PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Carter

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 04:52 AM
He'd look real nice in a Spurs jersey right now. :) Damn his 'career ending' injury. And the Spurs releasing / whatevering him.

Random note: He's my neighbor. :D Dude's nice as hell. Has his family settled here and he comes back in the offseason.

polandprzem
01-12-2008, 05:10 AM
Trade Pop !

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 05:21 AM
Trade Pop !

Ok.

ChumpDumper
01-12-2008, 05:58 AM
= championships

alamo50
01-12-2008, 06:59 AM
He is playing pretty damn awesome in Atkins' absence.

whottt
01-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Yeah...he's playing the best basketball of his career now. It started at the end of last season....

He still sucked when he was a Spur though....injury or not.

He also sucked as a TWolf after leaving SA...so it's not like the Spurs gave up on the same guy you see now....he's just better now.

T Park
01-12-2008, 01:42 PM
He was good in Miami too.

I said all along they gave up on Carter way too quick.

BradLohaus
01-12-2008, 02:00 PM
It looks like somebody taught him how to shoot.

SequSpur
01-12-2008, 02:06 PM
If it ain't Duncan, Parker or Ginobili, Pop will surely ruin there career.

Bowen is the worst starting forward in the NBA.

Supreme_Being
01-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Since when?

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Carter was a force when he played for Hawaii. I was kind of shocked that his scoring ability didn't convert into the NBA. But I guess he still has some o' skillz.

whottt
01-12-2008, 02:28 PM
He was good in Miami too.

I said all along they gave up on Carter way too quick.

Um...he was physically incapable of playing when he was a Spur.

And he wasn't as good at Miami as he is playing now either....he was about as good of an offensive player as Bruce Bowen when he was with Miami.

Buddy Holly
01-12-2008, 04:06 PM
I'll always remember him making the game winning basket against the Suns in the 03-04 season opener.

T Park
01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Um...he was physically incapable of playing when he was a Spur

so you give up on him and and never give him a second chance?

BS.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Since when?

Since he needed attention. Leave him be.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 04:59 PM

BS.

Agreed.

But wasn't the injury really serious at the time? A 'career ending' type deal? Plus I don't see how anybody can analyze his career as a Spur when he only played like 4 games. The guy was good before coming here, and is good now.

He's that backup PG you need to play solid D on the bigger point guards. And he can score a little too now, apparently. =o

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Yeah...he's playing the best basketball of his career now. It started at the end of last season....

He still sucked when he was a Spur though....injury or not.

He also sucked as a TWolf after leaving SA...so it's not like the Spurs gave up on the same guy you see now....he's just better now.

How did he suck as a Spur? He played like 5 games.

Not sure about Minny. Maybe he did. Maybe he did b/c the injury hadn't healed yet.

whottt
01-12-2008, 05:18 PM

BS.

LOL are you questioning Pop?

You realize that was 5 years ago and he's sucked up until the playoffs last season. Exactly how long do you want to wait?

whottt
01-12-2008, 05:20 PM
How did he suck as a Spur? He played like 5 games.

He had no shot and he couldn't even play D, the reason he was signed...he couldn't move.

Not sure about Minny. Maybe he did. Maybe he did b/c the injury hadn't healed yet.

Well...injuries matter.

SequSpur
01-12-2008, 06:03 PM
anthony carter sucks.

jag
01-12-2008, 06:30 PM
he'd look great with the toros...that's about as far as i'll take this whole thing

Please_dont_ban_me
01-12-2008, 11:13 PM
he'd look great with the toros...that's about as far as i'll take this whole thing

He's as good as Jaque Vaughn if not better.

That's as far as I'll take this whole thing.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-12-2008, 11:14 PM
:tu to everything whottt has said. Stop crying over spilt milk.

If it ain't Duncan, Parker or Ginobili, Pop will surely ruin there career.

Are you smoking that crack again? :rolleyes

Please_dont_ban_me
01-21-2008, 11:23 PM
He had no shot and he couldn't even play D, the reason he was signed...he couldn't move.

