PDA

View Full Version : What's this ....

bendmz
01-08-2008, 07:57 PM
Doesn't the city council have more important things to do that stick their nose in something they know nothing about ?????

Reported by: Jacqueline Ortiz
Email: [email protected]
Last Update: 6:16 pm

Print Story | Email Story

Accident Investigation We are learning more about what city leaders discussed in a private meeting about a crash victim left for dead.

Erica Smith was badly injured in a wreck last month. Paramedics thought she was dead. EMS workers pronounced her dead at the scene, but a medical examiner arrived more than an hour later to find a pulse. She was transported to the hospital. She died there the next day.

Paramedics who responded to the accident made statements at a closed door city council meeting on Monday.

"I can tell you the four paramedics involved in the scene -- we're looking into everything they're saying, their statements, into all the facts of the case," said Councilman Phil Cortez.

Officials at the fire department headquarters said this is an ongoing investigation. They plan to comment after a report is completed.
"We're just trying to determine what the next steps are to prevent something like this from happening again."

ShoogarBear
01-08-2008, 09:06 PM
I would hope that at some point, somebody outside of the fire department reviews what happened. Who would you suggest that be?

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Doesn't the city council have more important things to do that stick their nose in something they know nothing about ?????

Reported by: Jacqueline Ortiz
Email: [email protected]
Last Update: 6:16 pm

Print Story | Email Story

Accident Investigation We are learning more about what city leaders discussed in a private meeting about a crash victim left for dead.

Erica Smith was badly injured in a wreck last month. Paramedics thought she was dead. EMS workers pronounced her dead at the scene, but a medical examiner arrived more than an hour later to find a pulse. She was transported to the hospital. She died there the next day.

Paramedics who responded to the accident made statements at a closed door city council meeting on Monday.

"I can tell you the four paramedics involved in the scene -- we're looking into everything they're saying, their statements, into all the facts of the case," said Councilman Phil Cortez.

Officials at the fire department headquarters said this is an ongoing investigation. They plan to comment after a report is completed.
"We're just trying to determine what the next steps are to prevent something like this from happening again."

So which group of citizens chosen by their peers to look out for the best interest of San Antonians would you prefer to evaluate the performance of a service provided by the city of San Antonio for the benefit of San Antonians?

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-08-2008, 09:18 PM
I think we just figured out the identity of one of the paramedics.

bendmz
01-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Well let me see.......
Perhaps a panel of Qualified Doctors? maybe Nurses?
someone who has the expertise in this field.
OR maybe the people who placed these EMTs out on the field......
POLITICIANS? GET REAL.........

mrsmaalox
01-09-2008, 08:07 PM
I don't know how it works but I think the best thing would be to have the case reviewed by the experts and then have their conclusions presented to the city council. Health care professionals have an excellent system of peer review and they really are the only ones qualified to pass judgement. But the it's the Council that answers to the public, so they cannot be bypassed. I think probably some version of this described procedure happened. What bothers me about it is that all the public hears about is the council and "punishment". Gives the appearance of a "witch hunt". Whether or not it was human error or negligence the families of the victim and the paramedics and their families need to be saved from this, because neither will EVER recover from it. Very sad.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't know how it works but I think the best thing would be to have the case reviewed by the experts and then have their conclusions presented to the city council. Health care professionals have an excellent system of peer review and they really are the only ones qualified to pass judgement. But the it's the Council that answers to the public, so they cannot be bypassed. I think probably some version of this described procedure happened. What bothers me about it is that all the public hears about is the council and "punishment". Gives the appearance of a "witch hunt". Whether or not it was human error or negligence the families of the victim and the paramedics and their families need to be saved from this, because neither will EVER recover from it. Very sad.

No, nobody from the public would ever assume that the City Council would be making these decisions.... oh, wait.

Nbadan
01-10-2008, 12:21 AM
Sorry for the family, my condolences, but the girl was dead...she had brain matter showing, that's a fatality to paramedics by policy....the hospitals know it, that's why they have this policy....

