PDA

View Full Version : Are the Heat done?

Cry Havoc
01-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Pretty simple, really. They keep losing, Wade's health is in question, Shaq looks DONE, and they have little else beyond that and the chucker Ricky Davis.

Do the Heat have a shot at making the playoffs this year?

My sources say no.

Armando
01-09-2008, 12:43 AM
Put a fork in them they are done. One to the NBA draft special.

Roxsfan
01-09-2008, 12:44 AM
It's sad that they are going down this way.

lefty
01-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Heat are fucked

Armando
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM

I have a feeling Riles will make some noise in the offseason with trades and free agency.

Matchman
01-09-2008, 12:46 AM

Why would you feel sad? they gamble their next 5 years for a championship and they got one.

tlongII
01-09-2008, 12:48 AM
They are done, but they won a title so I give them props.

Armando
01-09-2008, 12:50 AM
The good news for them is they have alot of expiring contracts.

Cry Havoc
01-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Also, as a sidebar to the thread:

Will Shaq ever be an impact player to the game again?

Armando
01-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Also, as a sidebar to the thread:

Will Shaq ever be an impact player to the game again?

Yes eating up 20 million per year for the next 2 seasons.

Roxsfan
Why would you feel sad? they gamble their next 5 years for a championship and they got one.

I don't know, just tough to watch. It's good for the NBA if they are competitive. Makes for good other-team game watching......now dallas and miami re-matches mean nothing. Miami vs. celtics means nothing. Miami vs detroit...etc etc.

I watched a good game against sa and gsws last night. would have turned off the tv if goldenstate or SA were in Miami's situation.

Matchman
which free agent in the next few years would be a great fit to play with D. Wade?

Cry Havoc
01-09-2008, 12:55 AM
I don't know, just tough to watch. It's good for the NBA if they are competitive. Makes for good other-team game watching......now dallas and miami re-matches mean nothing. Miami vs. celtics means nothing. Miami vs detroit...etc etc.

I watched a good game against sa and gsws last night. would have turned off the tv if goldenstate or SA were in Miami's situation.

Right now I would say there are more quality NBA teams in the league right now than there have been in a lonnng time. Maybe ever. The East is no joke this year. Orlando (slumping as they are), Detroit, and Boston are all great ball clubs. The West is absolutely stacked, with currently 7 teams on pace to win 50 or more games this year.

Armando
01-09-2008, 12:56 AM
which free agent in the next few years would be a great fit to play with D. Wade?

How about Arenas? Wade is a unselfish player so I don't think shots will be a problem for him or Arenas. Gordon? Deng?

Armando
01-09-2008, 12:57 AM
Right now I would say there are more quality NBA teams in the league right now than there have been in a lonnng time. Maybe ever. The East is no joke this year. Orlando (slumping as they are), Detroit, and Boston are all great ball clubs. The West is absolutely stacked, with currently 7 teams on pace to win 50 or more games this year.

The NBA is finally getting parity. Is always fun when there are more teams in the mix instead of 2 or 3.

Cry Havoc
01-09-2008, 12:57 AM

Ideally? Someone that he could grow with, like Bynum or Howard. A few guys who are athletic, can drop a three, and are active on the court with modest passing skills to feed him the rock in tight quarters.

Wade NEEDS a post presence to be a truly effective penetrating guard.

Cry Havoc
01-09-2008, 12:59 AM
The NBA is finally getting parity. Is always fun when there are more teams in the mix instead of 2 or 3.

It's easy to pick the Spurs vs. Detroit or Boston this year, but in reality, there are SO many teams that are just a half step behind those 3 (4 if you want to throw in Phoenix or Dallas).

A couple of bounces and some incredible determination means we're watching a Phoenix - Orlando final this year.

Armando
01-09-2008, 01:00 AM
Ideally? Someone that he could grow with, like Bynum or Howard. A few guys who are athletic, can drop a three, and are active on the court with modest passing skills to feed him the rock in tight quarters.