Well...injuries matter.

You made that assessment in all of...5 games?

Please_dont_ban_me
01-21-2008, 11:34 PM
Kobe pulled a bruce on Melo, lol.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 12:01 AM
You made that assessment in all of...5 games?It's pretty easy to tell a guy can't move after five games.

I think we probably missed out more by letting Rakocevic go that season.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 12:11 AM
It's pretty easy to tell a guy can't move after five games.

I think we probably missed out more by letting Rakocevic go that season.

Is Rakocevic in the league playing big minutes right now?

I'm just saying, Anthony Carter > Vaughn. The guy's being put on Kobe for big stretches of the games. You're telling me we couldn't use him at backup PG?

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Is Rakocevic in the league playing big minutes right now?He's in Euroleague doing fine and he's younger.

I'm just saying, Anthony Carter > Vaughn. The guy's being put on Kobe for big stretches of the games. You're telling me we couldn't use him at backup PG?I'm saying who cares? Carter couldn't move when he was a Spur. He had to be waived so we could sign a player who could move.

Wouldashouldacoulda threads are a pretty big waste of time unless you are proposing some realistic way of getting a guy back.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 12:19 AM
He's in Euroleague doing fine and he's younger.

I'm saying who cares? Carter couldn't move when he was a Spur. He had to be waived so we could sign a player who could move.

Wouldashouldacoulda threads are a pretty big waste of time unless you are proposing some realistic way of getting a guy back.

Would it be better if I worded it 'lets trade for Carter'?

I'm saying he's a better option than what we have right now. And he's not exactly untouchable tradewise, if the Spurs really wanted to go after him. I don't think that's 'unrealistic'.

whottt
01-22-2008, 12:23 AM
You made that assessment in all of...5 games?

No...I made it after 2.

The Spurs, and Anthony Carter, made it after 5...that would be the time when he was delcared physically incapable of playing and agreed to a buyout,...and then didn't play again for the rest of the season....for anyone.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
So what is your proposed realistic trade for their 30mpg starting point guard?

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 12:26 AM
No...I made it after 2.

The Spurs, and Anthony Carter, made it after 5...that would be the time when he was delcared physically incapable of playing and agreed to a buyout,...and then didn't play again for the rest of the season....for anyone.

You misunderstood me.

Or I misunderstood you.

My point is, you're right. He was physically unable to play then. He was injured. That's cool. But he was good before that, and he's good now. He's a solid role player and would look good in a Spurs jersey.

I feel like I've started a Mavs > Spurs thread, shit. Hah. Just a suggestion guys, chill.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 12:29 AM
So what is your proposed realistic trade for their 30mpg starting point guard?

Isn't he only starting because Chucky Atkins is out?

I'm not a GM, but I imagine if the Spurs wanted to get it done they could. Throw them a bone back at PG (Vaugh?) and one other player to fill a position of need for them. Just a brainstorm, haven't thought out trade scenarios.

He was a Free Agent this summer too. I think he would've loved to play for SA if we showed any interest. But he likes his situation in Denver too...but at the same time, home is home. And his home is here.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Isn't he only starting because Chucky Atkins is out? No. Atkins didn't start any of his nine games. Carter has started 24 out of 27.

I'm not a GM, but I imagine if the Spurs wanted to get it done they could. Throw them a bone back at PG (Vaugh?) and one other player to fill a position of need for them. Just a brainstorm, haven't thought out trade scenarios.I'll wait then.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 12:33 AM
No.

I'll wait then.

Really?

That's what the commentators were just saying during there game. That Chucky Atkins was there projected starter. That AC is only playing big minutes and starting because Atkins got hurt.

whottt
You misunderstood me.

Or I misunderstood you.

My point is, you're right. He was physically unable to play then. He was injured. That's cool. But he was good before that, and he's good now.

He's never been anywhere close to as good as he is now before in his career...

And up until this season...I'd say Vaughn had the better J.

