PDA

View Full Version : New interests?....

Duff McCartney
01-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Since we started a new year I was wondering if their is anything anyone has recently gotten interested in or would like to get interested in soon?

About a year and a half ago...I really got interested in religion. I'm not a religious person and it has always fascinated me. Reading about everything is just fascinating to me. I've begun reading a Bible and Koran to understand more about things. Even reading about Mormonism fascinates me...mainly because I think Mormonism is important to religion and humanity in general...but that's not something I think should be discussed here.

So have you gotten into anything lately that you want to share?

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-06-2008, 07:32 PM
http://www.spreadshirt.com/users/35000/34868/products/34868_1401635_1_huge.jpg

Been contemplating learning Japanese.

iminlakerland
01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
i've really gotten into ironing, seriously! It is so therapeutic :)...my friends think im crazy!

E20
01-06-2008, 07:38 PM
I'm trying to learn how to play the gee-tar.

katyon6th
01-06-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm learning to cook.

God help us all.

KEDA
01-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I think Im going to start collecting sneakers.

oh, wait

angel_luv
01-06-2008, 08:42 PM
i've really gotten into ironing, seriously! It is so therapeutic :)...my friends think im crazy!

Your friends should support your interest by donating their wrinkled clothing.
I know I would were you my neighbor. :)

Duff McCartney
01-06-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm trying to learn how to play the gee-tar.

That's a good new interest. Playing guitar is so much fun.

iminlakerland
01-07-2008, 04:22 AM
Your friends should support your interest by donating their wrinkled clothing.
I know I would were you my neighbor. :)

lol the other day i even asked my dad if he needed any shirts or pants ironed...unfortunately he didnt :(...i dont know it feels so good to iron out wrinkles and see them dissappear. If only problems in life were that easy to get rid of lol

Barbarian
01-07-2008, 05:12 AM
just took up model rocketry. Shit is fun. It's like new years all year long and you get your rocket back after you launch it.

Sapphire
01-07-2008, 07:22 AM
We haven't started yet, but we're interested in geocaching. Looks like fun, and it will get us out of the house. We are still shopping around for a GPS unit. I think we're settling for a Garmin Etrex.

travis2
01-07-2008, 07:22 AM

Ironing always left me kinda flat...

AFBlue
01-07-2008, 08:06 AM
Seeing as how a new president will be elected in 10 months, I have significantly increased my interest in politics.

Whereas before I was content to watch Mike & Mike reruns on ESPN 8 "The Ocho" before, now I find myself actually forgoing sports programs/games to watch political shows.

For example, I watched the debates Saturday night instead of football...mostly b/c I could care less who earned the right to get pummelled next week.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Since we started a new year I was wondering if their is anything anyone has recently gotten interested in or would like to get interested in soon?

About a year and a half ago...I really got interested in religion. I'm not a religious person and it has always fascinated me. Reading about everything is just fascinating to me. I've begun reading a Bible and Koran to understand more about things. Even reading about Mormonism fascinates me...mainly because I think Mormonism is important to religion and humanity in general...but that's not something I think should be discussed here.

So have you gotten into anything lately that you want to share?

Learning about religion probably answers for alot of what goes on in the world. But is that where you learned your Ben Gurion sig from? Sorry, it just seems a little "ironic" to me! :lol

Duff McCartney
01-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Learning about religion probably answers for alot of what goes on in the world. But is that where you learned your Ben Gurion sig from? Sorry, it just seems a little "ironic" to me! :lol

I heard that signature when I was learning about Israel/Palestine in school..but why do you say it's ironic?

I know that religion is the cause of alot of problems in the world. But that's probably one of the reasons why it interests me.

mrsmaalox
01-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I heard that signature when I was learning about Israel/Palestine in school..but why do you say it's ironic?

I know that religion is the cause of alot of problems in the world. But that's probably one of the reasons why it interests me.

Well mainly because of my incorrect assumption that you are on a "spiritual quest". And also because I believe the Israel/Palestine issue is more of a "real estate" problem than a religious one, that's all.

Duff McCartney
01-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Actually I think it is a religious one partly. But not from the sense of Jew vs Muslim...more like Jew vs the whole world.

Well that's neither here nor there to discuss.

ploto
01-07-2008, 07:02 PM
lol the other day i even asked my dad if he needed any shirts or pants ironed...unfortunately he didnt :(...i dont know it feels so good to iron out wrinkles and see them dissappear. If only problems in life were that easy to get rid of lol
It is kind of like the joy I get when I clean-- yes, clean! Something was all dusty and now it looks all nice and pretty- instant results!

angel_luv
01-07-2008, 07:25 PM
It is kind of like the joy I get when I clean-- yes, clean! Something was all dusty and now it looks all nice and pretty- instant results!

