PDA

View Full Version : Rankings, Playoff Predictors, Odds to win the title!

LakeShow
01-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I know they don't mean shit but they're always posted and discussed and I wondered why not this time? Hmmm, oh I see, Stein finally got off of the Spurs, Mavs and suns jock, like he should have long time ago.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2008&week=10

2007-08 Power Rankings: Week 10
RANK (LAST WK) TEAM REC. COMMENT
1 (2) Celtics 29-3 In each of the past three seasons, there's been 70-win talk with Phoenix, Detroit and then Dallas. But these Celts are the first team to last this long with only three losses since (gulp) the 72-win Bulls in 1995-96.
2 (1) Pistons 26-8 If the Pistons want No. 1 back right away, they can give us something to think about by winning in Dallas or San Antonio (or both) this week. Before losing to Boston, remember, Detroit had won 11 straight by nearly 17 ppg.
3 (6) Hornets 23-11 Chris Paul must be seething after failing to win First Trimester MVP honors in the West. How else to explain the venom he played with over the weekend in a big back-to-back road sweep of Golden State and Phoenix?
4 (5) Lakers 21-11 We've resisted putting the Lakers (or Hornets) above the Suns, Mavs and Spurs. But with the West powers ailing or inconsistent and L.A. at 14-5 since a 7-6 start, plus 2-0 vs. Phoenix, you can make the case for a week.
5 (4) Spurs 23-9 Duncan insists he's fine after colliding knee-to-knee with Corey Maggette. But Sunday's late hit, just as Manu returned to work, means SA still hasn't finished a game with its three best players intact since November.
6 (3) Suns 23-10 Our pal Paul Coro of The Arizona Republic has an idea why Suns fans are so edgy when their team leads the West with nine more road wins than home defeats. The reason: Phoenix is 1-6 against the West's top eight.
7 (8) Mavericks 23-11 Hard to believe Dallas is just 7-8 on the road after last season's 31-10. But some normalcy is creeping back into Mavsland: Dirk has been top scorer in nine straight after it happened just seven times in the first 25 games.
8 (7) Trail Blazers 21-13 Don't be so sure that the Blazers' seven-game trip will ruin the fairy tale. Portland is 5-1 on the road during this astonishing 16-1 run. And its only road losses since Thanksgiving were at Dallas, San Antonio and Utah.
9 (11) Nuggets 21-12 The Nuggets and Lakers became 20-game winners Friday night. Which means A) The West now has seven teams on a 50-win pace and B) Denver needs a 40-10 finish to uphold Melo and AI's preseason touts of 60 wins.
10 (9) Warriors 19-15 Did we jinx 'em? Fair question after the Warriors follow up Stephen Jackson's coronation as the West's First Trimester MVP with their first back-to-back losses (at Mavs, home to Hornets) since the 0-6 start Jack missed.
11 (10) Magic 22-13 The Magic don't have a road game in the West after Jan. 23. But that might not be such great news after they fell to 7-8 at home with Ls to Jersey and Houston by three points total . . . both with Tiger Woods in the house.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/powerranking

2007-2008 Hollinger Power Rankings
Intro and Method | FAQ | Comment | Send to friend | Marc Stein's Weekly NBA Power Rankings | Next 15 Teams >>

2007-2008 Hollinger Power Rankings
Hollinger Rank Rating Record Margin SOS Rec (L10) Mar (L10) SOS (L10) Streak H/A Div Conf Prev Rnk Prev Rat
112.341 26-8 +10.29 .497 9-1 +14.50 .565 Lost 1 16/18 1st 2nd 1 112.324
Last Game: BOS, L 85-92 | Next 2: @DAL (Wed), @SA (Thur) Full Schedule | Injuries | Transactions | Hollinger Stats
PistonPride653
The Pistons, 1-12, are the most talented team in the NBA.

Hollinger Rank Rating Record Margin SOS Rec (L10) Mar (L10) SOS (L10) Streak H/A Div Conf Prev Rnk Prev Rat
112.269 29-3 +12.97 .500 9-1 +10.30 .538 Won 9 17/15 1st 1st 2 112.269
Last Game: @DET, W 92-85 | Next 2: CHA (Wed), @NJ (Fri) Full Schedule | Injuries | Transactions | Hollinger Stats
scizzmo
The best thing about the Celtics having success is that the East has a couple teams that are legit. The Celts and Pistons can compete with any team from the West in a 7-game series

106.901 21-11 +5.78 .533 8-2 +8.80 .505 Won 2 18/14 2nd 6th 3 106.891
Last Game: IND, W 112-96 | Next 2: @MEM (Tues), @NOR (Wed) Full Schedule | Injuries | Transactions | Hollinger Stats
golamb
The team's success this year can be based upon a successful second unit, Bynum's emergence as a solid post player, and Odom being fairly healthy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/playoffodds?column=finals&sort=false

NBA Hollinger Playoff Odds 2007-08

Now this one was interesting. They have the favorites to be in the finals,

Boston
Detroit
LA?

How about odds to win the title? The spurs rank below LA, NO, Dal, Phx, Utah. Are they playing that badly?

Findog
01-08-2008, 03:32 PM
The Spurs are the champs and favorites until further notice, much as it pains me to say it. They might look vulnerable and not as sharp as they and their fans would like, but the season is a marathon, not a sprint. Still, top to bottom, the West is incredibly tough. I expect there will be separation as all the West teams start to play each other more.

LakeShow
01-08-2008, 03:44 PM
The Spurs are the champs and favorites until further notice, much as it pains me to say it. They might look vulnerable and not as sharp as they and their fans would like, but the season is a marathon, not a sprint. Still, top to bottom, the West is incredibly tough. I expect there will be separation as all the West teams start to play each other more.

I agree, the title is the Spurs until someone takes it away from them. Looks like a total disrespect for the Champs.

The west is loaded! I hope they all keep it up throughout the year. Makes for some great basketball.