PDA

View Full Version : what's our excuse to this loss?

debo
01-10-2008, 10:36 PM
what went wrong?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-10-2008, 10:37 PM
It's official. Brent Barry is our MVP.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
we got beat by the better team?

I don't know, but it sure is frustrating even if it's still only January

Spurs Brazil
01-10-2008, 10:39 PM
Another bad 1st quarter

m33p0
01-10-2008, 10:41 PM
not playing the whole game. its not an excuse. its an abomination.

timmy21_4rings
01-10-2008, 10:44 PM
famous regular season excuse...this year west is crazy..if we have one or two bad weeks, we have to chase 8 or 9 other teams....if we still use regular season as excuse, there might not even be playoffs....

Leetonidas
01-10-2008, 10:44 PM
The Spurs look completely disoriented the last few games. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with them but they haven't looked good in quite some time. Maybe it's the injuries, who knows. All I know is that Tony played like dogshit, Manu was not too much better, and the rest of the team outside of Mr. Duncan didn't really do anything.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-10-2008, 10:45 PM
there might not even be playoffs....
:lmao

bigfundamental21
01-10-2008, 10:46 PM
not playing the whole game. its not an excuse. its an abomination.
Yep. It takes 48 minutes! Oh and it also takes more than just Tim Duncan showing up and playing. There are no excuses. We just sucked tonight. But, I definitely think it is just our usual Dec-Feb funk.

SpursDynasty
01-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Nothing drastic happened. We are the worst team in the league at taking shots within 2-3 feet of the basket. Just missing those little tic tac shots....other than that I'm not worried. We're tied with LA and Dallas in the loss column now, after going 6-8 in our last 14, a testament to how mediocre the Lakers and Mavs really are this year.

remingtonbo2001
01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
if we still use regular season as excuse, there might not even be playoffs....

Have you been hangin' out with Sequ lately?

timmy21_4rings
01-10-2008, 10:47 PM
currently we are 5th seeded

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Currently it is the regular season.

debo
01-10-2008, 10:48 PM
We are the worst team in the league at taking shots within 2-3 feet of the basket.

Tim Manu and Tony always make layups harder than they have to be

SpursDynasty
01-10-2008, 10:49 PM

That's kind of insignificant when we're tied the #2 and #3 spots in the loss column, and have a better record than the #4 seed which is a division-leader.

MONTENEGRINO
01-10-2008, 10:50 PM
After this one, I'm not sure who is REAL MVP: Tony or Manu...:D

SenorSpur
01-10-2008, 10:51 PM
It was the 2nd game of a B2B, so they were tired. Oh wait, that was the Pistons who played the B2B. The Spurs just looked like were on a B2B.

lurker
01-10-2008, 10:51 PM
The Spurs were just saving their energy for Minnesota. Why waste it on a fluke team like Detroit?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-10-2008, 10:52 PM
The Spurs were just saving their energy for Minnesota. Why waste it on a fluke team like Detroit?
:tu

HighLowLobForBig-50
01-10-2008, 10:53 PM
As a team, we are relaxed right now. we just take it from the all-star break on , and regulate. Period.

debo
01-10-2008, 10:53 PM

:toast

Budkin
01-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Nothing drastic happened. We are the worst team in the league at taking shots within 2-3 feet of the basket. Just missing those little tic tac shots....other than that I'm not worried. We're tied with LA and Dallas in the loss column now, after going 6-8 in our last 14, a testament to how mediocre the Lakers and Mavs really are this year.

I'm with SD on this one... not worried. We'll get our shit together soon.

timmy21_4rings
01-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Currently it is the regular season.

Still you have to make playoffs..does 0-82 (W-L) guarantee you playoffs?

SenorSpur
01-10-2008, 11:02 PM
One of these days the Spurs are going to try and flip that switch" and they're going to find that the bulb is blown out.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Still you have to make playoffs..does 0-82 (W-L) guarantee you playoffs?
A 5th seed does.

bdictjames
01-10-2008, 11:05 PM
One of these days the Spurs are going to try and flip that switch" and they're going to find that the bulb is blown out.
Exactly what Im thinking. I couldn't find the words to describe it.

If this rodeo road trip goes wrong, Im not sure if our chances winning that trophy looks okay, as Dallas and Detroit are getting back to the top.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-10-2008, 11:07 PM
It's one of the few regular season losses you see, where they just plain sucked and got outplayed.

Defense was atrocious.
They should AT LEAST love playing the game a little more. Only Duncan (and Ginobili to an extent for some stretches) played like they really wanted to BEAT the team. I haven't seen them play that way where they wanted to kill the opposing team, since early December.

Oh yeah, and their are a lot of patchy performances from our bench on the defensive end.

baseline bum
01-10-2008, 11:08 PM
What the hell happened to Robert Horry? The second he checks in, Detroit goes on a monster run. His +/- had to be off the charts bad in his 6 or 7 minutes in the game in the tonight.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM

If this rodeo road trip goes wrong, Im not sure if our chances winning that trophy looks okay, as Dallas and Detroit are getting back to the top.
If they're that weak mentally, they don't deserve a championship, but yeah, they just need to go on a win streak of any sorts! Please!

