PDA

View Full Version : Ginobili is the key

MaNu4Tres
01-12-2008, 06:07 AM
During this 6-8 skid the last 14 games, I've come to realize that it's not the spurs' age that is the culprit of the play of the spurs as of late. And no it's not barry's absense or even Tony Parker's score first mentality. It's the efficiency of the beloved Manu Ginobili. If you notice he has been forcing the issue more than usual which has lead a dip in his shooting percentage. To prove my point just look at his shooting percentage the past 14 games. Also notice when we win games manu shoots over 45 percent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=3380

timvp
01-12-2008, 06:40 AM
Actually, in the regular season, a good indication of whether the Spurs are going to win or lose is Parker's scoring. When the Spurs lost against the Warriors, that was the first game all year the Spurs lost when Parker scored at least 22 points. The Spurs are also 14-2 when Parker shoots at least 44.6% from the field. Over the years, the Spurs are almost unbeatable in the regular season when Parker is scoring well.

For Ginobili, historically the Spurs do well when he's either hitting three-pointers, racking up assists or getting to the free throw line. When Ginobili is doing those things, that's when the Spurs become dominant. Scoring average and field goal percentage aren't the main indicators when looking to see if Manu is helping the Spurs win.

MaNu4Tres
01-12-2008, 07:14 AM
Everyone knows Ginobili brings more to the table than just scoring that helps the spurs win. I was just stating the obvious, in which during this 6 and 8 skid Ginobili has been forcing the issue and taking low percentage contested shots. It's no fluke that during this 14 game skid Ginobili is shooting 37 percent from the field and 26 percent from three. Especially when he takes a lot of shots, which he has this year more so than previous seasons.

Bruno
01-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Ginobili is the key to everything. Spurs start with Manu and end with Manu.

m33p0
01-12-2008, 10:01 AM
we need all three to play big for the Spurs to win big, that's for sure. anyone know the percentage whenever tim, manu and tony are on?

TMTTRIO
01-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Well yes Manu scoring is important but like we know it's not everything with him. One thing I have noticed is that other than one or two games after Manu has gotten back he has been struggling with his shooting. He says this splint doesn't affect his shooting but lately his shooting has been awful so I don't know.

SequSpur
01-12-2008, 12:00 PM
I think it's the Mountain Cedar.

SAGambler
01-12-2008, 02:04 PM
That splint on his hand has to make any handling of the ball uncomfortable. Even though he says it doesn't bother his shots because the ball is on his fingertips, subconciously I still think the splint affects him.

Be glad to see that thing come off and see if Manu doesn't explode again.

greens
01-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Everyone knows Ginobili brings more to the table than just scoring that helps the spurs win. I was just stating the obvious, in which during this 6 and 8 skid Ginobili has been forcing the issue and taking low percentage contested shots. It's no fluke that during this 14 game skid Ginobili is shooting 37 percent from the field and 26 percent from three. Especially when he takes a lot of shots, which he has this year more so than previous seasons.

I'm a little confused...

Manu didn't play in like 6 games basically during this kinda bad Spurs period that they have been having recently...since he was out with an injury...

So are you comparing the percentages in the past?

bdictjames
01-12-2008, 05:47 PM
we need all three to play big for the Spurs to win big, that's for sure. anyone know the percentage whenever tim, manu and tony are on?
For some reason, whenever all three get to score in bunches, the other members of the team doesn't do its job. We lose, but we lose by just a little margin.

Russ
01-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Actually, in the regular season, a good indication of whether the Spurs are going to win or lose is Parker's scoring.
Parker's scoring is almost completly tied to his ability to penetrate. When Parker is penetrating the Spurs are virtually unbeatable. Therefore, the above comment is correct -- a good indication of whether the Spurs are going to win or lose is Parker's scoring.

Look at the '04 Laker series if you want to see the won-loss difference between when Parker penetrates and when he doesn't.

That said, when Ginobili is playing well, the Spurs are also almost unbeatable. And Ginobili is able to do a variety of things that can't all be taken away at once the way Parker's penetration sometimes can, i.e., by a team packing the paint.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
01-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Well yes Manu scoring is important but like we know it's not everything with him. One thing I have noticed is that other than one or two games after Manu has gotten back he has been struggling with his shooting. He says this splint doesn't affect his shooting but lately his shooting has been awful so I don't know.

Yeah, I still think he hasn't been shooting the outside shot as reliably, as the first 20 games. We'll see when he finally gets that splint taken off...if he still shooting horribly, by then some can say "maybe he's adjusting to playing with-out the splint!"

I hope he's recovered enough to play without it soon though.

MaNu4Tres
01-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Whats funny if you notice and look up his stats in the first month of the season when we were off to the best start in franchise history ginobili was shooting above 50 percent and above 45 percent from 3.

As for Parker, he always finds ways to penetrate. In the past couple of years whenever teams would go under screens and clog the lane up to stop his penetration, his developed jump shot was detrimental to our success . In 04' when lakers played off of him he had no jump shot at the time. Also in 04' we had one star at the time as ginobili and parker were still developing into what they are today.

Russ
01-12-2008, 07:24 PM
As for Parker, he always finds ways to penetrate. In the past couple of years whenever teams would go under screens and clog the lane up to stop his penetration, his developed jump shot was detrimental to our success . In 04' when lakers played off of him he had no jump shot at the time.
I've seen long stretches even now when Parker don't penetrate.

Reliability goes like this: Duncan > Ginobili > Parker.

m33p0
01-12-2008, 07:57 PM
For some reason, whenever all three get to score in bunches, the other members of the team doesn't do its job. We lose, but we lose by just a little margin.
its not just the scoring, but more importantly, the assists and the passes that leads to an assist. when all 3 or even just 2 of them are playing well, they are only in their low 20s but the total assists number of the whole team is up and you get a couple, maybe even 4 other Spurs in their high teens.

pjjrfan
01-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Man you got that right. That Mountain Cedar is a killer. :toast :toast :toast

bigfundamental21
01-12-2008, 11:17 PM
:lmao

Leave it to Sequ to put things in perspective.

meta2007
01-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Manu is the Manu tonight!

Seriously, I think the spurs need to develop some rookies, they need some fresh blood.

greyforest
01-13-2008, 02:06 AM
spurs offense is currently sucking horribly

tim always shows up to play, but he needs either gino or parker to show up as well, and when they both are sucking ass, we lose

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-13-2008, 02:19 PM
The key is having the big three playing as a unit and getting others involved.

I predict we'll see this start happening in about...let's say...two months.