PDA

View Full Version : Spurs spike Clippers - L.A. Daily News

Solid D
01-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Interesting insight from Dunleavy and on what Pop's dismissal did for the Spurs.

http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~25424~2629517,00.html

L.A. can't find an answer for Duncan, Parker

By Joe Stevens
Staff Writer

The Clippers' performance did not induce popping champagne corks or the sailing of streamers. But even if their play had been like a New Year's Rocking Eve, they still wouldn't have had an answer for Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and the juggernaut San Antonio Spurs.
Duncan and Parker combined for 44 points and dismantled the Clippers 98-79 in front of 17,115 Friday at Staples Center.

Although Duncan's 23 points and eight rebounds may not look too special, he was pivotal when the Spurs pulled away at the beginning of the fourth quarter. On one basket before the Spurs went up 85-68 with 7:18 left, Duncan snagged a rebound, drove the length of the court amid Clippers and scored on a layup.

After that, the Clippers never had a legitimate chance, and San Antonio led by as many as 20 points. The Clippers wasted an exceptional night from Rick Brunson, who scored 17 points with eight assists and six rebounds.

Duncan also helped limit Elton Brand to 14 points and eight rebounds. Corey Maggette scored 17 points with 10 rebounds for the Clippers. who have the same 13-15 record that they had at this point last season.

Regardless of how the statistics appear, the Spurs outplayed the Clippers in pretty much every aspect of the game. The Clippers could claim a 41-39 rebounding edge.

The Spurs were spectacularly sound, limiting themselves to seven turnovers in the game and shooting 58.4 percent in the final three quarters.

San Antonio (25-6) has won five in a row and nine of 10. The Spurs showed again why they are one of the favorites to win the NBA championship.

"I'm sure Pop (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich) feels he's got weaknesses somewhere," Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy said. "I can't see it."

Dunleavy then listed Spurs strengths: speed, 3-point shooting, defense and ball pressure, among others. The Clippers' coach was a TV analyst for the Spurs in the 2002-03 season, and he says they've gotten better since.

"I know them very well," he said. "But it doesn't help me any."

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich could have started his New Year's Eve celebration a little early when he was ejected with 58.4 seconds left in the first quarter. Popovich practically appeared to want to get ejected.

On an out-of-bounds call that went to the Spurs, Popovich ran on the sideline to center court and confronted official Eddie Rush, who whistled him for two consecutive technical fouls, earning the coach an automatic ejection.

The ejection came in the midst of a 7-0 Clippers run that put them on top 22-12 with 31.5 seconds left in the first quarter. The 10-point lead was short-lived as San Antonio outscored the Clippers 25-17 in the second quarter to tie the score 39-39 at halftime.

With Popovich gone, the Spurs played inspired. Their roster is one of the deepest in the NBA, and, coaching-wise, they also are deep _ former Seton Hall coach P.J. Carlesimo took over with Popovich gone.

---
Joe Stevens, (562) 499-1338 [email protected]

boutons
01-01-2005, 06:30 PM
"former Seton Hall" ... and Golden State Warriors head... "coach P.J. Carlesimo"

Come on, "journalist", give PJ his due!!

whottt
01-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Our weaknesses are 3 point defense, FT shooting, and the way Pop uses the bench sometimes.

As long as we are shooting over 70% I am not worried about our FT shooting...

Pop has obviously been reading the forum and is now taking my advice on how to use the rotation, so I think he is improved in that area.

But...

I am worried about our 3 point D which is just about the worst in the NBA...

What's amazing is how awesome our overall opp FG% is giving up such a high PCT of 3 PT shots.

But all of the weaknesses on our team are far outweighed by the best offense we have had in a long time...

Spurs currently rank #3 in FG% and assists per game and we are also among the league leaders in PPS and TO's...

Excelling in those areas is pretty unusual for the Spurs in the Duncan Pop era...Especially TO's and assists.

I do want our 3 PT D improved...especially since the hated Lakers are shooting a lot of threes these days...it's their time to be our bitch and I don't want to miss this chance to bitch slap them around.

T Park
01-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Pop has obviously been reading the forum

Im sure.

pjjrfan
01-01-2005, 08:54 PM
6 losses in 30 games doesn't leave a lot to complain about. True that at least 4 of those losses can be blamed on the opposing teams outside shooting, but overall, the Spurs take everyting else away especially points in the paint. I think TMac just got hot, the Spurs got lazy against the Raptors, and The Sonics, Grizz and Magic outplayed the Spurs in those losses, and those things happen. Although, the 2 losses to the Sonics are a concern, don't want them thinking they are unbeateable when it come to playing the Spurs. And this team is just getting better in my opinion. My only worry is that certain guys will fold when the playoffs come around.

boutons
01-01-2005, 09:51 PM
"True that at least 4 of those losses can be blamed on the opposing teams outside shooting"

no.

@TOR, SA collapses all of 4th qtr
1st SEA loss, SA D allows 41 ptr in 4th qtr
2nd SEA loss, SA disappears all of 2nd qtr

HOU was a miracle

MEM and ORL was SA giveaways

T Park
01-01-2005, 10:25 PM
My only worry is that certain guys will fold when the playoffs come around.

who would they be???

IMO, you cant worry about it.

You go with what youve got.

But, if you look at the comp in the west, and the east, is there a team that bothers you, that you think, damn, I dont know if they can beat em.

RobinsontoDuncan
01-01-2005, 11:33 PM
hey whottt, what does pps mean?

also i remember when three point def. was our specialty becuase we let our wing guys gamle out there since we knew tim and david would always be solid in the middle, i dont think we can do that as much with rasho and malik, and pop is still tinkering with a way to adjust...just my two cents