PDA

View Full Version : "the connection to the server was reset while the page was loading " error

spurs_2108
01-08-2008, 10:57 PM
Can any of your smart computer people help me out with this problem. I get It a few times on websites like, applytexas.org and everything I try to access fantasy sports with yahoo.

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.11 as my web browser
Windows XP SP 2.

Dex
01-08-2008, 11:30 PM
The cause for the message is pretty straightforward. Something interrupted the page while it is downloading, and it is unable to continue or pick up where it left off, so the connection resets. This happens to me probably a couple times a day using FireFox on my iMac at work, but the way I blaze around pages, I usually don't notice much. I just refresh and continue along my way.

The reason the problem is happening is probably a little harder to determine. Could be caused by plug-ins or add-ons for your Firefox causing an interruption, a bump in your internet or wireless signal, or even some sort of software corruption with Firefox or Windows itself.

If you're using a wireless connection with the computer, I would try to go to a hard-wired ethernet connection if possible and test, just to see if the same problem occurs. That way you can rule out the wireless signal.

If you have any plug-ins installed for Firefox, remove them. If that doesn't help, uninstall Firefox completely from Add/Remove Programs, redownload a new copy from www.mozilla.com, and reinstall. You could also try testing the sites in another browser, such as Opera or IE, to rule out the Firefox software.

Those are the basics that come to mind. Anything further would involve either resetting any possible routers, or troubleshooting Windows itself, which is probably more trouble than its worth.

Steve Perry
01-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Download this and post how many Errors you have.

http://www.regcure.com/download/

spurs_2108
01-08-2008, 11:47 PM
I have tried running the sites in IE and also using my ISP msn. It didn't work at all either.

I ran the scan and I have 577 errors... I do run Registry Mechanic but I guess this is a little better.

Steve Perry
01-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Dam DEX where have you been the last 4 years many people have the same problems and I could have used your help.

I have found the problem is many reasons. I have two PCs running off the same router. One PC gets Kori's site no problem. The other tells me page cannot be displayed.

I had to click on RUN and type in IPCONFIG a few times.

Sice I have many desktops and laptops come through my apartment every month I find out that the IP Address gets all jacked up each time I try to get on line with the costomers PC. I usally have to turn off my Roadrunner modem and plug it back in and do the same for my router.

I have found that Time Warner will block your WWW access if you get a TOS (terms of Service)

Since I download many movies and programs i pick up around 4 Trojans and 5 viruses and around 60 to 100 infections on a daily basis.

I have to wipe clean my Hard drive every 2 to 4 weeks. Good thing is I don't have to register my XP since I never have windows past the 28 days.

The sad part is I can't download the good files that are 60 to 80 GBs in time.

There is a huge file on BTJUNKIE it's all Walt Dysney and PIXAR films ever made.

It's over 40 GBs and take forever since there are few seeders and I have over 50 other downloads coming in. Anyway sometimes I get those email Trojans and I get time warner warning me I just e mailed 2,500.00 pissed off people.

Since I work on PCs they cut me lots of slack. I even know the Tech dudes on a first name basis.

I have found if you install an extra internet modem on your PC it runs faster than the one attached to your motherboard. I was getting only 96KBs and now I get 600KBs just by switching to a Linksky's high speed modem.

Many folks have no idea that if your date and time is off on your PC you can't access many websites like ATM / credit card or Banks. If you don't have Java you can't get into the yahoo live draft . I found that out the hard way and while my slow ass PC was downloading Java I lost Randy Moss in the draft.

You can also go into your network connection in the control panel and right click your modem and go into properties and hit the advance tab and make sure you have all the boxes checked especially the one that says TCP/IP.

All it takes is one infection and your whole website experience can be a nightmare.

Steve Perry
01-08-2008, 11:55 PM
I have tried running the sites in IE and also using my ISP msn. It didn't work at all either.

I ran the scan and I have 577 errors... I do run Registry Mechanic but I guess this is a little better.

If the problem just started do a system restore a few days before the problem started.

Steve Perry
01-09-2008, 12:02 AM
On a side note stay away from Norton and disable your windows firewall it will only slow you down and it doesn't keep you free from infections and hackers.

Use EWIDO twice a day for spyware
Trojan Remover once a day
do a boot up scan with Advast every other day
and use RegCure at least once a day and you will have a smooth running system.

Celeb. Junkie
01-09-2008, 12:03 AM
If the problem just started do a system restore a few days before the problem started.
YEAH, IT DOOOO , DUM ASS FUCKI'N WHIIITT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :toast

spurs_2108
01-09-2008, 12:09 AM
The problem has been going on for a good 2 or 3 months now. I even got a new hard drive and cloned my old one. The problem occurred on my old hard drive and continues to do so on my new one. I guess I shouldn't be that shocked.