I know Riley has said that he plans to go after Howard when he is in free agency. Lets see what happens.

Armando
01-09-2008, 01:03 AM
It's easy to pick the Spurs vs. Detroit or Boston this year, but in reality, there are SO many teams that are just a half step behind those 3 (4 if you want to throw in Phoenix or Dallas).

A couple of bounces and some incredible determination means we're watching a Phoenix - Orlando final this year.

A good example is Miami 2 years ago. Who even had Miami beating the Nets in the semis? Detroit that year just mowed through the league and was the heavy favorite to win the title.

KidCongo
01-09-2008, 01:06 AM
Wade to Cleveland in 2010

ludda
01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Maybe this finally means there will be less DWade commercials.

Armando
01-09-2008, 01:10 AM

Nah I think if anything him and LeBron might go to a big market team. New York if they get thier act together, LA, Chicago hell even Orlando if Howard sticks around is a possibility for Wade.

m33p0
01-09-2008, 02:04 AM
Wade and Lebron to New York.

KidCongo
01-09-2008, 02:08 AM
Wade and Lebron to New York.

not with the mansion lebron is building, wade might

m33p0
01-09-2008, 02:09 AM
not with the mansion lebron is building, wade might
Having a place in Malibu hasn't stopped Garnett from moving to Boston, did he?

KidCongo
01-09-2008, 02:12 AM
Having a place in Malibu hasn't stopped Garnett from moving to Boston, did he?

yer but Malibu doesn't match Cleveland. :drunk

m33p0
01-09-2008, 02:35 AM
yer but Malibu doesn't match Cleveland. :drunk
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2312/2179565453_0098641e91_o.jpg

m33p0
01-09-2008, 02:39 AM
And now, back to the news.

In sports, the Miami Heat aren't only done, they are charbroiled.

endrity
01-09-2008, 05:51 AM
they bought the championship they were supposed to, and are now missing some shots they are supposed to miss

tav1
01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
Will someone post Hollinger's latest blog entry, "Heat must face their reality..."

BacktoBasics
01-09-2008, 05:07 PM
They sold out for a ring and possibly a thought of two which didn't pan out or even get close. We all knew the Shaq fallout was coming but you don't think of it when you're winning. Its going to be a tough next 2 or 3 years for Wade if he sticks around.

SpursDynasty
01-09-2008, 05:26 PM
If Shaq would stop being so lazy maybe they'd have a chance.

ancestron
01-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Kinda too bad, The Heat were a really exciting team in 2005 and 2006. I didn't expect them to plummet from the stratosphere like they have.

JamStone
01-09-2008, 05:32 PM
pretty much yes

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
If they tank and get some luck in the draft, they might be able to turn it around. Otherwise they aren't going to be able to really rebuild until they get Shaq's contract off the books. In the mean time Wade could end up turning into the next version of T-Mac or AI, burning out his body trying to keep a lottery team afloat every night.

LakeShow
01-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Will someone post Hollinger's latest blog entry, "Heat must face their reality..."

Heat must face their realityposted: Wednesday, January 9, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

Less than two years ago, Miami won the NBA championship.

Last night, they lost fairly convincingly to a team that was 4-29.

Miami's fall from grace has been shocking in its severity and completeness. It wasn't just that the Heat lost this game, it was that other than Dwyane Wade, they looked completely outclassed (Side note: Yes, I watched a Heat-Wolves game from start to finish. I need to get a life). This wasn't a case of the T'wolves making a bunch of lucky shots or the Heat missing a bunch of open ones -- Minnesota got whatever they wanted and, other than Wade, had little trouble defending Miami's plays.

No, things have not gone according to the script for the Heat. I can't imagine Pat Riley pictured he'd be using Mark Blount or Earl Barron a lot this year ... much less using them together ... much less having Daequan Cook and Luke Jackson on the court with them -- but that was Miami's lineup at the end of the third quarter. And once again, they got zilch from the point -- Jason Williams and Chris Quinn combined to shoot 2-for-8 and hand out five assists, and Riley used Wade at the point for much of the fourth quarter.

