PDA

View Full Version : Sam Cassell might be traded before deadline

spurscenter
01-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Sam is a perfect backup for Tony.

He is on a / last year / Expiring contract,

Brent Barry & J. Vaughn for Sam Cassell, works money wise
or Francisco Elson & J. Vaughn & 2nd Round Pick for Sam Cassell

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/clippers/la-sp-cliprep7jan07,1,26837.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-clippe

or is Sam another nick van exel?

He is so out of L.A. if Elton Brand doesn't come back before season's end and salvage some sort of dignity back to the horrific Clippers season.

thoughts?

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/1/1c/200px-55993670LB010_Clipps_Lakrs111901_10.jpg

urunobili
01-09-2008, 08:14 AM
good leadership... championship experience too... dunno about how much he has left on his tank

spurscenter
01-09-2008, 08:15 AM
good leadership... championship experience too... dunno about how much he has left on his tank

Yea, he brings it every game
but
he has been fighting injuries but set to come back 100% this week.

he was lighting up lots of teams like Suns and co. when healthy

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/1295/gamelog;_ylt=ApbmTWXPg1qnu4WzCxQonwekvLYF

m33p0
01-09-2008, 08:44 AM
An old Cassell would still be better than Jack Vaughn even if its only for half a season. Nothing against Vaughn. He has been good for the Spurs in terms of what is asked of him and what he can do. Cassell is one of those guys that is confident no matter what.

The only downside into bringing in Cassell is the same for any newcomer: learning the system. This is specially troublesome since he is a point guard.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-09-2008, 08:44 AM
I was wondering about Sam too... he has the experience, can still shoot (sometimes), but he is a matador on D. I wonder how quickly he'd adjust to the Spurs' system, or whether Pop could stand his D.

Won't happen, because I think Pop will soon give the team the same ultimatum as he did last year - no trades, this is the team we win or lose with, now work out how to do the former.

ancestron
01-09-2008, 09:26 AM
I like Sam I Am but I dont see it working out with him in silver and black.

Cassell and Van Exel are best friends btw

m33p0
01-09-2008, 09:39 AM
He also doesn't fit Pop's criteria for a Spur of someone who has "gotten over themselves."

But he's old and a journeyman.

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

2centsworth
01-09-2008, 09:44 AM
I would love Sam as a Spur. He doesn't have the defensive game, but neither did Van Exel and Pop played him. However, Sam is a consistent scorer.

nkdlunch
01-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Horry needs to give him a call

Rummpd
01-09-2008, 10:48 AM
do it.

samikeyp
01-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Go for it! The Spurs already have two Frenchies, two Argies, a Dutchie and a Crucian Shaman.....why not add an alien?

:)

Bruno
01-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Cassell salary is $6.15M. If Spurs want to get him, they will likely had to trade Barry. If having Cassell worth losing Barry ? I'm not sure of that.

T Park
01-09-2008, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't trade Brent Barry for Cassell.

You guys are nuts.

Dex
01-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I can't imagine actually having to root for that mug.

tav1
01-09-2008, 11:05 AM
There are guys out there for which the Spurs might trade Brent Barry, but Sam Cassell is not one of them. I'm not sure the Spurs need a 3rd point; and, given the system, that Barry doesn't out rank any guy they'd be able to pick up. If they're in a pinch, Barry can play point and Udoka assume Barry's swing minutes. They only trade Barry if they get back someone who is proven or a prospect that fits into their long term picture. Otherwise why bother? If they trade with the Clippers, it'll be Maggette long before Cassell, but neither is likely.

angel_luv
01-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Smeagol to the Spurs for our " Get a veteran a ring" program. :lol

thispego
01-09-2008, 11:12 AM
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62258&highlight=cassell+spurs

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/c...l.3c34abb.html

Mike Monroe: In Clippers' Cassell, a foundation shows cracks

Web Posted: 03/14/2007 12:31 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

Aware he would be defending Tony Parker in a few hours, Clippers point guard Jason Hart, a one-time Spurs player, wanted to work on his post defense Tuesday after his team's morning shootaround at the AT&T Center. Parker, the Spurs' All-Star guard, likes to get in the paint and create. Hart wanted to be ready.
Sam Cassell accommodated his young teammate, and when it comes to point guards creating in the paint, Parker could take some lessons from "Sam-I-Am."

Cassell scored on Hart with five different moves. Hart headed for the locker room, but Cassell demanded he return for another play.

"You can't leave until you get a stop," the veteran of 13 NBA seasons said, then gave Hart an easy way out by clanking an off-balance 10-footer.

