PDA

View Full Version : Kobe And The Make-A-Wish Foundation

duncan228
01-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Whether you like Kobe or not, this is a side of him everyone should know about.

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/kobe-bryant-make-1956078-a-wish

Bryant's work with kids brings joy, though sometimes it's fleeting
Kobe Bryant meets every child brought to him through the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which means not every ending will be happy.
Kevin Ding

The first part of the sentence comes out naturally, spoken with the understated affection of fathers toward sons. The end part is reality sinking back in.

"He wouldn't shut up about it," Billy Thorington says, "until his last day."

Billy is reflecting on how memorable it was for his son, with the help of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, to meet Kobe Bryant. And as Billy taps back into the spirit, explaining why it was such a perfect wish, he slips into the present tense for just a moment: "Cody loves basketball."

Billy doesn't notice it. He just goes on to say how right it felt to place a Bryant-autographed photo in Cody's casket.

We met Cody Thorington, 15, and Chris Chavez, 14, on these pages in March in a piece about Bryant's work with the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

Now it's time to say goodbye.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation helps those with life-threatening situations, not necessarily terminal ones, yet there are many unhappy endings. In answering every Make-A-Wish request to come his way, Bryant has met more than 100 kids. He estimates 20 have died within a year.

"Some of them days after," he said.

In that room, the talk is of embracing life. That was the crux of the column in March: Cody, Chris and the unique energy that charged a bare, little room at Staples Center where they separately met Bryant. Rest assured, it was far more party than pity.

That's because the kids smile — for a change — and Bryant insists on smiling back.

"It's tough every time, but they don't want to see you down," Bryant said. "They don't want to be treated like patients. They just want to be kids. They just want to feel normal. They just want to have fun."

Cody and Chris did all that in their meetings with Bryant about a week apart. Eight months later, they died about a week apart, too.

One of the things Bryant addressed in all that life talk with Cody is how to be motivated by adversity: "If they say you can't do it, prove them wrong." Even though Cody's form of cancer, rhabdomyosarcoma, is considered incurable, they were not empty words.

Just three weeks before his death, Cody did prove them wrong: The doctors said he would never walk again, but there Cody was, up and out of his wheelchair and even crossing the street — amazing his relatives with a surprise stroll to their house.

A week later, the tide turned and Cody was in the hospice. Billy would be there — same as he was early on in taking his sons and leaving his wife upon discovering she was abusing them. To be with Cody as his health declined, Billy missed more than a few shifts at his job in Davenport, Iowa, pulling parts from damaged cars. That didn't help the financial disaster left from two years of Cody's medical bills.

What did help was a $5,000 check from the "Nation of Neighbors Gift Patrol," a nonprofit group that heard of Billy's plight and surprised him just before Christmas. As wonderful as Billy said that was in keeping him from losing his house, the hospital bills still need settling. There's also the matter of Cody's headstone; they won't deliver it until Billy finds money for that, too.

This isn't a story about saving grace or everything working out. What the sadness does lead to is Bryant holding his daughters for an extra deep breath at bedtime, and perhaps we can all resolve to appreciate what we have a little more.

About all else there is on the bright side is that the Make-A-Wish Foundation keeps helping, Bryant keeps meeting kids, and those kids do keep smiling.

Upon meeting Bryant two Fridays ago, O'Neal Mitchell of Tenaha, Texas, surmised that Bryant wasn't as tall as advertised. Bryant, listed at 6-foot-7 when he entered the NBA and now listed at 6-6 (without the Afro, apparently), came clean with a grin: "I'm probably 6-5 in sneaks."

Bryant's wife, Vanessa, was there and had prodded him by saying she suspected the same thing — and measured her husband at home one day at 6-4 3/4. O'Neal smiled at getting the truth; he smiled again when Bryant dropped to a knee without being asked for photos next to the wheelchair-bound O'Neal, paralyzed since that day on the football field

Last Friday, Bryant met leukemia-stricken Randall Jones, just 4 1/2 years old. Randall started out nervously moving a mini-basketball from one hand to the other — until Bryant put him at ease with stories of how he used to play ball at that age.

