PDA

View Full Version : 'Meanest Mom on Planet' Sells Teen Son's Car After Finding Booze Under Seat

desflood
01-09-2008, 12:02 PM
We need way more parents like this one...

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

DES MOINES, Iowa — Jane Hambleton has dubbed herself the "meanest mom on the planet."

After finding alcohol in her son's car, she decided to sell the car and share her 19-year-old's misdeed with everyone — by placing an ad in the local newspaper.

The ad reads: "OLDS 1999 Intrigue. Totally uncool parents who obviously don't love teenage son, selling his car. Only driven for three weeks before snoopy mom who needs to get a life found booze under front seat. $3,700/offer. Call meanest mom on the planet."

Hambleton has heard from people besides interested buyers since recently placing the ad in The Des Moines Register.

The 48-year-old from Fort Dodge says she has fielded more than 70 telephone calls from emergency room technicians, nurses, school counselors and even a Georgia man who wanted to congratulate her.

"The ad cost a fortune, but you know what? I'm telling people what happened here," Hambleton says. "I'm not just gonna put the car for resale when there's nothing wrong with it, except the driver made a dumb decision.

"It's overwhelming the number of calls I've gotten from people saying 'Thank you, it's nice to see a responsible parent.' So far there are no calls from anyone saying, 'You're really strict. You're real overboard, lady."'

The only critic is her son, who Hambleton says is "very, very unhappy" with the ad and claims the alcohol was left by a passenger.

Hambleton believes her son but has decided mercy isn't the best policy in this case. She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving: No booze, and always keep it locked.

The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week — just for the feedback.

thispego
01-09-2008, 12:29 PM
The car has been sold, but Hambleton says she will continue the ad for another week — just to stroke her ego some more.

01-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Sucks to be an idiot teenager.

Bob Loblaw.
01-09-2008, 12:35 PM
If I were that kid I'd recommend he take legal action against his mother.

01-09-2008, 12:45 PM
If I were that kid I'd recommend he take legal action against his mother.

Still working on that whole concept of coherent sentences Bob?

Keep at it skippy, you'll get the hang of it yet.

BacktoBasics
01-09-2008, 12:47 PM
Did the mom pay for the car or did the kid? He is 19 so if he payed for it or it was titled in his name this could get even better.

mrsmaalox
01-09-2008, 12:48 PM

:lmao

01-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Did the mom pay for the car or did the kid? He is 19 so if he payed for it or it was titled in his name this could get even better.

She says she set two rules when she bought the car at Thanksgiving

R.I.F.

Ya'll are really making this too easy...

Bob Loblaw.
01-09-2008, 01:02 PM

Sorry, my brain is a little fried. I spent all night working on the Bob Loblaw Law Blog.

BacktoBasics
01-09-2008, 01:13 PM
R.I.F.

Ya'll are really making this too easy...You can't expect me to read the entire article.

samikeyp
01-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Awesome. :tu

Dex
01-09-2008, 01:38 PM
Should've followed Rule #2.

mrsmaalox
01-09-2008, 04:35 PM
You know acouple of weeks ago my kid got picked up by the sheriff, joy riding at 3am with his buddies (no drugs or alcohol); he was grounded with HARD labor for all of Christmas break and lost all electronics for 6 weeks. The other kids in the car with him were out running around 2 days later! Apparently their parents felt sorry for them to be grounded over Christmas break! Sheesh!

2Blonde
01-09-2008, 09:46 PM
You know a couple of weeks ago my kid got picked up by the sheriff, joy riding at 3am with his buddies (no drugs or alcohol); he was grounded with HARD labor for all of Christmas break and lost all electronics for 6 weeks. The other kids in the car with him were out running around 2 days later! Apparently their parents felt sorry for them to be grounded over Christmas break! Sheesh!
That's funny...my daughter was grounded over Christmas Break too. Her crime didn't quite come to that level so she only got 5 days but it still got the point across. She decided to try smoking a cigarette with her friend, in the bathroom, when she knew I would be home in the next twenty minutes. The second I walked in the house she was busted and so ended her her smoking habit of 6 cigarettes over 2 weeks. She sucks as a criminal and always leaves evidence of her crimes and is a horrible liar (Thank God). I knew she had been smoking already because she kept asking for gum and was wearing some perfume really heavy which did nothing to mask the scent, just made it more nauseating to be close to her.

