20. Virginia
21. Michigan
22. Pittsburgh
23. Illinois
24. South Carolina
25. Fresno State

NoMoneyDown
01-10-2008, 11:12 AM
Wow. I see they still have no love for WVU. They return almost their entire offense (minus Schmitt and Reynaud) and lose a few players on defense, so they drop like a rock. Unless they figure White and Salton will both be going to the NFL.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 11:25 AM
y'all are going to call me a homer, but SC is better than every team ahead of them in this poll...at least they will be. hell, at least 2 of those games would be blowouts. that being said, i'm glad SC is ranked lower...have something to gun for instead of being #1 all the time...so, i like it.

p.s. t.u. is over ranked again, more like 15, imo. and what the hell is tekk doing at 12? ...more like 20 me thinks.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM
y'all are going to call me a homer, but SC is better than every team ahead of them in this poll...at least they will be. hell, at least 2 of those games would be blowouts. that being said, i'm glad SC is ranked lower...have something to gun for instead of being #1 all the time...so, i like it.

p.s. t.u. is over ranked again, more like 15, imo. and what the hell is tekk doing at 12? ...more like 20 me thinks.

Saw that coming. :)

degenerate_gambler
01-10-2008, 11:39 AM

I know they're bringing back most of their starters from last year but #12 does seem a stretch.

romad_20
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM

Please. Just try and hold off Stanford next year, powerhouse. :rolleyes

Ballcox
01-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow, jgw taking another shot at UT-what a fucking surprise. Come on man, if you really wanted to provide a 'voice of reason' with all the UT homers, why don't you go over to Hornsfan.com? You'll get plenty of attention over there.

As for this board, you're to the point of repeating the same take over and over and over and over...........

Get the picture? I doubt you do, so go ahead and be your usual redundant self, we're used to it.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 01:57 PM
Wow, jgw taking another shot at UT-what a fucking surprise. Come on man, if you really wanted to provide a 'voice of reason' with all the UT homers, why don't you go over to Hornsfan.com? You'll get plenty of attention over there.

As for this board, you're to the point of repeating the same take over and over and over and over...........

Get the picture? I doubt you do, so go ahead and be your usual redundant self, we're used to it.

how does that make my point any less valid? t.u. is consistently over rated...look how their seasons have gone the last 2 years after being ranked extremely high in the preseason. you may not like that i point it out, but its true.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Please. Just try and hold off Stanford next year, powerhouse. :rolleyes

lol, i'll make a bet with you...if you want. i'll even give you the spread.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 02:17 PM
t.u. is consistently over rated

In your opinion...doesn't make it true.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
In your opinion...doesn't make it true.

if you look at their preseason ranking and then the final result, how could you argue otherwise?

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 02:21 PM
how does that make my point any less valid? t.u. is consistently over rated...look how their seasons have gone the last 2 years after being ranked extremely high in the preseason. you may not like that i point it out, but its true.

Saw that coming too. :)

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 02:24 PM
if you look at their preseason ranking and then the final result, how could you argue otherwise?

Its all subjective.

Who determines what level of success needs to be achieved by a team with a particular ranking?

Does the 10th rated team need to have X amount of wins to be worthy? and if so, how many wins?

Does conference strength play into this?

Who ranks the conferences? Who's ranking is more accurate? Who determines that?

If team A is 8th and team B is 9th but both have 10 wins after having 2 and 3 the previous year..is that over or underacheiving?

If Team A is 6th going into the season but loses three key starters to injury and finishes out of the top 25, were they overrated in the pre-season ranking? If so...who determines that?

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Its all subjective.

Who determines what level of success needs to be achieved by a team with a particular ranking?

Does the 10th rated team need to have X amount of wins to be worthy? and if so, how many wins?

Does conference strength play into this?

Who ranks the conferences? Who's ranking is more accurate? Who determines that?

If team A is 8th and team B is 9th but both have 10 wins after having 2 and 3 the previous year..is that over or underacheiving?

If Team A is 6th going into the season but loses three key starters to injury and finishes out of the top 25, were they overrated in the pre-season ranking? If so...who determines that?

i don't even want to hear about injuries, thats cost SC the last 2 titles, imo. aside from that, i think you're over analyzing this...its easy to see, from anyone who watches CFB, that t.u. was overrated the last 2 years...and this year appears to be lucky #3. we'll see what the real polls say...

