PDA

View Full Version : Texas Rangers could add pitcher Jennings

ATRAIN
01-11-2008, 12:28 PM
hahahahha I don't wish this on any team. Sorry Rangers.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/011108dnsporangsider.2a866b0.html

The Texas Rangers appear to be closing in on a deal to add veteran right-hander Jason Jennings, a Dallas native, to their starting rotation.

Jennings, who turns 30 in July, visited Rangers officials in Arlington earlier this week as talks grew serious. On Thursday, a source said the sides were close to a deal. The last hurdle may be a physical. Jennings is coming back from a torn elbow tendon that kept him from pitching after August 20 last year.
Rangers/MLB

General manager Jon Daniels acknowledged the club is still looking at pitching depth but declined to comment on Jennings.

Bringing Jennings into the mix could add depth on one level but create more competition on another. Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla are assured spots in the rotation. Brandon McCarthy and Kason Gabbard were expected to pitch in the Nos. 3 and 4 spots, with the fifth spot open.

If Jennings is healthy, it could force McCarthy and Gabbard to compete with rookies Luis Mendoza, Armando Galarraga and A.J. Murray for two spots in the back of the rotation.

Jennings had an awful time last year due to the elbow problems. Tendinitis forced him to the disabled list after two starts. He returned after missing six weeks but was shut down for the season after tearing the elbow tendon in August. He finished the season 2-9 with a 6.45 ERA.

Jennings won 16 games for Colorado in 2002, his first full season in the majors, but he has not had a winning season since then. He was 9-13 with a 3.78 ERA in a career-high 212 innings in 2006.

ATRAIN
01-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Since the Siverboot means a lot to some of the Rangers fans on here. Can we go ahead and give it over to us if you make this deal with Jennings?

Melmart1
01-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Since the Siverboot means a lot to some of the Rangers fans on here. Can we go ahead and give it over to us if you make this deal with Jennings?
Begging for the trophy before the games are even played, and you are trying to say its important to Rangers fans? :lmao

Seriously, if it means that much to you, take it.

ATRAIN
01-11-2008, 02:14 PM
Begging for the trophy before the games are even played, and you are trying to say its important to Rangers fans? :lmao

Seriously, if it means that much to you, take it.

LOL it doesnt but if it means I won't be getting crap for it then yeah I want it hahaaha. Plus I wasn't begging, I want to earn it.

BUMP
01-14-2008, 12:51 PM
is he really that bad?

monosylab1k
01-14-2008, 01:33 PM
whatever ASStrolls fan! The Silver Boot is in Arlington where it belongs! And it won't be headed south any time soon!

leemajors
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
supposedly jennings was hurt all year. previously, when healthy he could eat up innings. i'd hope the rangers docs are better than the astros if this is the case.

T Park
01-14-2008, 02:00 PM
Yeah if Jennings is healthy, he can pitch well.

If healthy this would be a fantastic signing.

ATRAIN
01-14-2008, 02:29 PM
whatever ASStrolls fan! The Silver Boot is in Arlington where it belongs! And it won't be headed south any time soon!

We will see about that.

sribb43
01-15-2008, 03:52 PM
hahahahha I don't wish this on any team. Sorry Rangers.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/011108dnsporangsider.2a866b0.html

The Texas Rangers appear to be closing in on a deal to add veteran right-hander Jason Jennings, a Dallas native, to their starting rotation.

Jennings, who turns 30 in July, visited Rangers officials in Arlington earlier this week as talks grew serious. On Thursday, a source said the sides were close to a deal. The last hurdle may be a physical. Jennings is coming back from a torn elbow tendon that kept him from pitching after August 20 last year.
Rangers/MLB

General manager Jon Daniels acknowledged the club is still looking at pitching depth but declined to comment on Jennings.

Bringing Jennings into the mix could add depth on one level but create more competition on another. Kevin Millwood and Vicente Padilla are assured spots in the rotation. Brandon McCarthy and Kason Gabbard were expected to pitch in the Nos. 3 and 4 spots, with the fifth spot open.

If Jennings is healthy, it could force McCarthy and Gabbard to compete with rookies Luis Mendoza, Armando Galarraga and A.J. Murray for two spots in the back of the rotation.
Jennings had an awful time last year due to the elbow problems. Tendinitis forced him to the disabled list after two starts. He returned after missing six weeks but was shut down for the season after tearing the elbow tendon in August. He finished the season 2-9 with a 6.45 ERA.

Jennings won 16 games for Colorado in 2002, his first full season in the majors, but he has not had a winning season since then. He was 9-13 with a 3.78 ERA in a career-high 212 innings in 2006.

WTF does Gabbard have to compete for a spot in the pitching rotation...Rangers are F'en stupid if they dont think this guy is a lock in the rotation. Daniels probably thinks Kam Loe is better than Gabbard

dallaskd
01-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Gabbard should be the #1 starter with Millwood, McCarthy, Jennings?, and make Padilla/Loe/Newbies compete for the last spot. You can always can Padilla's ass in the bullpin.

T Park
01-17-2008, 01:35 PM
according to Fox Sports, Jennings is inked up.
1 year 4 mill.

Melmart1
01-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't mind this at all. It's only 1-yr and not for huge money. Fairly low-risk for someone who (if healthy) could chew up a lot of innings, something the rotation has failed to do. Hell, if healthy he has the potential to be the best starter on the team.

The rotation as I see it:

Millwood
Padilla
McCarthy
Jennings
Gabbard

That really isn't bad -- if healthy. Big IF but this is the best rotation the Rangers have had in years if injuries can be kept to a minimum.

Evan
01-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks Tom Hicks....we're so pleased to have you....

ATRAIN
01-21-2008, 08:47 AM

Millwood
Padilla
McCarthy
Jennings
Gabbard

That really isn't bad -- if healthy. Big IF but this is the best rotation the Rangers have had in years if injuries can be kept to a minimum.

LOL wow thats the best rotation the Rangers have had in years, thats pretty sad.

TheTruth
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
I don't mind this at all. It's only 1-yr and not for huge money. Fairly low-risk for someone who (if healthy) could chew up a lot of innings, something the rotation has failed to do. Hell, if healthy he has the potential to be the best starter on the team.

Millwood
Padilla
McCarthy
Jennings
Gabbard

WOW! That is a really bad rotation. Millwood had a "decent' second half last season, but even that wasn't league average.

The Jennings signing is a pretty nice one though. 1 year deals on pitchers with his track record (when healthy) are never a bad thing. Huge plus if he can put up 180 - 200 innings for you guys next season.

BUMP
01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
i wont get too excited. knowing the Ragners luck, he'll probably pull something in a Spring Training start be out for about 5 months, come back and pitch terribly, and then we get rid of him.

FirebatMIV
01-31-2008, 01:06 PM
WOW! That is a really bad rotation. Millwood had a "decent' second half last season, but even that wasn't league average.

The Jennings signing is a pretty nice one though. 1 year deals on pitchers with his track record (when healthy) are never a bad thing. Huge plus if he can put up 180 - 200 innings for you guys next season.

League average is 4.5 ERA. Millwood was more than league average when he got off of his fat ass.

sribb43
01-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Rangers offense and suspect pitching will once again lead to an under .500 season and Hicks will probably extend Jon Daniels another 5 yrs