If wasn't for bad ideas I don't think teenagers would have any at all.

01-10-2008, 10:05 AM
That's funny...my daughter was grounded over Christmas Break too. Her crime didn't quite come to that level so she only got 5 days but it still got the point across. She decided to try smoking a cigarette with her friend, in the bathroom, when she knew I would be home in the next twenty minutes. The second I walked in the house she was busted and so ended her her smoking habit of 6 cigarettes over 2 weeks. She sucks as a criminal and always leaves evidence of her crimes and is a horrible liar (Thank God). I knew she had been smoking already because she kept asking for gum and was wearing some perfume really heavy which did nothing to mask the scent, just made it more nauseating to be close to her.

If wasn't for bad ideas I don't think teenagers would have any at all.

Shoulda bought her a pack of Camel unfiltered and had her sit with you on the back porch with the understanding that she had two choices:

1. Take the grounding right then and there and risk more if she's caught again.

Or

2. No grounding at all but she has to smoke the entire pack right then and there.

Hey, if we can't torture our own kids, then why have them?

Dex
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
This lady was on USA Today this morning WITH the kid. Just further bloating her ego.

She said on the show that she wrote the ad that way to help sell the car. She also said she works in broadcasting on a radio show, and she didn't want to say anything about it on the air to "publicly embarrass" her son...

Because I'm sure online exposure and national television isn't doing the trick.

I'm not defending what the kid did. But I'm sure all of you did something wrong in your time, myself included. At least you didn't have it dragged onto BBC and USA Today by your mom.

Melmart1
01-10-2008, 10:15 AM
What an attention whore. Will she get her own reality show next? :rolleyes

MoSpur
01-10-2008, 10:20 AM
That ad is funny. Good for her.

CuckingFunt
01-10-2008, 10:21 AM
I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the fact that this woman is such an attention whore, or that inconsequential shit like this is taken so seriously these days that she was able to milk it for a national TV appearance.

Melmart1
01-10-2008, 11:59 AM
I don't know if I'm more annoyed by the fact that this woman is such an attention whore, or that inconsequential shit like this is taken so seriously these days that she was able to milk it for a national TV appearance.
No shit. People are applauding her for being a parent? :wtf You are SUPPOSED to do that shit.

It's especially annoying because it never said he was drinking and driving. He could have just been hiding it from her. Illegal? Yes. Worthy of national, public humiliation? Not even close. Let's hope the money from the sale of the car goes to her son's therapy, he might need it.

ploto
01-10-2008, 12:47 PM
It's especially annoying because it never said he was drinking and driving. He could have just been hiding it from her. Illegal? Yes. Worthy of national, public humiliation? Not even close. Let's hope the money from the sale of the car goes to her son's therapy, he might need it.
I applaud her for taking the car away. Obviously the son is old enough to decide for himself whether or not to go on television. I guess he likes the attention, too.

As for saying - so what, that is what parents are supposed to do. Yes, but you would be surprised how few actually do.

Dex
01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
EmJ3bYZaQWY

omg teh bootleg has leaked!

Melmart1
01-10-2008, 01:46 PM
As for saying - so what, that is what parents are supposed to do. Yes, but you would be surprised how few actually do.
I am not so naive as to think that there are not lots of shitty parents out there. I realize there are. However, that doesn't mean that we applaud the ones who actually do it. Is that what it has come to? If that's the case, in 20 years are we going to be applauding people who wipe their ass properly? You are supposed to clean the shit!