SenorSpur
01-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Spurs had to know that Detroit would be very, very, motivated for this game - since they were on a 2 game losing streak. However you wouldn't have been able to tell.

debo
01-10-2008, 11:12 PM
What the hell happened to Robert Horry?

its quite obvious. its not the playoffs.

T Park
01-10-2008, 11:14 PM
You people act like you've never watched the Spurs in january before.

Are you fuckin kidding me?

Kori Ellis
01-10-2008, 11:14 PM
what's our excuse to this loss?

They sucked.

JamStone
01-10-2008, 11:18 PM
It really was the Spurs defense in the first quarter that was the difference in the game. Even with Manu and Tony shooting poorly, the Spurs would have been right in the game had they not allowed so many easy lay-ups in the first quarter. Part of it was also turnovers when the Spurs were trying to force the action looking for fouls. After the first quarter, the Spurs outplayed the Pistons for much of the rest of the game.

timmy21_4rings
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
They sucked.

They sucked it hard

T Park
01-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, the Spurs had one bad quarter, and that dictated the game.

Honestly this loss doesn't bother me at all.

The third quarter showed how good this team can be on even a difficult night.

But what the hell, I guess Im just optimistic and whatever like that.

timmy21_4rings
01-10-2008, 11:21 PM
After the first quarter, the Spurs outplayed the Pistons for much of the rest of the game.

Unfortunately, 1st qtr is part of EVERY game.

m33p0
01-10-2008, 11:39 PM
they didn't score the point they were supposed to score. not surprising they lost.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2008, 11:48 PM

Nah, we said that last year and went 4-4 but won the rings. The real test comes in the 5-10 games after all-star break. Come out firing, we're in with a shot. If not, here comes 2004 and 2006 all over again, a heart-breaking 2nd round loss to someone like Dallas, Golden State or (finally) Phoenix.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-10-2008, 11:50 PM
What the hell happened to Robert Horry? The second he checks in, Detroit goes on a monster run. His +/- had to be off the charts bad in his 6 or 7 minutes in the game in the tonight.

Having watched Rob closely since he came back, I think he might be done. He looks a step slow for the league and his bball IQ isn't compensating for it.

Time to get Oberto back into the SL, settle on a 4-man bench, and get some consistency into the setup.

GOBLUEADAM
01-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Hello to all you great Spurs fans! Let me say from watching this game, I was very disapointed with the Spurs effort. As a Piston fan, I saw the samething last night when Dallas beat us, we didn't come to play. But tonight, in the first half, you ran into that Piston team that won 11 games in a row, and left nothing but DNA. But in the second half, your defense choked us off, and had us struggling! But if the Spurs had not have run into the THEIF known as Lindsey Hunter, you might have pulled this one out'!

But from what I see from the Motorcity, is that the Spurs look old and slow. There seems to be no chemistry anymore. I thought Duncan brought it hard and correct, but the rest of the team was still riding on the bus. It's a long season, and you've got a lot of guys breathing down your backs, but we still think you are the best in the west! Infact, we still think we're gonna see you guys in that finals place, that we all want to see! But this time, we're gonna try and keep the garbage from Cleveland out! See you the next game here at the Palace, have a great season, and BEAT BOSTON and Cleveland FOR US! We'll try and help you out on your end too! GO SPURS!

mFFL03
01-11-2008, 12:21 AM
it's official now....Pops was drinking budweiser during the game

T Park
01-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Having watched Rob closely since he came back, I think he might be done

Just like last year.

OOps, who made that game winning shot that won the series vs Denver?!!??

freemeat
01-11-2008, 12:44 AM

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2634771/2/istockphoto_2634771_hitting_a_nail_on_the_head.jpg

freemeat
01-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Living in the past!

:lol :lol :lol

You REALLY CAN'T be serious posting something like that when your sig is....well, what it is.

freemeat
01-11-2008, 12:56 AM
They sucked.

Exactly.

I felt like they were impersonating the damn Bobcats....oh wait.

DazedAndConfused
01-11-2008, 01:19 AM
You REALLY CAN'T be serious posting something like that when your sig is....well, what it is.

Haha, owned. But seriously I think Horry is done. He can still hit 3's but he's a damn liability for everything else.

SenorSpur
01-11-2008, 01:21 AM
Turn back the clock to 2005 - bring back Nazr Mohammed!

SpursDynasty
01-11-2008, 01:26 AM
In most of our losses this season, it's either been

1. TD, TP, or Manu was out - Six of our 11 losses have come when one of these guys is out.
2. We just missed shots and the other team made their's - no skill required from the other team for that to happen.

DDS4
01-11-2008, 01:28 AM
Is it All Star Break yet? Note to self: No more Spur games before March.

freemeat
01-11-2008, 01:28 AM
In most of our losses this season, it's either been

1. TD, TP, or Manu was out - Six of our 11 losses have come when one of these guys is out.
2a. We just missed shots and the other team made their's - no skill required from the other team for that to happen.
2b. We just missed shots we shouldn't have been taking and our defense sucked, which allowed the other team to effectively run their offense.

fixed.