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 02:32 PM
i don't even want to hear about injuries, thats cost SC the last 2 titles, imo. aside from that, i think you're over analyzing this...its easy to see, from anyone who watches CFB, that t.u. was overrated the last 2 years...and this year appears to be lucky #3. we'll see what the real polls say...

Again...in your opinion..that doesn't make it fact. I know you believe that opinions and facts are the same but they are not.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 02:32 PM

I wasn't speaking of a specific team...it was in general.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Again...in your opinion..that doesn't make it fact. I know you believe that opinions and facts are the same but they are not.

lol, at what point do opinions become correct? and you'd be hard pressed to find a big CFB fan or good analyst who disagree with me, but if you think t.u. hasn't been over rated, i don't know what to tell you.

t.u. will often be over ranked, thanks to vyoung and mack brown. he's a holiday bowl coach wrapped in BCS clothing...enjoy that.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 02:47 PM
lol, at what point do opinions become correct? and you'd be hard pressed to find a big CFB fan or good analyst who disagree with me, but if you think t.u. hasn't been over rated, i don't know what to tell you.

t.u. will often be over ranked, thanks to vyoung and mack brown. he's a holiday bowl coach wrapped in BCS clothing...enjoy that.

At the point where they can be backed up by facts. Opinions are rarely correct because they are clouded by emotion which is the case here. I think that it would be easy to find a big CFB fan or good analyst who agrees with you, I also think it would be pretty easy to find a big CFB fan or good analyst who would disagree with you.

Texas will always be overranked in your opinion because you are incapable of objective thought when it comes to them.

degenerate_gambler
01-10-2008, 02:52 PM
Texas will always be overranked in your opinion because you are incapable of objective thought when it comes to them.

He won't tell you SC was overranked the past two years...ranked #1 in preseason but failing to win the MNC.

But obviously they were rated too high or else they would've finished the year ranked where they started.

Ballcox
01-10-2008, 03:01 PM
^He doesn't get it, never has and never will.

jgw, how do you constantly use these national polls as an indicator that we're over-rated? Hell, some polls before last season had us back at the 15-20 ranking, some had us in the top 10, who's to say what's accurate and what isn't? There were plenty of polls that had usc winning the national championship this last season. Instead you guys lose to Stanford and Oregon, so does that mean your team was over-rated as well?

The main point is that there is never any real consistency with the polls or with fan's opinion of their team and other teams. But you keep coming back to two main areas of discussion time and time again.

1. UT is over-rated
2. The complusion to point this fact out to a limited number of individuals who post on this board that are UT fans.

I mean, doesn't it get tiring? We, as UT fans (from what I've read in this forum) haven't changed our opinion much at all-so your 'quest' to end all this UT 'homerism' hasn't had any effect on us.

Now, if you don't get tired of banging your head up against a wall time and time again, fine. Feel free to keep doing it, I guess. I just don't see how it gives you any satisfaction or feeling that you've completed your goal of endinig UT 'homerism'.

So again, I'll point you over to Hornsfan.com, that board is full of HUGE UT homers, ones who make the UT fans on this board look very tame by comparison.

Just seems to me like you're constantly in the mood to point out how vastly over-rated UT is and we (all the UT fans on this forum) have heard it over and over again. If you're up for a real debate, trust me, you'll get it at Hornsfan.com

The last thing I'll point out, and I can't believe that I've actually wasted this much time on your worthless ass, is that UT is the ONLY school to notch 10 win seaons for 7 seaons in a row. To me that is an amzaing mark of consistency and performance in college football. Think that might have something to do with why we're ranked high in PRE-season football polls? I am now done and expect a moronic post by jgw in the next 10 minutes, thanks in advance by the way for again being so predictable! :toast

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 03:02 PM
The Longhorns could win three titles in a row, have all their players back for a fourth season, with all those players being all-american and jgw would still say they are overranked.

degenerate_gambler
01-10-2008, 03:15 PM
The last thing I'll point out, and I can't believe that I've actually wasted this much time on your worthless ass, is that UT is the ONLY school to notch 10 win seaons for 7 seaons in a row. To me that is an amzaing mark of consistency and performance in college football.

I get your point about consistency but Bowden did it 14 years in a row with the Seminoles.

Brown & Co. are halfway there..

romad_20
01-10-2008, 03:16 PM
lol, i'll make a bet with you...if you want. i'll even give you the spread.