He's a solid role player and would look good in Spurs jersey.

I feel like I've started a Mavs > Spurs thread, shit. Hah. Just a suggestion guys, chill.

There are a lot of former Spurs I wouldn't mind having now, based on their play this season...

Please_dont_ban_me
I'll wait then.

Keep waiting, bro.

I'm not a GM, and unlike some people on here, I don't pretend to be.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 12:35 AM
He's never been anywhere close to as good as he is now before in his career...

And up until this season...I'd say Vaughn had the better J.

You'd seriously take Vaughn over Anthony Carter?

As for his career stats, maybe he's having a career year. But those assists and what not are a product of the Denver system. That's not what impresses me. What I like is how tough he is and the way he plays defense. He doesn't back away from anybody and loves getting up into peoples grills.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Keep waiting, bro.

I'm not a GM, and unlike some people on here, I don't pretend to be.Then it's easy to dismiss your idle prattle about realistically acquiring Anthony Carter.

Done and done.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Then it's easy to dismiss your idle prattle about realistically acquiring Anthony Carter.

Done and done.

You talk like I just proposed a trade for Kobe Bryant.

We're talking about a role player that makes $770,00 a year. You're telling me the Spurs couldn't bring him in if they wanted to? Tell me they don't want to. Or tell me he doesn't fit the system.

ANYTHING.

But don't make it seem like he's untouchable.

ss1986v2
01-22-2008, 01:04 AM

We're talking about a role player that makes $770,00 a year. You're telling me the Spurs couldn't bring him in if they wanted to? Tell me they don't want to. Or tell me he doesn't fit the system.

ANYTHING.

But don't make it seem like he's untouchable.
not without paying greater than his worth. what are we going to give up for a pg averaging 8 ppg, 6apg with only 1.89 TOs, 1.5 spg, on 48.7% shooting?

vaughn? they laugh at you and hang up.

vaughn plus a pick? might not be worth it, and they still laugh and hang up.

vaughn plus a pick and another rotation player? denver would have to include another player to match salary. and because they are obviously losing the carter-vaughn swap, the other player they get is going to have to be better than the additional player they include. so lets say we do vaughn, udoka, and a pick for carter and wafer. but wait, vaughn has the right to decline any trades (being a one year bird player). but lets go ahead and say he oks the trade; nuggets still laugh and hang up.

wanna try using elson as the filler? gotta match salary; who on the nuggets is worth around 3 mil or so and worse than elson? atkins (currently on a 3ry/9.5 mil deal, so its debatable)? nuggets laugh and hang up (why would they trade both of their pgs?). and why for the spurs at that point?

so to get this to work out, the spurs are probably going to have to throw high value assets at the nuggets (think ian or splitter, by lack of any other assets) for this to work out. or a much larger trade involving multiple other pieces (barry, finley, bonner, ect). still want to try and swing carter?

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 01:11 AM

ANYTHING.

But don't make it seem like he's untouchable.Then it shouldn't be difficult to show me a realistic trade.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 01:14 AM
not without paying greater than his worth. what are we going to give up for a pg averaging 8 ppg, 6apg with only 1.89 TOs, 1.5 spg, on 48.7% shooting?

vaughn? they laugh at you and hang up.

vaughn plus a pick? might not be worth it, and they still laugh and hang up.

vaughn plus a pick and another rotation player? denver would have to include another player to match salary. and because they are obviously losing the carter-vaughn swap, the other player they get is going to have to be better than the additional player they include. so lets say we do vaughn, udoka, and a pick for carter and wafer. but wait, vaughn has the right to decline any trades (being a one year bird player). but lets go ahead and say he oks the trade; nuggets still laugh and hang up.

wanna try using elson as the filler? gotta match salary; who on the nuggets is worth around 3 mil or so and worse than elson? atkins (currently on a 3ry/9.5 mil deal, so its debatable)? nuggets laugh and hang up (why would they trade both of their pgs?). and why for the spurs at that point?

so to get this to work out, the spurs are probably going to have to throw high value assets at the nuggets (think ian or splitter, by lack of any other assets) for this to work out. or a much larger trade involving multiple other pieces (barry, finley, bonner, ect). still want to try and swing carter?