I have tried "I had to click on RUN and type in IPCONFIG a few times." Nothing worked. Haven't tried the new reinstall of firefox. Every time I try to run a fresh install of XP, my computer some how freezes or I get some crazy error that says IQRL is less than something, and It screws it up. I wanted to get a fresh copy of XP on my new hard drive but I had to stick with a clone. I have also done a google search with the title of the thread in the search, and I tried a few of their tips. Like going into about:config and changing a few of the settings. None of them seemed to work.

Steve Perry
01-09-2008, 12:20 AM
It sounds to me like you have corrupted Memory. If you do then XP will never install properly. You may even get an error saying file LTDR or Dll cannot be found on your disc.

If your memory is corrupted you will spend weeks and lots of time and money changing out HDs software and you will never fix the problem.

download Microscope 2000 it will tell you if you have corrupted memory or you can check your memory with these.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=26&sort=25

spurs_2108
01-09-2008, 12:43 AM
That could be the problem. I have gotten that error saying that "blank blank cannont be found on your disc." It could be my old ram stick. Right now I have 1.5 gb of ram. I just bought a new crucial brand 1 GB from Frys. I don't know If its smart to run a 1 GB and 1 512 Mb. Running the ram test now... Gotta close out of everything...

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Mouse, I take it regcure.com is a safe site, but how do you work out what is a safe site and which sites are just trying to download nasty shit like trojans and winfixer onto your PC?

I use the NoScript addon for firefox which has cut down considerably on the winfixer attacks! :lol

mouse
01-09-2008, 01:59 AM
You can Google RegCure if it is not worthy I am sure you will see someone say something.

You really think a site like MajorGeeks.com would ruin their reputation giving folks software that would ruin their PCs?

If you know how to use Major Geeks you can go the rest of your life never having to pay anyone to fix your PC again. You folks act as though i was born with a keyboard in my crib! I was just like everyone one else on the www. I asked stupid questions like...."how do you post a picture in your topic?" You know how many computers I have ever really owned? The facts are no one at this site is anymore talented than the next poster. The only reason some of us seem to know more is cause we take the next step.

For example lets say this time next year you go into a topic that has a person with this same problem, and you tell them what you learned today. Now your the expert! and so on.................

Like my photoshops! I only started them in 98 and I sucked. You could see where I cut and pasted the persons head on another picture. The Trolls @ Jim Rome's Smack Chat now know as TOT (the other the) or RackTheTrolls.com used to make fun of me.

I was kind embarrassed at times. so i asked questions..I found out there was an eraser tool and it will smoothed out the rough edges. I looked like a pro in a week, then I played with the software for hours...( It kinda helps if your single, or married to a real ugly woman) you seem to spend more time on the PC.

The first time i had a serious Virus I took my HP 300mhz tower to Help me computers on Austin HWY and they told me 2 hours later (I called them) that they think I may have a virus. I said how much would it cost to fix? He said I owe them 108.00 Dollars since they charge 50 dollars an hour to work on any PC. I only paid 200.00dollars for the whole system and printer I had, why would I soak in another 200.00 when I can just buy another HD and Install it myself.

Kinda like when the AC repairman tells you you need a new 300.00 dollar compressor and all really it is a dirty evaporator coil or a 12.00 dollar circuit breaker box.

It's only two plugs. after that day, I made it my life's goal to help others not fall victim of the fastest growing money making scam in America................

http://meisterplanet.com/journal/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/geek-squad-badge-geekmobile.jpg

mouse
01-09-2008, 02:22 AM
I don't know If its smart to run a 1 GB and 1 512 Mb. Running the ram test now... Gotta close out of everything...

why would you ever need more than 1000MBs of RAM? and you need to say you jacked with the memory sticks in the future it could speed up the fix it solutions. :smokin

Take out the new RAM reinstall XP and get back to me.

mouse
01-09-2008, 03:06 AM
which has cut down considerably on the winfixer attacks! :lol

That is like the original Infection that started it all. So many folks think Microsoft would actually alert you to go to one of their sites to download something.

The only way you can get a Microsoft update is through the small blue earth looking ball on the bottom of your browser. You had to approve of the update.
or open a web browser and seek them out. Microsoft would never ask for something it knows already how to fix. You will see Windows update complete.

But for some reason the Virus business is so good I can't say I hate them. Tire shops need flat tires.Cops need criminals, Dr's. need Cancer , NBC needs child predators and so on... It's the circle of life and how $Money rules the earth and alway will. but a Virus can sometimes be fun........

