PDA

View Full Version : statement game vs. Pistons?

Rummpd
01-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Pistons will be motivated after embarrassing two losses in a row for a hot team but will be on back to back in land of TX.

Spurs should take this one and hope they will also be extremely motivated to give it their all. Duncan has had trouble with R. Wallace in past but Rasheed no longer has B. Wallace at his back and Spurs trio + Bowen's defense should prevail.

Spurs 105 Pistons 100

AFBlue
01-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't think any game is a "statement game" for the Spurs until they have all of their players back healthy and have started to establish a momentum again.

I want to see how the Spurs do against major competition later on this month and next (Phx, Bos, NO, Cle, etc.).

SpurForLife
01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
Very much doubt the score will get that high. I will shoot more around a 88-84 Spurs win.

BonnerDynasty
01-10-2008, 10:56 AM
nope

remingtonbo2001
01-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Still too early...Our statement doesn't come unitl the RRT.
But if that's how you get pumped up for games, then be my guest and label it a statement game. :toast

m33p0
01-10-2008, 11:25 AM
no. just another game for both teams. they know each other too well by now to pull off any surprises.

101A
01-10-2008, 11:28 AM
The Spurs don't have to make statements - they made theirs last June. Next statement game is in April.

SenorSpur
01-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Coming off two consecutive losses, Detroit should play like the more desparate team. It'll be more of a statement game for Detroit than the Spurs.

duncan228
01-10-2008, 11:35 AM
I think the urge to label this a statement game comes from the '05 Finals.
It would seem that the Pistons would want to always prove that they can beat us to show that maybe they should have won that Title. And, the flip side, that we would always want to beat them to show we are the better team.

These teams play each other well, they are mirror images of each other in how they approach the game.

It's a great match up but I don't think it's a statement game. I reserve that label for the Playoffs.

tmtcsc
01-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Yeah, no statement games until playoffs. Like....smacking a "hot" Denver team in their own house. Tonight should be a good game between 2 teams wanting to play better and get a "W".

loveforthegame
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
No way the Spurs beat Detroit with the way they've been playing.

SenorSpur
01-10-2008, 11:40 AM

Agreed. I'm not very confident the Spurs will win this one either.

tmtcsc
01-10-2008, 11:44 AM
It would seem that the Pistons would want to always prove that they can beat us to show that maybe they should have won that Title..

Congratulations on using proper grammar and spelling. I'm not being an ass, I'm serious. I've seen people use "should of" instead of "should have".

MoSpur
I honestly think the Spurs will come out and try to really beat the Pistons. I think Tony will come out hot in the first and give the Spurs a big lead. The Spurs don't have to make a statement by winning, but if they lose a lot of people will start talking.

nkdlunch
Spurs don't play statement games in regular season anymore

sribb43
01-10-2008, 11:51 AM
No statement is needed by either team

spurs_fan_in_exile
01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Is it March yet? If not, then no statements. I'd be thrilled with a win though.

BonnerDynasty
01-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Spurs don't play statement games in regular season anymore

X100000000000000000000000000000

tmtcsc
01-10-2008, 12:08 PM

uh wha ? Dude, your Warriors will get smashed here...like always.

Warlord23
01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
It's not a statement game for anybody. The Spurs and the Pistons have got to the Finals without winning the most regular season games in their respective conferences. They have also fallen short of the Finals after winning the most games in their conferences (2006).

That said, with the Spurs struggling for consistency and the defense not being sharp enough, I expect the Pistons to beat us handily today.

cherylsteele
01-10-2008, 12:44 PM
I agree as well....so far this year they have been really playing up and down, however, injuries have played a part in that. The offense has been pretty good, it is the Spurs' defense that has been sub-par. Both teams seems to be pretty evenly matched, should be a close game and if it goes the way each team likes to play. I think the Spurs come out and give a solid effort as well as the Pistons. Spurs win in a FT battle down the stretch.

Spurs 91
Pistons 88

ancestron
01-10-2008, 01:25 PM
This is a major statement game. All Spurs fans are scared of this one and they know it. They are just acting like they aren't. The Spurs do not like to lose. Neither do thie Pistons, no matter how "meaningless" people may perceive it to be, this is a big game for both teams. With a Spurs win, it will be a big step toward gaining some rhythm, and building some much needed confidence within the group. If the Pistons win, everyone worries, calls the team soft, starts asking if they still have what it takes anymore, asking if they are too old and all that.
Is it as crucial as a playoff game? Of course not, but it is a big regular season game that will tell us a lot about the team, and more importantly, tell them a lot about themselves.

Ballcox
01-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Well, I would think the Pistons would amp up the intensity level tonight in hopes of avoiding a 3 game losting streak.

As for the Spurs, I don't think it would be a 'statement' game this early in the season. But anytime a big time opponent comes into your gym you want to send some kind of message at the minimum, let the other guy know you're not going to get pushed around.

I would also be great to start a 4 game home stretch with a quality win, maybe get some momentum going in the W column instead on the inconsistency we've had recently.

JamStone
01-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Not a statement game for either team. Piston starters have been shooting poorly lately, and that's not good for a jumpshooting team. Spurs should win. And, neither team should care more than any other regular season win or loss.

freemeat
01-10-2008, 01:58 PM
No statement is needed by either team

I completely agree.

Wait, you're a Mavs fan. Shit. I just completely agreed with a Mavs fan. Oh well...you're right.

Expect Detroit to bounce back after two bad losses and the Spurs to continue playing like crap. Should be a close game, but it's no "statement."

It's still fucking January, freaks.

JamStone
01-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Both teams are professionals. Both teams know they're playing a good opponent. Both teams will want to win. Both teams should play hard. Neither team will make much of the game after it's over, regardless of the outcome. Probably a low scoring game. Pistons have been shooting like fourth grade girls. Spurs apparently aint been playing well either. A nice 65-62 win for the Spurs sounds about right.

SAGambler
01-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I honestly think the Spurs will come out and try to really beat the Pistons. I think Tony will come out hot in the first and give the Spurs a big lead. The Spurs don't have to make a statement by winning, but if they lose a lot of people will start talking.

Then Vaughn will take over and the lead will vanish into thin air.

LEONARD
01-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I think we're going to get peter-rolled tonight... :(

bdubya
01-10-2008, 04:21 PM
A statement will be made all right. Something along these lines:

"For the record, let me state that I don't trust my bench with major minutes even if they're getting it done, that I'm not very good with in-game adjustments, and that I'm content to focus on the perimeter and don't care about the paint."

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/ccbu4l8a.jpg