PDA

View Full Version : What was the reasoning behind waiving DerMarr Johnson?

Please_dont_ban_me
01-11-2008, 11:47 PM
I always liked the kids game.

Plus, isn't he someone the Spurs had there eyes on for a while?

Tippecanoe
01-11-2008, 11:55 PM
http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/vcs/dennert/archives/money.jpg

Please_dont_ban_me
01-11-2008, 11:57 PM
So it was just a money thing?

That sucks. We couldn't shell out enough cash to keep him to the end of the season at least?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Something about us having to waive him by 1/10 or we pay the luxury tax. Not really good with the financial knowledge of the Spurs but that's all I know. But there was also something like we can start resigning people starting 1/24, so expect him to be a Spur again around that time.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Something about us having to waive him by 1/10 or we pay the luxury tax. Not really good with the financial knowledge of the Spurs but that's all I know. But there was also something like we can start resigning people starting 1/24, so expect him to be a Spur again around that time.

Dude your sig is huge.

As for his situation...that only makes sense if they're bringing him back in after the 24th. If they aren't, why the f' did they bring him in knowing in advance they wouldn't be able to pay him after the 10th?

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-12-2008, 12:22 AM
As for his situation...that only makes sense if they're bringing him back in after the 24th. If they aren't, why the f' did they bring him in knowing in advance they wouldn't be able to pay him after the 10th?
I guess to see if he is worth bringing back for the rest of the season.

ss1986v2
01-12-2008, 12:26 AM
the spurs needed warm bodies for practice. and a scrub at the end of the bench for those "worst case scenario" times during the game. with manu back, those needs went away. so demarr and langford did too.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 12:37 AM
But is DerMarr really a 'scrub'?

He's one of those guys that can play big minutes for you and give you Stephen Jackson'esque production at times. IMO.

Budkin
01-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Honestly I'd rather just have everyone healthy.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2008, 01:07 AM
But is DerMarr really a 'scrub'?

He's one of those guys that can play big minutes for you and give you Stephen Jackson'esque production at times. IMO.Well, no one else has picked him up. He needs to work on his D and rebounding. Really good shooting though.

remingtonbo2001
01-12-2008, 01:10 AM
Yes.

I hope the Spurs consider resigning him!

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Well, no one else has picked him up. He needs to work on his D and rebounding. Really good shooting though.

I think he's one of those guys that can play defense when he wants to.

I don't remember who it was, but I want to say Allen Iverson...who Dermarr played great defense on when he was torturing everyone else on the floor. It was a small quick guard, maybe not AI. (Obviously not while they were teammates).

Also, there's a place on every team for a guy who can just come and spark something with some quick buckets. It's what SJax was known for (but he was a nice defender too) and it's what guys like Glenn Robinson had made a career off of.

There's gotta be a spot at the end of our bench for DerMarr. The kids nice.

Not Manu nice, or anything. But nice enough to be on the roster and get situational minutes.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2008, 01:31 AM
I think he's one of those guys that can play defense when he wants to.I've seen him play ten games this season. He should want to more often.

TDMVPDPOY
01-12-2008, 02:28 AM
i dont get the luxury tax

spurs usually go deep into the playoffs, which can offset that tax paid...

cheapskates

if we dont repeat, we all know who to blame

ChumpDumper
01-12-2008, 02:29 AM
IR players = championships

Joe Schmoogins
01-12-2008, 03:10 AM
I don't completely understand how the cap and tax and all that works, but is it possible that all of these signings and cuts have been a midseason informal tryout for that 14th guy to see who they want after Jan 24? That's how I look at the whole situation. If so, it's actually pretty slick on the FO's part.

timmy21_4rings
01-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Money can not be the reason in this case...if money is a reason, why should they invite these guys? If Spurs FO is simply taking the advantage of rules and there by involve in the process of hiring and firing, they are simply cheating these guys and not following the rules in the sprit.. If FO's aim is just to try, they can always have them for 10day contract and cut them after it or sign them or extend their contract for another 10 days. No higher expectations for both the sides as well as for fans..I remember one of the latest guys that spurs signed said that it is the best x-mas he could have asked for and only to see him cut within days..FO is simply failing to set the right expectations.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Money can not be the reason in this case...if money is a reason, why should they invite these guys? If Spurs FO is simply taking the advantage of rules and there by involve in the process of hiring and firing, they are simply cheating these guys and not following the rules in the sprit.. If FO's aim is just to try, they can always have them for 10day contract and cut them after it or sign them or extend their contract for another 10 days. No higher expectations for both the sides as well as for fans..I remember one of the latest guys that spurs signed said that it is the best x-mas he could have asked for and only to see him cut within days..FO is simply failing to set the right expectations.
They are giving everybody small contracts to see who is worth bringing back when they can afford to sign a player for the rest of the season.

timmy21_4rings
01-12-2008, 10:04 AM
They are giving everybody small contracts to see who is worth bringing back when they can afford to sign a player for the rest of the season.

If they have done it, it is not a problem. The problem is only Jeremy Richardson is signed for 10 day contract.

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-12-2008, 10:15 AM
If they have done it, it is not a problem. The problem is only Jeremy Richardson is signed for 10 day contract.
...to see if he is worth bringing back for the rest of the season.