PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is the Spurs problem?

Supergirl
01-11-2008, 08:59 AM
What do you think the Spurs need to do differently?

Jimcs50
01-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Brent Barry's absence.

Since he got injured, the team has blown. Coincidence? I think not.

Supergirl
01-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Note: It's supposed to read Pop's coaching, not Pop's coach. ADHD Girl strikes again.

SouthernFried
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Exercise...they in bad shape

ancestron
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Brent Barry's abscence is a big reason they kinda suck right now. I've always said he is a very underrated playmaker, he gets the ball moving when it seems to be stopping, and we all know he is deadly from downtown.
Manu has an alien on his shooting hand right now.
Tony Parker needs to remove his head from his rectum. Perhaps he is having some problems at home. He has only been married since June afterall. Maybe the honeymoon is over, as they say.
Tim is Tim, and while he may have some struggles right now he is the one we should worry the least about imo.
I think everyone else will find their rhythm and their stroke once those key pieces are back and performing up to speed.
I have half a mind to say we fans should be glad that we're sucking right now because history shows this usually signifies a bounce-back and strong post-season run.

Cry Havoc
01-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Not only is Barry a solid bench player, he's an extra body to throw into the mix, and he's an extra backup point guard. He's our best 3 threat and he stretches the D a lot.

Combine that with Manu and Parker both playing relatively hobbled, and I think we'll see the real Spurs emerge later this season. Pop is cautious with our players to make sure they stay healthy.

SAGambler
01-11-2008, 11:11 AM
LOL. This is funny. Considering the numerous "Trade Barry" threads that I have seen here, and NOW he is the reason the team is playing bad and all will be well when he is.

You people do realize if "you trade him" he won't be coming back off IR, don't you?

lebomb
01-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Meh........the Spurs will turn it up in March.

LEONARD
01-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Make the ball go THROUGH the hoop thingy...

That's what SpursDynasty said at least...

duncan228
01-11-2008, 11:54 AM
Make the ball go THROUGH the hoop thingy...

That's what SpursDynasty said at least...

:lol

We have a phrase around my house to describe how to play basketball.

"Run around and put the ball in the hoop."

It's as simple as that. SpursDynasty may be right. :lol

Behrooz24
01-11-2008, 12:09 PM
They're just Horry'n it

Supergirl
01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Interesting that no one's chosen option 1. I think it's probably the last one - I've seen the SPurs look terrible midseason and then go on to win the championship a few times before, but if it's just that, then my next guess would be it's related to Manu still being hobbled.

Our offense just doesn't run as well without him. Duncan and Bowen are the defensive anchor of our teams, but Duncan and Manu are the catalysts for our offense, even when Parker is running the plays. Manu's ability to break down defenses and run the offense with the second unit is possibly the most critical thing we need to be a championship caliber team.

nkdlunch
01-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Parker for Kidd

bdictjames
01-11-2008, 01:31 PM
What about option#7: everything?

telecomguy
01-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Parker for Kidd

in a heartbeat....we are talking about a superstar (ok he is a bit old but not done yet!) who almost can average tripe double!!!

and yet there are huge number of posters here who would scream if Spurs traded TP for Kidd. Yes TP is younger but with Kidd we may get another 3 titles, and then maybe we can get TP back from NJ if he has learned how to quaterback a team, pass, and hit his jumpers (even if Kidd himself is not great at that but then he is not a First-Option, Shoot First PG so it doesn't matter). With Kidd and TD, our 3 pt shooters will have a heyday as they will get open looks after open looks with the good ball movement that Kidd can create (like Nash)

ancestron
01-11-2008, 01:55 PM
LOL. This is funny. Considering the numerous "Trade Barry" threads that I have seen here, and NOW he is the reason the team is playing bad and all will be well when he is.

You people do realize if "you trade him" he won't be coming back off IR, don't you?

Just for the record, I've never been one of those to say trade Barry.

urunobili
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Spurs problem.... they're bored that is still January... and they LOVE to have something to fix.. that's their swagger.. year after year...

SpursDynasty
01-11-2008, 02:02 PM
The Spurs have not had enough games back with our big three together (started 15-3 fully healthy). After that 12-game stretch of no big three together (6-6), we've only had 3 games since...a win, an overtime loss, and then last night.

NO BIG DEAL.

Spurs will take 9 out of the next 10.

George Gervin's Afro
01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
First and last problem. This will be the last time I get the NBA League Pass ( I don't live in SA at the moment) before Feb 1st. It's games like this one that suck and aren't worth my time. We always seem to play like this during the year every season. I don't care so much that we lost but what bother's me the most is that we don't seem to be putting alot of effort into it ( see Tony Parker). For whatever reason now it appears this team is less likely to struggle when Tim does rather they seem to be a bad basketball team when TP doesn't show up. I don't care that he missess shots rather it's the shots that he takes. When great players struggle with their shots they begin to defer to other teammates but it seems like (and maybe it's Pop) TP will continually try and 'get it going'. During this 'time' we fall down in the game by 20. Oh and our defense SUCKED... I don't fault manu as much because he isn't the guy with the ball in his hands and it SEEMS that he does other things well when his shot isn't falling....

ok now I feel better...