Cassell laughed, took a seat, then sighed.

"How do you feel?" a visitor asked.

"Awful," said Cassell. "Getting old's a trip."

Cassell is 38, ancient for an NBA point guard. He's battled plantar fasciitis, a pulled abdominal muscle, a strained groin, and his back hurts. He never knows, day to day, if his body will allow him to play in the next Clippers game.

"He's always day to day," said a reporter who covers the team.

On Tuesday, it was more like hour to hour. After promising after the morning shoot that he would be in uniform that night, Cassell had to scratch himself before tipoff.

"My abdominal may pull at any time with the slightest little movement now," Cassell said Tuesday morning. "Just trying to post up Jason, I'm trying to monitor every little movement to see how I do. But at game speed, you can't monitor stuff like that."

Were Cassell like Robert Horry, his friend and former teammate on the Rockets, he probably would've had plenty of time to let his aches and pains and pulls heal this season. The Spurs have enough depth up front to allow Horry to play an average of only 17.3 minutes and still have the third-best record in the NBA.

Horry's legs are being saved for big playoff minutes, when his big shots will be more meaningful.

The Clippers have been beset by injuries all season, especially at the point. Shaun Livingston suffered what some sports doctors described as the worst knee injury they ever had seen. He's not just out for the rest of this season. He likely will also miss next season.

Even when he's been hurting, Cassell has had to play. He's old enough to know better, too much of a competitor to say no. He's missed 15 games after sitting out Tuesday but probably should have sat out a few more.

Save himself for the playoffs, like his buddy Horry? Take himself out of the lineup too often, and the Clippers aren't going to make the playoffs.

"Yeah," Cassell said, "it's a Catch-22."

Horry and Cassell won two championships in Houston. They became best friends by default.

"He's so competitive," Horry said, "and when he first got there, he looked around and said, 'I can't argue with Dream (Hakeem Olajuwon). I can't argue with Otis (Thorpe). I can't argue with Clyde (Drexler).' So we used to argue with each other. Sometimes you want to let your frustrations out. When something went wrong, you want to vent your frustrations on somebody who can let it slide."

Like Horry, Cassell remains one of the league's most feared, and fearless, clutch shooters.

Horry would like to see his friend in a situation to go out with another title.

"I think he's got about two, three years left in him," Horry said. "Maybe someday he can be Tony's backup, give him some solid minutes. Then he could play the kind of minutes I do."

The notion brought a wide smile to Cassell's face.

"Tell that to Pop," Cassell said.

SenorSpur
01-09-2008, 11:18 AM
I'm not saying Cassell wouldn't be a slight improvement from Vaughn, but you've got to pick your poison. Cassell's occassional, hot-shooting to Vaughn's offensive inconsistency. Cassell's matador defense to Vaughn's on-the-ball pressure.

Please! Have we not learned anything from the failed NVE experiment? Let's move beyond the old, "washed-up", over-the-hill, PGs.

Bruno
01-09-2008, 11:24 AM
The only scenario, I can see Cassell to Spurs is Clippers not finding a trade at the deadline, being lottery bounded and waiving him to give Cassell a chance to get a ring.
In that case he would be available for a min salary but you can wonder 2 things :
First, are Spurs ready to have a new backup PG less than 2 months before the playoffs while Pop seems to like Vaughn ?
Second, why would Cassel choose Spurs aver Celtics where he could play with KG and Allen ?

spurscenter
01-09-2008, 11:29 AM
thispego, great find

WalterBenitez
01-09-2008, 11:34 AM
He could bring us good experience, talent ... but another young boy in our roster?

BeerIsGood!
01-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Not via trade. No way giving up Barry for Cassell.

wildbill2u
01-09-2008, 11:43 AM
Cassell would be the Return of the NVE Cadaver.

His occasional hot shooting hand would be outweighed by his general lack of D effort and lack of experience in the Spurs defensive system.

We need to dance with the girl we brought to the dance.

MoSpur
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
I had never read that article about Horry and Cassell. Good find. I would like the Spurs to find a better backup PG, but I don't know if Cassell is that guy.

lefty
01-09-2008, 11:48 AM

You guys are nuts.

+1.

Don't get me wrong; I love Sam Cassel, he's one of my favorite non-Spurs, but somehow, I prefer to have Barry in our system.

A good package would be Vaughn + Johnson

AFBlue
01-09-2008, 12:16 PM
+1.

Don't get me wrong; I love Sam Cassel, he's one of my favorite non-Spurs, but somehow, I prefer to have Barry in our system.

