan' article or something like that back in summer 02 IIRC, back then in SR website. :smokin

That's funny. I started writing for SpursReport in late 2001, so that's probably correct. Prior to that, I wrote the Power Rankings at Hoopsworld. :dramaquee

Ironically, the first real basketball article that I wrote at SR was about Lamar Odom, not the Spurs. And that's when NBATV contacted me to call-in from L.A. and "be on" that insiders show.

travis2
01-07-2008, 01:17 PM
I remember that call-in...

duncan228
01-07-2008, 01:39 PM
And I remember when some posters thought she was a he...

I can relate to that...

and now it makes sense! :)

bigfundamental21
01-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Bottom line is that it doesn't matter how long Kori has been a Spurs fan, just that she is now! And I thank God she is and that she brought us SpursTalk. Thanks, Kori, and glad you got here as soon as you could!

inconvertible
01-07-2008, 09:18 PM
wow, didn't mean to cause such a stir.