Barbarian
01-11-2008, 03:20 PM
in a heartbeat....we are talking about a superstar (ok he is a bit old but not done yet!) who almost can average tripe double!!!

and yet there are huge number of posters here who would scream if Spurs traded TP for Kidd. Yes TP is younger but with Kidd we may get another 3 titles, and then maybe we can get TP back from NJ if he has learned how to quaterback a team, pass, and hit his jumpers (even if Kidd himself is not great at that but then he is not a First-Option, Shoot First PG so it doesn't matter). With Kidd and TD, our 3 pt shooters will have a heyday as they will get open looks after open looks with the good ball movement that Kidd can create (like Nash)

you again...

That is a fantastic theory. Trade an up and coming super star for an aging superstar. :drunk

Kori Ellis
01-11-2008, 03:30 PM
The reason the Spurs suck right now is lack of D and lack of cohesion.

The Spurs Big 3 has played very few games together healthy this season. Tony struggled with his ankle for several games when Tim wasn't ready to come back. Then Manu struggle several games with his hand when Tony wasn't back yet, etc. So even when they were on the court, they weren't their "regular" selves.

Right now, Tim is slow to rotate and Manu's D has been really horrible compared to his usual level. He's gambling far to often when he doesn't have to do so. It's probably because he isn't trusting his other teammates yet defensively ... the same goes for the offense.

Early in the season last year Tony/Manu admitted that they were both pushing too hard and trying to do things themselves too much because they didn't trust the other players yet (not referencing each other). And that might be the case right now too.

Also, rotating the center constantly isn't helping either. Horry isn't cutting it right now and Fab has been out of rhythm since he was moved to the bench. If Elson is going to be in the rotation late in the year, get him in the rotation now. If he's not, keep him out. You can't DNP-CD him for several games in a row, then try to get him back in the rotation again.

Use Bowen wisely. If the other team doesn't have a perimeter player you need to lock down, rest him more. He's not an offensive giant and the Spurs will need him fresh late in the year - so don't overwork him now.

Get Barry healthy. Barry does a lot for the flow of the game and energy from the bench unit.

That's it. It sounds like a lot, but it isn't. They need tweaks and time together while healthy.

Bruno
01-11-2008, 04:07 PM
I don't think you can put Spurs struggles on one player. It's more than the team isn't playing well together. With some time and adjustments, Spurs will raise their level and gain some consistency.
Saying that, people, who hates a player, will put the blame on him as always when Spurs struggle.

MONTENEGRINO
01-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Nothing is wrong, they'll peak after the All Star Game like the always do
I believe this is it. Pop is the best coach, so I assume he programed run and form for the playoffs, so after the ASG.

hsxvvd
01-11-2008, 07:30 PM
No PJ?

PoleSmoking
01-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Age & injury. Doesn't mean the Spurs are done yet, though. Just means they need to work through injury and reserve their energy until it counts.

PoleSmoking
01-11-2008, 07:48 PM
My goodness HSXDVV ... is that a gun to the head? And a smile while doing so?

Obstructed_View
01-11-2008, 07:55 PM
The Spurs have to play Oberto and Elson, or they aren't making it out of the west. Period. If Elson's healthy again it's time to get him back into the rotation. Duncan cannot patrol the lane by himself, especially without Bowen on the perimeter.

Phenomanul
01-11-2008, 08:04 PM
I went back to see that 6 minute segment, where Detroit made their run (as painful as it was) with the following observations.

Manu went hard to the bucket twice during that period. I thought there should have been a foul called on the second occasion. Instead he ended up with two turnovers. And he missed an open trey that he would normally have made. Truth be told, "Detroit's Run" wasn't made on the second unit at all.

At the 5:59 mark Spurs were up 13 to 10... Coming out of a timeout. Detroit had scored the previous bucket.

5:52 Duncan zips a pass to a wide open Horry under the basket and it goes through his hands.

5:26 Parker passes the ball to Bruce Bowen's sweet spot; Bowen misses the mildly contested corner trey.

5:10 Tayshaun Prince scores a bucket after posting up Manu; gets a friendly bounce from the rim.

5:10 Parker misses 20ft jumper off of a Duncan screen.

4:38 Prince scores a long jumper over Duncan (would've been a 3 had his toe not been on the line).

4:08 Duncan scores a running hook (Spurs last bucket of 1st Quarter)

3:37 Ginobilli makes a nice drive but then misses a layup he would have normally made.

3:32 Rip Hamilton scores a layup on the fastbreak (goes around the back after Parker gambles for the steal).

3:16 Parker turnover trying to split two defenders

3:10 Another fastbreak bucket by Detroit. Horry had the misfortune of standing in the wrong place gearing for a block when he thought Rip would take the ball to the hoop instead of passing it back to the stragler on the play.

2:54 Duncan turnover (bounces it too high and far from his body, Billups runs in and steals it).

2:45 Wallace scores a long 3 pointer early in the shot clock...

2:21 Ginobilli misses a wide open trey.

1:57 McDyess makes 2nd jumper attempt after Detroit comes up with offensive rebound

1:36 Ginobili turnover.

1:26 McDyess layup after Rasheed's missed layup.

1:01 Duncan throws up wild scoop shot, misses

0:45 Hamilton shoots jumper in the lane off of a hand-off screen by McDyess

0:37 Parker drive to the lane, misses shot trying to go for the quick 2-for-1 opportunity.

0:18 Tayshaun posts up Finley, spins around him and scores the layup.

0:01 Horry misses 3 pointer at the buzzer.

ClingingMars
01-11-2008, 08:34 PM
it's the regular season, boys.

-Mars