PDA

View Full Version : Blazers' unlikely rise mystifying

tlongII
01-07-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/593/story/368584.html

By MICHAEL WALLACE
[email protected]

Maybe it's the youthful energy. Perhaps it is a combination of talent and fortunate timing. Or maybe they are just restless and running at a high level when other teams are down, disjointed and disappointed.

There has to be a reasonable explanation for what is going on in Portland, where the Trail Blazers have become the biggest surprise, if not the biggest story, in the league.

It is just difficult to find one.

We sort of expected Boston to do what it's doing. We are not shocked that Phoenix, San Antonio, Dallas and Detroit are doing what they always do this time of year. Not even Orlando caught many off guard with its strong start to the season.

But to see Portland poking its nose into the business of the NBA's elite like this once seemed about as far-fetched as the team was far from the playoffs when it posted the league's worst record just two seasons ago.

The Blazers finished 2007 on a 13-game winning streak, the longest of any team this season and second-longest in franchise history. They extended that momentum into the New Year with an impressive double-overtime victory last week at Chicago. They entered the weekend having won 15 of their past 16.

And if you can name their starting five without a performance-enhancing search engine, it almost would be as impressive a feat as the one the Blazers are pulling off on the court.

Greg Oden? Nope. Portland was first in its division to win 20 games despite playing without the No. 1 overall pick in June's draft. Oden had season-ending knee surgery before his rookie season started.

Jarret Jack? Nope. Its 2005 lottery pick has been benched in favor of Miami native Steve Blake, who signed as a free agent last summer.

Zach Randolph? Nope. Last season's leading scorer and rebounder now anchors the dysfunctional outfit in New York that poses as the Knicks.

Not even Blazers coach Nate McMillan has exactly figured out what has led to his team's rapid turnaround and rise in recent weeks.

''We're having the time of our life right now,'' guard Brandon Roy told reporters last week. ``I was talking to Coach Nate, and he said he has never been a part of something like this.''

If the Blazers are playing way above their heads, it is because Roy has elevated to All-Star status, averaging 20 points, seven rebounds and six assists in his second season, while drawing comparisons to Dwyane Wade. It is because natural power forward LaMarcus Aldridge is not only filling in at center for Oden, but also filling up the boxscore every night. It is because karma and chemistry breed confidence.

''They're playing together, the effort is there, everybody is ready to play,'' McMillan said. ``And different guys are contributing every night.''

Portland's streak has included victories over playoff contenders Utah, New Orleans, Golden State, Denver and Toronto. But is this level of midseason success a fluke or a foundation for a legitimate playoff pursuit? It is still too early to know. But how the Blazers perform this month, when they play 10 of 12 on the road, will be a telling sign.

remingtonbo2001
01-07-2008, 06:40 PM
I think Aldridge has been the true X-Factor for your Blazer's this year.

m33p0
01-07-2008, 08:24 PM
the early start to training camp, days before actual training camp, initiated by brandon roy, is serving the blazers well at this point.

Armando
01-07-2008, 09:16 PM
the early start to training camp, days before actual training camp, initiated by brandon roy, is serving the blazers well at this point.

And to think if McHale had any sense in draft picks the Wolves could have had Roy instead of Randy Foye. What can you expect from a GM that picked I can't remember his name over Josh Howard.

m33p0
01-07-2008, 09:37 PM
And to think if McHale had any sense in draft picks the Wolves could have had Roy instead of Randy Foye. What can you expect from a GM that picked I can't remember his name over Josh Howard.
there was kiki vande-whathisname picking some nobody over amare when he was the gm in denver. mchale is not alone in this.

Fillmoe
01-08-2008, 12:47 AM
magnets

Sportcamper
01-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Amazing how one optimistic fan can have such a positive influence on a team…
If they can make penicillin out of moldy bread, we can make something out of this ragged Blazers Franchise. .. Tlong...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38430000/jpg/_38430203_fan300.jpg

BacktoBasics
01-08-2008, 11:16 AM
I really think a lot of it has to do with the attitude change at the head coaching postion. He's been quoted as saying that this year he's moved away from drill instructor to teacher more so than years past. I really think that kind of attitude can make a big difference. Its a young team not a vet team.

Plus the attitude the team has as a whole is much better, maybe its because they expected Oden to be the savior I don't know but at best he'll bring rebounding and interior defense which will make a ton of difference. Should free up Aldridge considerably. It just seems they didn't abort that success momentum when they lost Oden.

DOMINATOR
01-08-2008, 12:00 PM
their all on the juice!