PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs notebook: Scoring woes trouble Popovich

some_user86
01-07-2008, 01:18 AM
Spurs notebook: Scoring woes trouble Popovich

Web Posted: 01/06/2008 10:22 PM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES — Gregg Popovich owns a well-earned reputation as a defensive-minded coach.
His Spurs tenure has been hallmarked by teams that, when the going gets tough, can keep other teams from scoring.

"That's who we are," Popovich said, "and that's what we have to do."

Yet even Popovich has been troubled by the Spurs' recent inability to put the ball in the basket.

Sunday's 88-82 victory over the Clippers marked the third time in six games that the Spurs have failed to score at least 90 points. They went 3-3 in those games, despite holding opponents to a league-best 85 points per game over that span.

"We haven't generated much offense," Popovich said. "The defense is good. We just can't put it in the hole at the other end."

After averaging 100 points over the first 21 games of the season, the Spurs have surpassed the century mark just twice in the past 11 contests.

Even with Manu Ginobili back in uniform, the Spurs' shooting and scoring woes continued Sunday.

The Spurs shot barely 40 percent from the field — 30 of 74 — and missed 15 of 18 3-point tries.

Duncan banged up: The feel-good reunion of the Spurs' "Big Three" almost didn't survive the afternoon.

With 1:27 left in the fourth quarter, Tim Duncan went down hard after banging knees with the Clippers' Corey Maggette on a pick-and-roll. He remained in the game, but eventually left the Staples Center sporting a noticeable limp.

Even so, Duncan remained hopeful he would be able to play at Golden State tonight.

"It went numb for a little bit," Duncan said of his left knee. "It will probably swell up, but we'll see how it is tomorrow."

Finley or Rodman? Michael Finley scored just three points against the Clippers, snapping a string of 10 consecutive games with at least 10 points. Instead, he began a new double-digit string in another category.

Finley pulled down a season-high 11 rebounds, and kept alive several others by tipping the ball to teammates.

"He was a demon on the glass," Popovich said. "He not only rebounded, but he did that volleyball stuff I've never seen him do before."

Between friends: The Spurs' Robert Horry enjoyed his reunion with the Clippers' Sam Cassell a bit more than Cassell did.

Horry and Cassell spent three seasons together in Houston, teaming up to win NBA titles in 1994 and 1995. That didn't stop Horry from ripping the ball from Cassell on back-to-back possessions to start the second half Sunday.

"I had to tell him, 'Come on, you know better than that, man,'" Horry said.

[email protected]

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.010708.spurs_notebook.EN.283b9b3.html

one4all
01-07-2008, 06:48 AM
not good at all. With our big 3 coming in and out of line up so frequently, we are having some trouble in O executions. Our O was great at the start of the season. We were one of the highest scoring team!!

m33p0
01-07-2008, 06:53 AM
not surprising when the spurs field a crew of vaughn, bowen, udoka, bonner, horry and/or oberto as we witnessed quite a few times during this injury-fest stretch.

AFBlue
01-07-2008, 07:05 AM
It's disturbing because it makes you realize the Spurs have added nothing but complimentary players around the big 3 and have no one to go to in times when they need instant offense outside of those 3.

But, it's not very significant trend-wise given the number of injuries and shuffled lineups lately. Now that the Spurs have most of their guys back, I would anticipate them settling into a groove and going forward from here.

m33p0
01-07-2008, 08:55 AM
its been the trend in recent years. spurs come out of the block well, winning alot of early games with their offense. followed by alot of losses in december and january realizing that defense is what characterizes this team which they begin to flex by late february and all through march and early april. then sacrifice the last few remaining games to get ready for the playoffs. and because of the "lay-off", they promptly lose the first game of the playoffs then sweep the next four games.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-07-2008, 09:13 AM
I think the injuries have upset the, let's call it "passing rhythm", of the team. Early in the season, with all the players fresh and injury free, we were moving the ball effortlessly around the court, picking teams apart with passes for easy buckets.

The upset in the rotations caused by the injuries has dampened the passing to the point that most of the good passes I've seen in the last 10 games haven't been 4-5-6 pass sets for layups, but 1-pass kickouts to 3-pt shooters (who hit at a far lower %). Also, there has been almost no interior TD-Fab passing (a feature of the playoffs last year).

For mine, it's about not moving the ball with the efficiency that they did before the injuries... although maybe the D of other teams has also improved as the season has progressed to exacerbate the situation.

101A
01-07-2008, 09:22 AM
its been the trend in recent years. spurs come out of the block well, winning alot of early games with their offense. followed by alot of losses in december and january realizing that defense is what characterizes this team which they begin to flex by late february and all through march and early april. then sacrifice the last few remaining games to get ready for the playoffs. and because of the "lay-off", they promptly lose the first game of the playoffs then sweep the next four games.Gold Star for you.

BonnerDynasty
01-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Spurs rely too much on 3's and J's because no one other than Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili can score in the paint on a consistent basis.

If only we could get a big who could actually post someone up.

remingtonbo2001
01-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Spurs rely too much on 3's and J's because no one other than Duncan, Parker, and Ginobili can score in the paint on a consistent basis.

If only we could get a big who could actually post someone up.

You mean a low post threat that will come off the bench. You don't want a low-post threat on the floor the same time as Duncan.

Hmmm...I think we drafted him this past year....TIAGO!

Patient....A healthy Spurs roster will not be beaten come postseason, at least not from what the competition has shown thus far.
Our low-post threat will come next season.

Fabbs
01-07-2008, 12:54 PM
A breakthru!
Of mammoth proportions.

Pop willing to address need for increased offense. :blah :clap

Supreme_Being
01-07-2008, 01:08 PM
its been the trend in recent years. spurs come out of the block well, winning alot of early games with their offense. followed by alot of losses in december and january realizing that defense is what characterizes this team which they begin to flex by late february and all through march and early april. then sacrifice the last few remaining games to get ready for the playoffs. and because of the "lay-off", they promptly lose the first game of the playoffs then sweep the next four games.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Dave McNulla
01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
the spurs are designed to create shots for three point shooters. duncan in the post, their pick and roll (once teams start to go under the screener), and slashing to the basket all create shots for outside shooters. it's the price defenses have to pay for trying to stop duncan, parker, and ginobili.

now, teams start to improve their D as the season goes on, they start getting better rotations. they start to anticipate the pass out to the perimeter, and even the ball going around the perimeter. perimeter players start to have less time to get their shot off. i remember in 2002, that was a big problem for guys like steve smith and danny ferry. they couldn't get that shot off in time when lakers had good rotations.

the counter to that has been fake the three point shot, dribble in and take a shorter shot (or go to the basket) which i've seen bonner doing, bowen doing, brent barry was doing that before he got injured. they've just been getting another defender in their face at that point and have not been getting good passes to open guys at that point.

spurs just need to keep adjusting to the adjustments. i think they will. i'm glad they face resistance now, it gets them ready for later.

howbouthemspurs
01-07-2008, 01:16 PM
This is all Beno's fault!