Bet what? I got no love for Standford, if UGA and USC meet in Miami next year you're on.

leemajors
01-10-2008, 04:18 PM
i am a UT fan, and they were rated too high in way too early polls. i'd rather they play like they weren't entitled to a lofty ranking, personally.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Rankings are crap anyway....there needs to be a playoff.

kingsfan
01-10-2008, 05:34 PM
ESPN has love for my Dawgs :spless: That's got to be a first.
Finally they got something right :clap

Holmes_Fans
01-10-2008, 06:36 PM
I know they're bringing back most of their starters from last year but #12 does seem a stretch.
21/22. They only lose Amendola, a short white receiver easily replaceable.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 10:30 PM
The Longhorns could win three titles in a row, have all their players back for a fourth season, with all those players being all-american and jgw would still say they are overranked.

no...i wouldn't. i call it like i see it, period.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 10:42 PM
He won't tell you SC was overranked the past two years...ranked #1 in preseason but failing to win the MNC.

But obviously they were rated too high or else they would've finished the year ranked where they started.

1. this year SC was #1 preseason and finished #2 & #3...thats not overrated

2. in 2006, SC was #6 & #3 preseason and finished #4...thats not overrated

...oops.

lets see t.u.'s rankings...

1. in 2006 t.u. was #2 & #3 preseason and finished #13...thats overrated

2. in 2007 t.u. was #4 preseason and finished # 10...thats overrated

....oops.

thanks for playing, good thing we didn't bet on this. at some point you worthless 'sips have to see that my "opinion" is backed by a lot of evidence. maybe in time an unbiased perspective and observation will lead you to the truth.

...holiday bowl coach in BCS clothing.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 10:58 PM
no...i wouldn't. i call it like i see it, period.

Yeah...you would call them lucky and overrated. :lol

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
thanks for playing, good thing we didn't bet on this. at some point you worthless 'sips have to see that my "opinion" is backed by a lot of evidence. maybe in time an unbiased perspective and observation will lead you to the truth.
...holiday bowl coach in BCS clothing.

If you can find an unbiased perspective, let us know...because it's not on this board now. :)

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
If you can find an unbiased perspective, let us know...because it's not on this board now. :)

yeah, i threw some editorial in there, but i am referring the SC vs. t.u. overrated debate. its quite clear SC wasn't overrated and t.u. was...i don't see how you can argue otherwise. but spin it anyway you like Mike.

imo, mack is a holiday bowl coach...no shame in that. obviously, t.u. gets a lot more hype and credit than they deserve. thats what a national championship against a better team will do for you.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 11:17 PM
yeah, i threw some editorial in there, but i am referring the SC vs. t.u. overrated debate. its quite clear SC wasn't overrated and t.u. was...i don't see how you can argue otherwise. but spin it anyway you like Mike.

So...if I disagree with you or have a different definition of overrated than you...I am automatically wrong?

You are of the opinion that UT is overrated....nothing wrong with that....I am not of that opinion...nothing wrong with that.

Again....just because you think one way doesn't mean those of a different opinion are wrong or misguided or somehow lesser. For some reason you feel you have the right to make me change my mind. You don't and you can't.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 11:18 PM
My original point still stands....ratings before October, IMO, are stupid.

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 11:19 PM
So...if I disagree with you or have a different definition of overrated than you...I am automatically wrong?

You are of the opinion that UT is overrated....nothing wrong with that....I am not of that opinion...nothing wrong with that.

Again....just because you think one way doesn't mean those of a different opinion are wrong or misguided or somehow lesser. For some reason you feel you have the right to make me change my mind. You don't and you can't.

lol, you're acting like a little kid who refuses to see the truth. i can't help that...t.u. was overrated, plain and simple. good day to you 'sip.

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
lol, you're acting like a little kid who refuses to see the truth

Am not! :lol

Sorry bro, it's still not happening....i'm not changing my opinion and I wouldn't try to change yours. You think Texas is overrated...fine. I don't...fine. Doesn't matter what two people on a message board think anyway.

Basically we are going in circles here so no need to go on.

Good day to you. :toast

P.S.
A t-sip is someone who attends or attended the University of Texas. I did neither. :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tea-sip

tlongII
01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Where are the Beavs??? If they win at Penn State they are going all the way BABY!

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 11:31 PM
See? No Beaver love!

Another reason why rankings are dumb! :)

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 11:45 PM
A t-sip is someone who attends or attended the University of Texas. I did neither. :)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tea-sip

in "your" opinion...or are you telling me there are principles and truth in this unruly world?

