PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Everyone singing praises of Spurs, except Spurs

Kori Ellis
01-02-2005, 01:14 AM
Everyone singing praises of Spurs, except Spurs
Web Posted: 01/02/2005 12:00 AM CST

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA010205.1C.BKNspurs.kings.adv.66bcc118.html

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — Mike Dunleavy hasn't forgotten the Memorial Day Miracle or the rest of the 1999 Western Conference finals. The Spurs, buoyed by Sean Elliott's tippy-toed 3-pointer at the end of Game 2, swept the Portland Trail Blazers in four games.

Dunleavy says the Spurs of that season, as well as those he faced in his three other years as Portland's coach, might not measure up to the current version.

"I thought all those other teams had somewhat of a weak link, something to potentially give you a chance," said Dunleavy, whose Los Angeles Clippers lost to the Spurs on Friday. "This team, I don't see the weaknesses. I don't know what bases they don't have covered."

The Spurs have looked dominant of late, winning five consecutive games by an average of 21 points. Their 25-6 record is the best, at this stage of the season, in franchise history.

Despite Dunleavy's claim, however, the Spurs still see a few flaws in themselves. Their free-throw shooting ranks among the worst in the league. Their halfcourt execution could improve. They also aren't the best perimeter shooting team.

The Spurs have covered up those blemishes with their top-ranked defense, their depth, some good fortune (of the 12 players on their active roster at the start of the season, only Manu Ginobili has missed a game because of injury) and a versatile offense that excels in the open floor and halfcourt.

"There are nights," guard Brent Barry said, "where we can run with some of the better teams in the league."

The Spurs showed that Tuesday in their victory over Phoenix. And they'll likely have to so some more running tonight against Sacramento.

While the Kings routinely have been one of the highest-scoring teams, the Spurs' offense has gradually evolved as their talent and athleticism improved. This season, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich has urged point guard Tony Parker, who is more accustomed to bringing the ball upcourt himself, to throw it ahead as quickly as possible.

"He understands that throwing it ahead in fast-break situations and transition situations really puts a lot of pressure on the defense," Popovich said. "He's learned to trust his teammates around him to get things done."

As a result, the Spurs have done a better job of generating easier scoring opportunities.

"When they run and when they're moving, they're tough to beat," Boston coach Doc Rivers said. "Actually, when they're running they're impossible to beat. Now with Tim (Duncan) moving, it's almost as if they're running even when they are playing in halfcourt."

Duncan still gets his post-up opportunities, but the Spurs now employ more motion in the halfcourt, making it more difficult for defenses to key on him. That has been especially important with teams allowed to play zone-type defenses.

The Spurs' coaching staff, Popovich said, made halfcourt execution a priority this summer when it started preparing for the season. The team has shown improvement in that area of late. In the past two games, the Spurs have totaled 58 assists to 15 turnovers.

"When you go against Shaq (Shaquille O'Neal), you know they are going to just run him down to the block and turn and that's it," said Philadelphia center Marc Jackson, who has faced the Spurs twice this season. "When you go against KG (Kevin Garnett), you know he is going to get a lot of his stuff from the outside.

"San Antonio runs so many things to get (Duncan) the ball in certain spots at any given time — it is just great the way they do it."

Mr. Body
01-02-2005, 04:31 AM
A potentional problem is that, when the going gets tough in a tight game, the Spurs have a tendency to get conservative and go 4-down to Duncan, leaving defenses to collapse on him and do the whole "see who can knock down a three," which didn't work out so well for us last year in the playoffs. So far this year, we've been blowing teams away in predominantly the third quarter, some the fourth, so these late-game situations don't arise. I'd like to see us get some practice in that area as the season goes on, as much as I love the blowouts.

Rick Von Braun
01-02-2005, 04:57 AM
A potentional problem is that, when the going gets tough in a tight game, the Spurs have a tendency to get conservative and go 4-down to Duncan, leaving defenses to collapse on him and do the whole "see who can knock down a three," which didn't work out so well for us last year in the playoffs. So far this year, we've been blowing teams away in predominantly the third quarter, some the fourth, so these late-game situations don't arise. I'd like to see us get some practice in that area as the season goes on, as much as I love the blowouts.Well... I've been preaching that song for almost 3 years. The point is not whether we use 4-down in close games or not. I actually don't mind it at all, and in several close games it has been quite effective. The problem is when it doesn't work (Tim having a bad night, defenses collapsing on him, bad exterior shooting, whatever), the Spurs offense never adapts. I think this year we have the personnel to at least try something else and mix things up a little bit in the clutch... for example, run 4-down 3-4 times... if it works, continue using the play over and over, if it doesn't, stop and try something else.

Rummpd
01-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Where's all the publicity - I haven't seen it nationally yet at least?

In end it is not going to matter = Spurs too good.

Brown and the revived Barry and/or Beno on floor can cure a lot of stale offense at times. Duncan playing team ball and Parker has been awesome.

Spurs with a lot better mid range shooters than previously.

No worries.

MadDoc