SequSpur
01-10-2008, 12:24 AM
Sorry for the family, my condolences, but the girl was dead...she had brain matter showing, that's a fatality to paramedics by policy....the hospitals know it, that's why they have this policy....

:nope

RashoFan
01-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Just because some brain matter is seen, doesn't mean that person is dead. I made a call where a person was shotin the head at close range. They where awake, alert and talking to us...and we saw gray matter/brain matter.
Bottom line, Paramedics should have confirmed death via cardiac monitor. Aystole in 3 leads, have a copy of the EKG strip for your report and one for the M.E. Damn It took me longer to type this post that to perform that one simple thing.

SequSpur
01-10-2008, 12:31 AM
exactly... the paramedics are no longer on duty for a reason. nbadan needs to stick to banging hillary.

RashoFan
01-10-2008, 12:34 AM
huh? I have not kept up with the news...are the Paramedics involved suspended or something?

cherylsteele
01-10-2008, 12:35 AM
I have heard of procedures that have been done to injuries like this and the victim survived. They have that policy? I have never heard of such a policy before. Hank Williams Jr had an accident that exposed his brain too. He is alive today because they did not give up on him.

On August 8, 1975, Williams, while climbing Ajax Mountain with Walt and Dick Willy, was severely injured in a mountain-climbing accident near Missoula, Montana. The accident shattered every bone within his face and exposed his brain to open air. It would eventually take nine major surgeries to put his face back together again. - Wikipedia

RashoFan
01-10-2008, 12:58 AM
huh? I have not kept up with the news...are the Paramedics involved suspended or something?
Never mind...I just looked up the story on WOAI.
Here is a link to the story and pics of the 4 Paramedics involved.
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=e7b6783b-3801-4347-91e3-de9595416dfb

SequSpur
01-10-2008, 12:58 AM

check out ksat.com, it has the complete story and the pics of each paramedic involved.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Never mind...I just looked up the story on WOAI.
Here is a link to the story and pics of the 4 Paramedics involved.
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=e7b6783b-3801-4347-91e3-de9595416dfb
:wtf Damn he didn't even check her pulse at all!?

SequSpur
01-10-2008, 01:03 AM
annie annie are you okay...
call 911 and return
check for breathing, no breathing
give 2 breaths
check pulse..................
no pulse?
start cpr....
pulse? manage airway, get their ass to a hospital.

WTF? how simple is that? where does i think she is dead because she looks bad come into play? This shit is so fucking basic.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Dude she fucking died the next day. She was not dead yet when they arrived on scene.

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-10-2008, 01:33 AM
check out ksat.com, it has the complete story and the pics of each paramedic involved.

It does?

ShoogarBear
01-10-2008, 09:21 PM
Sorry for the family, my condolences, but the girl was dead...she had brain matter showing, that's a fatality to paramedics by policy....the hospitals know it, that's why they have this policy....What the hell are you talking about? Hospitals have a policy to determine who's dead? I'd sure like to see this policy in writing. And then I'd like to be a lawyer.

There is no such thing as a "fatality by policy".

ashbeeigh
01-10-2008, 09:30 PM
If someone asks for an investigation on a paramedic it happens...sometime...but it does.

I was part of one with some in Seguin about three years ago because of mistreatment. It was pretty intense. The county, city, and state ended up involved. Nothing came of it, but it happens if it's asked for.

And my thoughts and prayers are still with the family. This can still only be making it worse.

Jimcs50
01-10-2008, 09:40 PM
The driver of the other vehicle, Jenny Ann Ybarra, 28, has been charged with intoxication manslaughter, police said.

This bitch needs to get the death penalty.

If we executed every convicted drunk driver, then maybe people would stop drinking and driving and killing innocent people.

I am so sick of these idiots getting behind the whell over and over after drinking. How many people have to die needlessly before we put some real laws in place that would finally keep people from driving drunk??