Makes sense. Maybe it's a challenge.

What about a late round draft pick for him? Once Chucky Atkins comes back (I'm assuming he will be coming back soon) then Carter becomes expendable. Maybe they'd deal him for a future pick and cash consideration or something.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 01:17 AM
Then it shouldn't be difficult to show me a realistic trade.

Elson, Vaughn, Bonner, Udoka, Mahinmi, and Darius Washington are all guys that make less than 3 million a year and could be dangled as trade bait. Not to mention draft picks.

(I realize Darius isn't with the Spurs anymore...but he's listed on this site, for some reason)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/nba/nbasalaries.html

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 01:20 AM
Elson, Vaughn, Bonner, Udoka, Mahinmi, and Darius Washington are all guys that make less than 3 million a year and could be dangled as trade bait. Not to mention draft picks.

(I realize Darius isn't with the Spurs anymore...but he's listed on this site, for some reason)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/nba/nbasalaries.html
Get back with us when you learn how to match salaries, then we'll make fun of you for trying to trade waived players playing in Greece or leaving Denver without a starting point guard. If you have seen Atkins at all this season, you'll know how silly that idea is.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 01:25 AM
Get back with us when you learn how to match salaries, then we'll make fun of you for trying to trade waived players playing in Greece or leaving Denver without a starting point guard. If you have seen Atkins at all this season, you'll know how silly that idea is.

Make fun of me all you want.

It's not me that has the silly notion that Atkins is a starter. It's the Denver front office. That's why he's making 3 mill and Carter is making 700,000. And that Darius comment was a low blow. I even pointed out to you that I know he's not with the Spurs and I don't know why his contract was still listed...but whatever.

Lastly, I almost forgot how condescending some of you guys on here are.

You need to lighten up and get the stick out of your ass sometimes. If you disagree with someone that's one thing, but trying to talk down them and make them feel inferior is fucked up.

I'm sorry, I don't follow the Spurs as closely as you do. I'm guessing you get PAID to. If I did, I would too. So you and Timvp do your thing, I'll keep doing mine. Being a casual Spurs fan.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 01:27 AM
As for matching salaries, what is it...it has to be within 15%?

You could include an additional throw in player from teh Denver side to make it close enough.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 01:28 AM
And this is ridiculous...

I had no intention of getting into a hardcore GM discussion. I was just appreciating his play. The guy's playing good, and he's the kind of guy I'd love to have on my team (the Spurs).

ss1986v2
01-22-2008, 01:31 AM
Makes sense. Maybe it's a challenge.

What about a late round draft pick for him? Once Chucky Atkins comes back (I'm assuming he will be coming back soon) then Carter becomes expendable. Maybe they'd deal him for a future pick and cash consideration or something.
thats assuming atkins > carter, which he hasnt been in the time he saw during the second half of december. with 20 minutes of play over 7 straight games, he was putting up about 4 ppg and 2 apg on around 25% shooting.

and atkins has a sports hernia. i dont know if hes had the surgey yet (cant be arsed to look it up), but lets assume he has since its been almost 2 weeks now. sports hernia surgery usually takes around 8 weeks to recover from (can range from 6 to 12 weeks, depending on the case). so that puts his return at some point in early march.

still think we can swing it?

*edit*im sry, i dont mean to sound condescending if i am, just trying to point out the issues. once you put thing out there (lets go get carter, it shouldnt be hard), others tend to run with it, whether or not its actually possible.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 01:33 AM
thats assuming atkins > carter, which he hasnt been in the time he saw during the second half of december. with 20 minutes of play over 7 straight games, he was putting up about 4 ppg and 2 apg on around 25% shooting.

and atkins has a sports hernia. i dont know if hes had the surgey yet (cant be arsed to look it up), but lets assume he has since its been almost 2 weeks now. sports hernia surgery usually takes around 8 weeks to recover from (can range from 6 to 12 weeks, depending on the case). so that puts his return at some point in early march.

still think we can swing it?