... :lol

samikeyp
01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
in "your" opinion...or are you telling me there are principles and truth in this unruly world?

... :lol

:lol

There are....unfortunately they usually don't exist on message boards! :lol

johngateswhiteley
01-10-2008, 11:55 PM
:lol

There are....unfortunately they usually don't exist on message boards! :lol

if you read between the lines...you'll see it in my posts. i can't help what people
t.u. was overrated the last 2 years and will be this year
think, besides too many blind 'sips on this board.

MajorMike
01-11-2008, 11:45 AM
lol, you're acting like a little kid who refuses to see the truth.

Wow, are you sure that wasn't a self evaluation?

ReggieF
01-11-2008, 12:33 PM
A team that finshed tied for 10th in the final polls doesn;t lose to a 5-6 KSt team at home, struggle only to pull away late from a terrible Nebraska team, eek out a win at Okie St, and lose to A&M whne there was an outside shot at winningt he South, Texas was overrated this past season as was the case alst year as well. They lose thier starting RB, Sweed,Nate Jones, and Finley not to mention 1 or 2 fromt eh secondary, Okam and a couple of LB's. Right now they are ranked so highly based on name and media hype machine alone. There is no way to post "facts" about rankings but based on what should be common football sense they should not be ranked so highly. I actually agree with Tech being so high up, they return everyone on offense and probably have an easy schedule in the preseason.

samikeyp
01-11-2008, 01:22 PM
I think the thing that is being forgotten is that this is not the AP or Coaches Poll...this is one ESPN reporter's personal top 25. I highly doubt that when the AP or Coaches poll comes out in August that Texas is in the top 10.

It doesn't matter really though......IMO I still don't think rankings before October 1 mean anything. Pre-season rankings, to me, are a joke because no one has done anything.

ReggieF
01-11-2008, 01:54 PM
agreed, they should not rank until October but the networks would never allow that.

samikeyp
01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
another problem with College Football.

NoMoneyDown
01-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Agreed. Putting out rankings much later would remove a lot of the bias that exists with some teams merely because traditionally they have been (bery) good. It can cheat more deserving teams out of end-of-season rankings because they have a longer ladder to climb than say those who may be the same level but ranked a lot higher early on. If it weren't for the tradition (i.e., "branding") bias in CFB when it comes to rankings, we probably wouldn't have seen LSU in the championship this year.

johngateswhiteley
01-11-2008, 09:08 PM
A team that finshed tied for 10th in the final polls doesn;t lose to a 5-6 KSt team at home, struggle only to pull away late from a terrible Nebraska team, eek out a win at Okie St, and lose to A&M whne there was an outside shot at winningt he South, Texas was overrated this past season as was the case alst year as well. They lose thier starting RB, Sweed,Nate Jones, and Finley not to mention 1 or 2 fromt eh secondary, Okam and a couple of LB's. Right now they are ranked so highly based on name and media hype machine alone. There is no way to post "facts" about rankings but based on what should be common football sense they should not be ranked so highly. I actually agree with Tech being so high up, they return everyone on offense and probably have an easy schedule in the preseason.

it is common football sense. :tu

LaMarcus Bryant
01-11-2008, 09:47 PM
ROFL

oklahoma getting bloaded up the goat ass year after year to shitty shitty bowl teams, and they're consistently ranked high too

in fact
oklahoma is the most overrated team of all time in the 21'st century

it goes

1) ou
2) ohio state
and texas is about 4 or 5th most overrated
usc is up there too, but they're normally only like 1-2 spots overrated

samikeyp
01-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Agreed. Putting out rankings much later would remove a lot of the bias that exists with some teams merely because traditionally they have been (bery) good. It can cheat more deserving teams out of end-of-season rankings because they have a longer ladder to climb than say those who may be the same level but ranked a lot higher early on. If it weren't for the tradition (i.e., "branding") bias in CFB when it comes to rankings, we probably wouldn't have seen LSU in the championship this year.

Maybe it would also lead to less scheduling of cupcakes. I want to see more intersectional matchups like UT and Ohio State had and Ohio State-SC will have coming up.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-11-2008, 11:09 PM
tOSU and SC will be a good matchup in theory

but inevitably, the loser of said matchup will actually receive a boost in the polls, rewarded for their loss, when it comes down to the final week, so long as they lose no games in the final 4 weeks.

SrA Husker
01-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Can someone remind me what BCS/New Years Day bowl participants Kansas, Missouri, Hawaii and Illinois were all ranked during last season's preseason poll?