Riley has been hesitant to blow this team up, but last night should have been the final, screaming beacon that it's time to get the dynamite ready. The issue isn't that Miami lost to Minnesota, it's that the outcome wasn't even a surprise. "We're one of the worst teams in the league also," as Wade said after the game last night.

Unfortunately, they might be this bad for a long time. Riley essentially mortgaged the team's future to win a championship in 2006. While nobody in South Florida regrets that decision, it's time to pay the piper. Shaq has two years left on his deal at $20 million a pop, leaving the Heat with almost no salary flexibility, and the cupboard is mostly bare of young prospects (though Daequan Cook looks like a keeper).

All year, speculation has had Miami trading its expiring contracts (Jason Williams, Ricky Davis, Dorell Wright) to get another player and kick-start a playoff push. But actually, the Heat needs to go in the opposite direction. They should begin unloading the likes of Mark Blount, Williams, Davis, and perhaps even Udonis Haslem, tell Wade to take a break until he's truly healthy, and figure out how to get back into the mix another year or two down the road. Because at 8-27, it sure as heck ain't happening this year.

1Parker1
01-09-2008, 07:58 PM
What's amazing is that Miami won the NBA championship with virtually the same mish-mash of players just two seasons ago. Dallas really blew it in 2006.

tav1
01-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Heat must face their realityposted: Wednesday, January 9, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

Less than two years ago, Miami won the NBA championship.

Last night, they lost fairly convincingly to a team that was 4-29.

Miami's fall from grace has been shocking in its severity and completeness. It wasn't just that the Heat lost this game, it was that other than Dwyane Wade, they looked completely outclassed (Side note: Yes, I watched a Heat-Wolves game from start to finish. I need to get a life). This wasn't a case of the T'wolves making a bunch of lucky shots or the Heat missing a bunch of open ones -- Minnesota got whatever they wanted and, other than Wade, had little trouble defending Miami's plays.

No, things have not gone according to the script for the Heat. I can't imagine Pat Riley pictured he'd be using Mark Blount or Earl Barron a lot this year ... much less using them together ... much less having Daequan Cook and Luke Jackson on the court with them -- but that was Miami's lineup at the end of the third quarter. And once again, they got zilch from the point -- Jason Williams and Chris Quinn combined to shoot 2-for-8 and hand out five assists, and Riley used Wade at the point for much of the fourth quarter.

Riley has been hesitant to blow this team up, but last night should have been the final, screaming beacon that it's time to get the dynamite ready. The issue isn't that Miami lost to Minnesota, it's that the outcome wasn't even a surprise. "We're one of the worst teams in the league also," as Wade said after the game last night.

Unfortunately, they might be this bad for a long time. Riley essentially mortgaged the team's future to win a championship in 2006. While nobody in South Florida regrets that decision, it's time to pay the piper. Shaq has two years left on his deal at $20 million a pop, leaving the Heat with almost no salary flexibility, and the cupboard is mostly bare of young prospects (though Daequan Cook looks like a keeper).

All year, speculation has had Miami trading its expiring contracts (Jason Williams, Ricky Davis, Dorell Wright) to get another player and kick-start a playoff push. But actually, the Heat needs to go in the opposite direction. They should begin unloading the likes of Mark Blount, Williams, Davis, and perhaps even Udonis Haslem, tell Wade to take a break until he's truly healthy, and figure out how to get back into the mix another year or two down the road. Because at 8-27, it sure as heck ain't happening this year.

Thanks!

Armando
01-09-2008, 11:27 PM
They lost to the Bucks tonight.

BacktoBasics
01-10-2008, 10:06 AM
At the point the only thing that would really help Shaq is if he dumped a bunch of weight and was at the very least a little more mobile. Right now he's just slothing around. Buy him out???