Na, not if AC is still the starter.

I can still dream though. :elephant

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 01:35 AM
Make fun of me all you want.Ha!

It's not me that has the silly notion that Atkins is a starter. It's the Denver front office. That's why he's making 3 mill and Carter is making 700,000.Who is having a career best year starting at the point for the Nuggets and who is having a career worst year missing months at a time with injuries? Things don't always go according to plan. You're saying the Nuggets are still planning on starting Atkins is like saying the Spurs were still planning on starting Steve Smith over Stephen Jackson in the playoffs.
And that Darius comment was a low blow. I even pointed out to you that I know he's not with the Spurs and I don't know why his contract was still listed...but whatever.Nah, you were acting like there was some possibility for trading his deal. That's open to ridicule.

Lastly, I almost forgot how condescending some of you guys on here are.

You need to lighten up and get the stick out of your ass sometimes. If you disagree with someone that's one thing, but trying to talk down them and make them feel inferior is fucked up.

I'm sorry, I don't follow the Spurs as closely as you do. I'm guessing you get PAID to. If I did, I would too. So you and Timvp do your thing, I'll keep doing mine. Being a casual Spurs fan.I'm not paid to do this. It takes very little time to learn the basics of NBA trades and it's easy for me to defer to the judgment of others on the board who know more about these things than I.

Of course Carter isn't untouchable, but a deal to get him on the Spurs would not be a simple thing. This is why trades don't happen as often as they are discussed.

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 01:37 AM
Ha!

Who is having a career best year starting at the point for the Nuggets and who is having a career worst year missing months at a time with injuries? Things don't always go according to plan. You're saying the Nuggets are still planning on starting Atkins is like saying the Spurs were still planning on starting Steve Smith over Stephen Jackson in the playoffs. Nah, you were acting like there was some possibility for trading his deal. That's open to ridicule.

I'm not paid to do this. It takes very little time to learn the basics of NBA trades and it's easy for me to defer to the judgment of others on the board who know more about these things than I.

Of course Carter isn't untouchable, but a deal to get him on the Spurs would not be a simple thing. This is why trades don't happen as often as they are discussed.

Alright. :bang

Can I at least get a "ya but he is playing good, he'd look real in a Spurs jersey"?

ChumpDumper
01-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Alright. :bang

Can I at least get a "ya but he is playing good, he'd look real in a Spurs jersey"?
He is playing good. I was ok with the signing when it happened. I never thought he could play this well though. Had he never been unable to move as a Spur, who knows what might have happened?

As it is, I think it would be easier to get Sam Cassell right now.

K-State Spur
01-22-2008, 01:46 AM
You'd seriously take Vaughn over Anthony Carter?

As for his career stats, maybe he's having a career year. But those assists and what not are a product of the Denver system. That's not what impresses me. What I like is how tough he is and the way he plays defense. He doesn't back away from anybody and loves getting up into peoples grills.

Even in Carter's 'career year', his PER isn't much better than Vaughn's (13 to 11).

Take into account that Vaughn knows and adapted quickly to the Spurs system, and that he plays the majority of his minutes with the second unit, and it's pretty much a wash between the two of them.

tomcat
01-22-2008, 05:31 PM
Carter's d on Kobe last night was terrific!!

MrChug
01-22-2008, 06:51 PM
:ban:

...just for this level of stupidity.

One strike you're out, and you're struck out so often. You're batting about .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0002.

Dex
01-22-2008, 07:40 PM
But he had that game winning shot in his first game as a Spur!

Dude is clutch!!!!

Trade Spurs for Nuggets!

Please_dont_ban_me
01-22-2008, 09:19 PM

One strike you're out, and you're struck out so often. You're batting about .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0002.

Do I know you?

manufor3
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM

maybe
.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00001