A good package would be Vaughn + Johnson

Earlier in the thread it was stated....

Cassell makes over $6M and any deal for him would have to be somewhere in that range.

That means Barry or some combination like Bonner/Elson. I'm not even sure an Elson/Vaughn gets you within the %.

Bottom Line: Not a horrible idea, but it ain't gonna work.

Bruno
01-09-2008, 12:30 PM
I'm not even sure an Elson/Vaughn gets you within the %.

It doesn't work. You had to add Mahinmi or Udoka.

FromWayDowntown
01-09-2008, 01:13 PM
The "get a veteran a ring" concept doesn't really work with Cassell unless it's morphed into a "get a veteran another ring notion.

Sam Cassell has 2 rings.

CaptainLate
01-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Something's got to be done to make Vaughn the 3rd PG. We don't need an Avery Johnson type backing up TP. We need someone who can spread the floor with their shooting and play decent defense (not great) -- which Beno can do. Now we'll have to overpay for a backup.

AFBlue
01-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Something's got to be done to make Vaughn the 3rd PG. We don't need an Avery Johnson type backing up TP. We need someone who can spread the floor with their shooting and play decent defense (not great) -- which Beno can do. Now we'll have to overpay for a backup.

As much as I'd love to agree with your argument, I actually made the same argument last year....and the Spurs won the 'ship.

Vaughn is not a great PG or even a good one, but he is serviceable and has proven that you can trust him NOT to screw up games.

Oh, and the player you described above is actually the Spurs' de facto third PG....his name is Brent Barry.

Fabbs
01-09-2008, 01:45 PM

You guys are nuts.
T Park does this mean you are seeing the light on Barrdog?
I have seen the light on 2007 playoff Findawg. You did call it all season long.

Cassell has to be on the floor to help Spurs in playoffs. With his injury history do we want him. Plus what can he do at backup point guard that Barrdog could not do? (given the Pop chance)

Spurs Dynasty 21
01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
too good to be true to land in SA

but what would the Spus have to give up? Barry AT LEAST

SenorSpur
01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I hate to say this, but if the Spurs didn't plan on developing Washington, perhaps they simply should've held onto Beno for another year instead. Knowing how much we all despised Beno, and rightfully so, I shudder to even think about it. Fact remains, is our backup PG situation is still a bit unsettled.

Bruno
01-09-2008, 02:31 PM
^ Spurs have kept, with Vaughn, the player who has won the backup PG spot over Udrih. I don't see how keeping Udrih would have improved the backup PG spot because he would have been Spurs 3rd PG.

SenorSpur
01-09-2008, 02:36 PM
^ Spurs have kept, with Vaughn, the player who has won the backup PG spot over Udrih. I don't see how keeping Udrih would have improved the backup PG spot because he would have been Spurs 3rd PG.

Only thing is Vaughn can't spread the floor with his shooting.

spurscenter
01-09-2008, 02:45 PM
here guys

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/trademachine

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=42~874~138&teams=12~12~24&te=&cash=

Bruno
01-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Only thing is Vaughn can't spread the floor with his shooting.

He couldn't also spread the floor last year. What makes you think that Pop would have gave Beno playtime over Vaughn this year while he hasn't done that last year ?

I just don't get what you are that worried about the backup PG spot. Vaughn isn't the most talented player but with him, Spurs have had their first decent backup PG since Claxton.
Maybe you are worried about the future but Vaughn isn't that old. He could still be serviceable for a couple of years. Spurs have also tried to get a young prospect PG. They worked out tons of PGs before the draft but it seems that none was worth being drafted and they gave a chance to Washington but he sucked at improving his weaknesses.

freemeat
01-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I got to sit directly behind the Clippers' bench on Sunday (row b) and got to hear just about everything their team was saying...and it was very interesting to see Cassell's leadership even when he wasn't playing.

He would yell at his teammates with advice on where screens were coming from and how to play certain Spurs players on defense. I was truly impressed with his knowledge of the game. It seems like he's also sort of taken Maggette and some of the other younger players under his "wing" a bit.

While Kaman was standing at the free throw line, he was looking over at Dunleavy. Because he was distracted, he didn't see the official bounce the ball to him (which seemed to be pre-mature anyway, since the other players were still getting set). The ball hit Kaman in the thigh. He picked it up and was about to go into his free-throw routine, when Cassell stood off the bench and yelled at Kaman to throw it back to the official. He was concerned that Kaman would be thrown off any sort of rhythm and wanted the official to physically bounce the ball into Kaman's hands.

Very heady moment from Sam I Am.

