PDA

View Full Version : is anyone else not worried at all?

nkdlunch
01-11-2008, 09:53 AM
I am not worried at all for the following reasons:
-I think spurs showed some good things in last 2 games
- Duncan is a beast, without him we would have got blown out of the water both games.
- Even when it seemed a blowout was coming the SPurs kept their heads cool and did not panic.
- Spurs miss Barry he would come in and run the point when Tony woudl struggle and usually make a couple good plays
- vaughn is a great defensive PG
-Udoka is getting better and better

Last night Pop really fucked up because he let Pistons score 18 points in a row without calling a timeout.
It was obvious Parker and Manu were rushing it and defensively we were shit in 1st quarter. thats why we lost the game.

the only thing that worries me is Elson and Horry. Actually Horry will make himself useful in the playoffs.

hater
01-11-2008, 11:29 AM
spurs are fine. they will come through after allstar break like ususal

Spurminator
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I went back and read some of the threads from January 2007 and that was good therapy.

thispego
01-11-2008, 11:32 AM
Udoka should be playing alot more, he came in last night and busted two tres and then didnt see the court again. we needed o last night, the d was fine, Ime brings both but whatever.

hater
01-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Vaughn was awesome. he came in and stirred shit up. and even made a 3

spurs1990
01-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Anyone who is worried, ask themselves this one question..

Can any team in the NBA beat the Spurs 4 times in a span of 7 games, with plenty of rest in between each game. I think the answer will bring comfort to all.

Spurs are the only team in the league that plays for May and June, nothing more. We've got too many dinosaurs on the roster to worry about silly losses like last night.

duncan228
01-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Not worried at all.

This team has experience, that helps them not panic. It will also help them work through this slump. I'm sure that this board is more concerned about their state right now than they are. They've been through this. They'll be fine.

I have complete faith they will come together during the RRT and SPAM.
Coming into the Playoffs they'll be playing their best.

Oh...And Duncan is a beast. He's incredible. As long as he's on track there's no doubt that the Spurs will be fine.

The_Game
01-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Can any team in the NBA beat the Spurs 4 times in a span of 7 games, with plenty of rest in between each game. I think the answer will bring comfort to all.

Spurs are the only team in the league that plays for May and June, nothing more. We've got too many dinosaurs on the roster to worry about silly losses like last night.

laker fans had that way of thinking so did piston fans...that theory sooner or later will be wrong. fact is the spurs are old and aren't improving. added no new pieces and it has showed.

duncan228
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
...added no new pieces and it has showed.

The years they added new pieces they didn't repeat.

I think it was a move made on purpose. Bring back the team that performed so well through the Playoffs and Finals last year. The experience will allow them to do it again easier. They know each other, they know the system.

Yes, they're old. But age brings wisdom. Put that with experience and it will take you far.

hater
01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
added no new pieces and it has showed.

it's January, nothing has showed yet.

Spurs are still best team in the league when they play their best.

BigBigSpur
01-11-2008, 12:01 PM
I don't worry at all. I haven't forgotten last January. Just again.
And last year we lost all two game to Cleveland in regular season. But in the finals, the result was 4-0,we won.

lefty
01-11-2008, 12:19 PM
I'm not worried at all.

Those who are worried, or the quitters are not real Spurs fans, because thay don't know their team very well.

m33p0
01-11-2008, 01:43 PM
About the price of gasoline? Yeah, sure.

nfg3
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Not at all. Typical January stretch for them. Starting to fly under the radar while they get it together come ASB/RR trip.

Spurs1990 and Duncan228 both have great points! The Spurs will get better and be playing their best come April/May heading into the playoffs.

Age isn't as great a factor in the post season as the regular one when you have those days off of rest up. There aren't any b2b in the playoffs.

But the FO must address the age issue - The Game's point - and I think they are with Splitter coming next year and the way they are managing payroll in order to position themselves in the FA market in years to come and the Toros in Austin.

4 LB trophies in 9 years aint a bad track record.

101A
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I am pumped and more sure of an unbelievably dominant playoff run than ever.

deadratsam
01-11-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm not worried, it's just very annoying to watch them lose.

Kori Ellis
01-11-2008, 03:33 PM

Exactly.

ChumpDumper
01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm always worried, I just stopped breaking household objects over it awhile back.

nkdlunch
01-11-2008, 04:17 PM
I would rather have a team that wins championship than get perfect regular season(eg. Dallas Mavs :D)

fyatuk
01-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Why worry?

This is a yearly thing. Spurs have a great start to the season, then play pretty crappy from mid-Dec until right around the RRT. I'll be worried if they are still playing like this during the RRT.

Cry Havoc
01-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I think most of their fans would appreciate them playing with more effort the entire season, instead of just Feb-April.