SenorSpur
01-11-2008, 02:06 AM
If I hadn't already subscribed to LP, I'd cancel it. I'm officially going on strike for the next game. No way I want to watch this team play Minnesota.

THE SIXTH MAN
01-11-2008, 02:07 AM
If I hadn't already subscribed to LP, I'd cancel it. I'm officially going on strike for the next game. No way I want to watch this team play Minnesota.
:lol Dude you're so gay. Calm down.

freemeat
01-11-2008, 02:09 AM

HA HA!!!

SenorSpur
01-11-2008, 03:39 AM

It's only a 1 game strike :lol

dg7md
01-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Nobody sees that the Pistons played with a grudge on their shoulder due to the Mavs game the night before? You should all know the Spurs don't kick it in high gear during the regular season, and the Pistons weren't going to get owned by Texas twice in a row. We got smashed early, but closed the gap to within a more respectable 10, but it was too late for the final comeback. "We didn't lose the game; we just ran out of time." by Lombardi fits this situation well.

It's January, we'll lose at least 13 more times, we're fine.

Soul_Patch
01-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Although i dont condone the loss at all...but its hard to say a team as resilient and good as the pistons are going to drop three in a row.

we just got them on one of their bounce back nights, that and we have been flat for the past month.

LEONARD
01-11-2008, 09:54 AM
The Spurs and Pistons both tried to shoot some shots they were supposed to shoots and also shot some shots they shouldn't have shooted, but most of the shots the Spurs wanted to shoot didn't go where they were supposed to go (unlucky bounces) and most of the shots they shouldn't have shooted did go where they were supposed to go, but most of the shots the Pistons wanted to shoot did go where they were supposed to go and most of the shots they shouldn't have shooted didn't go where they were supposed to go (lucky bounces). In the end, what killed the Spurs was having less points on the scoreboard than the Pistons because that's what determines the winner in most, but not all, basketball games... Just my $.02...

2. We just missed shots and the other team made their's - no skill required from the other team for that to happen.

You take stupidity to new heights every day Jeff...

So there is no skill in shooting a b-ball??

703 Spurz
01-11-2008, 09:56 AM

And if Phoenix loses their next game and we win, we're in 1st.

What's the big deal?

703 Spurz
01-11-2008, 09:57 AM
It was the 2nd game of a B2B, so they were tired. Oh wait, that was the Pistons who played the B2B. The Spurs just looked like were on a B2B.

It was also Detroit's 4th game in 5 days. You know, our excuse for losing to Golden State.

Whoops

nkdlunch
01-11-2008, 09:58 AM
we lost the game in the 1st quarter. 18 straight points from Pistons. Pop didn't call a timeout. thats why we lost. pop is getting senile

703 Spurz
01-11-2008, 09:59 AM

Owned :blah

ManuTastic
01-11-2008, 10:30 AM
No excuses, but here are the reasons for the L:
-Sleepwalking on defense and getting OWNED
-Too much 1-on-1 shit
-Manu's hand is hurt so he can't shoot for shit
Also, nice of Tony to show up for the game after halftime. I'm sure he had more important things to do for the first 24 minutes.

ancestron
01-11-2008, 10:32 AM
If Tony Parker hadn't had his head shoved completely up his anal cavity, they would've had a little better shot at winning the ball game I think.

TP in la-la land = Spurs loss.

JamStone
01-11-2008, 10:36 AM
It was also Detroit's 4th game in 5 days.

No it wasn't.

bdictjames
01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Nah, we said that last year and went 4-4 but won the rings. The real test comes in the 5-10 games after all-star break. Come out firing, we're in with a shot. If not, here comes 2004 and 2006 all over again, a heart-breaking 2nd round loss to someone like Dallas, Golden State or (finally) Phoenix.
I know but didn't we win the last 2 games of it? That was the start of the greatest 13-game stretch in sports history right? We were able to build momentum.

And I cannot believe you put Golden State in there. How low have we fallen. :lol

BigBigSpur
01-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Spur's January Phenomenon.
Nothing wrong.

beirmeistr
01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Unfortunately. the Spurs came up with another bad game on national TV. Poor Barkley must have taken a ton of ribbing from his colleagues for being a Spurs supporter.

DubMcDub
01-11-2008, 12:45 PM

I'm glad someone actually realizes this. Who knows if it will be this year or 3-4 years from now, but it's pretty funny how every year the Spurs community just assumes that everything will be ok come March-ish just because that's what has happened in prior years.

wildbill2u
01-11-2008, 12:46 PM
what went wrong?
Simple. The Pistons out-defensed us completely in the first half.

The Spurs were constantly turning the ball over with forced and unforced errors or throwing up prayer shots as the shooting clock expired. Our shooting percentages suffered because of the excellent Piston defense.

I can't remember when the Spurs looked so clueless on offense. It was embarasssing to see Tony and Manu forcing shots or turning the ball over time after time.