Also, she admitted she was just doing what she was supposed to do, admitted her son never said any of the phrases in the ad, she doesn't want to publically humiliate him and then said she wasn't doing this for publicity :lmao What an annoying, lying cunt.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
What an attention whore. Will she get her own reality show next? :rolleyes

Probably....the sad thing is people would watch.

thispego
01-10-2008, 01:54 PM
EmJ3bYZaQWY

omg teh bootleg has leaked!
damn, shes hot

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-10-2008, 02:33 PM
God bless the 24 hour news cycle. I've gone from thinking "That's kinda cool" to "Lord, I wish someone would put a bullet in her" in record time.

Dario
01-10-2008, 03:32 PM
My guess is that they both just made that up. Kinda sad really

T Park
01-10-2008, 03:50 PM
bravo to her.

TheSanityAnnex
01-10-2008, 03:58 PM
bravo to her.Bravo for what? I've found stupid shit (beer, liquor, weed, cocaine, pipes) people have left in my seat pockets and glove box without me know a couple of times. The mom even said she believes it wasn't his? What fucking bullshit. Ground the kid, but no need to sell his car. He wasn't caught drinking in the car. He wasnt' arrested for a d.u.i. He didn't crash his car because he was drunk. He had an unopened beer under his seat!!! OMGZERS!

At least the kid will be getting some needed excercise now that he'll have to walk everywhere.

Edit: Just watched the video and saw that the kid's not fat at all. In fact, where the hell did that kid come from?

TheSanityAnnex
01-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Why is the kid so happy in the video? If my parents had done that to me growing up I wouldn't have spoken to them for months, let alone go on National Television and laughed with my mom about the situation.

Sounds like bullshit.

Sunshine
01-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Bravo for what? I've found stupid shit (beer, liquor, weed, cocaine, pipes) people have left in my seat pockets and glove box without me know a couple of times. The mom even said she believes it wasn't his? What fucking bullshit. Ground the kid, but no need to sell his car. He wasn't caught drinking in the car. He wasnt' arrested for a d.u.i. He didn't crash his car because he was drunk. He had an unopened beer under his seat!!! OMGZERS!

At least the kid will be getting some needed excercise now that he'll have to walk everywhere.

Edit: Just watched the video and saw that the kid's not fat at all. In fact, where the hell did that kid come from?

If my underage kid had booze or drugs in his car, then that means he let someone in his vehicle with the stuff. It's wrong no matter how you look at it.

Should she have done what she did? No, it was unneccessary, but she got her point across.

01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
If my underage kid had booze or drugs in his car, then that means he let someone in his vehicle with the stuff. It's wrong no matter how you look at it.

BUT IT'S JUST A LITTLE POT!!!!!!!!

/Obligatory

TheSanityAnnex
01-10-2008, 05:51 PM

And what if the passenger doesn't tell your kid what he has in his pockets? Do you expect your kid to do a pat down everytime someone gets into his/her car?

01-10-2008, 06:14 PM
And what if the passenger doesn't tell your kid what he has in his pockets? Do you expect your kid to do a pat down everytime someone gets into his/her car?

And a teenager is going to leave his weed/coke/booze in someone else's car and forget about it?

TSA, that's reaching.

A ways out there.

25 years back when I was that kid's age, I'll be damned if I was going to "forget" MY shit in someone else's car.

Fillmoe
01-10-2008, 07:46 PM
when i was 19 i was paying for my own car, it might not have been the nicest car in the world but at least the shit was mine!

ShoogarBear
01-10-2008, 11:00 PM
her son oughta put out an ad selling his mom's refrigerator.:lol

703 Spurz
01-11-2008, 10:48 AM
damn, shes hot

That fat bitch was looking to buy a few snack machines with the money she's selling the car for.

Hell I would too, why not?

desflood
01-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I'd like to revise my earlier statement...

We need way more parents like this one - who know how to STFU.