When his mother would hear Bryant dribbling a ball and tell him, "Kobe, put that ball away!" Bryant would dribble inches off the ground to keep quieter — until his mother heard that, too. "And then I had to put the ball away," Bryant said, flashing an aw-shucks smile.

Soon enough, Randall was relaxed enough to ask Bryant point-blank: "You want to play me?" before showing off quite a nifty crossover-dribble move. When Bryant left, under his arm was a book the boy from Dallas had made out of construction paper, and on the last page was this, scribbled childishly but in very sure all caps: "THANK YOU FOR MAKING MY WISH COME TRUE."

These were the sort of memorable moments that Cody, Chris and their families got to place in vaults that should have had so many more memorable moments — but didn't.

Despite Chris spending three weeks in November 2006 in intensive care, then his heart stopping last January during a cancer-related blood transfusion, he and his family made it in from Salt Lake City to meet Bryant in March. Chris wore a Lakers sweatshirt, Air Zoom Kobe I sneakers and a smile.

He smiled again when he was back in a Salt Lake City hospital shortly before he died. Some Jazz players visited Chris and asked if he was a Jazz fan: "No," he said, grinning, "I like the Lakers."

Back in March, Chris' mother, Hasani, had said: "Due to his illness, we pretty much lost everything — our house, our car and even our dog. But that's OK. As long as Chris feels good, we all feel good, too."

This time, she says: "He was even buried with his Kobe shoes."

Hasani asks me to sign Chris' online guest-book obituary. As I do so, I notice the previous two entries are both hers.

Her words are far more meaningful than any I could write there or here.

"Hi, Christopher ... this is Mom. You've been gone for 15 days, and I miss you so much. Tomorrow is your birthday, and we will visit you. That's a promise. I cry every day for you, but knowing that you're no longer in pain eases my heartfelt pain. I'll love you always."

duncan228
01-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Here's the article from March, when Cody and Chris met Bryant.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/pros/lakers/kevindingsnbacolumn/article_1632413.php

Bryant brings joy to young fans
Kevin Ding

They forget about their illnesses that they can't pronounce. They find the energy to crane their necks and look up with the widest eyes. And they smile.

There is something totally pure in it, these children's core belief that Kobe Bryant is special and that him being there for them makes them special, too. Even when they blank out on their prepared questions or get so nervous that they don't say anything, they can still convey that special feeling, because the smile speaks for them every time.

"I couldn't stop smiling," said Cody Thorington, a 15-year-old from Davenport, Iowa, after meeting Bryant on Sunday at Staples Center. "And I can't stop smiling now."

The whole point is that they want to meet him, yet the love is not unrequited. The reason it really works is that he wants to meet them, too. It's why Bryant has met or is scheduled to meet every child who has ever asked the Make-A-Wish Foundation for him. The total will reach 100 in the coming days, a statistic that when you get down to it is more notable than whether Bryant ever scores that many points in a basketball game.

"This is a tremendous honor, a tremendous blessing, to help out and provide that moment of escape," Bryant said. "When I have the opportunity to do that, I'm going to do every single one of 'em."

The kids go into it believing they know Bryant, and perhaps they do to some extent. But Bryant believes he knows them, too. He has always viewed himself as an underdog who prides himself on his tenacity and has set out to do everything in life early.

Not unlike a child who has to face a life-threatening illness and must focus and strive for more.

"They're all fighters," Bryant said.

So on some level, there is a mutual respect in that room - which is ultimately what makes any relationship click. And it always clicks, whether it's just a 10-minute chat with a follow-up call or Bryant rents out Dave & Buster's for a day, or he flies to Las Vegas when he hears a child can't make a flight to meet him and might never leave the hospital.

For Chris Chavez, 14, to have met Bryant in March is quite a leap from November, when Chris had to rally after being in intensive care for three weeks with complications from chemotherapy treatment for lymphoma and was told that he wasn't strong enough for a bone-marrow transplant and thus might not see 2007. It's quite a leap from January, when his heart stopped during a blood transfusion and he had to be brought back, eventually getting a pacemaker.