In fact I try to download them. why not test your Advast? I really want to learn all I can about them. after all only a talented person can actually make one and put it to use. That person has skilz like many ex Macintosh and Microsoft employees have today that are still bitter about their 401K's

I have found one virus I really can't stand and is getting on my nerves............the one that tries to knocks out your HD

NTLDR is missing

The winfixer and the urgent click here your computer i

USA Employee
01-09-2008, 03:41 AM
I hope you do as this mouse says I am really tired of my wife saying "welcome to DELL what is your problem"!

Nbadan
01-09-2008, 04:17 AM
.....28 days later......

:hat

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-09-2008, 06:00 AM
I am having trouble watching youtube videos - they go for 8 or 10 seconds and then pause for buffering, resume, pause, etc. I am on at least 1.5kbps broadband connection, not shaped by the provider, and otherwise my net speed seems fine. Any ideas?

Twisted_Dawg
01-09-2008, 07:09 AM
I hope you do as this mouse says I am really tired of my wife saying "welcome to DELL what is your problem"!

Excuse me sir, but are you married to an ugly woman also?

to21
01-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I have written a bacth file and complied into a .EXE that I use. It works for this type of stuff.

The closest thing I found that does the same thing is:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/WinSock-XP-Fix.shtml

winsockxpfix.exe..... it corrects any reg settings that have been touched by mal or spy ware. Basically redoes your IP stack.

Dex
01-09-2008, 11:51 AM
The problem has been going on for a good 2 or 3 months now. I even got a new hard drive and cloned my old one. The problem occurred on my old hard drive and continues to do so on my new one. I guess I shouldn't be that shocked.

I have tried "I had to click on RUN and type in IPCONFIG a few times." Nothing worked. Haven't tried the new reinstall of firefox. Every time I try to run a fresh install of XP, my computer some how freezes or I get some crazy error that says IQRL is less than something, and It screws it up. I wanted to get a fresh copy of XP on my new hard drive but I had to stick with a clone. I have also done a google search with the title of the thread in the search, and I tried a few of their tips. Like going into about:config and changing a few of the settings. None of them seemed to work.

If the same problem occurs in another browser such as IE, then I doubt reinstalling Firefox is gonna have much luck, but it's probably worth a shot. Sounds like it's something either with your internet connection, or the PC processing the IP/web information.

Are you directly connected / hardwired to your modem, a router, or are you connecting wirelessly?

Another possibility could be login/startup items bogging down your machine. If you go to Run... and type msconfig, it will load the System Configuration Utility. Check Selective Startup, then UNCHECK Load Startup Items. Then go the Services tab, check the Hide All Microsoft Services, then click Disable All. After you hit OK, the computer should ask you to restart, and it will reboot into Windows with NO login/startup items initialized, which you should be able to tell from your barebones Taskbar. Go into Firefox and test the issue with the machine in this mode and see if it helps at all. If so, you at least know where the problem lies. If not, go back to msconfig and re-enable Startup Items and non-microsoft Services.

Otherwise, there are the aforementioned options for Windows maintenance, as well as just running a basic Disk Cleanup from Control, Disk Defragment, and clearing out your cookies and registry. You could also try to test the issue in a new Windows User, though that line of troubleshooting seems to be more useful on a Mac.

Unfortunately, this isnt a very cut and dry problem, so its hard to find a cut and dry answer.

spurs_2108
01-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Well I have an update...

I took out my 512 MB ram stick and now just have my 1 GB ram in. I backed up some music and other things on my other hard drive. I was finally able to install a fresh copy of windows XP. I installed MSN... and the sites that gave me the error before, no longer give me the error anymore. So I guess thats just one solution to the problem. Thanks for all of your suggestions and time.

DannyT
01-13-2008, 10:39 PM
mouse saves the day again...man who woulda knew that a bad stick of RAM would give you an error reading a file of you disk during installl.....MOUSE WILL YOU TEACH ME....?:wakeup

Nbadan
01-14-2008, 04:35 AM
...lesson of the thread...don't assume your shitty ram is gonna play nice..

....case closed.

:hat

TDMVPDPOY
01-14-2008, 05:59 AM
sometimes i have the same problem connecting to the internet on the wireless pc

things to do:

reset/power off the modem, switch it back on....if it doesnt work

check the tcp/ip adapter settings of ur wireless card, check if the DNS, IP settings are correct, sometimes they have to be manually put in to work....

check the settings of the modem.....wireless/lan settings etc....if they are correct...

if it continues to not correct itself, only thing to do is what i did, unplug the modem, stomp the shit out of it, and go buy a new one.