PDA

View Full Version : Public School in America

Hook Dem
01-01-2005, 12:42 AM
http://tinypic.com/157ped

scott
01-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Apparently reading, writing, math, and science are banned from our schools too- as we have failing grades in all of those areas when compared to other industrialized nations.

Hook Dem
01-11-2005, 09:44 AM
Apparently reading, writing, math, and science are banned from our schools too- as we have failing grades in all of those areas when compared to other industrialized nations.
Apparently, you are correct Scott!

JohnnyMarzetti
01-11-2005, 10:06 AM
But don't fear, the No Child Left Behind Act is near.

SpursWoman
01-11-2005, 10:18 AM
But don't fear, the No Child Left Behind Act is near.

Which was championed by the Democratic party, too! Damn, you're a hateful sum'bitch.

:lol

ClintSquint
01-11-2005, 10:26 AM
Actually, I think it was a bi-partisan deal but Ted Kennedy played a major role along side Bush. It just needs the funding promised.

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Actually, I think it was a bi-partisan deal but Ted Kennedy played a major role along side Bush. It just needs the funding promised.

I agree Clint.

SpursWoman
01-11-2005, 10:28 AM

Oh, I know...but sometimes you need to exaggerate a little to reach those with hate-induced tunnel vision.

:)

Johnny_Blaze_47
01-11-2005, 10:29 AM
I third that.

When I worked at a Northside elementary, a lot of the programs they wanted implemented simply couldn't be done.

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I bet they could get an M1A1 if they asked for it though.

Hook Dem
01-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Irony in it's finest form.

MannyIsGod
01-11-2005, 10:35 AM
How so?

Shelly
01-11-2005, 10:55 AM
I dunno, I definitely cannot complain about the elementary school my kids attended. One of the tops in Northside. Now middle school is a different story, but so far the grades have been good.

Useruser666
01-11-2005, 10:57 AM

That's the latest in playground equipment right? Actually some teachers could use one of those.

desflood
01-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Actually, what public schools need to do is learn to operate more resourcefully with the money they do have or less, instead of asking for more. Nobody tell me it can't be done. Private schools do it all the time.

dcole50
01-12-2005, 08:22 PM
i spent two years in a public high school and two in a private. to be honest, i don't think either took advantage of their resources. the public school was slightly underfunded, in its defense. the private school was headed by a president who was not only corrupt and incompetent. the guy bought a new car each semester. needless to say, nobody was surprised to find out that the guy was funneling funds into his personal bank account. but, i'm rambling ... must be a result of my lackluster high school education. ;)

scott
01-12-2005, 11:03 PM
I dunno, I definitely cannot complain about the elementary school my kids attended. One of the tops in Northside. Now middle school is a different story, but so far the grades have been good.

Sadly, Shelly, not even our "top" schools can compete internationally. Department of Education statistics show that our top 12th grade students are last and next to last in math and science, respectively, compared to other industrialized nations. Elementary school is the only place where students (all students) seem to be doing "okay" where they rank 12th out of 26 nations in math and 3rd out of 26 in science.

But somewhere along the line something goes wrong, because our 8th graders rank 28th out of 41 in math (with a below average score) and 17 out of 41 in science. Things get worse by the time our kids get to 12th grade, where they rank 19th out of 21 in math and 16 out of 21 in science.

Our jobs aren't being exported because of unpatriotic companies, its because our citizens are morons.

scott
01-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Oh yeah... here is the source to the above info:

http://4brevard.com/choice/international-test-scores.htm

Drachen
01-12-2005, 11:18 PM
P.S. The "s-h" word isnt even a word, its an acronym.

Extra Stout
01-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Sadly, Shelly, not even our "top" schools can compete internationally. Department of Education statistics show that our top 12th grade students are last and next to last in math and science, respectively, compared to other industrialized nations. Elementary school is the only place where students (all students) seem to be doing "okay" where they rank 12th out of 26 nations in math and 3rd out of 26 in science. In other nations, they split up the kids at a certain age on different educational tracks. Low performers go to vocational schools, while only high performers go to the "elite" professional-prep schools.

Implementing that here would be politically impossible and probably violates the Constitution somehow. Basically those countries decide that if you are a C student in the sixth grade that you will never have a chance to go to college. Anyone who suggested this would be ostracized as elitist, segregationist, racist, anti-poor, etc., etc, etc.

So if you take out the bottom half of American students, how then would we rank?

Our jobs aren't being exported because of unpatriotic companies, its because our citizens are morons.American culture is certainly more anti-intellectual than in some other places, but just calling us "morons" is unfair.

scott
01-13-2005, 06:33 PM
So if you take out the bottom half of American students, how then would we rank?

