PDA

View Full Version : Finally made the plunge.

lonestr
01-06-2008, 05:29 PM
I've been a Spurs fan since their arrival from Dallas. It was tough to watch a very successful franchise blow it in the playoffs year after year. Once my Spurs were eliminated, my love for the game allowed me to follow the other teams to championships such as the Celtics, Lakers, and Bulls. I never would have dreamed San Antonio to win a championship much less four despite being a small market venue. I am living in special times and I hope my children may have the opportunity to experience what we have in Tim Duncan's era. I am a member of Spursreport, but I have also kept tabs on Spurstalk throughout the years. Spursreport has been dry as of late and I decided to take the plunge and mingle with you guys and talk "Spurs". I'm a bit of the rowdy sort and enjoy having trolls for breakfast. SR would like things to be a bit tame so I comply. Things do get a bit rowdy here when it needs to and that's what appeals to me. I'm a veteran of two wars, Iraq(Desert Storm) and Bosnia(IFOR). I own my own successful business and live in the downtown area of this great city(Monte Vista). I'm passionate about the Spurs and my wife is a converted Texan from California. She used to be a Lakers fan until I brought her home to San Antonio. She's San Antonio's biggest fan and is not afraid to put the smackdown on anyone who belittles the Spurs. Let's get ready to rumble!!!! :ihit

ashbeeigh
01-06-2008, 05:33 PM
Welcome to Spurstalk, lonestr!

lonestr
01-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks ashbeeigh.

midgetonadonkey
01-06-2008, 06:04 PM
James White!

mrsmaalox
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi!

Hemotivo
01-06-2008, 06:05 PM
Hi!

RashoFan
01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Welcome!

duncan228
01-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Once you go SpursTalk there's no going back!
Welcome.

angel_luv
01-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Hello and welcome. :)

T Park
01-06-2008, 06:23 PM
welcome, and hope you enjoy yourself :)

Leetonidas
01-06-2008, 06:27 PM
James White!
Ime Udoka!

lonestr
01-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks. I usually travel throughout the U.S. and when business is done, I put on my black Spurs polo and look for a nice sports pub to relax. Most of the time, I get props for the Spurs, but some jerks do get in my cross hairs and it's "on". Sometimes they gang up on me, but after a while, it's talcum powder and nice dry diapers for those who dared cross me. It's all in good fun.

tlongII
01-06-2008, 06:51 PM
You and your team are going DOWN! It's all about the Portland Trail Blazers!

m33p0
01-06-2008, 06:58 PM
nice... err... "spur', tlong. welcome to the forum, lonestr.

lefty
01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
She used to be a Lakers fan until I brought her home to San Antonio. She's San Antonio's biggest fan and is not afraid to put the smackdown on anyone who belittles the Spurs.

That's rare.

And really cool

Welcome !! :toast

lonestr
01-06-2008, 07:52 PM
TlongII, S'up!! I have respect for Portland, but not as much as the Trailblazers of the 90's. You guys have a way to go but I feel it's just a matter of time. Your front office has some serious issues that have purposely put Portland on the QT up until now. Once Oden is back next year, I think it's all a matter of chemistry and how they accept their roles. Remember, it's not the games teams play one another during the regular season, but rather how well they fair in a seven game series. The Rose Garden is one heck of a place.

DazedAndConfused
01-06-2008, 07:53 PM
She was never really a Laker fan if she converted to being a Spurs fan.

LilMissSPURfect
01-06-2008, 07:55 PM
haaay!

m33p0
01-06-2008, 07:56 PM
he's a laker fan who refuses to change his team affiliation so as to appear unbiased (and full of shit).

lonestr
01-06-2008, 08:24 PM

Actually, she didn't understand the game but simply joined her friends and the populous for that matter in rooting for the Lakers. Until we married and moved to San Antonio, I taught her how the game is played and she saw first hand how the players conducted themselves here in this city vice the egotistical lives the Laker players truly lived in LaLa land and saw them for what they were.

jmard5
01-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Hey, welcome to SpursTalk.

Cheers!

DazedAndConfused
01-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Actually, she didn't understand the game but simply joined her friends and the populous for that matter in rooting for the Lakers. Until we married and moved to San Antonio, I taught her how the game is played and she saw first hand how the players conducted themselves here in this city vice the egotistical lives the Laker players truly lived in LaLa land and saw them for what they were.

Basketball players by and large are egotistical self-centered pricks.

tlongII
01-06-2008, 08:43 PM
TlongII, S'up!! I have respect for Portland, but not as much as the Trailblazers of the 90's. You guys have a way to go but I feel it's just a matter of time. Your front office has some serious issues that have purposely put Portland on the QT up until now. Once Oden is back next year, I think it's all a matter of chemistry and how they accept their roles. Remember, it's not the games teams play one another during the regular season, but rather how well they fair in a seven game series. The Rose Garden is one heck of a place.

Welcome to the forum lonestr. The Blazers of the early 90's were great as were the Blazers of the late 70's. The team we have now will surpass all Blazers teams of the past though. Oden could play this year, but we're not going to let him. The chemistry is already there and we're adding Greg Oden and Rudy Fernandez next year. We will win the 2009 NBA title.

lonestr
01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
D&C, I see your point. However, I don't see them that way. It's true for some players but I was fortunate to befriend Antonio Daniels and Malik Rose before they were shipped out and learned a few things from them regarding this same issue. What it came down to was that the ones who were indeed self-centered usually had serious issues with their front office and/or selfish style of play(Ballhogs).

lonestr
01-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Welcome to the forum lonestr. The Blazers of the early 90's were great as were the Blazers of the late 70's. The team we have now will surpass all Blazers teams of the past though. Oden could play this year, but we're not going to let him. The chemistry is already there and we're adding Greg Oden and Rudy Fernandez next year. We will win the 2009 NBA title.

Man, that would be great. I'd like to see a Blazers/Spurs matchup in the WC Championship than a Suns/Spurs, Mavs/Spurs, or a Lakers/Spurs matchup just so that we can see a change of scenery. :clap

Spurs in 7 of course.

DynastyBuilder
01-06-2008, 08:55 PM
James White!

Ime Udoka!
Darius Washington!

bigfundamental21
01-06-2008, 11:00 PM
Welcome to SpursTalk, where the best fans in the world get together to talk Spurs!

Glad to have you, lonestr.

Fabricio Oberto
01-06-2008, 11:11 PM
James White!

Ime Udoka!

Darius Washington!
Fabricio Oberto?

remingtonbo2001
01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
welcome :)

lonestr
01-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I was in a heated debate with a Wolves fan about how Boston will win the title. I told him that it was not certain on account that Boston has not played a seven game series with a strong team. He pointed out Garnett's skills as well as Allen's contribution. That doesn't tell me anything since these men have monumental issues and history with the Spurs. If anyone can get under any of the players skin it just so happen to be the Spurs for these particular two men. He touted individual strengths and I reminded him of team chemistry. He continued to push tandem and I parried with experience of play. I hate it when people only see the star factor of a team and immediately claim championship. John retorted that Boston has beaten Detroit and Houston and it was a sure thing that Boston would slice through the elite in the Western Conference. I told him regular season games are totally different than playoff games. I don't think Doc Rivers is savvy enough to outcoach Pop in the playoff considering that San Antonio gives fits to anyone they face. I consider San Antonio the Rocky Balboa of the NBA. You think you got the Spurs made then the final bell rings and you just got whaled upon. You can only hope that you had more points on the boards in the end because only then do you realize that it's the first game of seven.