PDA

View Full Version : Quote Etiquette

SequSpur
01-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Do ya really have to quote the whole damn thing? I mean, we can scroll up and read it....

Damn...

angel_luv
01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
I like when people quote the whole thing when the thread is more than one page so I understand the context of their statement.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Do ya really have to quote the whole damn thing? I mean, we can scroll up and read it....

Damn...

OK.

ChumpDumper
01-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Do ya rYes.

Always.

Dex
01-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Damn...

I actually agree with sequ on this :lol

I like when people quote the whole thing when the thread is more than one page so I understand the context of their statement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SequSpur

Damn...

OK.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SequSpur

Do ya r

Yes.

Always.

Quoting is a privilege. Not a right.

urunobili
01-08-2008, 12:16 PM
Sequ's got a point here...

Kori Ellis
01-08-2008, 12:23 PM
I agree with Sequ. I can't stand it when people quote the whole thing, if it's longer than a few sentences.

I usually leave the first two to three sentences, delete out the rest and add "..."

But I know most people won't take the time to do that.

CubanMustGo
01-08-2008, 12:27 PM
[...] I usually leave the first two to three sentences, delete out the rest and add "..."

People who are writers know how to quote, including the use of the ellipsis. Unfortunately it's mostly a lost art among non-writers.

ploto
01-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I agree with Sequ. I can't stand it when people quote the whole thing, if it's longer than a few sentences.

I usually leave the first two to three sentences, delete out the rest and add "..."

I especially hate when people quote an entire article simply to make a comment on it. We know they are commenting on the article when it is what the thread is about. If they want to comment on one part or one quote from it, then just quote that part.

Kori Ellis
01-08-2008, 01:18 PM
That's what drives me crazy, ploto.

Especially when the comment is "good article." :lol

FromWayDowntown
01-08-2008, 01:24 PM
I agree with SequSpur on this: the long quotes (especially where the same post is quoted repeatedly in the same thread) are really distracting and make me want to stop reading.

Pick out what you're responding to, delete the rest and then post what you've got to say -- please.

smeagol
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm a big fan of the responses that break up quotes, a la whottt , MB and cd

MannyIsGod
01-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm a big fan of the responses that break up quotes, a la whottt , MB and cdI'm not because you always get resonses on points that are taken out of the context of the entire article. Not every sentence in a post needs a counter sentence rebuttal. Make your point in a cohrent argument and respond in such a way, not a point by point list.

urunobili
01-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm a big fan we all know....

of the responses that break up quotes this way?

ala whottt , MB and cd so just y'all know...
:frying:

ChumpDumper
01-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm not because you always get resonses on points that are taken out of the context of the entire article.I always tip the pizza guy. Makes me feel like a big shot.
Not every sentence in a post needs a counter sentence rebuttal.--e.g., the sentence I just quoted.
Make your point in a cohrent argument and respond in such a way, not a point by point list.I usually spend so much time editing to separate the quotes, I forget what I'm arguing about.

Spurminator
01-08-2008, 02:37 PM
I like to quote entire articles and then hide funny words and phrases inside the quoted passage in case anyone is paying attention.

freemeat
01-08-2008, 02:42 PM
I like to quote entire articles and then hide funny words and phrases inside the quoted passage in case anyone who eats poop like me is paying attention.

Awesome!

foodie2
01-08-2008, 02:55 PM
People who are writers know how to quote, including the use of the ellipsis. Unfortunately it's mostly a lost art among non-writers.

If you are looking for good writing, a message board, I've found, is not the place to look for it. I'm not saying we need to have literary excellence, but grammar and punctuation go a long way toward readability and making oneself understood.

duncan228
01-08-2008, 03:03 PM
...but grammar and punctuation go a long way toward readability and making oneself understood.

I second that.

Using capital letters at the beginning of a sentence helps. I find the all lowercase letters posts really hard to read.
Also, if a post is long, breaking it up with a space is helpful. Otherwise it can read like one long run on sentence and it's easy to get lost in the middle of it.

I agree, a message board is not the place to expect good writing, and I know criticizing people for spelling or grammar issues is considered in bad form.
But like you say, if you want your take to be understood a little effort helps a lot.

Oh...This doesn't apply for people who don't speak English as their first language. They put in the effort to post in English, so I'll put in the effort to understand them.

Dex
01-08-2008, 03:12 PM
http://www.geocities.com/motivatedmayo/BennetBrauer.jpg

freemeat
01-08-2008, 03:13 PM
Trying to explain the importance of grammar and punctuation on a message board for a professional sporting franchise reminded me of this.

If you don't know how to do it already, give up.

5ZoGf47Z3aY

SequSpur
01-08-2008, 03:26 PM
:lmao

SequSpur
01-08-2008, 04:13 PM
I view this forum on my treo sometimes and the quote thing and the stupid signatures/banners just slows it down.

urunobili
01-08-2008, 04:16 PM
I view this forum on my treo sometimes and the quote thing and the stupid signatures/banners just slows it down.
damn man you are a junkie! :sequ

whottt
01-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Damn...