You sound like my room mate. :)

My room mate is awesome- cleans better than anyone I have ever met, is super nice and cooks great to.

All you available guys should seriously have me introduce you to her. A great catch that one. :)

Shelly
01-07-2008, 09:18 PM

My room mate is awesome- cleans better than anyone I have ever met, is super nice and cooks great to.

All you available guys should seriously have me introduce you to her. A great catch that one. :)

Heck...I'll propose to her if she loves cleaning that much! :lol

thispego
01-07-2008, 10:09 PM

how ugly is she?

Duff McCartney
01-07-2008, 10:23 PM
how ugly is she?

I'm sure alot of guys who read this thread were thinking the same thing.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-08-2008, 01:54 AM

I was thinking: "but I like to do the cooking!" :lmao

I'm taking up meditation and tai chi, and maybe joining the local volunteer emergency service.

Cycling has been a revelation for the last couple of years too.

T Park
01-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Seeing what I can do to be greener.

angel_luv
01-08-2008, 11:07 AM
how ugly is she?

She's beautiful, actually. Want an intro? :)

angel_luv
01-08-2008, 11:08 AM

You guys are lame. :lol

Soul_Patch
01-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Things i have really taken an interest in lately.

1. religion. ive always sort of been a skeptic, but ive worked around a couple of pretty devout christians in the past two jobs, so i think someone is trying to tell me something. I recently started attending church, and i am finding i really like it.

2. My upcoming son. He isnt born yet, but i think im taking a great interest in learning how to become a good dad. The anticipation is killing me, but it has consumed my interest as of late.

3. My new boat. I havent got to use it as much as i would like, but it is sitting and waiting till things calm down. until then ive been stocking up on Texas Saltwater Magazine, joined CCA, bought a few rods and reels and fishing gear...and am really looking forward to this spring and summer.

angel_luv
01-08-2008, 11:25 AM
That's awesome Soul Patch.

I am happy you found a church you like and congrats on your son! :)

thispego
01-08-2008, 01:32 PM
She's beautiful, actually. Want an intro? :)
post some pictures first, you are too nice to say anyone isn't beautiful

Ballcox
01-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Started taking yoga classes. At 37 I've noticed a definite decline in flexibility and how quickly I can bounce back from exercise, always heard yoga helps with this so I'm giving it a try.

I've noticed improvements already.

ploto
01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
1. religion. ive always sort of been a skeptic, but ive worked around a couple of pretty devout christians in the past two jobs, so i think someone is trying to tell me something. I recently started attending church, and i am finding i really like it.

2. My upcoming son. He isnt born yet, but i think im taking a great interest in learning how to become a good dad. The anticipation is killing me, but it has consumed my interest as of late.

I am wondering if there might be a connection between these two.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Seeing what I can do to be greener.

I can help with that.

First thing is INFORMATION, to work out how much of everything you consume - check your petrol, water, energy and food bills for the last year and learn your consumption patterns. If you don't keep receipts, start doing so and putting it all on a spreadsheet.

Second step is ACTION - working out where your household energy/water is going (doing a proper audit of the behaviours that consume these things, and changing those behaviours), whether you can cut down on your car mileage by car pooling/catching the bus/riding a bike/walking, whether you are washing your clothes excessively, etc.

Then, you can start thinking about embodied energy and water - that is, the water and energy used to grow/make and transport products to you... do you really need to buy X or Y, can you buy it second hand or fix it, etc.

There are tons of websites out there to give you simple, practical tips for living more sustainably, when I have more time I'll come back to this thread and put some links in.

Just an example of how easy it is - in 18 months I have cut my petrol consumption by 75% (tank a week to tank a month), electricity by 60%, and water by 30% (although I didn't use much of that to begin with), JUST BY CHANGING SIMPLE BEHAVIOURS. I haven't even invested in new technology! That comes next. If the whole developed world did this we wouldn't have a looming global energy or fresh water crisis.

angel_luv
01-09-2008, 12:06 AM
post some pictures first, you are too nice to say anyone isn't beautiful

I'll bring her to a gtg. :)

Celeb. Junkie
01-09-2008, 12:09 AM
So will I, my momma is bad ass. Can you say, Diane Keaton?