PDA

View Full Version : Elson Status Poll

AFBlue
01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Just curious what you think of Elson essentially being out of the rotation...

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I have a gut feeling he's being traded soon.

Russ
01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
I have a gut feeling he's being traded soon.
I hope not.

Spurs Brazil
01-06-2008, 07:11 PM
He's playing bad

meta2007
01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I think the spurs still need him.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
he's gonna be needed when the time comes to play the celtics and pistons. he's long and quick and can definitely keep garnett and sheed busy.

Spurs Brazil
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
roster fodder until he walks at end of season

m33p0
01-06-2008, 07:18 PM
he's gonna be needed when the time comes to play the celtics and pistons. he's long and quick and can definitely keep garnett and sheed busy.

AFBlue
01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
Personally I think the Spurs will try to trade him, but I'm not sure they get anyone to sniff...

some_user86
01-06-2008, 07:19 PM

His defense is not good enough to accomplish that goal.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Dead On Arrival.

Hemotivo
01-06-2008, 07:24 PM
roster fodder until he walks at end of season

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Elson for Ramon Sessions? :spin

Bruno
01-06-2008, 07:41 PM
The reason of Elson beign out of the rotation is quite simple : he is Spurs worse bigman on the active roster and as 5th bigman, he didn't get playtime.

I don't see Spurs really trying to trade Elson.
Elson has a role on this team. Beside of him, Spurs have only 2 centers : Oberto who is quite foul prone and Duncan who should stay away of foul troubles. Spurs need Elson's 6 fouls to give. Elson can also be midly useful in some matchups.

Elson won't be on the trading block but if Spurs a good deal and need to send a contract to match salaries in a trade, Elson will be the first to be traded. If Elson is traded, Spurs will need to find someone to play his role : it could be the player who come in the trade, a free agent or even Mahinmi (unlikely because he is still too raw).

Obstructed_View
01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
No centers in the rotation = early playoff exit.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 09:14 PM
His defense is not good enough to accomplish that goal.
good enough to keep duncan from having to guard garnett or sheed for most of the game. unless the spurs could bring in someone who could fill that role, elson stays.

some_user86
01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
good enough to keep duncan from having to guard garnett or sheed for most of the game. unless the spurs could bring in someone who could fill that role, elson stays.

Not even close. It would become a layup drill, or Tim would be in foul trouble for trying to clean up Elson's mistakes. I think the rotation in your scenario would most likely involve a healthy dose of Oberto, Bonner, and Horry without Elson (similar to what we have now). Pop appears to be trusting Bonner more lately (despite what you and I may think about him).

boutons_
01-06-2008, 09:42 PM
Elson hasn't show any more than he showed in 3 years at Denver.

He's just not an NBA player from the neck up.

td4mvp21
01-06-2008, 09:43 PM
I hope he's traded but we aren't going to get much in return unless we package other people.

m33p0
01-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Not even close. It would become a layup drill, or Tim would be in foul trouble for trying to clean up Elson's mistakes. I think the rotation in your scenario would most likely involve a healthy dose of Oberto, Bonner, and Horry without Elson (similar to what we have now). Pop appears to be trusting Bonner more lately (despite what you and I may think about him).

true. i'm hoping pop would give him one easy instruction that he could follow.

pop to elson: "just keep your dumbass between garnett/sheed and the rim, got it?"

slayermin
01-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Horry hasn't played at all until recently. I think it's c.

itzsoweezee
01-06-2008, 10:33 PM
regardless of anything else, he's better than horry. so i'm hoping the reason is "sacraficing PT so Horry can get jumpstarted and he'll return in a bit".

and bad defense can't be the explanation, because bonner is really fucking horrible on defense. at least elson can get a shot block once in a while. bonner couldn't guard anyone to save his life.

timvp
01-06-2008, 10:45 PM
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2007/10/15/067199.1-lg.jpg

A return to Elson's roots.

Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Spurminator
01-06-2008, 11:30 PM
All I know is I got a Spurs calendar for Christmas and Elson has TWO MONTHS... stupid.

some_user86
01-06-2008, 11:33 PM
regardless of anything else, he's better than horry. so i'm hoping the reason is "sacraficing PT so Horry can get jumpstarted and he'll return in a bit".

and bad defense can't be the explanation, because bonner is really fucking horrible on defense. at least elson can get a shot block once in a while. bonner couldn't guard anyone to save his life.

I think some people here are seriously overestimating how good Elson is. Also, are people missing how much Pop is playing Bonner? If the answer was C, Pop would have sacrificed Bonner's minutes to allow Horry some time to play (given that they play the same position and given that some people believe that Elson's D is better than Bonner's D). The fact that this hasn't occurred and given how much Pop is continuously praising Bonner in the media (MySA articles), I think it's evident that Elson has lost his spot in the rotation for good (or until the next injury to a big occurs). That said, the answer is probably B (at least that's what I voted earlier). Given the rash of injuries going around, and the lack of available big men that know the Spurs system compared to swingmen that know the system (read: Toros), Elson is good to keep around until the end of the season.

remingtonbo2001
01-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Elson is injured. He hasn't shown, in practice, to be capable of maximum production.
I surprised by the ignorance of many posters. Elson isn't a terrible player. By the statements made, it appears some believe Elson couldn't even crack the starting 5 of the Torro's roster. LISTEN. It takes time to learn our system on the defensive end, especially the post position. I would expect mistakes from Elson, that usually occurs when your learning, unless your a prodidgy like Duncan. He is finally finding a comfort level on the offensive end, hopefully he will come along defensively soon.

I think we were spoiled by Oberto's quick adaptability on the defensive end. However, the team enviroment between Oberto and Elson were drastically different. Coach Karl isn't a defensive mastermind in my opinion. I think George Karl and the enviroment in Denver setback Elson significantly. He does have the ability to become a defensive asset on our team. Don't give up on him. Not yet.

some_user86
01-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Elson is injured. He hasn't shown, in practice, to be capable of maximum production.
I surprised by the ignorance of many posters. Elson isn't a terrible player. By the statements made, it appears some believe Elson couldn't even crack the starting 5 of the Torro's roster. LISTEN. It takes time to learn our system on the defensive end, especially the post position. I would expect mistakes from Elson, that usually occurs when your learning, unless your a prodidgy like Duncan. He is finally finding a comfort level on the offensive end, hopefully he will come along defensively soon.

I think we were spoiled by Oberto's quick adaptability on the defensive end. However, the team enviroment between Oberto and Elson were drastically different. Coach Karl isn't a defensive mastermind in my opinion. I think George Karl and the enviroment in Denver setback Elson significantly. He does have the ability to become a defensive asset on our team. Don't give up on him. Not yet.

It's a difference in level of faith, not ignorance. Elson hasn't proven anything besides a nice showing in the preseason to show he has progressed. Since the preseason, he has regressed. I don't think he is on track for a second year player in the Spurs system.