PDA

View Full Version : Pro basketball: Spurs aren't worried about standings for now

Dex
01-10-2008, 10:44 AM
Pro basketball: Spurs aren't worried about standings for now

Web Posted: 01/10/2008 12:01 AM CST

Jeff McDonald
Express-News Staff Writer

Dallas shares the Southwest Division lead with the Spurs and New Orleans is only a game back. Phoenix has already pulled past the Spurs in the race for the Western Conference's best record, with the Los Angeles Lakers, Denver and Portland all coming up fast.

Indeed, there was much for the Spurs to worry about in the latest installment of the NBA standings. That is, if the Spurs even deigned to look at them.

“You don't look at the standings when you've got only 30 games played,” guard Manu Ginobili said after practice Wednesday. “It was comfortable to be four games ahead of the rest, but that's not who we are. We are never comfortable.”

It's little secret the Spurs have not played their best of late. With seven defeats in 13 games, they've seen their record plummet from a once-lofty 17-3 to 23-10 heading into tonight's home game against Detroit.

The Spurs haven't put together a winning streak longer than two games since the first week of December, a big reason Ginobili, on the rare occasions when he does happen to peek at the standings, is surprised to see the Spurs still atop the division.

“We just need a spark,” Ginobili said. “We're not playing like we were in November, so I guess we need that something that gives you a push for the rest of the season.”

Don't look for the Pistons to play willing slump-buster tonight. Detroit has won 11 of its past 13 but comes into the game on a two-game losing streak after falling to Boston and Dallas.

An extraterrestrial: As much as he can appreciate its necessity, Ginobili isn't too fond of the plastic splint he has been forced to wear in order to protect the sprained index finger on his shooting hand.

“It's like an alien thing on my hand,” he said. “It's not normal.”

Ginobili has played two games with the splint, which he says affects his dribbling and ballhandling more than his shooting.

Ginobili was set to meet with doctors after Wednesday's practice to check his progress and possibly determine how much longer he has to keep wearing the device. The Spurs' medical staff would like him to continue to use it the rest of the month.

Home sweet home: In a favorable scheduling quirk, that will keep them sleeping in their own beds for 10 consecutive days, the Spurs play their next four games at home, where they are 17-2. They are 17-2 at the AT&T Center this season.

Apparently Jeff is doing his own editing now, too.

duncan228
01-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Apparently Jeff is doing his own editing now, too.

:lol

I thought he would grow on me, after all he writes about my team.
But it hasn't happened yet. I still find him hard to read.