He might be frustrated in L.A., but he is still a true professional...the kind I think Pop would absolutely love...if only he were at least a few years younger.

I think he's an upgrade over J.V. talent-wise, but his strong personality (as much as I like it) might mess with the Spurs' chemistry. I'd be interested to see what the trade possibilities are, but I'm not sure it's worth making any moves of this magnitude on a team that is defending a championship with basically the same players it had before.

Don't fix it if it isn't broken.

The Spurs are struggling right now, but they always do. Making a move like this would strike me as panic on the behalf of the front office, which would strike me as being completely out of character.

Interesting idea, but I wouldn't do it unless someone else had won the championship last season.

Mr. Body
01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Cassell would be a great addition, but he's too expensive to make it work out. Some mark him, as freemeat has said, as a future coach. His clutch shooting and leadership would be assets off the bench, and to reunite the youth movement of the 94-95 Rockets. But the salaries don't work, even if it were for Barry.

thispego
01-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I got to sit directly behind the Clippers' bench on Sunday (row b) and got to hear just about everything their team was saying...and it was very interesting to see Cassell's leadership even when he wasn't playing.

He would yell at his teammates with advice on where screens were coming from and how to play certain Spurs players on defense. I was truly impressed with his knowledge of the game. It seems like he's also sort of taken Maggette and some of the other younger players under his "wing" a bit.

While Kaman was standing at the free throw line, he was looking over at Dunleavy. Because he was distracted, he didn't see the official bounce the ball to him (which seemed to be pre-mature anyway, since the other players were still getting set). The ball hit Kaman in the thigh. He picked it up and was about to go into his free-throw routine, when Cassell stood off the bench and yelled at Kaman to throw it back to the official. He was concerned that Kaman would be thrown off any sort of rhythm and wanted the official to physically bounce the ball into Kaman's hands.

He might be frustrated in L.A., but he is still a true professional...the kind I think Pop would absolutely love...if only he were at least a few years younger.

I think he's an upgrade over J.V. talent-wise, but his strong personality (as much as I like it) might mess with the Spurs' chemistry. I'd be interested to see what the trade possibilities are, but I'm not sure it's worth making any moves of this magnitude on a team that is defending a championship with basically the same players it had before.

The Spurs are struggling right now, but they always do. Making a move like this would strike me as panic on the behalf of the front office, which would strike me as being completely out of character.

Interesting idea, but I wouldn't do it unless someone else had won the championship last season.
cool insight, let me have your behind the bench seats for a game in the future :tu

ChumpDumper
01-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Cassell said he wasn't at the point of requesting a trade.The thread title is misleading.

td4mvp21
01-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I would take him. He is clutch and he is still a decent midrange shooter. His defense is not good but he is a good, experienced and clutch player.

SenorSpur
01-09-2008, 10:55 PM
I would take him. He is clutch and he is still a decent midrange shooter. His defense is not good but he is a good, experienced and clutch player.

you're being kind. His defense is horrendous.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-09-2008, 10:56 PM
When I first heard his deep-as-hell voice I was startled.

bigfundamental21
01-10-2008, 12:50 AM
Go for it! The Spurs already have two Frenchies, two Argies, a Dutchie and a Crucian Shaman.....why not add an alien?

:)

:lol Bring on ET.

If we could swing a reasonable deal, that would be great, but I wouldn't give up too much for him.

SequSpur
01-10-2008, 01:06 AM
trade vaughn, elson and bonner

SequSpur
01-10-2008, 01:07 AM
you then create more cap room and you don't lose shit. elson and bonner won't play in the playoffs anyway. you can bring down mahinmini, whatever his name is, vaughn will probably get waived cuz he sucks, so he can come back anyway.

wtf? do it.

jbspurs
01-10-2008, 03:25 AM
Smeagol to the Spurs for our " Get a veteran a ring" program. :lol

I think He got 1 or 2 already...

Texas_Ranger
01-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Francisco Elson & J. Vaughn & 2nd Round Pick for Sam Cassell

That would be a great trade. :fro

spurscenter
01-10-2008, 09:03 AM

yeah, was there too but on the other side, cool to hear pop and co, hollering and screaming, AL THORNTON!!!!!!!!!! AL, what the $%#$
Good ol' Ranger j. ludden was there with family close by writing his next novel. U can tell that PJ is missed in a way, seems weird without him.
re: trade, you dont trade bonner , i would say. u need size in playoffs.
im sure imo, sam is going somehwhere before season is over, perhaps suns, denver or dallas.

Mr. Body
01-10-2008, 09:04 AM
That would be a great trade.