Translation:

It's all about me...

Damn...

Fixed

whottt
01-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't really break the whole post down and quote it...I usually only quote the parts I want to respond to in the context I want to respond to them...

timvp
01-08-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't really breakToo bad we can't say the same thing about Brent Barry.

exstatic
01-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Sequ wants short quotes? That's a shock. Oh, and you can turn off sigs, lollypop guild refugee. Treo browsing. What a freak.

ShoogarBear
01-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I love Taco Bell

whottt
01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Too bad we can't say the same thing about Brent Barry.

Too bad we can't say the same thing about our offense without Brent Barry.

ShoogarBear
01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Oh, good. Haven't had one of these in a while.

:reading

whottt
01-08-2008, 08:06 PM
So...who did you root for before the Spurs were around?

m33p0
01-08-2008, 08:15 PM
... Unfortunately it's mostly a lost art among non-writers.

it can't be a lost art if it never existed in the first place. :lol

ShoogarBear
01-08-2008, 08:18 PM
So...who did you root for before the Spurs were around?http://virginiasquires.homestead.com/files/runningsquirebumpersticker.jpg

http://www.michaeldoret.com/doret/artwork/knicks.gif

whottt
01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
http://virginiasquires.homestead.com/files/runningsquirebumpersticker.jpg

http://www.michaeldoret.com/doret/artwork/knicks.gif

Cool...was wondering.

ShoogarBear
01-08-2008, 08:51 PM
My family moved to SA the summer of 1973. The Spurs came down about a month after we arrived. After Earl Foreman (who made Peter Holt look like Diamond Jim) sold Gervin to Angelo Drossos, I figured it was fate and gave up on the Squires.

SequSpur
01-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Sequ wants short quotes? That's a shock. Oh, and you can turn off sigs, lollypop guild refugee. Treo browsing. What a freak.

blow me.

SequSpur
02-15-2008, 07:29 PM
bump.... :rolleyes

txstr1986
02-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Awesome!
:lol

Obstructed_View
02-15-2008, 10:18 PM

Damn...
So if your scroll up works fine, why can't you just scroll down? Oh yeah, then you wouldn't be able to start another thread.

spurster
02-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Sequ cares about etiquette? Next we'll hear that he likes quiche.

ClingingMars
02-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I second that.

Using capital letters at the beginning of a sentence helps. I find the all lowercase letters posts really hard to read.
Also, if a post is long, breaking it up with a space is helpful. Otherwise it can read like one long run on sentence and it's easy to get lost in the middle of it.

I agree, a message board is not the place to expect good writing, and I know criticizing people for spelling or grammar issues is considered in bad form.
But like you say, if you want your take to be understood a little effort helps a lot.

Oh...This doesn't apply for people who don't speak English as their first language. They put in the effort to post in English, so I'll put in the effort to understand them.

what she said.

-Mars

anakha
02-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Sequ cares about etiquette? Next we'll hear that he likes quiche.

And what's wrong with quiche? Love the stuff. :lol

genomefreak13
02-16-2008, 12:11 AM
I think the purpose of quoting is to emphasize the statement we want to convey or get a response off. So quoting the whole thing doesn't really fit well to its purpose.

Instead of emphasizing, it makes it more confusing since the reader wouldn't know which part of it to reply on. Which leads to the other problem of people talking out of topic or context.

Hope we guys agree on this rule. It would really make life more easier and faster.

Solid D
02-16-2008, 12:42 AM
**** me.

Hardly etiquette, on any level.

SequSpur
07-11-2008, 09:42 AM
some of you need a refresher course.

picnroll
07-11-2008, 09:56 AM

Damn...

I agree. I prefer a synopsis in quotations like ...

Worthless SequSpur comment...
Maybe a tool like for bold, italics, underline for that one.

bigfish22
07-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Well while we're on the subject of etiquette, can we please use the Spurs forum for only SPURS-RELATED threads?!? Too many irrelevant threads going into the Spurs section that already have a forum created elsewhere on this very board where it would be better served.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-11-2008, 10:25 AM
Trying to explain the importance of grammar and punctuation on a message board for a professional sporting franchise reminded me of this.

If you don't know how to do it already, give up.

5ZoGf47Z3aY

Anthropomorphic toilets always freak me out.

urunobili
07-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Well while we're on the subject of etiquette, can we please use the Spurs forum for only SPURS-RELATED threads?!? Too many irrelevant threads going into the Spurs section that already have a forum created elsewhere on this very board where it would be better served.

:tu

wildbill2u
07-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Damn...

I agree. But I's sure like to know how some folks are able to isolate several sections out of a long post and answer them. Anyone with the answer to my total cluelessness send me a private message.

Behrooz24
07-11-2008, 11:18 AM
This pisses me off even more.

Damn...