Maybe a half-empty ATT center in Nov, Dec & January would motivate them.

And maybe a crowd that fails to recognize or appreciate 4 freaking banners hanging from the rafters and the best record in all of professional sports over the past decade would make the players re-consider their loyalties to San Antonio.

Cry Havoc
01-11-2008, 04:38 PM
play like shit for half of every season then, at least I won't be one of the ones wasting money of season tickets.

Please direct me to the single regular season games that matter more than the others. The Spurs have one of the best records in the league. My god, 28 other teams would KILL to have our lineup and every single one of them would do unspeakable things to have Duncan in the post, and our fanbase still bitches like they "owe" us something 6 months after winning a championship. Unbelievable.

You go out there and play hurt, play bruised, practice injured and still manage to win a huge majority of the games you play in with no bench to speak of and all three of the best players on the team not being 100%. So come on. Show us how it's done. You want effort? Buy playoff tix. Because I damn sure don't want to see Parker go flying into the 3rd row of the crowd and shatter his patella to score 2 points in the middle of the regular season.

SpursDynasty
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Not at all. Typical January stretch for them. Starting to fly under the radar while they get it together come ASB/RR trip.

Spurs1990 and Duncan228 both have great points! The Spurs will get better and be playing their best come April/May heading into the playoffs.

Age isn't as great a factor in the post season as the regular one when you have those days off of rest up. There aren't any b2b in the playoffs.

But the FO must address the age issue - The Game's point - and I think they are with Splitter coming next year and the way they are managing payroll in order to position themselves in the FA market in years to come and the Toros in Austin.

4 LB trophies in 9 years aint a bad track record.

Actually, in the 2003 playoffs, the Mavs and Kings had a back-to-back in the playoffs. Saturday May 10 and Sunday May 11, games 3 and 4 of the second round.

That is why Dallas was able to escape with that series.

LEONARD
01-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Actually, in the 2003 playoffs, the Mavs and Kings had a back-to-back in the playoffs. Saturday May 10 and Sunday May 11, games 3 and 4 of the second round.

:lol

Of course...it's always some other reason when the Mavs win...has nothing to do with any level of talent or skill...

nkdlunch

was dirk already a mangina back then?

George Gervin's Afro

Yes. It does get annoying. I am trying to keep in mind this team's history but sometimes when I don't get the impression that they are giving maximum effort I usually stop watching the game.

Cherry
01-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I'm not worried at all.

sprrs
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
I'd be more worried if this didn't happen at exactly this time every year for the past 5 or 6 years.

Cry Havoc
01-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I'd be more worried if this didn't happen at exactly this time every year for the past 5 or 6 years.

As I recall, there were numerous discussions preparing for it. It's just pop's annual routine to get his players to shape up right around the time the playoffs arrive.

sprrs
01-11-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm not arguing with it. It's completely acceptable because I know it means championship quality basketball come March.

vander
01-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm not worried, it's all because Pop has been playing around with the roster to much. once the main guys are healthy again, and once Pop realizes that Horry can no longer basketball at the NBA level, the Spurs will return to their winning ways

TMTTRIO
01-11-2008, 05:53 PM
The only thing that concerns me is how these nagging injuries are going to affect us (Tony's ankle, Manu's finger) in the long run. Other than that I know that they'll eventually get it together.

spurs1990
01-12-2008, 12:22 AM
Another reason not to worry - the 2006 NBA champs are officially the worst team in the thing - 10 straight losses.

PERSPECTIVE

Shaolin-Style
01-12-2008, 04:38 AM
I'm certainly not, I haven't skimmed through this thread but I'd bet theres someone who knows the spurs usually play better after the allstar break. I don't get worried until they're struggling to either get a seed for the playoffs or struggling in them.

mikejones99
01-12-2008, 04:48 AM
remember last year, dallas and phoenix were winning almost 20 games in a row and most thought Spurs would fail to even reach the finals or beat denver. sure were alot of trolls irom PHX and DAl

timvp
01-12-2008, 05:36 AM
I actually enjoy this part of the season. It used to bother me but now seeing this mid-season swoon for like the eighth season in a row, it has just become a necessary part of the adventure. I'd be much more uncomfortable if the Spurs were like 32-2 and just dominating every team they play.

I know this formula of the team struggling and then revving up for the playoffs works. We've seen it four times now. I'm not sure if Pop knows how to coach a juggernaut or if the Spurs have a frontrunner's mentality. They all seem happier to go the underdog route.

And for those of you who are annoyed by this bad basketball, buckle up because I don't think we've seen the worst yet. The Spurs still need that horrible performance where Pop then gets to use the soft card. Once Pop pulls the soft card, that's when it's time to rev the engines.