Cry Havoc
01-10-2008, 04:09 PM
At the point the only thing that would really help Shaq is if he dumped a bunch of weight and was at the very least a little more mobile. Right now he's just slothing around. Buy him out???

Hell yes.

Think about how scary this fact is:

Replace Shaq with Andrew Bynum.... don't the Heat suddenly look like a pretty damn good team? 'drew, Haslem, Davis, Wade.... they're a PG away from contending.

That just sounds wrong.

Flo-Rida
01-10-2008, 05:01 PM
of course this team has no heart dwade dont look the sam edoesnt have that poise to win games as he did before he got injured shaq is getting injured to much the only bright spots i see is dequan cook, chris quinn and sometime earl barron and of course dorell wright when healthy

Flo-Rida
01-10-2008, 05:03 PM

yes exactly people who say he is better than kobe or Lebron are just plain stupid

Flo-Rida
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
What's amazing is that Miami won the NBA championship with virtually the same mish-mash of players just two seasons ago. Dallas really blew it in 2006.
yea but there is a difference that 06 team had heart i mean damn we were doubted but we fought adversity hard now we are just lettin everyone walk on us

ratm1221
01-10-2008, 05:12 PM
yea but there is a difference that 06 team had heart i mean damn we were doubted but we fought adversity hard now we are just lettin everyone walk on us

Do you have something against punctuation?

Flo-Rida
01-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Do you have something against punctuation?
i really dont give a fuck its the internet im not writing a fucking essay.

ratm1221
01-10-2008, 05:40 PM
i really dont give a fuck its the internet im not writing a fucking essay.

Haha, you put a period at the end.

you put a period at the end i cant believe u did dat i have to type like dis because i removed my punctuation keys from my keyboard did you watch the miami heat play the other day they look like crap peace im out

Medvedenko
01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Ok that's cold ratm1221.....don't sleep in Fo-rida..he's a true fan of his team...taking a beating when his team is down and looking towards the future. They need to re-build, I like the idea of blowing it up, buyout Shaq, go for the lottery and move on....

Armando
01-10-2008, 09:33 PM

Plus they are missing Posey,Walker,Payton, who were key players in the 2006 playoffs.

mavs>spurs2
01-10-2008, 09:46 PM
If Shaq would stop being so lazy maybe they'd have a chance.

Yes..you're right it has nothing to do with the wear and tear of age on a 350 pound body..

Damn that lazy bastard he should really start trying to shoot some shots again

Armando
01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Yes..you're right it has nothing to do with the wear and tear of age on a 350 pound body..

Damn that lazy bastard he should really start trying to shoot some shots again

Shaq has been in decline the last few seasons. Is just playing with Wade the Heat have been able to cover that up. In the Finals vs Dallas I thought the Mavs did a pretty decent job of defending Shaq. They just had the bad luck that Wade put on a Jordan like performance and carried the team to the title.

mavs>spurs2
01-10-2008, 09:58 PM
Shaq has been in decline the last few seasons. Is just playing with Wade the Heat have been able to cover that up. In the Finals vs Dallas I thought the Mavs did a pretty decent job of defending Shaq. They just had the bad luck that Wade put on a Jordan like performance and carried the team to the title.

Psst..dont take any of my posts in response to SpursDynasty seriously.

Armando
01-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Psst..dont take any of my posts in response to SpursDynasty seriously.

:lol

Flo-Rida
01-10-2008, 10:29 PM
Ok that's cold ratm1221.....don't sleep in Fo-rida..he's a true fan of his team...taking a beating when his team is down and looking towards the future. They need to re-build, I like the idea of blowing it up, buyout Shaq, go for the lottery and move on....
Exactly release shaq we release his fat contract sign some good free agents get a top 5 pick in the draft after that i dont see why we cant contend next year. We have some young players who look like they have a bright future ex. Dequan cook, Chris Quinn,Earl barron and Dorell Wright and whoever we get in the draft.