The all-expenses-paid trip from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles from the Make-A-Wish Foundation wasn't just a reward for the difficult past, it was a lift for the difficult present and future. Said Chris' mother, Hasani: "Due to his illness, we pretty much lost everything - our house, our car and even our dog. But that's OK. As long as Chris feels good, we all feel good, too."

Bryant brought his wife and daughters to meet Chris, who was with his brother, sister and parents. The Chavezes later said that it felt more personal that way. Bryant prefers that no one outside the families be in the room.

"You get a chance to connect," he said. "You actually have dialogue with them. There aren't a million people around or cameras all over the place or you're talking to a big crowd. You're talking to an individual and his family, and that's the best part about it."

Chris had Air Zoom Kobe I sneakers on his feet. Cody has his sunglasses propped atop his bald head, just like some kid did that day he announced he would "take my talent to the NBA."

Cody had been originally scheduled to visit in December, but his treatment eliminated those plans. That happens a lot. Newport Beach's Brent Alcaraz, 17, missed Bryant's 65-point game March 16 because of doctor's orders after the mouth sores from chemotherapy for his high-risk leukemia got too dangerous. Brent was released from the hospital Friday and might yet make it to a game and a meeting with Bryant before the season is over.

The Make-A-Wish Foundation (www.wishocie.org) is about helping those with life-threatening illnesses, not necessarily terminal ones. Not every ending can be happy. That's why Bryant flew to Las Vegas in June and at least was able to bring some happiness before the ending for a 17-year-old named Juan Carlos.

They played video games in his hospital room. Bryant remembers the boy's girlfriend was there with his brother, sister and parents. Bryant remembers being complimented on his sunglasses, which he made into a gift for Juan Carlos.

"A couple weeks later, sure enough, he passed away," Bryant said.

What Bryant knows for sure is that no one was thinking about potential sadness while he was in that room. He has figured out that his best approach is to be himself, especially when he considers himself an optimist.

"They just want to appreciate each moment," he said. "They just want this moment to be special. This is their wish. So you have to put those emotions aside and not be worried or fearful for them, because they're not for themselves."

They're fighters, remember.

So the NBA superstar who has "carpe diem" (Latin for "seize the day") as the cover of his Web site knows he will never lack for something to talk about with them. That theme comes up repeatedly while Bryant is answering questions for Cody.

Bryant talks at one point about "taking one day at a time, putting one foot in front of the other and enjoying the next day." He talks later about being motivated by adversity and other people's doubts: "It makes you absolutely crazy. If they say you can't do it, prove them wrong."

Cody, whose form of cancer (rhabdomyosarcoma) is generally considered incurable, doesn't just smile. He nods in understanding.

LakeShow
01-09-2008, 12:06 PM
Nice! :clap

Medvedenko
01-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Yeah, Kobe can be a prick off and on the court...but he does well regarding working with children.

spursfan09
01-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Yeah, Kobe can be a prick off and on the court...but he does well regarding working with children.

Yeah thats why I like Kobe. As Spurs fans all my friends hate him, but I can tell he is a good person in that way. When the Lakers were winning championships and beating the Spurs I have to admit I liked them for some strange reason, and I was rooting for them to beat the Kings. Oh and I was so happy when Roho hit that shot against them. I liked him for some reason to, and now I know why.

ratm1221
01-09-2008, 02:16 PM

So does Michael Jackson.

http://www.lileks.com/bleats/archive/02/1102/1103art/mwah.jpg

Ronaldo McDonald
01-09-2008, 02:49 PM
what a great guy...

unfortunately it seems like we have hardly any nba players who are like this.

and what a shame that it is.

1Parker1
01-09-2008, 08:04 PM
I really like the Make A Wish Foundation in general. Props to Kobe for supporting it. Though I have to say, there are a lot of NBA players who support it as well.