Last year the horrible performance was against the Miami Heat. The Spurs were just slapped around by the Heat and were blown out in Miami. After the game, Pop pulled the soft card:

"We're still not playing physically enough. We're playing soft for too many minutes in the game."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=270211014

The Spurs went on to win their next 13 games and 25 of their next 28 games.

That Heat game was on February 11th last year, so it looks like we have another month of ugly. Until then, I'll watch these games where Pop halfway tries to lose and fans meltdown like they haven't seen the same movie dozens of times.

The only thing I worry about at this point of the season is injuries. A regular season loss in January? :sleep

Stay healthy and wait for Pop to say the word "soft". Then that's when I care whether or not the Spurs win or lose regular season games.

spurms
01-12-2008, 05:50 AM
i am not worried because the mavs are known chockers, they may be better then us as a team and has way more talent then us, but they crack down in pressure cooker situations, same can be said about the suns, all run and gun and no defense, the teams that are the most threat to us is from the east. Boston is a mystery, but if the regular season is any indication of how they would play in the playoffs, they are shoo in to win the title, and they are just begining to click, the pistons as well is another spurs killer. Their starting 5 owns our starting 5, and our bench players have to step up big time to have a chance against them. The good thing is they are an aging team like us, so we would be on even ground in terms of fitness. This is probably our final year to win something as teams around us are getting younger and better, and portland will dominate next season, but teams like the mavs and pheonix are not my concern, we can step over them anytime, also the spurs are what they are in terms of their standings, but because we have the playoff experience we can trottle all the other weakminded teams like the mavs in the west.

ShoogarBear
01-12-2008, 09:22 AM
One of these years, however, the losing in January is going to actually mean something.

Anyone who says they know which year that's going to be is lying.

JPB
01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
I think it has to do with the preaseason physical preparation. You can't be at your best physically all season long.

Spurs are programmed to be in the best possible shape after the ASB, no matter if it costs some games in between.

It's a bit like the rookie wall. Spurs are hitting it every year in January.

lonestr
01-12-2008, 02:15 PM

Right on brother!! Hit the nail right on the head with that statement. Come playoff time and the Spurs are healthy, bad things for our opponents. Bad things

Supreme_Being
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Nothing to worry about.

ClingingMars
01-12-2008, 03:59 PM
it's the regular season, boys

I will keep saying this until March, or when you people wake up, whichever one comes first.

-Mars

lefty
01-12-2008, 04:15 PM
I'm not worried, it's all because Pop has been playing around with the roster to much. once the main guys are healthy again, and once Pop realizes that Horry can no longer basketball at the NBA level, the Spurs will return to their winning ways

You do remember that Horry was huge for us against Denver during the last playoffs, right ???

Apprently, you are not familiar with him; he'll show up in April and make some big shots for us

T Park
01-12-2008, 04:42 PM
once Pop realizes that Horry can no longer basketball at the NBA level

:lol

Just like you idiots said last year he was done, and there he was, a stud in the playoffs as always.

Morons :rolleyes

One of these years, however, the losing in January is going to actually mean something.

Anyone who says they know which year that's going to be is lying.

The year after Duncan retires and the twin towers consist of Mahinmi and Splitter.

ClingingMars
01-12-2008, 04:50 PM
yeah, we should sign Horry to a playoffs-only contract

-Mars

SenorSpur
01-12-2008, 04:50 PM
I actually enjoy this part of the season. It used to bother me but now seeing this mid-season swoon for like the eighth season in a row, it has just become a necessary part of the adventure. I'd be much more uncomfortable if the Spurs were like 32-2 and just dominating every team they play.

I know this formula of the team struggling and then revving up for the playoffs works. We've seen it four times now. I'm not sure if Pop knows how to coach a juggernaut or if the Spurs have a frontrunner's mentality. They all seem happier to go the underdog route.

And for those of you who are annoyed by this bad basketball, buckle up because I don't think we've seen the worst yet. The Spurs still need that horrible performance where Pop then gets to use the soft card. Once Pop pulls the soft card, that's when it's time to rev the engines.

Last year the horrible performance was against the Miami Heat. The Spurs were just slapped around by the Heat and were blown out in Miami. After the game, Pop pulled the soft card:

The Spurs went on to win their next 13 games and 25 of their next 28 games.

That Heat game was on February 11th last year, so it looks like we have another month of ugly. Until then, I'll watch these games where Pop halfway tries to lose and fans meltdown like they haven't seen the same movie dozens of times.

The only thing I worry about at this point of the season is injuries. A regular season loss in January? :sleep

Stay healthy and wait for Pop to say the word "soft". Then that's when I care whether or not the Spurs win or lose regular season games.

Mark my words.
One of these days the Spurs are going to "flip that switch" and find there is nothing in the tank. Pacing yourself, monitoring minutes and ensuring player health is one thing - good things eve. However playing with no heart, passion and effort is quite the other.