Sportcamper
01-11-2008, 12:06 PM
Before the arrival of Shaquille O’Neal nobody West of the Mississippi had ever heard of the Miami Heat…Their games were never televised….The players never had write ups in the National news…In fact, most people thought that Pat Riley had retired….Without Shaq there never would be a player nick named “FLASH and the Heat would never have gotten one of these…

http://www.joeiverson.com/Library/finals06/trophy/shaq_wade_trophy.jpg

MONTENEGRINO
01-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Shaq is old, fat and DONE. IS he one of the greatest ever? This is your answer: NO. At least, not top 15-20 players. Compare him to Mike or Kareem or Malone of his age...
Wade is alone. Excellent, but not great player. Period. Not Kobe's or LeBron's level.

Armando
01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Before the arrival of Shaquille O’Neal nobody West of the Mississippi had ever heard of the Miami Heat…Their games were never televised….The players never had write ups in the National news…In fact, most people thought that Pat Riley had retired….Without Shaq there never would be a player nick named “FLASH and the Heat would never have gotten one of these…

http://www.joeiverson.com/Library/finals06/trophy/shaq_wade_trophy.jpg

Are you crazy? I guess you don't remember the Mourning/Hardaway Heat teams that were a top team in the East back in the mid to late 90s. I guess you also don't remember the Bulls/Heat playoff series or those great series vs the Knicks.

Armando
01-11-2008, 08:44 PM
How bad is for the Heat? The Hornets bench which has been in a slump recently are playing well tonight.

Flo-Rida
01-11-2008, 09:45 PM
How bad is for the Heat? The Hornets bunch which has been in a slump recently are playing well tonight.
The depression of being a heat fan

Armando
01-11-2008, 09:48 PM
The depression of being a heat fan

Well I know what it feels like to go through a bad season. Look at the Suns 2003-04 season. However it least it looks like they will get a top draft pick which will help. DWade needs alot more help then what he has now. However I think Riley should shut him down and get him healthy for next season.

Flo-Rida
01-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Well I know what it feels like to go through a bad season. Look at the Suns 2003-04 season. However it least it looks like they will get a top draft pick which will help. DWade needs alot more help then what he has now. However I think Riley should shut him down and get him healthy for next season.
yea well you see this is the thing do they draft a center or a point guard, do they trade that pick for a star player. Plus we have see to which free agents we can sign

Armando
01-11-2008, 09:55 PM
yea well you see this is the thing do they draft a center or a point guard, do they trade that pick for a star player. Plus we have see to which free agents we can sign

I think they should go for OJ Mayo or Eric Gordon. Also Arenas might be a good fit for them as well as Ben Gordon or Deng.

Flo-Rida
01-11-2008, 10:00 PM
I think they should go for OJ Mayo or Eric Gordon. Also Arenas might be a good fit for them as well as Ben Gordon or Deng.
arenas would be a good pick up

Flo-Rida
01-11-2008, 10:00 PM
i would trade this miami heat team for the t-wolves shit at least they play with heart.

Armando
01-11-2008, 10:02 PM
i would trade this miami heat team for the t-wolves shit at least they play with heart.

You got to wonder if thet keep losing games how soon before they get accused of tanking for the lottery?

Flo-Rida
01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
You got to wonder if thet keep losing games how soon before they get accused of tanking for the lottery?
they might as well, even if they make the playoffs it will put us as the eight seed which we will we have to play boston the results 4 game sweep just like last year so in reality there is no point of making the playoffs this year we got a high draft pick sign some good free agents and we will be back next year

Armando
01-13-2008, 12:16 PM
But at the time the Heat would have been foolish not to pull that trade. They get Shaq without giving up Wade. I know the roster Miami had was good with Butler,Wade and Odom. If they had kept that team together they would have been good enough to win alot of games in the regular season but in the playoffs they would have not gone further then the semis. In other words that Heat team was the South Beach Wizards. Miami had to do that trade look at how many teams have won titles since MJ retired. The Spurs,Lakers,Pistons and Heat. That is 4 teams. Only 4 teams out of 30 have won titles since the Bulls broke up.