That is precisely what they did when they compared our top students to the top students of other nations. Our top 12th graders are last in math and next to last in science.

Extra Stout
01-13-2005, 06:36 PM
That is precisely what they did when they compared our top students to the top students of other nations. Our top 12th graders are last in math and next to last in science.OK, I missed the word "top." My bad.

Nbadan
01-14-2005, 02:44 AM
But somewhere along the line something goes wrong, because our 8th graders rank 28th out of 41 in math (with a below average score) and 17 out of 41 in science. Things get worse by the time our kids get to 12th grade, where they rank 19th out of 21 in math and 16 out of 21 in science.

Our jobs aren't being exported because of unpatriotic companies, its because our citizens are morons.

Much of this has to do with A.D.D. Ask any teacher and they will tell you that adding one kid with severe ADD completely can change the make-up of any class. When the kids are young, they can and most usually are medicated, but when they get older, many get off the medicines or their bodies become somehow immune to it. Add in all the turbulence that comes with being a young teenager in America - fitting in, being accepted, pimples, menstruation, the awkwardness of being young, drugs, girls, boys, parents to busy to care, alcohol, thinking you already know it all...etc....it's a miracle most adolescents make it through middle school, where most first start having trouble listening and learning.

MannyIsGod
01-14-2005, 04:31 AM
I submit to this arguement that ADD is nothing more than a make believe disease made up by the makers of ADD medication.

SpursWoman
01-14-2005, 07:47 AM
I submit to this arguement that ADD is nothing more than a make believe disease made up by the makers of ADD medication.

No, it's an actual disease....if you've ever been in close proximity with someone that has it they can flat out drive you up a wall. But I think for the most part it's also a cop out to categorize and sedate a child that may have just a little more difficult time being a perfect little angel than others.

Hook Dem
01-14-2005, 10:08 AM
No, it's an actual disease....if you've ever been in close proximity with someone that has it they can flat out drive you up a wall. But I think for the most part it's also a cop out to categorize and sedate a child that may have just a little more difficult time being a perfect little angel than others.
Spurswoman hits it right on!

Spurminator
01-14-2005, 10:15 AM
Is ADD an American-only disease?

Why would that be an obstacle to American students and not others? Is it better-treated in those other countries?

It already seems to be over-treated here.

Shelly
01-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Damn, Scott. That's sad. Do you happen to know which state has the best schools? TIA

SpursWoman
01-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Spurswoman hits it right on!

I have a lot of experience with this issue. :fro

MannyIsGod
01-14-2005, 11:24 AM
My sister was HAAD or something, and ADD diagnosed.

Well fuck, to be honest, half my damn generation is ADD diagnosed.

I am willing to accept that some people actually have it. I still maintain it's way the hell overdiagnosed for the purpose of drug sales.

MannyIsGod
01-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Damn, Scott. That's sad. Do you happen to know which state has the best schools? TIA

Japan :p

Spurminator
01-14-2005, 11:35 AM
I probably could get diagnosed for AADD or whatever, but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay that much for those pills.

bigzak25
01-14-2005, 11:35 AM
all of us have short attention spans for shit that bores us.....

some kids just don't know how to be quiet and stfu in class....that's parental and school lack of discipline.

i like the cartoon though hook.

Marcus Garvey
01-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Brothers and sisters, we are fucked.

SpursWoman
01-14-2005, 12:48 PM

I am willing to accept that some people actually have it. I still maintain it's way the hell overdiagnosed for the purpose of drug sales.

It's ADHD, btw.

And if you spent time with someone that really has it, as opposed to someone who was diagnosed with it because maybe there are other behavioral problems and sedating them would be the easiest way out instead of getting to the root of them....there is absolutely no way you would ever mistake the two again.

It's like taking a woman who says she's *depressed* all of the time and just giving her a script for Prozac, when all she really needed was to get off her ass, exercise, open the curtains and get some fresh air...and change the music in her CD changer.

But its easier for a doctor to scribble on a pad and rush her out the door so he can see the next in line. Less effort, more $$.

JoeChalupa
01-14-2005, 01:17 PM
I think it is a conspiracy.
The drug companies and physicians don't want parents to "discipline" their child.
They'd rather make them pay for pills or counseling so they can make bigger profits.

I do find it odd that so many kids are diagnosed with something these days.
Heck, quite of few here at work have their kids on meds.

I pray that I'll never have to resort to that.

Hook Dem
01-14-2005, 02:17 PM
http://tinypic.com/192usi :lmao :lmao :lmao

Useruser666
01-14-2005, 02:24 PM

Oh man, tooooo easy! But: Your sisters been had?

MannyIsGod
01-14-2005, 04:09 PM
hahahah