Pigs would fly, etc. Because it literally doesn't work. You have to add another salary.

spurscenter
01-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Pigs would fly, etc. Because it literally doesn't work. You have to add another salary.

yea, your right. it would have to be 800,000 more or so. that why barry works and vaughn. sam is a great teammate and wears his heart on his sleeve.

spurscenter
01-30-2008, 06:09 AM
sam now might be going to boston

Celts interested in Cassell more than Stoudamire?

The Boston Celtics appear to be taking their time on Damon Stoudamire. Having been bought out by the Memphis Grizzlies, the veteran point guard will clear waivers on Wednesday, which is a formality, as he has no contract to pick up.

According to league sources, the Celts are checking out other possibilities and it's believed they may have interest in another player, thought to be Sam Cassell of the Los Angeles Clippers. That matter would require time to work out, but the C's will have to move quickly on Stoudamire if they want him.

Source: Boston Herald

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Ouch. Cassell would be perfect there. Watch out if this happens...

pad300
01-30-2008, 11:06 AM
1) We need a better backup PG now, not later, and the only way we get Sam Cassel now is to trade for him. At his current salary, we would give up too much. The Clippers will likely only waive him after the trade deadline; they see him as a potentially leverageable asset right now.
2) I would welcome Sam to come to the Spurs for the Vet Min next year. He would be either 2nd or 3ed PG, and I would LOVE to have his leadership and coldblooded clutchness on the team.

Indazone
01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Cassell would be a great pt for the Spurs if only for a year. He's also what all GM's covet. An expiring contract.

genomefreak13
01-30-2008, 11:54 AM

You guys are nuts.

Got to agree with T-park on this. With Barry healthy, we get a Two-in one deal. A versatile forward and a big point guard. Plus! he know the spurs system very well.

Casell is not worth dealing with. Aside from his bulky contract, he has problems with being the man coming off the bench. From Pop's previous actions, he usually gets those sacrificing-give it all veterans (who would die to get a championship). Right now, casell is still dealing with his ego and money problems. So not worth it.

Ghost Writer
01-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Spurs should target Cassell over Stoudamire, but they can get Mighty Mouse instead of Curious George easier.

Indazone
01-30-2008, 12:06 PM
You guys forgot. Throw in Bonner's salary and you have a winner!!

spurscenter
01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
barry for cassell works straight up but I highly doubt clips take that.

baseline bum
01-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Sam Cassell, at 38, is still capable of giving 30 strong minutes a game. He doesn't have three point range, but his midrange game is still deadly and I'd kill to see him in a Spurs uniform.

urunobili
01-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Cassell is more injury prone than the mighty mouse...but anyhow... he has a championships resume with him... and may give it all knowing it'll be his last shot for another ring...

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-30-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd want Cassell over Stoudamire as Parker's back-up.

He's a proven winner, and is a high IQ player. He's got the same intangibles as Manu and Horry.

nkdlunch
01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Cassell > Barry

Amuseddaysleeper
01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't see Sam coming here. I see him heading off to Boston instead

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-30-2008, 03:03 PM
I can't see Sam coming here. I see him heading off to Boston instead
That would suck. He'd give them edge during the playoffs-- not that they need it anymore than they do.
He'd enjoy reuniting with KG, I suppose.

I wish he would rather reunite with his buddy Big Shot Bob. You know, someone he's actually WON championships with....I wish the trade was more doable, because it would be a different vet PG than the Nick Van Exel fiasco.
I didn't like Nick in his prime, and I don't like Damon Stoudamire. He'd probably bring us anti-championship residue, like Nick Van Exel did in 2006.

41times
01-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Forget Sam Cassell, if you don't mind an old guy then go after Jason Kidd. He has still got some game and for a couple of years he could reall help the team.

The problem is what would you have to give up to get him?

DazedAndConfused
01-30-2008, 04:09 PM
The word over here is they are keeping Sam for this year. Crazy ass Clippers management think they can still make the playoffs

wildbill2u
01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
We could presumably pick up Stoudamire on waivers vs. giving up someone for Cassell. I don't know if Sam is that much better than Stoudamire.

Russ
01-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Cassell and Horry back together? In a Spurs uniform? What a confluence of bad memories.

And if you think Horry is losing it, try taking on a gold-bricking ex-Clipper. No ex-Clippers at the point (and that goes for you, too, Mr. Boykins).

debo
01-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Francrisco hands and Finley to the pacers
Tinsley to the clippers
and we get Cassell.

perhaps one of the most unrealistic trades ever but at least i got the numbers to work.